Dominion Millennium Ale | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Old Dominion Brewing Company
Delaware, United States
olddominion.com

Style: English Barleywine

Millennium is brewed in the barley wine style to commemorate our 1000th batch of beer. Its generous hopping & bottle conditioning allow this beer to be cellared and enjoyed for many years.

Added by Todd on 08-11-2001

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pulled from my cellar, purchased winter of 2007, bottling date of 04/03/06.

Poured a dark brownish amber color, not much head, little carbonation. Looks, pretty good!

Smells very malty, and honey-like,... definitely sweet smelling.

The taste was extra malty and sweet. The bottle says its a barleywine style, but is does not taste like the traditional style barleywines that I am used to, its definitely "malt heavy, less hoppy", ... reminds me more of a triple malt scotch ale style.

The body is heavy and its definitely filling. The 11.4% Alcohol by volume is noticeable and warming. This is a nice sipping beer, and I usually only drink one at a sitting. This beer is definitely unique, and worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -10.7%

This bad boy bottled on 11/20/06 – well aged and ready for quaffing. And I’m just the guy for the job.

Clear amber oak with a sticky thin ring of ivory lace. Not bad for a 10 plus booze brew.

Typical sweet caramel barley wine aroma, quaff is a bit on the sweet side too – needs a bit more hop for balance. Bit of a bite on the finish – not distracting enough to downgrade the beer quaffing enjoyment.

It’s strong, and the booze leaks through, but not enough to diminish the overall beer experience.

4.02/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The fruity raisin character and rather sweet grain maltiness blend superbly well with an assertive citrusy hop bitterness. The alcohol is spicy, but subdued by the richness of all the other flavors. It’s alcoholic, for sure, but it doesn’t feel like 11.4%.

This barley-wine style beer was definitely above average, but also featured a deliciously aggressive and leafy hop bitterness, which added some nice balance to a style that is almost always pretty geared towards the character. Bet aging would do wonders for this one.

Highly recommended…

3.62/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 2006

A: Pours a slightly translucent, hazy amberish orange hue with a minimal head. Some bubbles form at the top, but only a fine layer.

S: The bouquet is filled with a somewhat musty and spicy aroma dominated by hoppy notes, with a faint whiff of sweet malt beneath the array of aromas.

T: Mellow hop characteristics pervade, with only a slight bitterness present. Cloying aftertaste from the sweet and spicy introduction, very much geared toward the malt. Still, there is an odd balance that must come from aging.

M: Fairly low carbonation, as is to be expected from this one with the year of age. Still, has a bit more bubbly kick to it than I imagined it would, as well as maintaining an oily feel, mostly on the sides of the tongue. Not as syrupy as first thought, but with more carbonation than expected.

D: This beer threw me for a loop after aging a bit. I honestly expected the hop character to be less prevalent, the carbonation to not be as strong as it was, and for the oiliness to be non-existent. Surprising as these were, this was quite drinkable, even with the abv, which had mellowed out over time. Not a mind-blowing barleywine, even after a year, but still an interesting quaff if you've been sitting on one of these pre-buyout beauties.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

Bottle courtesy of jasonm. Thanks again!

Pours a bright amber color, with a faint white head.

Aromas are dusty, booze like, with some cereal grain notes.

Beer has fairly light flavors for a barley wine. Up front tastes of creamy malts, tea like, and with some mellow dark fruit flavors. Finish is thin, with a light crispness, and a hint of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is ok. But seems a bit weak for a barley wine.

Drinkability is pretty good. This beer is kind of boring and uninteresting for a barley wine that checks in at 11.4% ABV. But it has some decent mellow flavors, and is really easy to drink. My problem is, I can think of quite a few other beers in the style that I would much rather sip than this one.

2.84/5  rDev -29.2%

For a barley-wine, this struck me as being no better than average. There are barley-wines that are potent in their similarity to wine or spirits, with an alcohol astringency and slight sourness...and then there are barley-wines that are tremendously hoppy. And then there's this barley-wine. It's just kind of there. Appearance and mouthfeel are pleasant, but this has to be the least flavorful beer of this style, for good or bad, that I've ever had.

It pours an orange ambrosia color, with so little head that I thought it would be very flat. However, mouthfeel was fairly complex and pleasant. But aroma and flavor were a bit of a let-down, or perhaps just a non-issue. Both were very faint. I detected some malt backbone and a whiff of hops, but this struck me as a beer that had lost its bite since packaging. If you're hanging onto a bottle of this for cellaring, I'd advise you to drink it now. This ber is so mellow, so mild-mannered, so (if I dare say) boring, that I can't imagine letting it mellow some more.

I picked this up during a recent visit to the DC area from Norm's Beer & Wine in Vienna, VA. The bottle informed me that it was packaged on 4 April 007, and the label told me it would lay down for "several years."

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Review from notes. Tasted 7/13/07.

Pours an orange ruby color similar to dark honey. Low head retention. Has a nice citrusy aroma, a faint odor of honey. Very balanced. Nice hoppy flavor with a heavy mal backbone. ABV is very well hidden. Mouthfeel is slightly sticky, nice and smooth. By far one of the most drinkable barleywines i've had. This bottle was only 6 months old. I'd like to see how a year or two would affect the flavors.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Duvel glass, reddish brown, small head which dissipated quickly.
Some sweet malts in the aroma, but very understated for the style.
Flavors in this beer were quite restrained with some really up front alcohol and a late hop bitterness that didn't seem quite right to me. The maltiness associated with this style just wasn't there.
Mouthfeel was on the thin side as well. Drinkability is not a strong point for this beer either. I had this beer a couple of year ago and was much more impressed back then. This feels like a step or two in the wrong direction to me, but I'll age a couple and see if that makes any difference.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on 04/03/06, poured into delirium tremens snifter/tulip.

A - Viscous ruby red grapefuit color. A thin layer of head that only came out of a high pour, dissipates to some small bubbles very quickly.

S - I can definitely smell the honey that is mentioned on the label...a very sweet honey scent with touch of earthy spice. Also a fresh hop aroma, but a very light, grassy hop. A slight touch of a fruity cran-apple juice smell.

T&M - Sweet honey, with a touch of apple spice, very nice caramel malt, and a bit of estery alcohol. A very nice warming sensation as it goes down. It's thick and full in the mouth with a nice amount of tingly carbonation. The alcohol warms you up quite a bit and is almost overpowering.

D - Defiition of a winter night sipper. It's a cool night here in North Carolina, so I can't complain. The honey is a nice touch, and I would love to see what this would do over time. Sadly, my last one...cheers.

4.35/5  rDev +8.5%

The pour into my La Moneuse glass raises a bubbly one finger light tan head that does its business falling quickly. The lacing is pretty clingy, especially for a beer as hefty as this. Below, the beer has an impressive ruby-gold-copper thing going on, which just looks great. Translucent and glowing when backlit. No sediment, though, despite the bottle's claim.

The nose is sweet like honey, with citrus and strawberries. Very impressive. Not much depth, but what there is is great.

As for the taste, there's a great deal of caramel, and sweet fruitiness like the strawberry from the smell, but also sweet apple. I don't pick up on any citrus, but the hops lend an ending bitterness that is slightly herbal. Very nicely balanced, and it hides the alcohol quite well, especially for how new it is (bottled only a month ago).

The mouth is quite thick, with almost no carbonation. Works well. A fine barleywine, would be great to introduce someone to the style, but compares exceptionally to some of the greats.

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a rusty reddish color with a thin one finger white head. Not much retention but the skim on top looks like thin cloudy on a summers day. Very fruity with melons, apricots, sugar, and candy. Slight sweet caramel notes. Sweet and thick all around.

Bitter and dry, but they sneak up on you. Dry in the finish parching the back of the throat. Fruity notes but not as apparent as in the nose. The thick and sugary notes are also no as apparent as in the nose. Spicy hop bitter notes with a slight pine action to them dance on the tongue. Not as big and as bad as the abv suggests. Abv actually is masked quite well. An ok barleywine, but not one that's a need to get.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Deep copper, little sediment. Slight head.

Smell: Caramel, pine, alcohol. A bit sweet but winelike. Very nice.

Taste: Nicely balanced. Sweet at first followed by a little bitter and some alcohol in the finish. Low carbonation. Flavors of caramel, raisin, oak. Finish is slightly different adding some hops and sweet plum.

Overall an awesome barley wine.

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

Bottling date: 02/16/06 - if I'd noticed before opening I would have waited another week. Good info on bottle -Uk Malts, Virginia honey, US and german hops for bittering and EK Goldings for aroma - good mix.

Lovely deep amber color with a bright white head. Foam collapses to an ever present film with a few specks of lace. Slight chill haze shows protiens not all filtered out but very little trub in the bottle for a bottle conditioned beer.

Aroma is all malt - huge, sweet burnt caramel and alcohol and then more toffee and light floral notes. Brandy like blasts of higher alcohols waft in and out. Could be cleaner - any goldings hops are lost in the background, but fine to me for a BW.

Big sweet Mead flavors up front are followed quickly by firm grassy/ herbal notes and sharp bite on the tongue and back of mouth. Alcohol is all but smothered in the balanced barleywine character - as I think it should be. Excellent mix of flavors with no one componant dominating, making large swallows very drinkable. No rough edges here - very tasty.

The body is a bit thin , but thats actually a good thing in my book as that makes this a highly drinkable BIG beer w/out the syrupy heaviness some have and the 11+ % doesnt detract from the flavor and only adds the appropriate warmth on the finish.

