Allagash White | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Witbier

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 1,370 | Ratings: 5,240
3.89/5  rDev -5.6%

Everytime i order this beer they refer to it 'like hoegarden,' but I definitely has a taste and presentation all its own. Presented in Allagash white glass with lemon. Great foamy head with a strong lemon/citrus zing. A little bitter on the aftertaste, but overall it is very smooth. Lightly carbonated and easy drinkability make this a very refereshing beer.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Whoo, starts with a balmy lemon yellow, cloudy with the lil’ yeast soldiers intermixed to haze it throughout. Fast dying white head, but a nice sticky lace ring slid down the glass. (point deduction - no bottle dating).

And the aroma, a captivation mixture of Belgium yeasts with heavy spring spices of clove and coriander. Crisp & tart, a lemon drop touches on the finish. I can’t imagine plopping a fruit wedge in here, it stands on it’s own quite well.

This would be a spring/summer favorite, if it were available on a wider scale in the mid-west. I’ll keep my eye out for it in the future. A very refreshing brew, and a good candidate for the session status.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours hazy yellow with thin foamy head.Can smell hints of orange and coriander. Very smooth feel. Medium bodied. Crisp, clean, lightly carbonated. Taste is ever so slightly sweet, a faint orange and clove flavor.
Have not found this beer in Kentucky. I brought it back from Chicago on a dorm run. Found the Allagash White in a quaint little liquor store in Downtown Chicago. I was looking for a new brew and hit the jackpot. This White, in my humble opinion, is the one all other Whites should be judged by. I have tried others and thought the original Belgian was probably the best so this was a pleasant surprise.
Allagash has a unique, unbelievably refreshing taste that I don't think can be topped in its class. My hats off to Allagash.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

This beer poured a hazy, light golden color with a bit of white head. There is a nice citrusy aroma of orranges, corriander, lemon that is pleasing to the nose. The taste is a nice low carbonated, citrus fest for the mouth. This is a refreshing beer with a bit of bitterness that rounds out this white beer. Very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Chalky straw with a nice foamy head. Lovely apricot-pepper-lemon zest nose. Taste too is peppery and loaded with citrus and coriander. Very refreshing. Solid underlying malt backbone and subtle bitterness. Spicy and thirst quenching at the same time. Very complex for the style.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer came a foggy yellow with apricot highlights and a thin white head that had a big bald spot in the middle. Smells of spicy fruits with coriander and oranges and a chalky marshmallow base. Tastes super fruity with dates, melons and lemons with a fine nutty and banana yeast. The mouth feel is medium bodied with a light carbonation. This is a nice and easy drinking beer that has a smooth combination of flavors.

3.83/5  rDev -7%

This is a very good every day beer. It is a cloudy yellow appearance, with a small head that retains well. I think it has a predominately spicy odor, with some fruitiness also. It tastes spicy (coriander) and fruity (lemon). Good mouthfeel, not too carbonated, and quite smooth. A person could sit down and drink a few of these.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice. I wish it were summer because this is a perfect summer beer. Just like the Hefes, only not as wheat tasting. Better than other's I've tried. What can I say? It was yellow, cloudy, very carbonated, little head and smelled lemony, with a nice bitter element. It looked like light beers, like IC Light, but cloudy. Mouth was thin, but foamed really well and went down with the bitter tones of pales I've had. This was light and cried for lemon slice, just as an attraction. It's a crime to put fruit with beer, but this one, needed it. Without, the lemon citrus flavor, with the light wheat flavor, with more bitter hops finish, this was like a Hefe, only not as creamy, more hops flavor, this was the best White I've had.

Great. I'd buy it again. This would be something I'd trade out for my brother's Rolling Rock. I like RR because it's light, but this has real flavor, maybe I'll get him to dig this too.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a fluffy white head over a hazy straw colored body. Decent head retention and lace. Aromas of coriander, orange and yeast. Slightly tangy taste combines with a mild sweetness, spiciness and a hay-like character. Light floral hop bitterness in the background. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth in the mouth with a light nip of bitterness from the hops.

A refreshing and well-balanced wit. The spices are definitely noticeable, but not over the top and lend an interesting character.

2.84/5  rDev -31.1%

01/13/06- Purchased at Sun Devil Liquors in Mesa, AZ.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a chalice like glass.

Appearance- Urine yellow in color...with the kidney stones in tact (yeast clumps). Zero head retention and zero lacing. Lifeless.

Smell- Not much of anything. Sniffing a bit deeper there is a bit of sweetness with a bit of spice tang.

Taste- Mild sweetness with a touch of corriander and white pepper as well as some other spices. Maybe some orange rind as well.

Mouthfeel- Lifeless, next to no carbonation.

Drinkability- I'm hoping really hard that this bottle is past it's prime. Just not a good beer in this case. If it had some carbonation and some life to it, we may be talking a different story. Every Allagash brew I have had to date was above average, so I will try this again at a later date and re-review if necessary.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

My first Allagash beer...poured into a large red wine glass with a cloudy orangish yellow color and near perfect head retention. Smell was spicy and buttery with a definite presence of orange peel and some other light fruits. Taste was hoppy and sweet, with all of the fruit characters making themselves known. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, hoppy and incredibly balanced. What really stuck out for me with this beer was how refreshing it was. The alcohol presence is also a plus, given that it is barely noticeable, making it quite easy to drink. This is a stellar belgian style beer that I haven't really had too much experience with in the past, but will certainly be having mroe of in the future. Three cheers for Allagash

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Features the same very hazy, very pale color as any good whitbier. Very small head.

Lemon citrus scent with yeast underneath.

The taste is excellent. I've really been getting into whitbiers lately. This has to be one of the best ones I've had yet. Lots of complexity. The lemon-citrus hits you at first, but the finish is even better. Some spice comes through, and it leaves you feeling very satisfied.

The mouthfeel is unique - at first a burst of carbonation hits your tongue, but it quickly smoothes out and disappears.

Great drinkability. I'll be having this again - hopefully in a 750ml bottle.

I tried this beer for the first time the night before the New England Beer Festival back in October. Out at Linwood's up in Boston, and a few people told me to have this since I was a big fan of the Sam Adam's White Ale. When I went back up to New England for the Holiday party at the Harpoon Brewery, I picked up a 6-pack of this for the fridge back here in Jersey. It was certainly worth the effort and the haul!

The beer poured a nice, opaque goldenrod. Worth the swirl to get the yeast and head going, but it only poured about a finger's worth of height in my pint glass. Not a lot of lacing, but the flavoring is wonderful on this. Banana, coriander, and a bit of bubble gum can be tasted while the aftertaste is very malty. Not a lot of spice, nor a lot of blandness here. It's a pleasant mix that this brew offers and it almost takes me forward 3 or 4 months to spring or warmer weather. It's that mellow and well crafted!

I'm still getting used to the witbier style and taste. Hoegaarden was always one of my favorites and one of the beers that got me going away from the mass-market swills that I used to consume. The Allagash White has furthered my interest in this style, and I look forward to sampling more witbiers in the future. Very enjoyable and worth sampling!

3.65/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pours a hazy golden yellowish color with a thin but creamy looking off white one finger head.

S: Smells very lemony but also very citrusy with a spicy kick in there also.

T: Tastes lemony at first with a citrusy finish, but not much body to it.

M: Very good mouthfeel, sweet and smooth with a little more carbonation than I thought it would have.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. Love the Wit's and Allagash brews a good bunch of them.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Bright yellow in colour and somewhat hazy. Strong carbonation. Strong lemon aromas, with more subtle hints of grapefruit and black pepper. The coriander comes through much stronger in the mouth, and there’s even a bit of grassy hop flavor in there too... along with your typical citrus/banana/bubble gum wit flavors. A bit more bitter and grassy than I would like, and the body is a touch watery, but this is still a solid wit.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Lightly cloudy daffodil yellow. The cap is as bright white as freshly fallen snow and is ever so slowly melting away with the gentle popping of thousands of tiny surface bubbles. A short, thick collar is being pulled along as the head descends, some remaining behind as attractive lace.

The nose is witbier wonderful. Some wits have too much spice, some not enough. Some lack citrusiness, others smell artificial. This one smells juuust right. It possesses an intriguing mix of bright, lemon zestiness and warm coriander spice, both humming along on a lightly sweet, soft wheaty undercurrent. I hope the beer tastes as incredible as it smells.

Allagash White is an exceptional witbier. In my experience, most craft breweries have a slightly different take on the style. I love Allagash's since it dovetails so beautifully with my preferences. Far from being a mere vehicle for the other flavors, the underlying ale is rock solid. It's pale maltier than most, with a sugar cookie-like sweetness that is softened by the addition of a generous quantity of wheat.

Wits are all about the top notes, though, and that's where this one really shines. There's a perfect amount of spiciness. Coriander is the clear ringleader, but I wouldn't be surprised if cardamom is present as well (the beer just has that spicy, exotic, cardamom bite). Gliding farther up the register, we have abundant lemon and orange peel notes. This is a beer that delivers on all levels.

As I stare sadly at my glass and realize that there are only a few ounces remaining, I'm struck by the sheer palate-busting flavor of this beer. It's bold and aggressive while retaining an amazing degree of approachability and drinkability (characteristics of all great beer, in my opinion). The mouthfeel is more than up to the task and provides a medium-full, silky smooth lushness that is a sensual treat quite apart from the flavor itself. Outstanding.

After drinking and enjoying the hell out of Allagash Grand Cru, I knew they were capable of great things. Even so, I wasn't prepared for the magnificence of Allagash White. It delivers on every item from my 'witbier wishlist', combines them into one amazing package and ties it all up with a perfect ribbon of drinkability. Allagash is rapidly ascending the list of my favorite U.S. craft breweries.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

It's snowing out and I'm delaying finishing my final project of my college career.

