Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) | Baltika Breweries

poor
good
Read the review
Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

Baltika Breweries
Russian Federation
baltika.ru

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

1.7/5  rDev -38.8%

Well at least it was cheap. This pours a light yellow color with a white head which seemed to quickly go away. The smell isn't anything special, maybe a little sugary, no detectable hops. The mouthfeel is thin with a little carbonation. The taste is terrible, I tried a sample first at the store and i don't remember it being this bad, (in all fairness I tried it right after a sample of Arrogant Bastard so the bitterness of that one much have hid the sweetness of this one). Its sweet malty, corn sugary, zero bitterness to balance it out, yeah this isn't my type of drink. Heck, I'd rather be drink Pabts instead of this if I want a cheap buzz. Not at all my type of beer, but I'm sure it gets the job done, I was told it sells pretty well. I won't be buying again and the second half of the bottle is going down the drain.

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Look: clear yellow gold color with white head.
Smell: Sweet, malts, yeast, straw and some alcohol
Taste: Sweet malts, hay, fat butter and no bitterness. Unbalanced
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Watery body.
Overall: don’t want to spend more words on this one

1.9/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

51 oz plastic bottle split (thank god) into a Duvel tulip.
8.0% ABV, Production date: 02.07.10, Best before 02.04.11

While I purchased this for a whopping $1.98, I truly need to thank Beerwolf77 and Sweemzander for sharing the pain of this style tick.

A - Small particles float through the brew hazing it over slightly. Golden yellow with almost no head even despite the tall, splashy pour.

S - Sweet, sugary cooked corn and pale malt with straw nuances to back it up. Hey, it smells like a stronger BMC! So far it's not THAT bad...

T - Ok, I lie. Malt liquor corn is strong with pale malt and straw. The buttery finish with no hops is disgusting.

M - Medium-bodied and smooth with a creamy feel and salty yet sweet finish.

O - Drain-pour to the max. This beer only has two places in the world; 1) a greasy, popped-collar frat boy's embracing clutches and/or 2) a greasy bum.

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color, with a large white head that fades very quickly and leaves a thin and spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, some alcohol, some lager yeast and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a light malt sweetness followed by bready flavors of grain, adjuncts and lager yeast. A bit of alcohol creeps in which is to be expected for this kind of beer as is the very mild hops presence and lack of balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style which is not much of a compliment, flat out just not a good beer.

2.33/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured at basement-temp in a bomber.

A: clear yellow; great head and good carb, but both dissipate quickly
S: spritzy and malty; whiff of a malt beverage
T: curious; bitter, overpoweringly boozy; not very flavorful; taste is one-dimensional, a straight-up lager
M: a bit harsh

Not a great beer. If you're after getting drunk fast, try a shot of vodka before a beer of some other sort.

2.36/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yea , I didn't a high expectation going into this bottle looking at the previous reviews.

For a "strong" lager this was rather light colored but the carbonation and foam slightly made up for it. The aroma, I just don't know what particular flavor to categorize it as. Possible some fruit or vegetable that's slightly spoiled. The taste, that same mystery flavor, only more of it, along with maybe some corn/grain alcohol. The body seemed watery. It's kinda smooth and the aftertaste didn't hold much of the flavor. I didn't even bother finishing it. So, yea, I don't really recommend this one. and if this is the most popular of the style, I don't see myself seeking others of the style.

до свидания, товарищ

3.17/5  rDev +14%

A: Clear and gold with a puffy white head. A few larger bubbles make up the carbonation appearance.

S: Just smells sweet and yeasty. A little honey. Not much else.

T: Plain old white sugary sweetness, with some pine and raw nuts. A sweetness throws off the balance a bit, but it's still pretty good. Flavor reminds me a bit of mead. Not a complex beer, but then again, it's a lager...so...

M: Flat. A little too viscous. The sweetness plus the lack of carbonation make this not very pleasant to the touch.

O: I did actually like this beer, but it's hard to say why. It's nice and smooth, but the qualities that I like in a great beer just weren't there. The 3.5 for overall is sort of a "correction" for the way I feel about this one.

1.14/5  rDev -59%

1 liter bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing this one?

(A)- Pours a clear pale orange color. Not much head to speak of, but some white bubbles.

(S)- A dry, literally sugary sweet sugar water aroma.

(T)- Same as the smell. Its like drinking sugar water; and alot of sugar at that.

(M)- A low carbonation level. Only flavor that I can detect in this is sugar and alot of it at that.

(D)- Again, its like drinking an alcohol driven, dry sugar water. Almost flavorless and downright almost undrinkable for me.

3.28/5  rDev +18%

A: Clear amber with a big white head and some good linger

S: Heavy malt, light hops and some

T: Starts off with the heavy malt and a twist of green apple and finishes slightly dry

M: Medium body with ok carbonation

Alright beer, nothing unique or special. Enjoyable enough for the time, and I would be willing to try one of the other #'s. But I won't be coming back for another.

1.84/5  rDev -33.8%

Another style tick I've been meaning to nail down. Thanks to BeerFMAndy for shelling out the eye popping $1.98 for this almost 2 liter plastic monstrosity. I'm only thanking him for the tick not for making me drink this vile liquid. Poured from the plastic vessel into a tulip.

A: Cloudy golden amber. Small white head fades fast and leaves some soapy lace.

S: Holy crap this stuff smells rank. Sweet corn, grain alcohol, cheap sex and regret.

T: The flavor pretty much tastes like every other shitty malt liquor on the market. Wet moldy corn husks, sharp grain alcohol, over ripe fruit and pale malt.

M: Thin watery body with biting crisp carbonation.

O: Yep pretty much where I expected it to be. Harsh and nasty. It is what it is though. Style TICK.

2.82/5  rDev +1.4%

16.9 oz bottle date best by 6/2010, so a bit past date but properly stored at least in the last months. Produced June 21,2009.

hazy straw color with moderate white head. Head has decent retention.

aroma makes me think of a beer liquor; i.e. higher alcohol obvious. Odd aroma profile is hard to describe or untangle.

Taste is surprisingly sweet and fruity. Grape juice? Some malt in finish. Too sweet and too low in flavor, especially for high ABV. Interesting but otherwise not recommended.

Mouthfeel: Thin and light with medium carbonation.

1.39/5  rDev -50%

A: The pour is a very pale straw/yellow color with a thin layer of white foam.

S: Smells damp and moldy with some possible fecal notes. Rotting vegetables and a bit time corn aroma. Sickly sweet and cloying. Lots of butter, because we couldn't have a truly excellent beer without that.

T: Cloying sugar and corn sugar. Oh goodness is this bad. Grape juice, cooked vegetables, butter, just awful. Some definite booze flavors, too.

M: Pretty heavy, unnecessarily so, with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Jesus Christ.

3.17/5  rDev +14%

I found this in a bottle at Bevmo.

I liked the color, which is a cross between what Miller High Life pours like only with hardly any head. It's not as carbonated as American beer. It smelled really good, like a cross between beer and cider.

Baltika has to me, sort of an apple taste in the beginning which fizzles out into, well a really unpleasant aftertaste. After a couple sips, you sort of disregard the aftertaste and the no. 9 becomes decent.

I'd drink it again based off the price in the US versus the overall quality. It's good, but it's not crazy good.

3.17/5  rDev +14%

Pours yellow with a fully receding white head. Aroma of exudes the sweetness, sweet bready grains, sweet musky lager aroma. Taste is no different, sweetness, a bit harsh, but the alcohol is well hidden. Mouthfeel is full bodied and sticky with lively carbonation. Not impressive, but not terrible.

2.91/5  rDev +4.7%

Pour: Light goldenrod color with two fingers of white head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Kinda grainy. Some malt and alcohol. Kinda faint.

Taste: Wow, this stuff is so incredibly sweet it's almost too much! Flavors of sugar and honey with some bitter sweetness at the back. No real detectable hops. Alcohol quite well disguised.

Mouthfeel: Thin and light with high carbonation.

Drinkability: Eh, it's okay. It's palatable but I wouldn't want more than one of these.

Final Notes: This beer would be a lot better if it had at least some hops to balance it out. As it is, all you taste is sweet, and I'm not digging that.

4.4/5  rDev +58.3%

Before I get to the actual review, allow me a personal comment: Honestly, I'm a big fan of a sweeter beer (Now that doesn't mean I like my beer to taste like koolaid, but I like it to have that note of sweetness to balance the hoppy bitterness), and this one was right up my alley. It definitely wasn't perfect, and it needed a few more hops to get a 5/5, but overall I think it was an excellent representative of the Strong Lager family of beers. That said, lets get to the review.

Serving type was a bottle (1 liter bottle, cheaply priced at $2).

Appearance: clean golden yellow with obvious effervescence. 4/5

Smell: malty, sweet, reminds me of cornbread... or Hawaiian sweet bread. Definitely an inviting smell. 4/5

Taste: This is where it scored big points in my opinion. The taste is thick and sweet and again reminds me of either a good cornbread or maybe a Hawaiian sweet bread. Now the only reason it missed out getting a perfect 5/5 is the distinct lack of hops. I'm not a huge fan of ultra bitter beer, but this lacks even the faintest trace of sharpness to balance out the sweetness. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is perfect. Thick, somewhat sticky and extremely smooth with just enough effervescence to compliment the flavor without taking away from it. 5/5

Drinkability: It's definitely a very drinkable beer. Smooth, thick, and delicious. However, I don't think I could drink a whole lot of it in one sitting. 4.5/5

Overall: It's an excellent strong ale. It's not perfect, but no beer is. There are better ales out there, but for the price, I really can't complain at all. 4.5/5

3.08/5  rDev +10.8%

500ml can into a Michelob pilsner glass. Last can from my "Nice Cans II BIF" haul.

I will give Baltika #9 this credit--it is an attractive beer for its style. Fills the glass with a swirling, bubbling batch of blonde lager. An eggshell-meringue head rests comfortably on top, thick and fluffy. The aroma is a mix of sweet creamed corn and pilsen malt. A faint whiff of herbal hops floats in the background, while the carbonation imparts an airy, mineral-like quality to the nose.

The 8% alcohol shows up in the flavor almost immediately with a veggie-rich ethanol note that's both sweet and slightly abrasive. Harsh fusels linger into the finish, blowing past creamed corn and floral hop notes mid-palate. Aside from the booziness, the mouthfeel is actually quite agreeable with its peppery carbonation level and medium-thin body. I'd probably pick up Baltika #9 over most others in the Euro Strong Lager style, but then again, that's not saying a whole lot.

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%

A: Crystal clear and light yellow in color, this beer is teeming with an even, methodical effervescence. The head is a finger thick, displays admirable staying power, and leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Sweet malt, alcohol. It smells exactly like what it is: a strong foreign lager.

T: And surprise! Baltika #9 tastes like...wait for it...a strong foreign lager. The beer is sweet and alcoholic, with flavors of grain and alcohol. This is not my favorite style, but in an attempt to be an unbiased rater, this is a decent tasting strong lager, though I do find it a bit too on the sweet side of the spectrum.

M: Relatively thin bodied and strong tasting, with a jab of alcohol in the finish.

D: I didn't dislike the beer, per se, but I'm in no hurry to have it again.

3.45/5  rDev +24.1%

wrote "average" for appearance and smell because i drank it straight out of the (dark tinted) bottle, so i hardly saw it, and my nose is stuffed. what little i saw through the bottle, i couldn't tell what color the beer was, but it laced the bottle decently when i opened it. drinkability is, like you'd expect from a high abv beer, not as easy as your typical pale lager, but i got it down easily enough. taste was interesting, it started out strong and finished tasting more like a fruity wine. i liked it, and i'd be happy to have it again, but next time i'll have it with a sit-down meal.

2.26/5  rDev -18.7%

This was a huge mistake. I was browsing the beer selection at a small-town grocery store in the Mt. Rushmore area. The regional distributor happened to be there restocking. She saw what I was selecting (IPAs) and acknowledged that she had nothing similar but that I would really like this stuff. I politely accepted her suggestion and bought some.

I have never tasted beer like this. Kinda flowery or perfume-laden. Just not right for me. Very pale yellow and clear. One sip was enough for me.

2.41/5  rDev -13.3%

Baltika #9 Extra Lager. 1 pint, 0.9oz bottle. 8%. "Superior taste award". Bottled 2/4/10 and drink by date of 2/4/11. Consumed 12/26/10.
Clear, yellow/straw. One finger head, very large bubbles, medium lace.
Smells grain, alcohol, must.
Tastes like grain, grass, alcohol is not hidden. Finishes like sweet corn. The lingering aftertaste is sweet corn. Not good overall. corn, sweet, and alcohol? Really?

3.16/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another beer style accomplished towards 104. Not a particularly impressive beer (I'm sure the style is not that impressive either). Basically a lager with a high abv kick.

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a 25 oz Hooters mug. Hazy yellow lager color. Decent size well carbonated white head with average retention and spotty lacing.

Hardly any smell, a musty, malty aroma.

Tastes like a lager with a fruity (apple juice) element to it. Mostly malty, a bit of grassy hops and the apple juice flavor.

The apple juice keeps this beer from being characterized as "crisp". Smooth, well carbonated and slightly sweet better describes it.

Drinkability is just average. Average taste and high abv keeps this from being a good lawnmower beer or session beer. Worth trying once.

3.42/5  rDev +23%

A: golden yellow, trace head

S: sweet bread, fruit, with grain

T: toasted nuts, sweet fruit, bitter sweetness.

M: med/light body, carbonation fades during the tasting.

D: high alcohol warmth, might be nice on a cold night in Russia. Only tried it because very common in this part of Chicago, large Russian population. It's ok, but don't go looking for it.

3.53/5  rDev +27%

Pours hay colored with a medium head that disippates quickly, leaving behind a nice amount of small-bubble carbonation playing through.

Nose is sweet hay and old yeast.

Taste was quite sweet but charmingly spicy. Also has some flavors of canadian whisky in there, I guess that's malted barley?

Mouthfeel was quite smooth, and kind of fun to swish around and coat my mouth with the high-alcohol and the spicy malt flavors.

Drinkability is really high. This beer has a good flavor, but it leaves a light touch, which just puts the glass right back into my hand. :)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Live review. Felt like giving Baltika a proper chance so I picked up this beer, and the porter. That review coming later.

My bottle is glass, I don't know why that other guy had a plastic one. Quite yellow on the pour. Little less than a 1cm head leaving nice lacing.

Just smells very sweet. Hint of macro lager thrown in.

Man what a taste. Again very sweet, no hint of hops. Significant alcohol presence, but not quite like im breathing fire.

Mouthfeel is crisp for an 8% ABV beer. Light and smooth.

Honestly having a little trouble making it go down. I did get sick on Baltika years ago, I'm wondering if I'm having a Pavlovian response to it. Not a bad beer. I think I paid 2 dollars for this "1 Pint .9FL. OZ." bottle. Worth a try.

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries