Allagash Fluxus 2011 | Allagash Brewing Company

Allagash Brewing Company
Maine, United States
allagash.com

Style: Bière de Garde

This year's Fluxus was brewed with Belgian pilsen malt, light munich, malted wheat and a variety of aromatic and colored malts. It was hopped using only Alsatian Brewers Gold . It was then fermented with our house yeast at a lower than typical temperature, resulting in a more subdued ester profile than expressed in our other house yeast beers. Primary fermentation was followed by a cold maturation or "garding" period of six weeks.
The resulting beer is a medium amber colored ale with a smooth lager quality. The aroma presents a complex earthiness and toasted grains, balanced by a fruity candied grape character. The full body highlights a rounded maltiness accentuated by both nutty notes, and spicy hop flavors. The finish is remarkably dry with a wine-like character and light tannins.

Added by Brez07 on 08-02-2011

1.18/5  rDev -68.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass, courtesy of Nanoslug. Thanks!

A: Pours a clear copper body with a finger of off-white beige head. Decent retention, no lace.

S: Smells of dried leaves, wood, apple, and fusel.

T: Tastes of dried leaves, roots, wood, some odd spice (allspice, but it could be nutmeg), overripe red apple, and fusel. Unpleasant.

M: The supple mouthfeel delivers unpleasant flavors. I am not pleased.

O: What the HELL happened here. We opened this right after Coolship Red and marveled that the same hands made those two beers. This one was a drainpour.

2.5/5  rDev -34%

2.88/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

On-tap at Prime 16. Listed there as a Saison, which is what I had in mind while reviewing it. The Bière de Garde classification certainly suits it more closely, although no matter what you call it it still tasted pretty awful.

A: Lightly hazy copper body under a persistent cap of tan foam that leaves spotty lace. Ok, but uninspiring.

S: Strange. Raisins jump out, along with vanilla, clove, and some straight malt sweetness. A little bit of spice. Kinda boring.

T: Sweet, fruity, and nondescript up front, with a bit of spice settling in on the finish. Raisins and overripe apricot are the dominant flavors. I'm not a fan.

M: Soft, creamy medium body. Supple.

O: This struck me as tasting like a blend of 25% Saison with 75% stale ESB. Not pleasant in any way, and not really an interesting failure, either. I expected way more from Allagash, and hope that they put out something better for next year's Fluxus release.

Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Mmm. Little disappointed, but we (w/ some friends) think the barnyard qualities really damage our view. However, I brought this bottle back with me from San Diego to La Crosse, Wis and the baggage was misrouted; the bottle line being that we tasted the beer way before it had a chance to settle down. In any case: Poured with a lagre foamy, frothy, sudsy, cream colored head that slowly settled down and a little lace. Aroma is quite mild but has earth, yeast, fruit, malt, musty. Flavor's very similar to nose plus I pick up some chocolate. Body and carbonation are good. Finish is like flavor and of average length. Meh.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.4/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

On draft at Rustico:

Pours an amber color w/ very little head. Almost no carbonation and very little lacing. Smells are wood, earthy, some funk, pepper and some malt. Taste is about the same profile, with the malt and funk coming through more than in the nose. Somewhat bitter finish. Overall, this beer didn't blow me away. Not sure I would try this one again.

3.42/5  rDev -9.8%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer appears clear and amber hued, with very minimal head, and virtually no lacing. The aroma consists of wine, barrels / wood, apples, and alcohol. The flavor is boozy, fruity, and sweet. Apples soaked in alcohol. The body is thin, with moderately low carbonation. Overall, a bit too boozy / hot, and generally out of balance. Not one of the better offerings from Allagash.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Ok, weird. Sold to me as a Brown Saison in Portland, ME. Sure I'll try it.

Looks like a saison that's brown. No kidding. Murky, big off-white head. Light brown body...murky, too.

Aroma is spicy. Coriander and clove. Banana dipped in caramel. Some nuts. Malty

It's an odd notion, but it's not bad. The caramel gives the spice a bit of a challenge. Notwithstanding the style indicated here, I'd put this more towards the saison realm...with a dash of caramel and nut. Good carbonation is the saving grace. It lifts the somewhat coating texture of the malt to give the spices a chance to shine.

3.48/5  rDev -8.2%

Not impressed. At least this got changed to a Biere de Garde, that's a good sign, second, fusel.

Beer served in a snifter on draft at a local beer bar. Beer is sort of copper to light brown / dark amber, clear, with a thin white head of small bubbles, low carbonation, some lacing.

Aroma of the beer is a little biting, a little woody, a little funk, some sweetness, some alcohol.

This beer has this midpalate bite that I can't get past. It tastes like a tripel I made that I let get way way too hot. It is medium in body and while I don't think it is horrible (see the score I gave it) I don't think it was for me and I don't think I would have it again. There is a fusel alcohol taste to it I can't get past.

Allagash Fluxus 2011 from Allagash Brewing Company