Allagash Grand Cru | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Grand CruAllagash Grand Cru

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Grand Cru is brewed with a touch of peated malt and spiced with coriander, sweet orange peel and a hint of anise. It is deep golden in color, full bodied and has hints of smoke and licorice in the taste and aroma. The malty, warming finish is perfect for colder weather.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last
Reviews: 458 | Ratings: 648
3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

A cloudy amber, hazy gold pour into a 1/2 pint glass at E at the Allagash tasting on Tuesday night. Two finger, foamy white head that left a modicum of webbing with each pull

The nose was phenolic with heavy bananna and clove and esters due to it's slightly citrusy fragrence. Fairly on target for the style. Not bad.

Taste was citrusy, bananas and clove.

Mouthfeel was modest yet malty bringing a citrusy tang to the finish.

It's a drinkable brew but not a session beer. A good effort of this company which makes only Belgian style ales. Keep working on it guys.

3.07/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This looked about the same as Victory's Grand Cru, but it had a fresher scent that had more hops in it. However, the taste was more bland. It was mostly cistrussy sweet with a bit of hops in the aftertaste. There was really no malt to the flavor, or any complexity at all. The texture was watery, with some soapiness to it. This was easier to drink than the Victory because it was so bland (not as sickeningly sweet), but it wasn't rewarding to drink at all.

3.02/5  rDev -26.2%

*did not like would not buy*

app: copper orange type color, like hot apple cider. nice tight lil head

smell: bread biscuit malty booze. neat floral thing is also looming about.

taste: metal, banana yeast, not very spiced, not real malty, not real good. metal went away after the first sip. nothing really growing on me. kinda bland and bad. needs more malt flavor in it, more depth.

mf: the feel is neat, kinda frothy feeling but a zing as well, feels a touch silky or oily, wich is actually kinda neat.

drinkable??: for what it is it is suprisingly a bit drinkable.

it is almost like a part belgium part hefe pale ale.

odd.

2.94/5  rDev -28.1%

On tap at Finnegan's.

A- Light honey gold color. 1-finger foam with some lacing.

S- Some sweet malts with toasted malts

T- Sweet malts, roasted toast/biscuit with a slightly bitter finish.

M- Medium body, light carbonation, and a dry finish.

O- Nothing spectacular. Expected a little more from a "Grand Cru"

2.75/5  rDev -32.8%

I was really excited to try this beer, and since Allagash is such a solid brewery I was really surprised that I... I won't say hate, but I heartily dislike this beer. There's no freshness date on the 12oz bottle, so I guess it could be bad but it didn't taste particularly spoiled, I just didn't like it. Anyway, on to the review.
Pours a murky brown amber color, kind of drab with a bit of fizzly head. Smells like yeast and spices, and also sort of like iced tea or something. Taste just isn't working with me here. Oily and spicy and unrefreshing. Just not what a beer should be in my opinion. Tastes like tea. A little sour tasting too. Yuk. Not particularly impressive in the mouthfeel and the drinkability was horrible, I could taste the alcohol and it wasn't a good mix with the oily spicy herby tastes that were happening. I think I owe it to Allagash to try this one again sometime if I can bring myself to do it, because it seemed to get high marks from everyone else and Allagash is such a strong brewery I was surprised to see such a weak beer from them. Oh well. Live and learn.

2.63/5  rDev -35.7%

Allagash Grand Cru pours a hazy copper with a lumpy, manila head. The head quickly dissipates to leave little lacing. It has spicy smells of clove, coriander and orange peel with hints of fruit…like apple and melon.

It tastes malty and the carbonation is high, a little too high for my tastes. It is spicy and fruity and leaves a medicinal phenol-y taste. It definitely makes me think of a Belgian.
Aftertaste of white pepper. Hmm.

This is an honorable beer, just not something that I would drink all of the time. I am anxious to cellar the rest of these and see how they turn out. I guess for what it is, it is a good example. Again, just not a style for me I guess.

2.4/5  rDev -41.3%

It pours like a homebrew. It ought be light, pale and beautiful, but instead it is a murky, hazy beer that is seriously overcarbonated. That said, the head resulting from a gentle pour is truly a wonder to behold. Look at it!

The appearance I can forgive, but the taste? The wheat malt plays with the (light munich?) and there is a definate presence from the Belgian Biscuit . . . all of that tastes great, it's just the extras. It tastes like lemon zest with a touch of soap and noble hop. The smell is similar to the taste, malt and lemon zest. The mouthfeel alone stands out. The bubbles push through the thinnish body to carass the tongue. Beautiful!

I can't say I'm sad that I only have a half bottle to share. I can say that I regret paying for said bottle.

2.23/5  rDev -45.5%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It darks dark clay red with a big creamy, long lasting light tan head and great lacing.

It smells sour like tea, and hints of hops and citrus.

Things were off to a good start and I had high hopes, then I drank it. Horrible.

There is light tea taste, overall its a very simple soft taste with lots of taste. There are hints of nutmeg and cinammon as well.

A very poor effort.