Dominion Oak Barrel Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States
olddominion.com

Style: American Stout

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Ratings: 1,524 |  Reviews: 702

this beer had become a fav myself and my wife and a few freinds first tried this beer at the brewery in dover de,,,
it was truly amazing,,,the color smell teste.was just awsome..i do suggest if u get this beer in the bottle let it rest b4 drinking...i found this to be better but thats just me...enjoy

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

Fantastic amazing stupendous wonderful whaaaaaaaaaaaat nom nom nom nom nom America 4th of July Pam Grier baby deer corn on the cob beans and cornbread big cheeseburgers and good French fries the best stout evaaaaaaar

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

A growler obtained 11/27/02. A big creamy head floating on this beautiful black as the nite without any stars in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean (I remember of nites like that from days in the Navy) brew. The aroma is something that it is hard to describe. It has this fragrance of vanilla and bourbon. The smoothness and balance of this brew is remarkable. There is sweet softness of the malt embracing the palate and the slight presence of hops at the finish. It has to be one of the most distinctive, drinkable stouts that I have ever had.

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

Got lucky enough to get stuck at BWI airport in Baltimore and went to Ram's Head. Tried the Copperhead first and liked it. Next I tried this wonderful stout. Extremely smooth and very flavorful. Of course the malts were just right. Each drink left that leveled effect that the commercials are telling about. I hope to get stuck at BWI again soon.

4.9/5  rDev +25%

Tasted on tap at RFD in DC on 1/17/04

Appearance: Inky black with a quickly dissapating tan head.

Smell: Heavenly, with dark roasted chocolate malt, plum, vanilla and a hop punch at the end.

Taste: Echoes the nose, with the addition of coffee/mocha tones as well as sweet bourbon and hops on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy, with very fine carbonation.

Drinkability: A little too rich for session drinking but thats not what this was meant for anyway. This is meant for dinner or afterwards.

As near to a perfect brew as I've had.

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

12oz. bottle

Pours a rich black color with creamy mocha head that thins. Nice lacing around the glass.

Aroma is rich and roasty with tones of coffee, cocoa, and vanilla. There is just a touch of oak woven in as well. A real treat for your olfactory senses.

The taste really matches the aroma. Rich, roasted malts upfront that gradually give way to a blend of cocoa, espresso, and vanilla. Hints of oak are present, but are mostly dominated by the other flavors. It finishes quite dry with a lingering mix of roated malts and vanilla. Wonderfully complex and balanced.

Medium-light body, creamy texture. Mild carbonation.

This is one of my favorites, and actually one that I enjoy drinking in the warmer months when my thrist for stouts typically declines. Much more complex and balanced than some of the highly hyped imperial stouts, and certainly sessionable. Seek this one out.

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

Served from a growler purchased at the brewery less than 24 hours ago. The brewery uses a slow-pour system on this beer.

Appearance: Black with some dark reddish brown highlights. A nice and thick dark tan head, about 3/4" tall. Head eventually recedes to a film after two minutes, but some great lacing is left on the sides of the glass. Wowee!

Smell: A stout you actually want to spend some time sniffing, which, in my experience, is kind of a rarity. Strong vanilla, butterscotch, and cocoa smells. Some oak and oatmeal notes as well.

Taste: A splash of vanilla followed by bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts. Butterscotch, cocoa, and bourbon flavors, too. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Mighty tasty and slightly different from a standard stout.

Mouthfeel: Substantial and hearty, yet smooth. There's a nice pleasant warming sensation in the mouth, belly, and throat as this goes down. I'm ready for winter now, dammit! Just need to train the St. Bernard to crack open a growler.

Drinkability: YES, OH MY GOD, YES!!! This was the winner of the "Which Beer Will Go Home in my Growler?" contest. I'm thinking that the growler will never see anything but this stuff, too. Might have to pick up a second one...

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

I think I just found the perfect stout! Freshness dated to 01/27/12 (bottling date).

Sweet malted aroma with hint of vanilla. Pours deep ruby/brown with a full dark beige head. The head lingers and then laces the glass all the way down to the end. Taste is mildly hopped and lightly sweet from the vanilla. Pleasing to the tounge and palate!

4.87/5  rDev +24.2%

Let's start with the palate...An amazing array of cream, chocolate, coffee, caramel, vanilla and wood. All harmoniusly balanced. This is one tasty stout I can tell you. The nose is likewise balanced and floral. The mouthfeel is smooth and as the bier hits your tongue in different places, an explosion of harmony takes place.

Drinking this, I find myself pausing after every delicious mouthful and thinking that I just don't believe that this bier is so good. The Craftsmen at Old Dominion take real pride in their work and this is proof.

Hands down the best stout I've ever had.

John

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

This brew pours ever so slowly from the tap but when it finally reaches you it is blacker than night with a nice creamy brown head that lightly laces the glass. The oak barrels that this stuff is aged in lend a big vanilla quality to the nose with some more subtle burnt malt and sweeter chocolate characterisitics in the background. The brew opens up on the tongue with strong vanilla flavors before it is highjacked by the strong burnt malt presence and its wonderful bitter qualities. The bitter is then joined by a smoothly sweet chocolate quality that complements and balances the bitterness nicely as it fades out. The chocolate sweetness fades out into a nice smooth vanilla finish that lingers pleasantly on the tongue. This has to be one of the smoothest, silkiest beers that I've ever had, an amazing mouthfeel to accompany the heavyish body of the brew. This is a truly awesome brew that is certainly one of my favorite stouts, if only I lived a little closer to the brewpub.

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%

On a tour of the OD brewery, I was lucky enough to encounter this big beer on a nitro tap. it is fabulous. Don't fall for imitations that come out of a bottle, there is nothing like this baby on tap and nitro. It is smooth and creamy like a guiness, but a slight bit more seductive on the tongue, a bit less scorched, and a tang more vanilla. Dark as pitch, I didn't even try to see through...a frothy, but contained head which didn't disappear no matter how long i waited. I couldn't stop drinking it...um, and neither could the 6 odd other people with me -- or the sales guy that brought us on the tour.

Bottles (I've had it) just don't do justice to this beer. i could rate it as one of the all time best darks...It is a reason for not attempting a dark homebrew unless I get myself a nitro tap. it is worth the trip...400+ miles from here.

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Simply delicious had it at the airport waiting in D.C

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Served as a sample at the Penn Festival. The color was a ruby-brown, and maintained a quality head. The smell was of coffee and other malts. The taste was of malts and coffee, and was on the bitter side, but not overly so. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth for a non-nitro stout. Drinkability-wise, this was an excellent balance and I could absolutely drink these all day!

This was the true surprise of the festival, and one I didn't expect to be so good! I hope that I can find this one nearby, because I would certainly purchase it in the future!

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Great vanilla finish very drinkable awesome with a steak

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%