Allagash White | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash WhiteAllagash White

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States

Style: Witbier

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 1,363 | Ratings: 5,172
4.22/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice. I wish it were summer because this is a perfect summer beer. Just like the Hefes, only not as wheat tasting. Better than other's I've tried. What can I say? It was yellow, cloudy, very carbonated, little head and smelled lemony, with a nice bitter element. It looked like light beers, like IC Light, but cloudy. Mouth was thin, but foamed really well and went down with the bitter tones of pales I've had. This was light and cried for lemon slice, just as an attraction. It's a crime to put fruit with beer, but this one, needed it. Without, the lemon citrus flavor, with the light wheat flavor, with more bitter hops finish, this was like a Hefe, only not as creamy, more hops flavor, this was the best White I've had.

Great. I'd buy it again. This would be something I'd trade out for my brother's Rolling Rock. I like RR because it's light, but this has real flavor, maybe I'll get him to dig this too.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a fluffy white head over a hazy straw colored body. Decent head retention and lace. Aromas of coriander, orange and yeast. Slightly tangy taste combines with a mild sweetness, spiciness and a hay-like character. Light floral hop bitterness in the background. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a light nip of bitterness from the hops.

A refreshing and well-balanced wit. The spices are definitely noticeable, but not over the top and lend an interesting character.

2.84/5  rDev -31.1%

01/13/06- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a chalice like glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...with the kidney stones in tact (yeast clumps). Zero head retention and zero lacing. Lifeless.

Smell- Not much of anything. Sniffing a bit deeper there is a bit of sweetness with a bit of spice tang.

Taste- Mild sweetness with a touch of corriander and white pepper as well as some other spices. Maybe some orange rind as well.

Mouthfeel- Lifeless, next to no carbonation.

Drinkability- I'm hoping really hard that this bottle is past it's prime. Just not a good beer in this case. If it had some carbonation and some life to it, we may be talking a different story. Every Allagash brew I have had to date was above average, so I will try this again at a later date and re-review if necessary.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

My first Allagash beer...poured into a large red wine glass with a cloudy orangish yellow color and near perfect head retention. Smell was spicy and buttery with a definite presence of orange peel and some other light fruits. Taste was hoppy and sweet, with all of the fruit characters making themselves known. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, hoppy and incredibly balanced. What really stuck out for me with this beer was how refreshing it was. The alcohol presence is also a plus, given that it is barely noticeable, making it quite easy to drink. This is a stellar belgian style beer that I haven't really had too much experience with in the past, but will certainly be having mroe of in the future. Three cheers for Allagash

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Features the same very hazy, very pale color as any good whitbier. Very small head.

Lemon citrus scent with yeast underneath.

The taste is excellent. I've really been getting into whitbiers lately. This has to be one of the best ones I've had yet. Lots of complexity. The lemon-citrus hits you at first, but the finish is even better. Some spice comes through, and it leaves you feeling very satisfied.

The mouthfeel is unique - at first a burst of carbonation hits your tongue, but it quickly smoothes out and disappears.

Great drinkability. I'll be having this again - hopefully in a 750ml bottle.

I tried this beer for the first time the night before the New England Beer Festival back in October. Out at Linwood's up in Boston, and a few people told me to have this since I was a big fan of the Sam Adam's White Ale. When I went back up to New England for the Holiday party at the Harpoon Brewery, I picked up a 6-pack of this for the fridge back here in Jersey. It was certainly worth the effort and the haul!

The beer poured a nice, opaque goldenrod. Worth the swirl to get the yeast and head going, but it only poured about a finger's worth of height in my pint glass. Not a lot of lacing, but the flavoring is wonderful on this. Banana, coriander, and a bit of bubble gum can be tasted while the aftertaste is very malty. Not a lot of spice, nor a lot of blandness here. It's a pleasant mix that this brew offers and it almost takes me forward 3 or 4 months to spring or warmer weather. It's that mellow and well crafted!

I'm still getting used to the witbier style and taste. Hoegaarden was always one of my favorites and one of the beers that got me going away from the mass-market swills that I used to consume. The Allagash White has furthered my interest in this style, and I look forward to sampling more witbiers in the future. Very enjoyable and worth sampling!

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellowish color with a thin but creamy looking off white one finger head.

S: Smells very lemony but also very citrusy with a spicy kick in there also.

T: Tastes lemony at first with a citrusy finish, but not much body to it.

M: Very good mouthfeel, sweet and smooth with a little more carbonation than I thought it would have.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. Love the Wit's and Allagash brews a good bunch of them.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Bright yellow in colour and somewhat hazy. Strong carbonation. Strong lemon aromas, with more subtle hints of grapefruit and black pepper. The coriander comes through much stronger in the mouth, and there’s even a bit of grassy hop flavor in there too... along with your typical citrus/banana/bubble gum wit flavors. A bit more bitter and grassy than I would like, and the body is a touch watery, but this is still a solid wit.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Lightly cloudy daffodil yellow. The cap is as bright white as freshly fallen snow and is ever so slowly melting away with the gentle popping of thousands of tiny surface bubbles. A short, thick collar is being pulled along as the head descends, some remaining behind as attractive lace.

The nose is witbier wonderful. Some wits have too much spice, some not enough. Some lack citrusiness, others smell artificial. This one smells juuust right. It possesses an intriguing mix of bright, lemon zestiness and warm coriander spice, both humming along on a lightly sweet, soft wheaty undercurrent. I hope the beer tastes as incredible as it smells.

Allagash White is an exceptional witbier. In my experience, most craft breweries have a slightly different take on the style. I love Allagash's since it dovetails so beautifully with my preferences. Far from being a mere vehicle for the other flavors, the underlying ale is rock solid. It's pale maltier than most, with a sugar cookie-like sweetness that is softened by the addition of a generous quantity of wheat.

Wits are all about the top notes, though, and that's where this one really shines. There's a perfect amount of spiciness. Coriander is the clear ringleader, but I wouldn't be surprised if cardamom is present as well (the beer just has that spicy, exotic, cardamom bite). Gliding farther up the register, we have abundant lemon and orange peel notes. This is a beer that delivers on all levels.

As I stare sadly at my glass and realize that there are only a few ounces remaining, I'm struck by the sheer palate-busting flavor of this beer. It's bold and aggressive while retaining an amazing degree of approachability and drinkability (characteristics of all great beer, in my opinion). The mouthfeel is more than up to the task and provides a medium-full, silky smooth lushness that is a sensual treat quite apart from the flavor itself. Outstanding.

After drinking and enjoying the hell out of Allagash Grand Cru, I knew they were capable of great things. Even so, I wasn't prepared for the magnificence of Allagash White. It delivers on every item from my 'witbier wishlist', combines them into one amazing package and ties it all up with a perfect ribbon of drinkability. Allagash is rapidly ascending the list of my favorite U.S. craft breweries.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

It's snowing out and I'm delaying finishing my final project of my college career.

The beer pours a light golden hue. It is cloudy with bits of sediment and a medium sized white head. The aroma is very refreshing, quite citrusy with hint of spices. The taste is very crisp and refreshing with complex lemony citrus flavors along with hints of spices and a subtle hop finish. The beer is very drinkable and would probably be more enjoyed on a warm summer day. Very good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Popped a bottle, followed the pouring instructions on the bottle. Poured a light cloudy yellow. Nice foamy white head. Great bubbly carbonation in my tulip glass.

Light citrus and spice aroma.

Very light and crisp, full of clove and coriander. Sweet fruit juice flavors. Citrusy and spicy. Bubbles tickle my nose. A tangy yeast aftertaste. Very crisp and clean making me want more.

Very balance and smooth, I put the entire bottle down quiker than I wanted, it was very good.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

I recently came back to this delicious brew, having been away from it for about a year. It pours golden/yellow with some haze and a medium sized head. It's a light-style Wit, not packing a huge punch...but a huge punch isn't needed when enjoying this beer. Smells a little "airy" and I'm still trying to come up with just which spices are included as the label states it has some. Coriander, I think. Completely drinkable, in fact should come in a 12 pack so I wouldn't have to make another trip to the store. Ah well, off to pick up more...

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

This one pours a cloudy golden color with a tall white head.
Its aroma is of spice and a little yeast.
The taste is a little watery, even for a white. The flavors come in stronger after you have given it time to warm up a bit. The spice and yeast flavors are most powerful in the aftertaste.
Mouth feel is light bodied and slightly carbonated.

This is an alright brew, but it leaves me wanting something with more flavor.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Charlesw for this one in trade.

Served refrigerated, which is unusual for me (I prefer cellar temp) this beer pours hazy yellow, and if you follow the bottle directions to resuspend the yeast you will be rewarded with a big white head that quickly crashes to a thin lace and edge ring.

Smell is sweet and spicy over a wheat background; full and enticing.

Taste is sweet, lemon citrus and spicy corriander, VERY NICE !

This is my wife's favorite style; she likes 'White' (Witbier), and this is better than most.

Mouthfeel is nice, full, clean & balanced.

Drinkability; this would be a great refreshing summer beer. If I could routinely obtain it, I would keep it in stock.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

On-tap at Kelly Cole's Improper.

Came out in a glass mug with a slice of orange (which was removed) and a short head. Lovely aroma, a little spicey and citrus. Easy drinking and delicious. Bit of orange flavor and nothing very unexpected, but a very solid brew, great representation of the style.

Here's a great belgian white that'll make any Blue Moon drinking friends wonder how they've ever lived without this beer.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Straw yellow color with white head that leaves behind beautiful lacing. Aromas of bananas, nuts, yeast, and wheat. The taste is sweet and spicey. The aftertaste is smooth with a hearty texture. An enjoyable beer that can be had, but might be too fruity to have several in one sitting. Another good selection from Allagash!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

The directions on the bottle instruct you to pour the beer, then swirl the remaining yeast, then pour the dregs on the top. I strongly suggest following these steps. The first bottle I tried, I poured carefully....the result was a boring, transparent straw colored beer with no aroma. Following the directions yields a hazy, cloudy, light straw colored beer with white highlights along the edges...much more appealing and visually interesting. A very small head. The coolest part of the pour was watching the yeast disperse into the beer...it spreads out like a blob. Pouring in this manner also releases a wonderful aroma. I get a muted sweetness with a touch of spices that compliment it well. The taste is initially filled with a belgian spiciness, which eventually yields to a subtle sweetness. I don't pick up any orange or orange peel, but some coriander hits me in the aftertaste. I'm left with a pleasant amalgamation of these tastes on my tongue for quite a while after the swallow. This is a wonderfully quenching and tasting beer. I can't stress enough however, to pour properly to release its full visual and aromatic potential.

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%

How do you know when a beer is good? When you have publicly stated several times that you don't particularly care for the style of beer, but you absolutely love this one in particular. I've never been a big witbier fan, you see, but this beer -- well, this beer makes up for all the blah witbiers I have had before.

Had on tap at the NY Sports Grill at JFK airport, a big 22 oz. glass I believe that showed off this beer's nearly indescribable incandescent foggy orange-yellow with a thick meringue head. I rarely give a beer "exceptional" on the appearance, but this one gets it.
The smell is a gentle harbinger of things to come -- mellow citrus (orange and lemon), a little clove, a little coriander. The taste is out of this world -- at once sweet, fruity, dry, crisp, and refreshing. The orange/lemon notes just jump out at you, but it is not cloying in any way. More like a sweet yet slightly bitter lemon/orange zest. Coriander and white pepper notes join the party, along with some slightly tropical fruit, like banana, and then a little clove, mild hop zing, and fairly dry champagne like finish. The balance is unbelievable. The mouthfeel is really nice -- just a perfect delicate carbonation that doesn't fill the tummy too much.

I have a certain BA buddy who shall remain nameless (his BA handle rhymes with foolteacher) who says he doesn't care that much for Allagash beers. He is crazy.

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%

12 oz. screw-top, no dates.

Cloudy, the color of hay. Full of very small and rather large bits suspended in there. Bone-white head goes quickly. A little lacing, not much.

Smell is spicy, coriander, clove, and a touch of citrus and maybe banana.

Beautifully balanced sweet-bitter-spicy flavor. Sweet pale malts and a gentle, grainy bitterness with woody spice and hints of lemon zest at the edges. Excellent. Tilts toward the bitter side on the finish.

