Sophistry 05

Notes: Hops: Citra, Ekuanot Cryo, Rakau, Galaxy, Falconers Flight
Malts: Flaked Oats, Flaked Wheat, Pale ale, Cara Vienna

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 11 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.23/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from pint can into shaker pint glass. Canned on 2/21/20.
A: Pours a clear dark golden yellow hue with 1 inch bubbly/frothy white head with good retention.
S: Lime, soft grapefruit, lemon, white wine, and a hints of orange and pine. Delicately sweet hop bouquet.
T: Tangerine, lemon, white wine, soft grapefruit and pine, and a hint of mango.
M: Light body. Delicately sweet fruit and wine notes. Mildly bitter and astringent.
D: Nicely sessionable. Lovely hop combination!

mwilbur from Minnesota, May 07, 2020
4.02/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From Tavour. Poured this 16 ounces into a Samuel Smith nonic. Appropriate, sort of related. You know, in the (new) England style. Basically, a refreshing NEIPA whose main strength is the bitter hops never try to steal the show. The sweet malt and the tropical hops and the soft grains (oats and wheat) play to what I most appreciate about the style. And deep in my heart I hope the NEIPA displaces the AIPA and evolves the American palate.

This Sophistry series is an important part of Lupulin's offerings. There really is no tricky reasoning here as the name Sophistry implies. This is a genuine, well-balanced NEIPA that doesn't cut corners. For a suspicious malt-head like me, Sophistry 5 is decent fare. So unless I'm missing something like a inside joke, Lupulin should change the name of the series to something like "evolving the palate"... or words to that affect.

My suggestion next time is to print clearly the Number of the series as part of the can's title. This makes it easier so we consumers can figure out which one of the series we are drinking and focus, instead, on the important stuff... our review ! I had to do some sleuth work to be sure which of the sophistry series I was drinking.

Finally, I give some big OA Hugs to Lupulin. While their story is not too different (two family members open a brewery and drag in the others), I do want to note that their taproom is two blocks from the terminus of Minneapolis' commuter line. (I'm also a train geek.) Unfortunately, the line terminated in Big Lake and never got to St. Cloud where it could be useful to the students there and more of the City's people. And why? Because much in Minnesota like the rest of the U.S., no one is in charge of using trains to provide an alternative to the car. It's intentional. But it's not the future... And it has little to do with beer. But excuse my indulgence in my other passion.

5/24/20 My second can from Tavour is recorded over at UnTappd.

Beginner2 from Illinois, Apr 26, 2020
4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

A: The beer is very hazy brownish yellow in color. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that left a large patch of bubbles on the surface, a narrow collar around the edge of the glass, and lots of lacing down the sides.
S: Moderate aromas of papayas and herbal hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste initially starts out as being rather herbal but as it warms up fruitier flavors of limes and notes of papaya, which overshadow the herbs, except in the finish. There is a light to moderate amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and rather juicy in the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This IPA is rather sophisticated with the variety of hops used and it completely changes its taste once it starts to warm up.

Serving type: can

metter98 from New York, Apr 01, 2020
4.06/5  rDev -1%

16 oz can into Yakima Valley hops glass.
When I was speaking to the head brewer/owner of Lupulin, he said this was his finest work IPA-wise yet. It's his personal favorite version of Sophistry. I love talking to brewers who are passionate. So many aren't in my parts, and this guy is. I'm excited too. Let's go!

Pours a rather dark amber-honey color with some lighter shades as its held to the light. The head is tall and volumous, creamy, 2 fingers, lots of lace, nice hop action.

Nice citrusy hop aromas (grapefruit and orange) with hints of blueberry and pineapple, and maybe a shade of mango. Orange marmalade and orange win out.

Heavy citrus on the palate bringing some slight pineapple as well, perhaps hints of blueberry on the back end. Also brings a little grass and a little dank but less than I'd like. Bitter grapefruit and sweet grapefruit. Finish is a bit dirty which if it was cleaned up would really help it along. Some hot yeast also coming into play. As it is sipped more and continues to compound on the palate, the fruit is lost and you get more pine and grass, which begins to negate the juicy aspects of the beer.

Feel is juicy and acidic, though missing the creaminess and depth, and has a moderate alcohol heat with some hanging resins on the finish.

Overall, tonight on my schedule, this beer is following Bearded Iris' Homestyle and Pipeworks NvUvH, both incredible beers, so while it maybe should fall in line with those (ideally), it doesn't nearly stack up, but is still one of the best cans around on shelves around me right now (sad face). Lupulin should definitely keep this and tweak it just a little more. Nothing to be ashamed of. Will likely go back for more if I'm feeling it though King Sue is probably gonna chess that choice.

The-Adjunct-Hippie from South Dakota, Mar 29, 2020