Allagash Coolship Cerise | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Coolship Cerise is our spontaneous beer aged with a blend of Maine-grown cherries, including Balaton and Montmorency. Using local cherries makes our Cerise uniquely Maine, just like us.

Added by gregc on 06-02-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 56 | Ratings: 307
4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

A: tons of action in this brew. Head is about 1 finger and quickly dissipates to a light coating. Lots and lots of small bubble action. That I like. It's an interesting color. It's golden/amber mixed with pink. I'm guessing that's from the cherries. Really foggy.

S: I get some definite funk which I'm psyched about. It's more gum bag than horse blanket because of that great acidic sour quality. The cherries are absolutely present. It's incredibly inviting.

T: Whoa. First off congrats to Allagash. This is a really complicated brew. Tons of layers. First thing that strikes me is the funk. Not quite as dominant immediately as the aroma would have lead me to believe. I do get some malt but it immediately turns to a nice acetic sourness. Nice even balance between that funk and the sour. The cherries are surprisingly difficult for me to zero in on. The flavors are primarily sour funk. Great dry finish with a touch of stale-ness. The oak is most present on the finish.

M: Very light body with some prickly carbonation. Turns frothy in the mouth. Puckers the mouth a bit.

O: Allagash has done something special. It's not quite perfect but it's close. I love the bottle and the little card you can get that describes the coolship process. Keep it up!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

A true gem from Allagash. This fantastic sour is all that and more. Great carbonation, beautiful rose color, incredible cherry melon smell that is quite earthy and robust.

A great lingering tartness just sticks around and begs for more.

Allagash is on the verge of something truly special on this side of the pond and I'm for one excited.

A - Poured winelike in color, like a rose, with more purple. Head dissipated quickly, for the mere seconds it lasted, it was a large bubbled loose white head. It fizzled like I was pouring a sprite. No lacing, looks flat, but expected for the style.

S - Crazy range of sour notes, intense. Fruity, dirty, some plastic. Smell the sourness and wild yeast, use your imagination.

T - The first sip I get this very prevalent spice flavor, almost cinnamon. I like it, gives it a pop. I dont get much for cherry, unless that is the cherry flavor. This taste lingers through, I wonder if this is the signature of industrial way wild yeast? Either way it is unique to this brew, peppery, spicy, big red gum, sour, must.

M - Flat as expected, slow slow sipping, acid finish, vinegary. Ive had a range of sours and this is more on the intense in your face side, by no means subtle.

O - On the more intense side of sours, more a sipper than a refresher. The unique flavor keeps me coming back. The fact this was spontaneously fermented in Maine also excites me. I probably wont give this review justice as I am not a big sour drinker, but I would recommend this as a great and unique example of the style.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 8, courtesy of Auror. Poured into a tulip.

A - Pours a hazy, orangey pink, with a fizzy, short-lived head, but lots of effervescence climbing up the edges to maintain a ring.

S - I got a whiff of cherries as soon as I popped the cork, and it follows through on that promise. Tart, acidic cherries, all the way through. A touch of nice funkiness, too. I like it.

T - Tart cherries up front, again, followed by an acidic prickle and nice sour pucker. This isn't quite a no-holds-barred sour, though; it's somewhat mellow compared to some of the more intense krieks out there. There's interesting funky complexity, it almost tastes like it has some cinnamon and nutmeg. Reminds me of cherry pie!

M - Rather smooth, with a pleasant level of acidity. Most of the carbonation fled shortly after the pour.

Overall, I'm a fan. It's a very tasty kriek, but it doesn't taste quite like any I've had before.

Pours a gorgeous grapefruit pink with a thin white head that fades quickly. Funky sour aromas fill the room as soon as the cork is popped - mouth starts watering. Aromas are pretty damn fantastic sour cherry skins, funky wet, acetic, it's very complex. The cherries are surprisingly delicate in the flavor, you really have to look for them but they add an amazing color and complexity, deliciously deep sour. Acidity is perfect, just enough to not ignore but not so much that it hits you in the jowls.

One of the most well-rounded sours I've ever had, blew my mind.

3.96/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from bottle into a snifter. All in all it is a nice offering from Allagash. It is not a Cantillon, but pretty darn good none the less. Has a great mellow tart funkiness with superb finish. The cherries add to the tartness. The head was a white diminishing head that didn't last too long. Nice rose color that was kind of cloudy from bottle conditioning. If you can't get a hold of a Cantillon Kriek, then go for this one!

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last