Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) | Baltika Breweries

poor
good
Read the review
Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)Baltika #9 Extra (Strong)

Baltika Breweries
Russian Federation
baltika.ru

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2001

3.8/5  rDev +36.7%

This beer pours a low profile white head over a honey-yellow body. Carbonation rising from the bottom is slow and random, but sufficient to maintain a film of foam on the surface and some residual sticking on the sides of the glass as the brew descends from consumption.

A clean, biscuit and alcohol nose tips off the high gravity contents. The clarity and color could almost pass for Bud Light, but one sip reveals the difference.

Being four months past the best-by date (and nearly eighteen months after brewing), a fall off in carbonation might be expected, but this does not seem appreciably different from a bottle opened a year ago. A good mouthfeel with plenty of fizz involves the senses. The generous malt bill presents substantial grain flavors in the middle of the palate with a slightly sweet aftertaste (almost like a Belgian strong ale) and a small spike of hop accents.

A few of these would probably be welcome after skiing in the Urals.

2.73/5  rDev -1.8%

1 pint, 9 0z. bottle purchased 10/20/2010 for $2.20 plus deposit. Did not notice at time (must pay more attention) but the beer was bottled on 6/09 with a "best before" date of 6/10. Oh well, the liquor store seemed to be cool enough temperature-wise, I'll drink it.

Appearance- Fizzy straw yellow, minimal head with minimal lacing.

Smell- Smells like your average malt liquor, with a strange farmhouse-ale funk to it.

Taste- Well, the alcohol really shines through on this one. Being 8% abv, any beer of decent substance would cover it. But what I taste is a Miller Lite-esque brew with twice the alcohol. Do I hate it? No. It tastes like what normal blue collar folks consider "beer". It's perfect for washing down the burger I am eating, but that's about all. For $2.20, I couldn't be happier. Beats the hell out of all things Natty Ice & Olde English.

Mouthfeel- Thin, Fizzy, as expected.

Drinkability- Goes great with burgers. That's all I can say. Poundable, not pleasurable.

1.92/5  rDev -30.9%

Best by date: April 2010.

Euro Strong Lager - not expecting brewing magic here. I could discern the true flavor of this beer - not that it was even in the background - it was upfront, in all it's "glory". There was just a little decomposing funk - an aura or membrane - enveloping this brew. Even at 8%, this thing will turn.

The rapidly fizzing head and slightly hazy, gunky haze should've immediately warned me of the hazmat experience I was in for. Light peach color, for those interested.

Tried to get this down, but only got 1/3 way in. Might be alright if fresh. But it's a medicinal malt liquor all the same.

2.6/5  rDev -6.5%

I poured into a pint glass to two inches of white head. It is yellow in color. The aroma is sweet and grainy. The taste is sweet and boozy. This beer kind of reminds me of malt liquor. It is really not a good beer. The only redeeming quality is the 8% ABV.

3.29/5  rDev +18.3%

single bottle picked up at greens today and poured into a pilsner glass after dinner. consumed on 08/25/2010.

nice pour with a medium amber color and smooth, even head that unfortunatly fades out far too quickly. still though not the worst look in the world.

aroma is hints of honey an banana, tons of grains and a touch of some muted earthy hopes. interesting mix i have to say as the flavor mirrors it pretty much exactly. has almost a malt liquor like bite to it before it settles with a light caramel and sweet bread like flavor that has a touch of booze and a light, drying finish.

overall this was an interesting one, definitely different and hard to put my finger on the full profile, i would actually say this may be worth a try.

The beer pours a clear straw yellow color with a white head. The aroma is grassy, bready malt and a lot of grain. The flavor is grass, grain, sweet malt and alcohol. The sweetness is the predominant flavor component. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a great beer, but for the style, it is not bad.

2.66/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from 500mL bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: light golden hue with a touch of haze and three thick fingers of pillowy white foam. Not bad looking at all, if a little pale.

Smell: ultra-mild, plain grain aroma with a touch of spiciness and a just a hint of plasticy chemicalness. Not that bad, really, but it could be a helluva lot better.

