Baltika #6 Porter | Baltika Breweries

baltika.ru

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-28-2003

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Been looking for this one for a while now so when I came across one I quickly grabbed it. Deep dark ruby pour with a thick tan head and some nice lacing. The aroma is very malty with a good sweetness to it. Great smoky flavor with a nice roasted quality. Licorice, coffee, and a touch of chocolate complete a tasty brew. Mouthfeel could be a touch thicker but it works. Overall a good porter.

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%

Baltika Number 6 Porter is very dark brown in color and it offers a hefty head of tan- colored foam that lasts and lasts. The nose on this beer isn't very pronounced, but if you search, you will find scents of malt, a touch of chocolate, and some roasted notes.

The taste of this porter combines sweet malt with a little bit of chocolate malt and some roasted notes, with some plum flavor in the background. The presence of alcohol is there, but it doesn't produce a bitter sensation. The contributions from the dark, sweet malts make this beer sweet and pleasant. This porter also offers flavors of plums/raisins, chocolate, and some alcohol. There is plenty of complexity with this porter, and it continues to intrigue as you drink.

One of the surprises with this porter is its alcohol level. The alcohol content of this porter is greater than most beer, but even at seven percent, the alcohol taste isn't as pronounced as I expected. It is a warming alcohol flavor, not a biting alcohol flavor. It makes for a nice combination of taste sensations and it makes Baltika a very tasty, complex glass of beer.

2.89/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours dark reddish brown, the color of cola, beige head retreats leaving a thin ring .

Aroma, very thin dark roast, faint hint of sea air.

Weak roast malt, touch of molasses and a ripe banana.

Rather thin for the style, a bit sticky after-taste.

Although drinkable, this brew does not satisfy my thirst for a true porter. Not much to see here, move along!

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

A - Poured a very dark brown collor with a light brown head that leaves some lacing

S - Is of roasted malt with coffee scents

T - This is a pretty decent beer sweet roasted malts with a coffee finish

M - The mouthfeel is creamy smooth bit a little thin with medium carbonation to it

D - This beer is pretty easy to drink its creamy smooth with a good taste to it and its cheap a dirt for a pretty decent beer its worth getting if you see it

A- Very dark dark brown, close to black. Small pool of head remains, no lacing.

S- Raisins and dates are apparent in the smell. A thick malty smell comes though as well.

T- The moment of truth, I haven't had much luck with Russian beers so here we go. Wow, nice malty, coffee, vanilla tastes come and swirl about on the tongue. I'm very suppressed on how well this beer tastes. It definitely went above my expectations.

M- Thin foamy feel when you drink it. But it isn't bad.

D- Great brew I think it was good all around.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one might be better classified as a strong beer in my mind, if just because it doesn't really carry a lot of the characteristics that are common to the Porter style. It's thick, but strongly, strongly fruity and sweet, with a sharp alcohol buzz and spiciness across the whole proceedings. I tasted a lot of dried fruit, swirling right into the alcohol that kind of ran throughout. Hugely sweet, potentially to help cover up the alcohol. Not bad, and actually one of the better brews I've had of the Baltika label, although not really a good representation of the style.

3.28/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured into a .5 liter stein a deep dark brown with a tint of of ruby a 1/2 finger tannish colored head sat nicely atop.Aromas are sweet alot of dark fruit and heavily roasted coffee pretty heavy handed in the sweet dept,flavors are the same intense roast and dark fruit and brown sugar really not any drying base, just to one dimensional.Full moutheel keeps it at least a decent brew but there are alot of domestic style that blow this away.

1.83/5  rDev -49.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

16.9 oz bottle, served at KGB bar in NYC

barman offered me no glass, he was not a bad person despite his smugness and the plush red curtains

smell of burnt coffee dregs, wort, and molasses

taste was overwhelmingly sweet, malted, bakers chocolate, the last sip of coffee with all the sugar in it, i flinched .. so did everyone i passed it to

thick, syrup, sticky, it was dripping down my throat

well, i finished it.. too sweet and malty, i imagined drinking a stout in early fermentation (or recollected i should say, we've all had weak moments). i am a fan of dark beers, strong beers, and high ABV, something here was just shudder inducing. maybe i caught a bad one

i would say try it in an espresso cup with toast the morning after you accidentally sleep with your cousin at a ski slope

3.3/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Let's finish off the Second Unorganized Invitational with Baltika Porter, and after this review, I will present the winner of this competition. On to the beer:

Opaque body with ruby red hues on the side and a light tan head that forms nicely, but quickly begins to drop. The nose is subtle for the size of this beer, but does have a nice touch of alcohol and chocolate with esters on the side. Some smokiness gets noticed as well. Enough with the foreplay, moving on...

Ack! The carbonation up front is harsh and uncalled for, but when it clears, it becomes an extremely sweet treat. The beer is medium-heavy bodied with a moderate carbonation, but one that is a little too much for this style. Smoked chocolatety malts are the most dominating flavor. Now I feel the alcohol in my throat. Boy, this is a really sweet strong beer, but I'm having some fun with it as long as I sip with respect. The carbonation has mellowed out, making the experience a little better. Still, I've had better Baltic Porters.

