Dominion Oak Barrel Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States
olddominion.com

Style: American Stout

We use smoked and peated malts to create an intricate malt foundation. Our method of dry hopping with vanilla beans and oak chips pushes the depth of this stout’s flavor spectrum even further.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-12-2001

Ratings: 1,524 |  Reviews: 702
4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very dark color with a thin light brown color head. I have had a more frothy head before, so I am wondering if there is carbonation issues or if time in the bottle effected this. Non-the-less, the Aroma is clearly vanilla and chocolate with a light roasted smell. The taste brings out a light oak flavor with the vanilla and chocolate dominating. Very smooth feel. The vanilla is quite an enjoyable change up for a stout. A thoroughly enjoyable beer that I will certainly have again.

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Had this forever ago (just a tick), finally trying it again for a full review. Thanks to Jeff for the bottle. Like most stouts, deep-brown and black are the only colors to be found throughout the body; it's topped off with a thin tan skin - too weak to be called a "head", even after a fair aggressive pour. Carbonation issues, I wonder? I would expect a much frothier foam than this, especially at only 6.1% ABV.

Although the aroma isn't exactly off-putting or offensive in really any way, it's just kind of bland and mundane. It's carbon copied from the generic, basic "stout" profile and adds only a slight hint of oak. Dry cocoa beans, lightly sweet cream, tons of dry oak, and a touch of vanilla. I'll admit, the slight vanilla addition is nice, but everything is just so underwhelming and weak, that it's kind of hard for me to vibe on this.

A little more java and coffee beanery shows up on the palate, something that is certainly a welcomed accompaniment. Malts provide a light roast and a mild onset of cocoa in the periphery. Oak dryness plagues the background; much to my dismay, the vanilla is even more faint in the flavor than it was in the aroma. Just a dollop and nothing more; I feel it could benefit from a larger vanilla presence.

More roast and dry oak clog the aftertaste; the beer finishes in an uninspiring way and kind of leaves me wanting something more. The carbonation feels surprisingly lively, despite the egregious head formation from the start. Slick, oily and sharp mouth feel, although the body is much too thin for my liking, and especially for the style.

So apparently this beer used smoked and peated malts? I got pretty much no hint of smoke or meatiness here, unless you count the touch of oak throughout, but I'm sure that can be attributed to fermenting with oak chips. Overall, a basic and timid stout; kind of boring and uneventful, and while it's not "bad" by any means, it wasn't really enjoyable or tasty or different enough for me to seek out again.

This one pours dark, dark, brown with shallow, frothy head that isn't going anywhere. Aroma is vanilla and roasted chocolate - taste to match. Smooth, thick mouth-feel. Overall, a very enjoyable beer that I would seek out again. Don't hesitate to give this one a try.

3.48/5  rDev -11.2%

Bought at an Ohio beer mart for around 2 bucks

Date bottled 2/12

Large two finger head that a nice mocha brown color to it. Head fades relatively fast but retains in a thin creamy layer. Jet black colored lively looking beer. Bits of lacing. Predominately roasty for the aroma and I dont know if it was purely biased because of the bottle but I think I catch a hint of vanilla.

Roasty upfront but the finish is very clean and non bitter. low medium bodied and pretty high carbonation for a stout (even a American stout).

Overall: the drinkablity is very high on this beer. Pretty good buy I feel for around 2 bucks, defiantly enjoyed it and it was worth the try.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%