Taste: very fruity malt flavor. Tastes a lot like a white wine with a touch of hops and bitterness, but these characteristics are extremely mild. Spicy, alcoholey, and a touch plasticy. It's interesting, but just not enough in a good way.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a moderate level of carbonation. It's a touch light, but really, it's not that bad at all. Compared to the taste and smell it's almost wonderful.

Drinkability: it is drinkable, but I'm not going to seek it out. I can see a rough night (not to mention following morning) on the streets of Moscow starting out with one or two of these. Nazdrovia!

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

I poured this beer into a Sam Smith nonic. The appearance was a pleasant golden color, though the lacing and head kinda were subpar (ie: fizzy). There wasn't much to the smell, except some booziness, and the taste was basically maple syrup and booziness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and its not something I'd consume on a daily basis.

3.37/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this 500mL bottle for $2.49 at Hoosick Beverage in Troy NY. Production date 10.10.09 and best by date 10.10.10 stamped on the label. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Clear pale yellow brew gives a good thick and stable layer of sticky off-white foam that leaves thick lacing on the glass. Smell is moderately malty, a bit sweet. Straw, grass, silage, raw starchy grains, a little lemon and maybe some floral notes. A unique and appealing nose, like standing in a hay field. On the tongue it has a fake syrupy sweetness and a bit of alcohol burn that mostly covers up anything else. Feel is moderate, sweet on the tongue but fades to a dry finish. Easily drinkable but not particularly tasty.

1.33/5  rDev -52.2%

I wish I could say thanks to my buddy Jeff for sharing this one the other night, but this is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had in my mouth. I've never had to spit a beer back out, but there is a first time for everything, and this is it for me. Review is from notes taken on 7/31/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is actually the color of urine (I'm not being snarky or overly sarcastic here -- it's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it and it was all down hill from here); starts with a 1/2 finger of white head that fades to a full, but uneven, skim; body is clear and shows tons of sick looking sediment floating throughout.

Smell: Light graininess and some barley, but it's sickly sweet as well and it is very cloying, even in the nose.

Taste/mouthfeel/drinkability: OK, this is pretty much the end of this one -- it literally tastes like perfume and hay... I couldn't keep this in my mouth. I'd continue on to talk about the mouthfeel, but the taste was so bad I couldn't keep it in long enough to make any strong determinations about this. Based upon everything else about this beer, the drinkability is awful. I never want to be near this drink again.

1.48/5  rDev -46.8%

Pours gold with a small head leaving some lacing.
Nose show sweet corn and rich with white wine characters. Somehow cloying.
More corn and rice as flavours along with cereal. Very sweet. Noticeable alcohol. Sickening.
Carbonation is pretty high.
I only got through about a quarter of this bottle, which has never happened before.

1.78/5  rDev -36%

Pale straw yellow color with just a hint of haze. What little white head my aggressive pour yielded quickly faded into nothing. The smell is overtly sweet with grain and a touch of honey. There's also a slight metallic note. The taste is just short of awful. This must be the Russian equivalent of Laser. It's terribly sweet with no hops note and truly no redeeming qualities about it. One of my generous gulps actually had me thinking it might come right back up. No way I will ever have this one again.

3.52/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle into 23oz NY Mets pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pours light golden, with a quickly dissipating white head that leaves some spots of lace.

Smell: A lot of sweet malt, some fruit (grape, apple), and hints of alcohol.

Taste: Begins sweet, finishing with a champagne-like flavor that has a strong alcohol note.

Mouthfeel: Medium, smooth body, with sharp carbonation and a dry champagne finish.

Drinkiability: This beer is actually a bit more complex than I expected- very much like a champagne in both taste and mouthfeel. Also, its low price is a huge plus, and makes this one worth a taste.

2.76/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown 500ml bottle obtained in Antwerp.

Poured on Saturday 5th June 2010, best before 8th August 2010 into a Corsendonk badged stemmed tulip glass.

Is this the sweetest lager on earth?

The colour was very pale yellow and the head white as driven snow. The head produced some impressive lacing as the beer sank.

The aroma was so, so sweet, alcoholic icing sugar and baked apples with brown sugar came to mind.

Drop the apples and you have the taste, exceedingly sweet with a front (and back) of alcohol.

I actually found it easy to drink, I must have a sweeter tooth than I thought. There was very little about the beer, depth or flavour wise, just too sweet for normal people.

3.23/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours pale gold with a light bubbly white head. No real lacing. Good clarity.

Sweet malt in the nose, with some grain and metallic hints.

This is an odd one, because either I got used to it or it warmed a bit. First cold from the fridge sip and I hated this. Sugar syrup malt flavor with little depth with some light hop bitterness and bready/grainy elements. Chemical alcohol is in play, but not right in your face. Some cereal in the finish. As I moved thru this bottle and pint+, I liked this a little better. Not so immediately sweet, and the sweetness reminded me more of grassiness or sweet bread. Still, why would I ever go back to this again? This proves that this is not a very palatable style for me.

Medium-light body with good enough carbonation.

This was a bigger bottle, and while it wasn't a struggle to get down, I sipped it because I was only half-digging it. I know alot of this is the style, but this just doesn't offer much in unique flavor. Existing flavors are appropriate in strength, but just very uninspiring. This was kinda ok. Didn't hate it, but won't chase this again.

2.01/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Pours straw to golden with a couple fingers of white head, fair retention and lace. Aromas of root beer, grains, honey, spice, and stamp glue. I mostly picked up spicy root beer before I tasted it, but then I got a strong sense of stamp/envelope glue.

The flavor starts a bit like root beer with cardboard before turning into an astringent bitter glue mess with some caramel malt to it. The flavor is much worse than the aroma hints at. So in contract to American malt liquors, which taste of plastic and metal, we here have the Russian counterpart which tastes of cardboard and glue. Medium to lighter body, moderate to prickly carbonation. Seeing this is Russian, they manage to avoid the soda pop carbonation, but it is still high enough to scrub away the taste of itself.

As far as drinkability goes, this tastes like cardboard and glue... if I was drinking this again I would want it to come in either a 40 or be higher in alcohol because this is for peasants to get drunk off of.

2.08/5  rDev -25.2%

A: a washed out corn yellow with a slight glowing appeal. I am surprised by the overall thin appearance. Bubbles are busily flailing about and a thin layer of bleach white icing sits atop. No lacing at all

S: malts, candied honey and sugar. Not much else is wallowing in the nose here. Seems very sweet

T: sticky and cloyingly sweet...gee. The candied flavors range from sugary honey, artificial sweeteners, and a maltiness that favors a disaccharide jolt. Anyway, if I dig deep I can gather some grains and dried husks of various vegetation in the mix. This is not a very pleasant experience. A bizarre fruitiness takes shape as it warms up, reminiscent of ripe alcohol soaked apples

M: has a thin to mild body with a sticky feel. Carbonation is still very active

D: I feel that somehow someone has dropped a few sugar cubes in each bottle. I guess things are not all that bad as it does go down the hatch, as my knees get weaker. I find myself making the occasional unpleasant beer face...a bit rough and shall never grace my fridge walls again

2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured into 12oz straight glass. Poured a clear, slightly hazed, yellow with a large, fluffy bright white head that had very good retention and lacing.

A sweet, grainy aroma greets the nose with just the barest trace of hops. The taste was, at first, skunky and sweet at the same time. After a few moments the skunkiness fades, and I was left with one of the sweetest brews I've ever had. There was also a solid grain taste to the beer.

The body was thin and, after the smell and taste, expectedly sticky. Drinkability wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy this beer as I drank it. This is not a bad beer, just very different from what most of us are used to, I suspect. I got a 16.9oz bottle for about $2.50, so giving this brew a shot ain't gonna break ya, might as well give it pop.

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%

500 ml bottle poured into pint glass

A: Head stays as foam, clear light gold, not very dark for 8%, I was expecting a somewhat dark lager, but interesting for this type of beer

S: Aroma is mostly grains, some alcohol comes thought, as well as some sweetness than accompanies the grainy malt,

T: Same as smell, grainy malt but a strange sweetness is also present, the alcohol burn that you can somewhat taste also adds to this slightly strange combo

M: Medium body, fairly carbonated

D: Pretty good drinkability, but you can tell it is 8%

Notes: The beer does not look like an 8% beer, nor does it drink like one. You can just barely tell in the aroma, and you can definitely tell in the taste. It is sweet, but feels a little heavy on the alcohol side. Not a bad beer, and it definitely drinks like a lower alcohol beer. It is pretty much just a typical lager but stronger, however, there aren't many faults here.

