Allagash White | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Witbier

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 5,302 |  Reviews: 1,384
3.85/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Surprised I've never reviewed this one before

Pour is pale straw yellow. Decent little white head, dissipates fairly quickly leaving just the edges to lace the glass for the first half before fading entirely.

Nose is wheat and spice. Cloves, a little zipperoo in the corner with a touch of white pepper.

Man, I want molten chocolate volcano cupcakes now.

Err... sorry for the detour, I didn't sleep last night. Now back to our regularly programmed broadcast.

Taste follows the nose's lead, but with further depth and complexity. I know it's intent is more crisp and refreshing than a big bodied bruiser, but even within the style I'm always left wanting a little... more. From this one. If it were the ghost of itself itself would be extremely appetizing. As it is, it's just good, albeit the go-to american wit.

This has been seen as the (white) gold standard for years, even before Peter King expanded his bloviations to include everyone's favourite fermented beverage. Personally, there are others I still prefer (that helped bring me to the style), but this is absolutely a delicious brew if you're looking in this vein.
Also, I'm not a fan of the label. But that really doesn't have shit to do with anything, I'm just feeling irritable.

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Hazy. Golden. Light carbonation. Medium head that fades quickly. Light lacing.

Spicy. Corriander is there. Yeasty, sticky sweet fruit smell. Orange undernotes.

Sweet fruitiness on front, spicy middle with very faint bitterness on back end.

Medium body with crisp finish. A lot of carbonation.

Not necessarily my favorite witbier, but it is an excellent example of the style. Nice balance between spicy and sweet elements, though I've always found this beer to be a bit lacking on the spiciness for my taste. Sharp carbonation burn and crisp finish very welcomed on summer days! A very "popular" beer that offers quality as well.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%