A very nice "EastCoast" style BW from a highly underrated Brewery IMHO.
Maybe a year is a good aging point - tho I would like to try older examples.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

I guess this goes to show how you can be completely and utterly tricked by a beer!

I reviewed this beer in my head before I read the bottle, or the website. Knowing that I got it in a Fall-ish trade from Muenchenerkindl (thanks man) I assumed it to be what the picture suggested (and what the seasons suggested): a Maerzen.

I shit you not.

I was going to talk about how this brew is a little too thick of a Maerzen and how it has a little too much fruity melanoidin malt as well as the strange presence of some American hops, but very faint and serving to balance out the OUTRAGEOUS SWEETNESS of the brew . . .

But this isn't a maerzen. It is a Barleywine that can pass as a Maerzen.

Think about that one for a second.

This beer is outrageous. Too sweet for a maerzen, to be sure, but it is just on the outside of too sweet and too cloying (and too boozy . . . btw, I placed this beer at about 6-7% in my head. 11.40! No way!) for a Maerzen but perfect for a barleywine.

This beer is honestly just outside of the quaffable range. I challenge anyone with a love of Germanic beer (ey man, it feels more Germanic than British to me, but with an American twist) to *not* finish this beer in 10 minutes. It's a great beer and a great ride.

Damn I wish they distributed here. This beer is a real winner.

2005 vintage. Warmly glowing ochre with honey colored trim; a rich, inviting color for what I hope is a rich, inviting ale. The head is the color of orange-infused egg nog and is larger than expected given the ABV. It persists for quite a while, but leaves very little lace behind. No problem, most barleywines aren't lace monsters.

The nose could be more assertive. That said, it fits the style well and leads me to think that I'm going to like the flavor. The star of the show is white rum-soaked oranges... with everything else well out of the spotlight. Okay, so complexity isn't its strong suit either. I like it though.

I feel the same way about the flavor that I feel about the aroma. At least the beer is being consistent. The reason that I don't love Millenium is the same reason that I don't love English barleywines in general: a lack of hops. At least the American versions of the style have flavors that I enjoy (the whole gamut of flavors that come from a wide variety of hops) rather than flavors that don't really thrill me (high-octane pale malt).

Don't get me wrong, this is an enjoyable, warming sipper of a beer; it just doesn't wow me. In fact, it's so simple that it almost reminds me of a huge maibock: all blonde malt, all the time. Try as I might, I can't appreciate the dark Virginia honey that the brewery assures us in there. No doubt the yeasties feasted on whatever was added and turned it into good ol' alcohol. At nearly two years of age I would have expected less of an alcohol presence (hint: hops do a great job in the cover-up department).

There's nothing at all wrong with Millenium's mouthfeel. It's exactly the mouthfeel that I would have expected give the rest of the beer's attributes. Good points include a remarkable silky smoothness with absolutely no rough edges. Bad points... well, there aren't any.

This 2005 Dominion Millenium is one of the most solid, least flashy English barleywines that I've ever had. I've tried not to let my preference for the hoppy, American take on the style get in the way of giving this one a fair shake, and I think I've succeeded. These guys are fantastic brewers. I hope the recent rumors of their impending demise have been greatly exaggerated.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a nice clear dark golden, slightly rising head that quickly fades to almost nothing. Smells malty as hell, sweet with caramel and toffee.
Tastes very nice, lots of malts that ring of toffee, slight dark fruit, very slight chocolate and smoke.
Rich mouthfeel, slides down the throat like liquid gold.
Very easy to drink, doesn't shout at you, just slips down very easily with no objectionable notes at all. Thanks to WarriorSoul for this sample.

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Bottled 02/16/06.
Clear reddish copper colour topped by a solid cap of whitish foam that slowly subsided. Chunky lacing with decent head retention. Malty aroma - caramel with toffee notes and a bit of grain husk. Floral hops and light alcohol as well. Middling bitterness with plenty of caramel sweetness. Toffee, toasted malt and molasses, along with floral and grassy hops, fill things out. Alcohol flavour and warmth grow into the finish, but aren't overbearing. Full bodied and quite creamy, mid-low carbonation. Some dryness from the alcohol, but the malt keeps this in check. I like this quite a lot. Definitely more English character, they sure didn't scrimp on the malt bill. I'll be looking for more!

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours the color of cherry wood with a thin ivory head. Smells of molasses, dark fruit, vanilla and oak.

Tastes of alcohol up front but not too hot. Caramel flavors, hints of vanilla, plum and other dark fruit. Some significant hops in the finish but the malt shines in this beer. Mouth is rich and full. Finish is an warming alcohol burn. A good candidate for aging but pretty good now. Good winter seasonal.

4.55/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks a million to froggyfrog for hookin me up with this brew.

