Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) | Baltika Breweries

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)
2.81/5
Poor
Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

Baltika Breweries
Russian Federation
baltika.ru

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

3.42/5  rDev +21.7%

A: golden yellow, trace head

S: sweet bread, fruit, with grain

T: toasted nuts, sweet fruit, bitter sweetness.

M: med/light body, carbonation fades during the tasting.

D: high alcohol warmth, might be nice on a cold night in Russia. Only tried it because very common in this part of Chicago, large Russian population. It's ok, but don't go looking for it.

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours hay colored with a medium head that disippates quickly, leaving behind a nice amount of small-bubble carbonation playing through.

Nose is sweet hay and old yeast.

Taste was quite sweet but charmingly spicy. Also has some flavors of canadian whisky in there, I guess that's malted barley?

Mouthfeel was quite smooth, and kind of fun to swish around and coat my mouth with the high-alcohol and the spicy malt flavors.

Drinkability is really high. This beer has a good flavor, but it leaves a light touch, which just puts the glass right back into my hand. :)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Live review. Felt like giving Baltika a proper chance so I picked up this beer, and the porter. That review coming later.

My bottle is glass, I don't know why that other guy had a plastic one. Quite yellow on the pour. Little less than a 1cm head leaving nice lacing.

Just smells very sweet. Hint of macro lager thrown in.

Man what a taste. Again very sweet, no hint of hops. Significant alcohol presence, but not quite like im breathing fire.

Mouthfeel is crisp for an 8% ABV beer. Light and smooth.

Honestly having a little trouble making it go down. I did get sick on Baltika years ago, I'm wondering if I'm having a Pavlovian response to it. Not a bad beer. I think I paid 2 dollars for this "1 Pint .9FL. OZ." bottle. Worth a try.

3.26/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Giant plastic bottle, weird!

Medium yellow in color with a very creamy head that has good retention and offers some nice lacing.

Honey and malt sweetness, but a bit of a skunky smell at the back.

Plenty of sweetness to be had. Lighter malt with some honey, oat and graham cracker. A bit of an alcohol presence at the back.

Close to a medium body and smooth. Dry finishing.

A surprisingly decent beer. Was kind of expecting quite a bit less, so this is a pleasant surprise, especially considering the low price. Drinks quite well, especially for a beer at eight percent. I don't know that I would have it again, but it's not one that I would say I definitely wouldn't either.

4.09/5  rDev +45.6%

Baltika #9 Extra has a unimpressive yellow colour and a decent head that subsides into good lacing. The smell is of honey and some piney hops. Like a tree. The taste is very interesting and mostly of honey and piney hops. The alcohol is noticable at the end. In the mouth it is medium bodied. This is a very nice beer.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a darkish gold w/ well-carb'd but quickly dying head on top of a grainy, veggie-like hops smell w/ hints of citric and sweet malts. Taste is a bit strange as it mixes that sour hoppiness/pils taste along w/ a touch of sticky sweet malt. Light-bodied and mostly bitter and w/ a dry finish, the sweet tastes make it interesting and not too bad to drink. ABC is well-hidden b/c I didn't think it was even close to 8%.

3.9/5  rDev +38.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

It's a hazy yellow color... fizzy head with good carbonation. Better looking beer than the standard lager, in my opinion.

The smell is a little odd... honey is dominant? A little floral note to it as well.

The taste is definitely more of the same... honey, floral notes, sweet... tastes more like a belgian ale than a lager. I like it though... good beer even if it's not what I was expecting.

The alcohol is very well masked, and the beer is light bodied.

A pleasant surprise!

3.38/5  rDev +20.3%

500 mL bottle at 42* into a dimpled mug.

A: This pours a clear golden color with very lively carbonation and a finger of foam that recedes to clumps of fluff on the edges. It looks like something Homer Simpson would drink.

S: It features lots of cereal grain, a touch of banana, and some medicinal alcohol notes.

T: It shows some lemon, honey graham cracker notes, grass, and a sweet liquor bite at the end.

M: As the beer's volume dwindles it loses most of its carbonation and it's quite watery.

D: This could certainly be worse. I didn't care for the boozy influence and ricola cough drop similarities.

2.8/5  rDev -0.4%

It's not so much cloudy as it is just a little off. It's has a real clarity to it. A very translucent watery yellow color. The thin pure white head doesn't hang out at all. Just a little bitter and sour notes are present on the nose. The taste is bitter and tart followed by a sour and skunky taste. If the other taste I get are hops then I've never had a beer with those hops before. A real earthy grain and grit linger in every corner of my mouth. Something just seems a bit off.

3.8/5  rDev +35.2%

This beer pours a low profile white head over a honey-yellow body. Carbonation rising from the bottom is slow and random, but sufficient to maintain a film of foam on the surface and some residual sticking on the sides of the glass as the brew descends from consumption.

