Allagash White | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Witbier

Our interpretation of a traditional Belgian wheat beer. Brewed with a generous portion of wheat and spiced with coriander and Curacao orange peel, this beer is fruity, refreshing and slightly cloudy in appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 5,321 |  Reviews: 1,388

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

3.44/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Appearance 4.5: Poured out with almost no head at all. Very unusual color: a milky gold. Wonderful little flecks of this and that floating around in the beer like stars in a golden galaxy.

-Smell 3.0: Strange. Almost no bouquet at all. Slight smell of yeast and something sour. Not very impressive.

-Taste 3.5: Front is strangely dry and slightly sour. Middle is also dry with a slight yeasty taste and a subtle sweetness. Finish is slightly sour, somewhat sweet and features that distinctive Belgian yeastiness. Aftertaste is short, but heavy with citrus.

-Mouthfeel 3.5: Subdued carbonation, which is a very good complement to this beer style.

-Overall 3.5: A very good beer for this style, but ultimately I did not find it to be outstanding. I imagine it would be wonderful on a hot, summer's afternoon.

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bier Academy in Canyon Country, CA.

Pours a murky light yellow with a white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Chunky rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of wheat, yeast, and spices. Taste is of wheat, yeast, and spices along with a slight perfume flavor that lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but I honestly expected more from this one.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

I love this beer. I find it to be light, crisp, refreshing, elegant. Just a beautiful beer to behold. Taste, smell, look.... Maybe I should stick my finger in to see how it feels. I'll put my ear up to the glass next time to see how it sounds.

As of May 2016, it is the only beer on BA that I have given a perfect score. And I have tried some highly rated beers, the Heady, the Pliney, the KBS etc.

I must admit that I do love a Wit-beer or a hefeweizen. My buddies call me "Old Man Hefeweizen". But this is still my favorite.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very good beer. Poured very good into the glass and was simply fabulous going down. A little bland opposed to a Hoegaarden. Honestly, I would say it tasted much better and fuller than a St. Bernardus Witbier. I would recommend this beer for anyone who loves Witbiers.

Allagash White from Allagash Brewing Company