The beer pours a light golden hue. It is cloudy with bits of sediment and a medium sized white head. The aroma is very refreshing, quite citrusy with hint of spices. The taste is very crisp and refreshing with complex lemony citrus flavors along with hints of spices and a subtle hop finish. The beer is very drinkable and would probably be more enjoyed on a warm summer day. Very good beer.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Popped a bottle, followed the pouring instructions on the bottle. Poured a light cloudy yellow. Nice foamy white head. Great bubbly carbonation in my tulip glass.

Light citrus and spice aroma.

Very light and crisp, full of clove and coriander. Sweet fruit juice flavors. Citrusy and spicy. Bubbles tickle my nose. A tangy yeast aftertaste. Very crisp and clean making me want more.

Very balance and smooth, I put the entire bottle down quiker than I wanted, it was very good.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

I recently came back to this delicious brew, having been away from it for about a year. It pours golden/yellow with some haze and a medium sized head. It's a light-style Wit, not packing a huge punch...but a huge punch isn't needed when enjoying this beer. Smells a little "airy" and I'm still trying to come up with just which spices are included as the label states it has some. Coriander, I think. Completely drinkable, in fact should come in a 12 pack so I wouldn't have to make another trip to the store. Ah well, off to pick up more...

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

This one pours a cloudy golden color with a tall white head.
Its aroma is of spice and a little yeast.
The taste is a little watery, even for a white. The flavors come in stronger after you have given it time to warm up a bit. The spice and yeast flavors are most powerful in the aftertaste.
Mouth feel is light bodied and slightly carbonated.

This is an alright brew, but it leaves me wanting something with more flavor.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Thanks to Charlesw for this one in trade.

Served refrigerated, which is unusual for me (I prefer cellar temp) this beer pours hazy yellow, and if you follow the bottle directions to resuspend the yeast you will be rewarded with a big white head that quickly crashes to a thin lace and edge ring.

Smell is sweet and spicy over a wheat background; full and enticing.

Taste is sweet, lemon citrus and spicy corriander, VERY NICE !

This is my wife's favorite style; she likes 'White' (Witbier), and this is better than most.

Mouthfeel is nice, full, clean & balanced.

Drinkability; this would be a great refreshing summer beer. If I could routinely obtain it, I would keep it in stock.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

On-tap at Kelly Cole's Improper.

Came out in a glass mug with a slice of orange (which was removed) and a short head. Lovely aroma, a little spicey and citrus. Easy drinking and delicious. Bit of orange flavor and nothing very unexpected, but a very solid brew, great representation of the style.

Here's a great belgian white that'll make any Blue Moon drinking friends wonder how they've ever lived without this beer.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Straw yellow color with white head that leaves behind beautiful lacing. Aromas of bananas, nuts, yeast, and wheat. The taste is sweet and spicey. The aftertaste is smooth with a hearty texture. An enjoyable beer that can be had, but might be too fruity to have several in one sitting. Another good selection from Allagash!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

The directions on the bottle instruct you to pour the beer, then swirl the remaining yeast, then pour the dregs on the top. I strongly suggest following these steps. The first bottle I tried, I poured carefully....the result was a boring, transparent straw colored beer with no aroma. Following the directions yields a hazy, cloudy, light straw colored beer with white highlights along the edges...much more appealing and visually interesting. A very small head. The coolest part of the pour was watching the yeast disperse into the beer...it spreads out like a blob. Pouring in this manner also releases a wonderful aroma. I get a muted sweetness with a touch of spices that compliment it well. The taste is initially filled with a belgian spiciness, which eventually yields to a subtle sweetness. I don't pick up any orange or orange peel, but some coriander hits me in the aftertaste. I'm left with a pleasant amalgamation of these tastes on my tongue for quite a while after the swallow. This is a wonderfully quenching and tasting beer. I can't stress enough however, to pour properly to release its full visual and aromatic potential.

4.71/5  rDev +14.3%

How do you know when a beer is good? When you have publicly stated several times that you don't particularly care for the style of beer, but you absolutely love this one in particular. I've never been a big witbier fan, you see, but this beer -- well, this beer makes up for all the blah witbiers I have had before.

Had on tap at the NY Sports Grill at JFK airport, a big 22 oz. glass I believe that showed off this beer's nearly indescribable incandescent foggy orange-yellow with a thick meringue head. I rarely give a beer "exceptional" on the appearance, but this one gets it.
The smell is a gentle harbinger of things to come -- mellow citrus (orange and lemon), a little clove, a little coriander. The taste is out of this world -- at once sweet, fruity, dry, crisp, and refreshing. The orange/lemon notes just jump out at you, but it is not cloying in any way. More like a sweet yet slightly bitter lemon/orange zest. Coriander and white pepper notes join the party, along with some slightly tropical fruit, like banana, and then a little clove, mild hop zing, and fairly dry champagne like finish. The balance is unbelievable. The mouthfeel is really nice -- just a perfect delicate carbonation that doesn't fill the tummy too much.

I have a certain BA buddy who shall remain nameless (his BA handle rhymes with foolteacher) who says he doesn't care that much for Allagash beers. He is crazy.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company