Dominion Oak Barrel Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States
olddominion.com

Style: American Stout

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,531 |  Reviews: 702

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%

This beer pours a very dark brown. It boasts a nice looking brown head. The head fades surprisingly fast, leaving no laces. Pitty.

This beer has a pleasent vanilla aroma. I smell some coffee also. Roasted malts make an appearence. It has a slight oak aroma also. The vanilla aroma is very nice.

Wow. This beer tastes great. It has a strong vanilla flavor. Behind that, I get some oak notes. Coffee flavor is very subtle. It has a sweet caramel like malt flavor also.

This beer goes down smooth, leaving a vanilla like aftertaste. It is low in carbonation, well for the style.

I think this beer might be a good session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great. It might get a little heavy after a few, but I think I could drink it all night.

Overall: Thanks go out to HimerMan for this great beer. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try this beer. Thanks also for a great trade.

4.73/5  rDev +20.1%

My new favorite beer. This is an awesome brew and absolutely MUST be tried.

Appearance - Pours out a black body with a delicious loking tan head. Looks aren't everything, so I was, of course, cynical, but it does look beautiful.

Smell - A wonderful mix of nuts, chocolate, grains, and just plain beer goodness.

Taste - Incredible. Nutty, chocolaty, grainy, sweet, but not overly. An explosion of a stout that completely blew me away. I am a stout lover, but this one really broke the mold and shines through.

Mouthfeel - Just like any micro stout...smooth as a baby's ass.

Drinkability - I can say this is one beer that makes me drop anchor. I was trying to order something different every beer and had to keep ordering these. An excellent beer to drink for an evening.

Overall - Get this beer. It's truly a testament to stouts.

4.71/5  rDev +19.5%

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

Another of over 150+ different brews that has arrived at my doorstep via BOTMC, let's give it a whirl. Popping the top I get a combination of coffee, chocolate and roasted malts, almost a roasted malted milk ball smell. This is a new one for my olfactories and is quite pleasing. This brew pours to a motor oil color and consistency with a tan, yet transitioning from darker to light, head consisting of multi-sized bubbles ranging from medium to small with a pillow top. Head laces as it recedes. On the taste the mouthfeel quickly stands out as highly viscous and silky. The taste then starts with a milky roasted flavor, that slowly ascends to a sweeter chocolate and vanilla, then transitions to a smoky bitterness that still remains sweet in the background. The finish stays bittersweet throughout. This is a delicious brew, I highly recommend.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Black and viscous looking with a frothy khaki head leaving some nice lacing.

S: Caramel, toffee, espresso, vanilla bean, oak

T: Toffee up front, dark coffee bitterness through the middle. Ends with lots of vanilla and creme broulee on the back end. As it warms I get bourbon woodiness that lingers.

M: Medium bodied, not quite what I was expecting. Very smooth though. I was worried I wasn't going to enjoy this as much since we're in the dog days of summer, but it's actually pretty refreshing for a stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a 12 fluid ounce bottle with room for a bottling date, but none printed. Bottle presented courtesy of Garthwaite.

Beer pours deep black and dense with a very low tan head that moves into little patches quickly.

Aroma is rich with coffee like oak tones and a strong vanilla that plays into the spiciness of the oak (and it's own natural sources of vanillian)

Flavor is coffee roasted and caramel with a thick rich body that is quickly undercut by the acidity of the roast and the tannins of the oak.

Very nicely balanced brew and rich with an amazing character normally associated with stronger beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours Very Black (like coke)and rich with a nice dark head. The smell and taste of oak is very noticeable. The beer has a very earthy smell and taste. It is a great beer for the price. May be my favorite beer in this category. It is a great bridge beer between lighter beers and hard core stouts. I hope AB INC's marketing takes this beer to more markets to show it's true potential.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Great Beer

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

thanks to aprilluvsbeer for this via trade! I make an occaisional stout and love to try all sorts. Many times, my own variations on a recipee included, I'm better off sticking with favorites.

This brew is the definition of tasty sbulime stout! Wows without needing to hit you over the head with any one flavor.

A - Rich ruby black with a creamy light tan head

S -Rich malts, oak, vanilla, chocolate, coffee and toffee.

T - like it smells but velvety smooth and very well balance. Almost soft if that makes any sense.

M - very smooth and creamy .

D - goes down very easy.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

This is a good beer in bottled form, but exceptional on-tap.
Appeared an opaque, viscous black color with a soft, tan colored head that didn't remain but left behind some nice lacing. Aromas of wood, alcohol, vanilla, and roasted sugar seemed to come out very nicely. The taste was just an explosion of sweetness with a roasted/smoky character upfront and a honey & vanilla finish. The flavors of this beer on-tap are much more prominent and aggressive than in the bottled verison which is much much more subtle and gentle. The dominating flavors work very well together and generate a lingering sweetness that feels more like root beer or an ice cream float than a stout. I felt my tongue coated after every sip with an almost bready/chewy texture. So rich and so smooth I could have this all day, though eventually the sweetness might rot my teeth.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

Looks like a stout, very dark brown with brown characteristic stout head.

A little lactic on the nose, with some cocoa, roasty malts, and vanilla

Roasted almond and macadamia nut with a deep chalky chocolate flavor. Many different levels of dark and bitter chocolate flavors in this one. Oak flavor comes through and adds to the extremely rich and creamy texture of this beer. Curious notes of vanilla in the background. This beer is truly a masterpiece. Humbling. This beer retains a softness to it and has no flavors that would prevent me from drinking it often and in succession. It also shows how a big ABV is not needed to make an exceptional beer. The subtleties in this beer are exceptional and perhaps may not be detectable with more alcohol.

One for the ages, I am blown away.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

Deep brown colour, suppose I will call it black. Thick Kaki head tops this beautiful stout. Vanilla scent dominates, yet it is mixed with a woody aroma which does a magnificent job of exciting the taste buds. The oak is the first to step up and attack my tongue. That quickly glides into a fantastic mixture of vanilla and oats. Touch of bitterness leads to a slight vanilla after taste. Silky smooth on the palate. It's sad to think i only have one of these left.
This is a very exciting brew that leaves me wanting more.

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company