Poured from a brown bottle with a goil foil wrap over the cap. Ends up a pale-straw color with a cratery two-finger head that dissolves into a fine, loose cover over the beer. Lacing is average, and the busy fine bubbles soon subside.

Smells a bit of typical pilsner, with musty malts and a slight fusel alcohol nip. Wheat and grain come through, as well.

Very sweet throughout the sip. Some super-light and pleasant orangy/coriander notes, some wheat, and a malt-liquorish fusel alcohol bite towards the end. Concludes with a watery mustiness. Mouthfeel is watery and a bit marbly.

Although this might not quite be a balanced or complex brew, it's definitely drinkable, even despite the 8% alcohol by volume, so be cautious with this Russian beer.

3.73/5  rDev +34.2%

A: Pours a clear golden yellow with about two fingers of white head.

S: Generally clean smell, not much to detect except some adjunct sweet malts.

T: Strong honey flavor; this sweetness is very pervasive and a nice sensation as it hits your tongue. This turns into a somewhat bitter, slightly astringent hop flavor and slight phenols in the finish.

M: Crisp and refreshing.

D: I'm not sure why this beer got a bad rap on this page; I actually enjoyed it quite much.

3.72/5  rDev +33.8%

A: Very clear golden yellow in color. Pours with a substantial, white, fizzy head that has little retention and leaves no lacing.

S: Fruity and sweet intermixed with alcohol.

T: Sweet malt with some fruit: apples and grapes. A dull honey-like flavor. Very faint mild bitterness on the back end. Medium finish leaves a malty sweetness on the tongue.

M: Medium with medium-heavy carbonation. Maltiness is slightly cloying.

D: I had low expectations for this beer as I figured this one would just be one to get drunk off of. Surprisingly it didn't suck nearly as much as I was expecting and was actually quite respectable. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but if they could ferment out some more of the sweetness and add a bit more hop character to it, it would be a very good beer.

3.88/5  rDev +39.6%

Beer poured froma bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer is yellow and has a slight haze to it. Forms a thick white head of medium and small bubbles and the head falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is steady but overall weak. Made up of large bubbles that rise quickly through the beer.

Aroma is slightly sweet but overall weak. It smells fine, at least there isn't any hint of sulfur.

Hmmm...this is way better tasting than I expected. It is sweet (kind of) and has some fruitiness to it. Beer is medium bodied and finishes nicely with almost no aftertaste. Drinkability high. Second taste, slightly bitter this time. This beer is really good. Very enjoyable.

3.77/5  rDev +35.6%

Bottle in a stein.

Appearance: ultra pale yellow with a small head

Nose: very malty and sweet honey

Taste: honey, malty, coriander spice, absolutely no hops bitterness, delightful

This is a beer that completely surprised me. I thought it was going to completely suck but it actually turned out to be very delightful. I loved the sweetness of it. It almost seemed like a mead. This is a beer that you can drink endlessly on a warm summer day. I loved it and will continue to buy it when ever I can.

2.84/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- An aggressive pour yielded a nice 1/2" sudsy head, which quickly evaporated, only leaving some faint traces of lace behind. The body was a clear golden-yellow color with some coarse carbonation visible trickling up the sides of the glass. Overall, it looks like a cheap generic macro lager. Not too impressed.

S- A big nose of sweet corn and honeylike aromas, with some faint herbal hops lingering in the background. (i.e. honey-drizzled cornflakes).

T- Cornfeed, some mild herbal hops and some booziness are the dominant flavors on the palate. The finish lingers with some fusel alcohols. As the beer warms, some sweetness and a touch of diacetyl emerge on the tail-end as well.

M- A thin to medium body... highly attenuated, yet a bit oily in texture. The carb is surprisingly pleasant and soft.

D- Too much cornfeed flavors and booziness for my liking. Not a drain pour quite yet (I'm halfway through the bottle), but I'll be surprised if I finish this bottle...

Baltika #9 Extra (Strong) from Baltika Breweries