Appearance: pour luminous red copper with powerful carbonation despite the small head. The fine carbonation bubbles are rising fervently so that when they reach the top the don’t stop they continue to reach for heaven jumping right through the barrier creating disturbed waters a top this bubbly brew. After a few minutes the force behind these bubbles subsides but is was in the moment an impressive display.

Smell: Sweet candied malts and almost citrus fruity hops that simply bask in their own glory and brandy alcohol.

Taste: Vinous boozy and beautiful, with health servings of vanilla, cinnamon, orange cream, and apple; big caramel, toffee and figs flavors, pineapple, brown sugar, honey alcohol and pine hops. The alcohol while not hidden is also not harsh for 11.40% ABV. It is like a soft brandy or friendly wine in which it is noticeable but contributes to the warming nature, feel, and flavor.

Mouthfeel: Juicy and slick with the flavor components acting on the palate in a manor that keep it lively. The hops nip here while the alcohol pulls there and a beer this is not otherwise heavy becoming fascinating to swirl.

Drinkability: Session this beer and die ;-). However hearty it is, it is also incredibly friendly to drink and each sips ends with a strong desire for more making the beer, IMO, really quite drinkable and overall; exceptional.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Twelve-ounce bottle served in a glass goblet.

Blood red and copper with a minimal white head.

Very malty nose, buttery caramel notes with Scotch-like alcohol.

Sweet on the palate, toffee and orange marmalade toast control. Several varieties of hops provide a solid balance for the hefty Maillard-affected malt sugars.

A mighty brew at over 11%, this sipper is super smooth and rides the tongue like a big malty slip-and-slide.

This delightful beer, an exceptional example of its style, is a truly enjoyable drink.

3.97/5  rDev -1%

Pours a slightly hazy red/copper, small white head forms, settles to a thin layer, some lace spots on the glass. Smell is sweet, caramel, some butter, bread, alcohol, dark fruits. Taste is toffee and bread, grass, some butter, spicy floral, toffee in the finish, some alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation, some heat going down, nice sipper. Thanks grub!

3.4/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hmmm...love a good barleywine.
Color is perfectly dark amber with a half finger of melting tan head that ends up with a very pretty ring of lacing.
Aromas are the traditional sweet dark amber malts with brown sugar.
Taste is sweet dark amber malt and brown sugar but then sort of loses it in a mix of hops and alcohol.
Aftertaste is sort of hops and alcohol but not real pleasant,
Barleywine? Yes.
English....maybe
drinkable....nope.

got this bottle in a trade with Aprilluvsbeer. thanks april!

pours a reddish copper colour with a very fine white head.

aroma is great. rich bready malt. bit of alcohol. some roast. dried fruit. slightly vinous. caramel. bit of honey.

taste is nice. great bready malt. moderate bitterness level. some residual sweetness. caramel. dates and raisins. hint of roastyness. not much alcohol in the flavour, but a little warmth on the way down. still, the 11.4% is hidden fairly well. well balanced.

mouthfeel is good. body is big, but not too big. slightly low carbonation. very fine, well integrated carbonation.

drinkability is pretty good. it's a tasty beer.

4.17/5  rDev +4%

Translucent, honey colored body with practically zero head. A bit murky I guess you could say. No carbonation, no yeast. Rich, nutty, sweet, warming, and a lil hops, nothing too over the top though. Malt profile smells pretty good.

Pretty hoppy with a solid malt background. Not as thick as I figured it to be, nor as strong. The hops hide the alcohol quite well, and the malt presence is a-okay. Nicely balanced, I like this beer. Nutty, sweet, fruity malt carry this beer through the mild hoppy finish.

Medium-full body with minimal carbonation. Not as syrupy as I like my barleywines, but this is very warming on a fairly cold evening. Very easy drinking, and to know that its 11.4% is mind-blowing. Alcohol is nowhere to be found, and this was brewed in April of '06. Not sure how strong it was fresh, but at this point in time its great. An incredibly solid beer that surprised the hell out of me.

3.79/5  rDev -5.5%

A - A nearly opaque sienna brew with a small head that lingers for about a minute. No lacing. Carbonation is extremely intense especially since only the very edge of the brew is visible.

S - Mangoes, roses, blue spruce, toffee and caramel. A nice aroma. Abv undetectable.

T - Upfront pine hops and a bit of mango. The aftertaste is a mild pine bitterness. After that wears off there is a toffee character. Abv is undetectable.

M - Harsh from the high carbonation. Thin for a barleywine (which isn't necessarily bad). Not refeshing one way or the other.

D - This is an alright barleywine (I wouldn't call it English personally). I think there are a lot of better ones out there, but this is a certainly far from the worst. I would not mind having this again! I think this might be an instance where an even fresher bottle mind be nice. I am not sure how aging this would affect its characteristics.

Bottling date: 04/09/06