Airy, lively on the tounge, warming in the gullet. Very nice. I feel buoyant.

A very pleasant experience. Refreshing and uplifting, mostly from the feel of the stuff in the mouth. ABV is 5.5? Could've fooled me. Makes me pretty happy and rosey, and I've had a crappy day. Worked like a charm. Try some.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

Batch #21 750 ml. caged and corked.
A: Pale, cloudy, light yellow with a frothy white head and good lacing.
S: Wheaty/hay, with citrus and spices dominated by coriander and pepper, and also a faint hint of creamy vanilla to supplement and round off the pepper. Quite nice.
T: Parallels nose with flavors of coriander, hay, and tangy orange and lemon peel coming through at first taste. Subsequent sips bring definate spice taste-pepper and other spices shine through and are balanced nicely against citrus hops. Spicier than most wits, which I liked. I don't recall so much spice being present on-tap.
MF: Light, but fills the mouth with fizzy bubbles.
Overall: An excellent wit that is rounded in flavor with a nice spice to it. Definately worth a try and should become a staple. A great example of an American Wit!

3.75/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear light apple juice color with a blond hue, frothy white head with some lacing, and lots of carb action.

Has an interesting roasted caramel malt smell with some resin and citris hops aromas.

Lightly/moderately sweet/acidic, lightly bitter, and nutty/grainy malt taste with a flowery grapefruit/orange and salt free soy sauce hops flavor.

Light bodied, dry texture, soft carbs, and a smooth but weak and lacking finish.

A good session beer for some however too weak for me although I just had the Whole Foods 25th which could have altered my taste buds.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Allagash White pours a cloudy, dull yellow color, capped by a very white head that provides pretty good lacing. It smells citrusy, wheaty and yeasty, and supposedly of coriander, though I have yet to specifically indentify what coriander smells like. Tastes great, similar to the smell, but buttressed by some pepperiness and breadiness. Not really any hop presence. Feels nice and thick in your mouth. Just a great refreshing beer.

Potentially amusing disclosure: Allagash White was one of the first craft beers I ever bought, and I thought it tasted like soap at the time.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Slightly murkier than a Hoegarden.

S: Lots of cloves, a little citrous fruit and other spice.

T: Lots of cloves. If you swirl the sediment, you get a lot more corriander. Nice fruity taste, not too much rind, certainly more flavour than the Ho.

M: Moderate body & carbonation. More body than the Ho.

D: Great.

Thanks Kevin!

3.22/5  rDev -21.8%

I was all ready gear up for this one because it looked special with the batch number and it came in a 750ml bottle. I was excited till I had my first sipp. I said wait a minute, here. This one reminded me of the beer Hoegaaden. And from then on I was let down by comparing the similarity of the two beers. Mainly the price.

The beer is a cloudy, whitish golden hay in color. The low head quickly dissipates. A little more head would have been better.

Smell is just wonderful. Wheat, hay, yeast, coriander, and undetected spice. The light fruitiness of this beer is just perfect, I love the smell. Hops are kept to a minimum.

Carbonation is moderate and the body around the middle of the thin range.

Taste is of wheat, coriander, citrus peel, and a bit of spicy hops. Finish is dry.

Honestly, I could of had a Hoegaaden but it's alright for special events leaving the bottle out for marketing status.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

From batch #18 in a 750mL bottle.
A damned fine witbier. Hazy gold color, bright white head, semi-sticky lacing.
Smells fresh, wheaty and spicy.
The flavor is as the smell with some citrus/lemon notes in the background, and perhaps in a twang/tartness. Definately has some coriander in here.
Did I mention this is a damned fine witbier? Reminds me of a lighter Southampton's Double White... which makes sense seeing as how this has quite a bit less alcohol.... makes me want to try Allagash's 10th Anniversary.
With the alcohol considered, there is a bit too much sourness in the mouthfeel... but all in all this makes for a pleasant experience.
It seems to me that Allagash and Ommegang have a wee bit of a kind of rivalry going on (seeing as how they both stick to Belgian styles thus far). I find both to be amazing quality/value choices, and I think Ommegang is a little bit ahead so far, but this is a tastier witbier than Ommegang's Witte.
And, yes, a damned fine witbier.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company