The review is complete, so now it's time to reward the winner of the Second Unorganized Invitational, and that is:

Hacker-Pschorr Weiss!

Another interesting invtational as the second lightest beer of the six wins it all. We'll be back again around this time next year for the Third Unorganized Invitational, so mark your calendars. Good night everyone!

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: thick, pillowy 3-finger head. Brown foam hangs around on top, dragging a beautiful bubbly lace behind it. If I were to take a bubble-bath in beer, this would be my beer of choice.

Smell: ummm... [crickets]. Not really smelling anything; a little bitterness and a hint of coffee. I guess if I were to bathe in this beer, I wouldn't have to worry about smelling like a drunk afterward.

Taste: Pretty good, but not great. I'm tasting roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, and milk/creamer. Aftertaste is very dry and kinda nutty.

Mouthfeel: Nice and thick. Carbonation is fairly low. Feels like I'm drinking whole milk. Mild aftertaste sticks around for a while and is quite pleasant. I'm enjoying drinking this beer.

Drinkability: 7.0% alcohol by volume, and at a reasonable price (I believe I paid $1.99 for a 1pint .9fl oz bottle). I think I may find myself buying this again. It's not a great porter, but definitely worth another try.

Burp: N/A

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another Baltic Porter, this one from Russia!

A- Very dark brown, close to black, but light does get through. Nice coffee-colored head and good retention.

S- A touch of molasses, some dark fruits, and some caramel. Decent, but could be stronger.

T- Raisins backed by sweet, husky grains that are actually a bit harsh. Not much in the way of roasted flavors, but there is a hint of hop bitterness on the finish.

M- The body is kind of thin, but the carbonation level is good.

D- The alcohol isn't very noticeable and the body is fairly thin, but due to the sweet flavor and touch of harsh graininess, I wouldn't want more than one in a sitting.

Not bad. It's similar to the Aldaris I just had. The tastes and aromas are very similar, with some subtle differences. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Aldaris over this, but they're both pretty solid. This one's certainly worth a try. Recommended for fans of the style.

3.82/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Small, medium brown head with little retention and a bit of lace. Black body with minor, ruby-brown highlights.

S - Malty and bready, with some light chocolate and roasted aromas. Sweet and slightly fruity.

T - Lots of sweetness up front with dark, fruity flavors of plums, raisins, and dark caramel. Notes of licorice and and some chocolate. The finish is sweet and malty with coffee in the aftertaste.

M - Moderately thick body with somewhat low carbonation and a sweet finish.

D - Reasonably drinkable, but suffers towards the end from the significant sweetness. The nice, dark fruit character is quite pleasant, though overall it could be a bit more complex.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

The Baltika 6 porter bottle seems to have changed; mine is a different bottle and label (no longer red) than the one in the BA photo. I wonder if this is an import issue, or if the brewery has changed things up a bit.

A vigorous pour from the bottle to a barrel pint yields a good looking dark brown ale with a healthy tan head. Some shades of red shine through when held up to the light. Good lace. The nose is a pleasant blend of dark fruity scents and sweet malt with some coffee thrown in for good measure. The sweetness is dense, and has a distinct cocoa character to it. Quite nice; not overly strong. Whoa. The taste is a bit sweeter than I expected. Not bad, but really sweet. Lots of sugary cherry and strawberry in there. Candied malts. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky.

This is not a bad porter, and to be honest I'm new to the Baltic style. But it's a bit sweet for my liking, and makes me think that this is what a porter/malt liquor blend would resemble, although that may be a bit off. I don't think this is a terrible beer, but I can't see myself revisiting this anytime soon.

This was my first Baltic porter and I enjoyed it a lot. I had it slightly chilled in my Warsteiner mug. Poured a dark, baker's chocolate brown with a tan head. Smelled of roasted malts, some bittersweet chocolate, and a touch of black roasated coffee. Tasted of mildly smokey malts, some rich dark chocolate and a kiss of black coffee. Overall a good brew.

2.79/5  rDev -23.1%

I'm not sure what a "Baltic" porter is supposed to taste like; but this one is quite different from most porters I've had. Nice near-black color, good lasting beige head. Surprisingly, little lasting lace.

Sweet molasses aroma that is greater than any chocolate or mocha that might be found. A strong level of metal present also.

Sweet, almost like brandy. Some warming alcohol. Reminds me far more of a double bock than a porter. I cannot detect any hops at all.

Too sweet for me, making it more one-dimensional without any complexity.

