Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) | Baltika Breweries

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)
Liked This Beer
2.82 w/ 685 ratings
Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

Baltika Breweries

Liked:
2.82/5
Alströms:

1.03/5  rDev -63.5%

Ok first off, this came in a PLASTIC bottle, dead giveaway that its gonna be hairy. By "extra strong", I'm assuming it meant extra malt. The aroma was acrid. Imagine malt vinegar you put on boardwalk fries, but on crack&steroids. Yes, its THAT overpowering. The appearance was that of malt vinegar. I could barely get over the disgusting smell before I took a swig. After I swallowed it, the fumes were just too much&it came right back out. I don't mean to bash this product, this is just my firsthand experience when I drank it. Judging by the bottle itself, I'm assuming this is the Russian equivalent to a 40 oz of malt liquor here in the States. To wrap this up, if you wanna say "I drank a Russian 40" and are feeling frisky, by all means try it. If not, its no loss. Just an oddity more or less.

1.06/5  rDev -62.4%

Purchased a relatively fresh can from a Russian Supermarket.

Immediately upon opening, a chemical smell wafted from the can. I have never smelled this in a beer.

The first taste magnified the chemical overtones. Absolutely no malt character. Can only taste the alcohol. Perhaps it's added alcohol that gives this such a bad smell and taste.

This is easily the worst beer I have had in decades/

1.09/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Poor hate tht crap don't buy

1.14/5  rDev -59.6%

1 liter bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing this one?

(A)- Pours a clear pale orange color. Not much head to speak of, but some white bubbles.

(S)- A dry, literally sugary sweet sugar water aroma.

(T)- Same as the smell. Its like drinking sugar water; and alot of sugar at that.

(M)- A low carbonation level. Only flavor that I can detect in this is sugar and alot of it at that.

(D)- Again, its like drinking an alcohol driven, dry sugar water. Almost flavorless and downright almost undrinkable for me.

1.15/5  rDev -59.2%

Appearance: Pale champagne-straw. Fizzy white head breaks down into a cratered, quivering froth, and then into nothing.

Smell: Rock candy, sweet corn. Muffled whisper of dandelion. Mild skunky and sulfuric aromas poke through the sweetness. Slight rubbing alcohol character emerges as it warms.

Taste: Oh my god, who put vodka in my MGD?

Mouthfeel: Sharp, watery, numbing, and abrasive.

Drinkability: This beer is nightmarish. Maybe it would be passable if you drink it ice cold, but otherwise... ugh!

1.16/5  rDev -58.9%

I bought a huge PLASTIC bottle of this for 99 cents as a goof.

The label reads "Extra Strong Lager" in huge letters and also the word "ale" in small print in the upper right hand corner.

Took this over to my friend's house. Bear in mind, either one of us would have been perfectly happy with ice cold PBR.

Wow, this beer is fuckin' disgusting. Smells like witch hazel. Taste is putrid... kinda like bud light mixed with gasoline and cough syrup. We took 2 sips each and flushed the rest down the toilet.

Blech.

1.18/5  rDev -58.2%

Malt Liquor at its worst, an awful beer that gained a vast popularity in the skid rows all over Old World. Generally, it's possible to brew a really strong pale lager, and there are some very successful examples of the style. In St. Petersburg the brewers (or, more likely, managers) were busy only with packing their product with alcohol. Well, they succeeded and offered us a horrible brew. Thanx, no!

1.2/5  rDev -57.4%

Looks like ___, smells like ____.

Tastes like sugar, chalk, flour, ginseng root.

I would rather drink Olde English, not sure about this being better than any 40oz.

I was like hmm 1.99, in with the bombers, maybe they know something cool on the cheap...

Can't even pretend to be cool with this one.

I just take the loss, full responsibility, I need a BMC to bring my taste buds back.

1.21/5  rDev -57.1%

That is the absolutely worst beer i have ever tried.
It tastes like you just vomited. I don't know why it even exists.

1.22/5  rDev -56.7%

Medium sized capped bottle poured into a pint.

Pale yellow, voluminous white head that drops quite quickly, leaving no lacing. It starts looking great, but dissipates rather quickly warning of what is coming.
It smells and tastes like sweetened alcohol; something like very cheap vodka with some sort of soda. Very difficult to qualify any better.
Absolutely horrible, a straight drainpour.

1.22/5  rDev -56.7%

A- 2 inch white foamy head, dissipates slowly. No lacing, golden straw color. Very clear, champaign like appearance. Well carbonated beer, not very attractive overall.
S- very unappealing aroma, smells like your typical college drinking beer, colors, bud light, miller light, some malt and corn characteristics come out, very plain.
T- very very disappointing. I didn't have high expectations for this brew but was hoping for something slightly enjoyable. Metallic aftertaste, slight bitterness, lingering metallic taste after every sip, slight malt flavor stands out. Alcohol is very resent for only being 8% abc.
M- light mouthfeel, very sticky, terrible metallic aftertaste.
O- well what can I say, first beer in 9 months and it has to be one of the worst beers I've ever had, if not the worst. Metallic aftertaste that lingers. This is a beer that I will never drink again.

1.23/5  rDev -56.4%

I have to say that this beer does make for a good presentation in my lager glass. It's straw in color, but not as pale as I had feared it would be. The head is impressive, billowing out to a good 2.5 inches and rising above the glass rim. It's slightly off-white and has the look of marshmallow...not right from the package but from when you scorch the crap out of it over a campfire and then pull off the burnt part. The stuff still stuck to the stick...that's what it looked like before it went bye bye. At least it was nice enough to leave behind a bit of lacing.

The smell is horrid. It smells of the kind of plastic that action figures are made of. You also get some corn and Saaz hops (I think, it's hard to tell). I certainly hope this tastes better than it smells. It doesn't...if at all possible it tastes worse. Take the above and add rubbing alcohol (or acetone) and you'll get the taste. The mouthfeel is even bad...oily with a chemical astringency tearing at the back of your throat. I cannot finish this...it may be only the second or third beer ever that I've poured. I fear that if I do finish this that it will be a sign of alcoholism and that I'll be standing up in the backroom of a church introducing myself. No thank you.

1.25/5  rDev -55.7%

1.25/5  rDev -55.7%

Date: 24.12.11

A: Crystal clear yellow. Almost no head at all.

S: Grain, very mild overall. Hard to get a good sniff with so little carbonation going on.

T: Dry cardboard, with a harsh whiskey finish. Did they just brew weak beer and mix in some cheap whiskey to make it stronger? That's exactly what it tastes like.

M: Almost no carbonation. Mouth is numbing like I've been having shots of whiskey. After just a few sips I already feel a hangover coming on.

O: If you like beer mixed with whiskey, give this a shot. Otherwise, just go have a lot more fun doing shots.

1.28/5  rDev -54.6%

I bought this beer in a 51 ounce plastic bottle mostly because I had never seen such a creature and partially because I wanted to reuse the bottle to bottle homebrew. It's got a hazy yellow-brown appearance with barely any head at all. It smells weird. It smells like old peaches and hay. Or perhaps an 11-year-old Jolly Rancher that nobody wanted to eat because it was apricot. It tastes sickeningly sweet and coats my tounge with an unpleasant chemical-like fruity, dry, hatred. Uuhhhh... I don't know how I'm going to finish this crap...

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries