Baltika #8 Wheat | Baltika Breweries

baltika.ru

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Naerhu on 12-24-2002

3.39/5  rDev -4.5%

This will be (at least one of) my entry/entries for New Beer Sunday (Week 360) and I am kind of excited to tick it off. I have an affinity for Russian beers ever since I got on the Kvass Kick, Kamarade, and while I drank a LOT of #9 with Stosh, the owner of the Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, during his lifetime, I kind of glossed over all of the other numbers. It's kind of a shame, since #1 seems to be retired and I cannot find #2 for looking.

OK, I'll cop to not being on top of my game from the outset with this one. The label reads "Wheat Ale" and this website identifies it as a Hefeweizen, so what does CAPT Clever do? He (I) pops the cap and begins to pour. Gee, it looks more like a Kristalweizen so maybe I should agitate what remains in the bottle ... Beer fountain time, baby! Beer all over the counter, a panic pour, jeez-o man, what hath I wrought?

Well, for one thing, there was no longer any doubt that it was a Hefe. The kitchen smelled like I was baking banana bread. I had a dense cap of a finger of bone-white head with excellent retention. The color was a muddy orange-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose, as previously alluded to, was VERY banana. Mouthfeel was a little thin for the style, but the taste managed to balance the banana with some clove, which I like. Just as many clamor for "More Cowbell", I say "More clove esters, please!" Finish was tasty enough and it was not cloyingly sweet like some hefes that I have drank in the past. Once more, you cannot really beat the Baltika lineup at its price point. Call it worth a try.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Appearance: Cloudy apricot orange hue with a white creamy head forming that leaves lacing evenly around the glass. Aroma: Banana, clove, and vanilla tones aromatic as all hell light but a standout sharp sweetness makes for a great hefeweizen. Taste: Good mix of yeast deriven esters with banana, clove, and vanilla tones an excellent Russian brewed authentic hefe, very nice. Mouthfeel: Light refreshing semi spritzy somewhat fluffy texture, overall smooth, very smooth. Drinkability: Wow, summer brew from Russia that impresses me whole heartedly, I could definitely go for a few more of these.

2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.34/5  rDev +22.3%

Best before 23.04.08:

Pours clouded light yellow (almost lemon-drop) with a thin white, slowly vanishing, head.

The smell is of lemon zest, wheat tang and fresh banana.

The taste is of wheat, banana and lemon. Dry, crisp finish. Not overly complex, but tasty.

Medium-bodied - heftier than typical. Very refreshing and smooth.

Very easy drinking with a wonderful aroma and nice taste - Nice refreshing crispness to it!

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

Pale, straw yellow color, very light haze, massive head, fluffy, snow-white, very long-lasting.
Big aromatics, yeasty, slightly citric, defintite banana, with a gentle hit of clove. Banana cream cookie.
Nice, smooth mouthfeel, briskly dancing on the palate, delivering that banana-y/citric, lightly spicy, easy drinking. Very light in body, with a diminishing finish. Not bad, but not the sort of weizen I'd reach for when I really, really want a weizen. Just a few inches away from being better than merely good.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy light brown color with a 1 inch head. Smells of spices and citrus. Taste is excellent. A great combination of banana, citrus, and spices, this beer is bursting with flavor. Feels delicious in the mouth and goes down with ease. Overall this makes for a high quality brew.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bottle into an imperial wheat glass. Beer is yellow slightly dark with a haze to it. Forms a white / off white head of medium to large bubbles that falls away quickly leaving a little lacing on the glass.

Overall the aroma is pretty subdued for a hefeweizen. Slight wheaty feeling to it, some fruity esters but overall not much.

The beer has a medium to low body and is a little watery, or rather wet. The drinkability is really high and its about as refreshing as a beer can be without being water itself. Honestly, I love this beer. There isn't an aftertaste, there is a nice wheaty feel and taste to the beer overall. Its a good beer. Nothing too complex.

I will say that if I ever drink more than 2 of these beers in a night, the next morning I have the worst headache I've ever had. I drink this beer a lot and I've studied this with myself. Maybe there is something in the water they use that does this to me. I still recommend it, just drink one at a time.

1.96/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Almost captures the weizen style in appearance, however head is more foamy then creamy. Aroma has tinge of chemical smell, with hints of banana, however the chemical smell burns the nose. Taste doesn’t fare much better, like one of those fake banana candies. I’ll stick with the German (and Bavarian) weizens from now on....

3.88/5  rDev +9.3%

After suffering through a few of the Baltika lagers, my expectations were low here. However, this turned out to be a completely respectable wheat beer. You know, I'd be happy to homebrew something like this.

There's a light, doughy malt character in the background. The main yeast character is a big creamy, sweet candy spice aroma and flavor, a bit like a spice cake, with a twist of orange. The body is light enough to make this a decent session beer. And it finishes with clean touch of wheat cracker and strawberry and citrus hit. Nice beer, not amazing, but I'd take it on a hot day.

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice wheat malt and yeast scent that boasts of banana and clove. It's sweet with a citric edge. The taste is good. It has a smooth wheat malt flavor that goes down easy and finishes fruity with a slight earthiness. This is a pretty damn good tasting beer. Who knew the Russians could brew hefes? The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. It's true to style a real delight. I'd drink this before a few American wheat beers.

3.92/5  rDev +10.4%

The Baltika brand is usually reasonably priced, but when it drops to $1.49 per half-liter, it becomes difficult to resist. On to the beer:

It looks like the usual hefeweizen, shiny wheat field golden color, cloudy, good head retention at first, but no lacing. The aroma strikes me as the kind I would expect from a Bavarian beer, not a Russian brewed hefe. Banana bread and a hint of clove, yum! ....maybe I should have saved the "yum" emphasis for the taste. Banana bread in the taste, along with faint gum. Ground clove and snappy wheat add the missing pieces to the puzzle. Light in feel, typical for a hefe, but with less carbonation. Maybe a tiny bit lighter that the usual hefe. Good drinking.

This turned out to be a good offering from Baltika. Better than some of the German counterparts, and more afforable as well. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours straw colored with a huge white head. The aroma is wheat, yeast, banana and some cloves and citrus. The flavor is as expected with lots of bananas, cloves and other spices. You get some citrus as well. Very crisp and drinkable. Medium body and medium-high carbonation. Finishes dry.

3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a weizen glass. Bottle says best before 7/18/2010, but four months is hardly super old for a beer.

Appearance: light golden-yellow hue with a touch of haze and plenty of effervescence. Head pours two thick fingers of pillowy white foam. I rather like it.

Smell: nice wheaty aroma with a touch of clove to boot. This beer is certainly trending toward a true hefeweizen, but I feel like there isn't a whole lot of character to the aroma. Just a little bit of banana would help this beer a whole lot.

Taste: nice wheaty and clovey flavor. There's just the tiniest hint of banana here, but I still feel like there could be a lot more yeast character. The wheaty and malty aspects are pretty good, though, and I like the taste more than the aroma.

Mouthfeel: light body with a decent amount of carbonation. I would like to see a lot more creaminess in this brew.

Drinkability: a refreshing and quite drinkable hefeweizen. It's not my favorite, but it is above what most American breweries seem to pass off as hefeweizens.

3.87/5  rDev +9%

Very strange beers made by Baltika.
I tried a few various, this was one I tended to enjoy.

A. Small head dissipating quickly into the clear yellow body.

S. Bubble gum. Seriously.

T. Very unique sweet wheat taste, kind of like soda water was put in it.

M. Heavvvily carbonated.

D. Could have one or two, not bad.

3.37/5  rDev -5.1%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle marked 07.0812-07:24/07.0813-5W. Sampled on March 31, 2013.

The color is a slightly cloudy yellow with a decent white head that eventually settles down.

The aroma is quite distinct with wheat along with an apple kind of ester. Even someone who is not a regular craft beer drinker would pick this up.

The body is light to about medium with a creamy texture.

Like the aroma the taste has a good dose of wheat malts and apple along with a thin twist of lemon to give it a summery sensation. The hops do not linger much but they offset the other qualities. Not a high quality wheat beer but far ahead of what Baltika normally has to offer.

3.48/5  rDev -2%

Pours a lightly hazy full gold color with a frothy thickish white head. The aroma has hints of lemon, and a bit of banana (which I was not expecting), and lightly grainy. The taste is quite tart, with a lemony spritzy of flavor. This beer is fairly clean, slightly off dry, a hint of fruitiness and quite refreshing. This beer has a bit more character than I was expecting, it is still not as characterful as a traditional German Hefeweizen. I am enjoying this beer and it is nice and refreshing on this hot summer night.

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

3.75/5  rDev +5.6%

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

Pours a cloudy gold with a puffy white head, It looks like a real Hefe Weizen!

Smell is a base of wheat malt with strong banana, clove, bubblegum and faintly mint scents. It smells like a German Hefe Weizen!

Taste is sweetish with an underlying sour tang. Lots of clove and banana flavor. Powdery yeast and slight bitterness in the finish. It TASTES like an Honest to God German Hefe Weizen.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkability is as good as any German Hefe Weizen I have ever had. If you had hidden the bottle and handed me a mug of this and told me it was a fresh Franziskaner I would have believed it. I can't believe Baltika made this! A match for almost any German Hefe Weizen on the market. It might not be as good as a Weihenstephaner but I would have to taste them side by side to see! This was made in Russia? Unbelievable!

I absolutely recommend this brew!

3.72/5  rDev +4.8%

Half-liter bottle,

A: Pours a quite cloudy yellow with a firm white head, fair retention to style, looks a bit like a witbier.

S: Definite hefe sent, cloves and bananas, heavier on the cloves an wheat.

T: Light banana, lemon zest, pasta al dente. Moderate intensity in flavour.

M: Light/medium acidity, rather highly carbonated, light-bodied, a tad watery.

D: A nice wheat beer from Baltika. While not incredibly complex, it is nevertheless very drinkable and refreshing, a solid example of the style.

3.31/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Slight clouded orange color. A bit more than one inch slightly off-white head that dissipated quickly. Very little lacing. Slow bubbles rose to the top steadily.

S: Citrus of front; lemon and orange. Hint of clove.

T: Sweet malt, banana and cclove.

M: Light, thin and carbonated. Thought it might be too cold, but warming didn't really help.

D: Fairly good, I think between the sweet and carbonation it wore me out al little. ABV in that range though where a few is possible.

Baltika #8 Wheat from Baltika Breweries