A. Poured into a tasting glass. Appears dark with a off white head.

S. Toasted with muted fruits.

T. Surprisingly sweet with some roasted coffee aftertaste.

M. Prickly like most russian brew. Coats the palate well with a earthy aftertaste.

D. Very drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Dark brown, almost black color with some ruby highlights toward the bottom of the glass. A large beige head forms, but fades fast. A thin ring of lace sticks to the glass after every drink.
S: Rich dark fruits (raisins, dates, figs, ect.) with dark chocolate, malt and coffee. A very enjoyable aroma that works well with the style.
T: Roasted chocolate malt and coffee. A light hop bitterness that is welcome.
M/D: Light to medium body. Crisp in the mouth, but not what I am looking for in a porter. Smooth drinkable and a session beer. Very easy to drink and quaff.

This is my first Baltic Porter and this compares very well with some of my favorite English and American versions. A good treat and gem that I happened to come across.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body with a thin, beige head.

Smell: Sweetish aroma of molasses, a bit of roast, and a cup of simple syrup.

Taste: Dark malts with a taste of molasses with a bit more sugar added. Some roastiness. Never much in the way of hops or bitterness. Just a touch of astringency in the lightly roasty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not the best baltic porter I've gulped down, but, for me, it was definitely the best stop on the trip through Baltika Land.

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%

1 pt., .9 oz., 7% ABV. Pours a very dark brown, nearly black. No highlights at all. Tan frothy head. Very nice retention.

A bit of roasty malt in the nose, subtle chocolate, and vinous notes. Maybe some earthy hops in the background.

Very sweet up front. A bit of roasty malt, some chocolate and a bit of stale coffee. Hint of vanilla perhaps? Slight lactic sourness. Some earthy hops balance things a bit, but this is malt heavy, and very sweet.

Lower carbonation, medium body. A bit warming after a while. Not bad, but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

16.9 oz bottle into tulip glass.

Pours a pretty thick black, minimal head with some amount of lacing. The smell is a little bland, some chocolate, lots of sweet. The taste is much the same. Very, very sweet--kind of hard to distinguish much beyond the sugary sweetness. Doesn't do much else on the finish, but the 7.0abv I have to say is pretty well hidden.

Picked this up just because I've never had any of the Baltikas and I've always been curious about them. I was expecting it to be a trainwreck, but it actually wasn't all that bad. Not something I'd immediately pick up again, but I wouldn't necessarily refuse one. It's too sweet, and the sugar sort of gets old after half the bottle is gone, but it's not all that bad.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

Here is another Baltika that I tried straight out of the bottle, so there's no review of the appearance. However, based on the taste of it, this was just a good, basic porter. The texture was thinner than a stout, but it still had most of the coffee flavor. It had moderate bitterness, but the real distinguishing feature was that it had an aftertaste of prunes. This and the 3 were my favorite Baltikas.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours dark black from bottle with a thick, retaining head and nice lacing on the glass.
Scents of dark roasted malts & chocolate.
Malty sweet. Nutty & chocolaty flavors complement the malts with a fairly noticeable hop bite.
Tangy & jumps around a bit on the tongue, leaves a dry finish.
Well balanced, if not particularly outstanding; all the elements are there. Alcohol masked well, leaving a very drinkable porter.

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a nonic. Color is as close to black as it can get while still being visibly brown. Strong light evidences this by revealing umber hues at the bottom of the glass. The one finger head dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lace.

Aroma is strongly chocolaty, with a hint of alcohol. There's also a little bit of sweetened coffee.

Taste is a let down after the nice aroma. Roasty cold coffee with maybe a smidgeon of bitter chocolate and metallicness. I'm surprised I don't taste any alcohol here because there really isn't much for it to hide behind.

Mouthfeel is a little overcarbonated, but very clean and dry. Body is too thin for a baltic porter. This is pretty easy to drink but it's not a great beer.

3.91/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours clear but extremely dark brown with a thick tan head. Nose is okay. Nothing crazy. Just some mild malt tones. Hmmm. Unusual. I can't remember the last time a flavor profile made me stop and think so much about what I was drinking. It's nice and robust, yes. There are nice thick tar-ry tones. Strong sweet side that is almost like brown sugar in a way. Thick malty presence. But at first I get an almost cola It's nice. A bit too sweet, but good. Feel is smooth, but at first there was a real odd carbonation. Calms down over time. I like this style and I like this one. It's a bit too sweet, but I can still hang. I'd session this.

4.59/5  rDev +26.4%

Best before 03/24/08 (one year post production)
Pours a ruby tinged dark brown, slightly translucent with a medium tan head, quite luscious looking. Aromas start off with a bang with tons of licorice and caramel. Medium notes of alcohol carrying lots of dark fruits, finishing nearly port-like. Grain-wise, quite a bit of roasted grain, nothing near burnt aromas, and no hops detected. Overall, a really nice aroma. On the palate, a creamy sweetness hits you first with an overall sherry like feel. Moderate to low carbonation and just truly dextrinous. It finishes with the roasted and highly kilned malts coming through in complexity with quite a bit of warmth at the end. An excellent porter, glad to try this and nice to see it holds up for nearly a year with grace.

Baltika #6 Porter from Baltika Breweries