A clean, biscuit and alcohol nose tips off the high gravity contents. The clarity and color could almost pass for Bud Light, but one sip reveals the difference.

Being four months past the best-by date (and nearly eighteen months after brewing), a fall off in carbonation might be expected, but this does not seem appreciably different from a bottle opened a year ago. A good mouthfeel with plenty of fizz involves the senses. The generous malt bill presents substantial grain flavors in the middle of the palate with a slightly sweet aftertaste (almost like a Belgian strong ale) and a small spike of hop accents.

A few of these would probably be welcome after skiing in the Urals.

2.73/5  rDev -2.8%

1 pint, 9 0z. bottle purchased 10/20/2010 for $2.20 plus deposit. Did not notice at time (must pay more attention) but the beer was bottled on 6/09 with a "best before" date of 6/10. Oh well, the liquor store seemed to be cool enough temperature-wise, I'll drink it.

Appearance- Fizzy straw yellow, minimal head with minimal lacing.

Smell- Smells like your average malt liquor, with a strange farmhouse-ale funk to it.

Taste- Well, the alcohol really shines through on this one. Being 8% abv, any beer of decent substance would cover it. But what I taste is a Miller Lite-esque brew with twice the alcohol. Do I hate it? No. It tastes like what normal blue collar folks consider "beer". It's perfect for washing down the burger I am eating, but that's about all. For $2.20, I couldn't be happier. Beats the hell out of all things Natty Ice & Olde English.

Mouthfeel- Thin, Fizzy, as expected.

Drinkability- Goes great with burgers. That's all I can say. Poundable, not pleasurable.

1.92/5  rDev -31.7%

Best by date: April 2010.

Euro Strong Lager - not expecting brewing magic here. I could discern the true flavor of this beer - not that it was even in the background - it was upfront, in all it's "glory". There was just a little decomposing funk - an aura or membrane - enveloping this brew. Even at 8%, this thing will turn.

The rapidly fizzing head and slightly hazy, gunky haze should've immediately warned me of the hazmat experience I was in for. Light peach color, for those interested.

Tried to get this down, but only got 1/3 way in. Might be alright if fresh. But it's a medicinal malt liquor all the same.

2.6/5  rDev -7.5%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white head. It is yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and grainy. The taste is sweet and boozy. This beer kind of reminds me of malt liquor. It is really not a good beer. The only redeeming quality is the 8% ABV.

3.29/5  rDev +17.1%

single bottle picked up at greens today and poured into a pilsner glass after dinner. consumed on 08/25/2010.

nice pour with a medium amber color and smooth, even head that unfortunatly fades out far too quickly. still though not the worst look in the world.

aroma is hints of honey an banana, tons of grains and a touch of some muted earthy hopes. interesting mix i have to say as the flavor mirrors it pretty much exactly. has almost a malt liquor like bite to it before it settles with a light caramel and sweet bread like flavor that has a touch of booze and a light, drying finish.

overall this was an interesting one, definitely different and hard to put my finger on the full profile, i would actually say this may be worth a try.

The beer pours a clear straw yellow color with a white head. The aroma is grassy, bready malt and a lot of grain. The flavor is grass, grain, sweet malt and alcohol. The sweetness is the predominant flavor component. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but for the style, it is not bad.

2.66/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a touch of haze and three thick fingers of pillowy white foam. Not bad looking at all, if a little pale.

Smell: ultra-mild, plain grain aroma with a touch of spiciness and a just a hint of plasticy chemicalness. Not that bad, really, but it could be a helluva lot better.

Taste: very fruity malt flavor. Tastes a lot like a white wine with a touch of hops and bitterness, but these characteristics are extremely mild. Spicy, alcoholey, and a touch plasticy. It's interesting, but just not enough in a good way.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a moderate level of carbonation. It's a touch light, but really, it's not that bad at all. Compared to the taste and smell it's almost wonderful.

Drinkability: it is drinkable, but I'm not going to seek it out. I can see a rough night (not to mention following morning) on the streets of Moscow starting out with one or two of these. Nazdrovia!

3.33/5  rDev +18.5%

I poured this beer into a Sam Smith nonic. The appearance was a pleasant golden color, though the lacing and head kinda were subpar (ie: fizzy). There wasn't much to the smell, except some booziness, and the taste was basically maple syrup and booziness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and its not something I'd consume on a daily basis.

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this 500mL bottle for $2.49 at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. Production date 10.10.09 and best by date 10.10.10 stamped on the label. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Clear pale yellow brew gives a good thick and stable layer of sticky off-white foam that leaves thick lacing on the glass. Smell is moderately malty, a bit sweet. Straw, grass, silage, raw starchy grains, a little lemon and maybe some floral notes. A unique and appealing nose, like standing in a hay field. On the tongue it has a fake syrupy sweetness and a bit of alcohol burn that mostly covers up anything else. Feel is moderate, sweet on the tongue but fades to a dry finish. Easily drinkable but not particularly tasty.

1.33/5  rDev -52.7%

I wish I could say thanks to my buddy Jeff for sharing this one the other night, but this is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had in my mouth. I've never had to spit a beer back out, but there is a first time for everything, and this is it for me. Review is from notes taken on 7/31/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is actually the color of urine (I'm not being snarky or overly sarcastic here -- it's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it and it was all down hill from here); starts with a 1/2 finger of white head that fades to a full, but uneven, skim; body is clear and shows tons of sick looking sediment floating throughout.

Smell: Light graininess and some barley, but it's sickly sweet as well and it is very cloying, even in the nose.

Taste/mouthfeel/drinkability: OK, this is pretty much the end of this one -- it literally tastes like perfume and hay... I couldn't keep this in my mouth. I'd continue on to talk about the mouthfeel, but the taste was so bad I couldn't keep it in long enough to make any strong determinations about this. Based upon everything else about this beer, the drinkability is awful. I never want to be near this drink again.

1.48/5  rDev -47.3%

Pours gold with a small head leaving some lacing.
Nose show sweet corn and rich with white wine characters. Somehow cloying.
More corn and rice as flavours along with cereal. Very sweet. Noticeable alcohol. Sickening.
Carbonation is pretty high.
I only got through about a quarter of this bottle, which has never happened before.

1.78/5  rDev -36.7%

Pale straw yellow color with just a hint of haze. What little white head my aggressive pour yielded quickly faded into nothing. The smell is overtly sweet with grain and a touch of honey. There's also a slight metallic note. The taste is just short of awful. This must be the Russian equivalent of Laser. It's terribly sweet with no hops note and truly no redeeming qualities about it. One of my generous gulps actually had me thinking it might come right back up. No way I will ever have this one again.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pours light golden, with a quickly dissipating white head that leaves some spots of lace.

Smell: A lot of sweet malt, some fruit (grape, apple), and hints of alcohol.

Taste: Begins sweet, finishing with a champagne-like flavor that has a strong alcohol note.

Mouthfeel: Medium, smooth body, with sharp carbonation and a dry champagne finish.

Drinkiability: This beer is actually a bit more complex than I expected- very much like a champagne in both taste and mouthfeel. Also, its low price is a huge plus, and makes this one worth a taste.

2.76/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown 500ml bottle obtained in Antwerp.

Poured on Saturday 5th June 2010, best before 8th August 2010 into a Corsendonk badged stemmed tulip glass.

Is this the sweetest lager on earth?

The colour was very pale yellow and the head white as driven snow. The head produced some impressive lacing as the beer sank.

The aroma was so, so sweet, alcoholic icing sugar and baked apples with brown sugar came to mind.

Drop the apples and you have the taste, exceedingly sweet with a front (and back) of alcohol.

I actually found it easy to drink, I must have a sweeter tooth than I thought. There was very little about the beer, depth or flavour wise, just too sweet for normal people.

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours pale gold with a light bubbly white head. No real lacing. Good clarity.

Sweet malt in the nose, with some grain and metallic hints.

This is an odd one, because either I got used to it or it warmed a bit. First cold from the fridge sip and I hated this. Sugar syrup malt flavor with little depth with some light hop bitterness and bready/grainy elements. Chemical alcohol is in play, but not right in your face. Some cereal in the finish. As I moved thru this bottle and pint+, I liked this a little better. Not so immediately sweet, and the sweetness reminded me more of grassiness or sweet bread. Still, why would I ever go back to this again? This proves that this is not a very palatable style for me.

Medium-light body with good enough carbonation.

This was a bigger bottle, and while it wasn't a struggle to get down, I sipped it because I was only half-digging it. I know alot of this is the style, but this just doesn't offer much in unique flavor. Existing flavors are appropriate in strength, but just very uninspiring. This was kinda ok. Didn't hate it, but won't chase this again.

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours straw to golden with a couple fingers of white head, fair retention and lace. Aromas of root beer, grains, honey, spice, and stamp glue. I mostly picked up spicy root beer before I tasted it, but then I got a strong sense of stamp/envelope glue.

The flavor starts a bit like root beer with cardboard before turning into an astringent bitter glue mess with some caramel malt to it. The flavor is much worse than the aroma hints at. So in contract to American malt liquors, which taste of plastic and metal, we here have the Russian counterpart which tastes of cardboard and glue. Medium to lighter body, moderate to prickly carbonation. Seeing this is Russian, they manage to avoid the soda pop carbonation, but it is still high enough to scrub away the taste of itself.

As far as drinkability goes, this tastes like cardboard and glue... if I was drinking this again I would want it to come in either a 40 or be higher in alcohol because this is for peasants to get drunk off of.

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries