Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

baltika.ru

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by Naerhu on 12-24-2002

2.9/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Great Lenin's ghost! Straight from Mother Russia I finally found a bottleshop that stocks Baltika #8. I had a (non-beer connoisseur) friend describe it as the most banana tasting beer that they had ever tried. Ever. And that was incentive enough for a Weizen-lover like myself to purchase a trio of bottles, perhaps more in future if it lives up to this promise.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Weizen glass.

A: Presentation of the body is a hazy gold/yellow, dare I say 'banana' coloured? Yes I went there. With a fairly boisterous foamy white head that soon eases to a half centimetre lace.

S: The aroma is of banana, of course, cloves, bread yeast with a hint of red apple-peel lurking about in the background. It's a very barnyardy Weizen, not that there's anything wrong with that. In fact some of my favourite beers are barnyardy and Weizeny.

T: Flavour is a bit of a let-down. That banana flavour my friend promised tastes a bit like a chemical banana additive like in a Perky Nana, don't get me wrong I like a Perky Nana but it's a bit distracting as a flavour in my beer. The rest of the taste is a struggle between some overt bread yeast and some zesty spice (clove and cardamom are the notable ones).

M: Bit flat for a Weizen, but that could be more to do with my fridge being on the fritz than the brew. Body is a touch watery for a Weizen as well.

D: It's alright, nothing to write home about, yet here I am. If I'm honest the slightly cheaper Schofferhofer is a better Weizen, a staple in my fridge not likely to become usurped by this upstart renegade Russian wheat beer. I actually wish I hadn't bought 3 of these instead of 3 Weihenstephaners (which were on sale cheaper than this), oh well lesson learned.

Food match: I could only just imagine how good a big cold bowl of Borscht and large warm crusty roll would go with this.... Mmmmother Russia.

3.81/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks and smells (surprisingly) by the book.
Nice banana, wheaty malts, nice clove; Balanced taste.
Lemon zest, quite a lot, creating a bit too much crispness. Ruins the mouthfeel a bit along with the fizz.
Surprisingly, a nice non-german weizen, more than decent.

2.5/5  rDev -29%

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Clear golden color,excellent white thick as cream foam,lasting till the end.
S - Fruty citrus orange aroma. Yeast and hops also.
T/M - Very drinkable,crisp and fresh. fruits and herbal spices aromas. It goes very easy!

O - Manage to made it very good,true weizen.

Baltika #8 Wheat from Baltika Breweries