Winter Chills

Winter
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Winter ChillsWinter Chills
Notes: Warm up this season with Winter Chills, a limited release ale with a sweet aroma and caramel malt taste. With a small bite and medium body, this copper colored dry ale leaves a lasting impression, just like a winter chill.

Caramunich, Pale Smoked Malt; Perle Hops; 28 IBUs
View: Beers
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 13 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.85/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle split with my wife, poured into snifters. Pours a copper color with a smallish off-white head. Aroma and taste feature caramel, toasted bread, a hint of citrus, and a touch of bitterness. No off flavors and the 7.5% abv is very well hidden. Pretty much exactly how I'd expect a slightly amped-up F&D beer to taste. Solid.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Bought this for $10/case (bottles) and didn’t think much of it after the first sip. It’s sweet without much balance. After the first one I gave it another shot and noticed the abv. 7.5% - this tastes like it’s high 4%’s.

Made this account just to say this beer is pretty great.

3.26/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The copper colored beer pours out into a shaker pint glass with a 1/8” off white head that soon disappears leaving only a small ring around the glass that also does not last long. After the first few sips there are no spots of lacing on the sides of the glass.

The aromas are mostly about the malt and it’s bready flavor. Not much in the way of hops showing.

The flavors are much as expected from the nose with lots of rich bready malt. The malt sweetness almost conceals entirely the earthy, slightly woody contribution of the hops.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied watery with the very light, almost nonexistent carbonation. The finish is about the fading of the sweetness and malt flavors which allow the slightly earthy and floral bitterness to sort of show in the semi-dry ending.

On the whole I was a bit disappointed in this beer since it seemed to me to have and aroma/flavor profile that wasn’t very complex and was mostly about bready malt sweetness. Don’t think I’ll be having this one again.

2.02/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Taste: Malt, cola-ish, medium bitter, no spice, no cinnamon, lacking depth & complexity, also lacking a good overall flavor. I would not buy this "Winter Warmer" again. More of a winter stinker.

3.74/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I love visiting the Monde Market in PHL since I never know what I am going to find there. My recent foray uncovered this little gem which may be exactly what I need to take off some of the Chills as Winter approaches!

From the Bottle: "Limited Release Ale"; "Heavy bodied ale with sweet malt flavors and a dry finish."

I Pop!ped the cap, raising a toast to the jagov who snuck a pic in underneath me. My aggro, C-Line pour did nothing to raise any head so I helped it along with a vigorous in-glass swirl. I only got a brief finger of fizzy, foamy, light-tan head that quickly reverted to wisps, so that was that. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was a sugary malt bomb, but lacking anything to mark it as a Winter Warmer. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but nothing to write home about, either. The taste remained rather sweet, malty, slightly bready. Finish was semi-sweet, at most. Dry?!? Who the f**k did they bribe at the ATF? BS! As for me, thanks, but no thanks.

Winter Chills from Fordham & Dominion Brewing Company