Coolship Cerise

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Coolship CeriseCoolship Cerise
Notes: Coolship Cerise is our spontaneous beer aged with a blend of Maine-grown cherries, including Balaton and Montmorency. Using local cherries makes our Cerise uniquely Maine, just like us.
Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 335 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

Apr 13, 2012
claytong from Vermont

Feb 05, 2012
MaineBrewing from Maine

A - Poured winelike in color, like a rose, with more purple. Head dissipated quickly, for the mere seconds it lasted, it was a large bubbled loose white head. It fizzled like I was pouring a sprite. No lacing, looks flat, but expected for the style.

S - Crazy range of sour notes, intense. Fruity, dirty, some plastic. Smell the sourness and wild yeast, use your imagination.

T - The first sip I get this very prevalent spice flavor, almost cinnamon. I like it, gives it a pop. I dont get much for cherry, unless that is the cherry flavor. This taste lingers through, I wonder if this is the signature of industrial way wild yeast? Either way it is unique to this brew, peppery, spicy, big red gum, sour, must.

M - Flat as expected, slow slow sipping, acid finish, vinegary. Ive had a range of sours and this is more on the intense in your face side, by no means subtle.

O - On the more intense side of sours, more a sipper than a refresher. The unique flavor keeps me coming back. The fact this was spontaneously fermented in Maine also excites me. I probably wont give this review justice as I am not a big sour drinker, but I would recommend this as a great and unique example of the style.

Jun 11, 2015
poppollutesminds from New Jersey

4.09/5  rDev -6%

Feb 21, 2016
TheBeerAlmanac from Kentucky

Mar 25, 2014
hopkrid from Florida

4.35/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sep 29, 2017

polishkaz from Connecticut

Jul 17, 2013
tony223366 from California

4.29/5  rDev -1.4%

A: tons of action in this brew. Head is about 1 finger and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Lots and lots of small bubble action. That I like. It's an interesting color. It's golden/amber mixed with pink. I'm guessing that's from the cherries. Really foggy.

S: I get some definite funk which I'm psyched about. It's more gum bag than horse blanket because of that great acidic sour quality. The cherries are absolutely present. It's incredibly inviting.

T: Whoa. First off congrats to Allagash. This is a really complicated brew. Tons of layers. First thing that strikes me is the funk. Not quite as dominant immediately as the aroma would have lead me to believe. I do get some malt but it immediately turns to a nice acetic sourness. Nice even balance between that funk and the sour. The cherries are surprisingly difficult for me to zero in on. The flavors are primarily sour funk. Great dry finish with a touch of stale-ness. The oak is most present on the finish.

M: Very light body with some prickly carbonation. Turns frothy in the mouth. Puckers the mouth a bit.

O: Allagash has done something special. It's not quite perfect but it's close. I love the bottle and the little card you can get that describes the coolship process. Keep it up!

Dec 29, 2011