Double D Double IPA | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BuxMontBeerLover on 05-19-2011

1.25/5  rDev -65.8%

1.65/5  rDev -54.8%

Semi-hazy tarnished amber color with a half finger of head. Lots of dark fruit malt on the nose, touch of earthy and citric hops.

Brisk, on the lighter side of being heavy bodied. Dark fruit flavors, fig jam, sugared raisins, some rum and lots of caramel. Hops aren't really the center focus, more of an after thought and is just there for balance. Still some lingering sweetness though. Not alot of detectable alcohol for the abv but a little off for the style. Very much so on the sweet side for a DIPA. I've loved everything i've had from this brewery except this one. Double D just isn't the double IPA you would expect from Dominion, definitely not enough hops. Kind of simple and not impressive.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Appearance - touch of red but an otherwise golden hue. Started to pour straight down the center, watching for a head to billow up, but that never happened. Hm... Thin head, a few swaths of lace here and there.

Aroma - kind of a light soapy, bready thing going on. No hops in the nose to speak of. Hm...

Taste - there are definitely hops in this beer. There is also a considerable footprint of alcohol. The grains are brief and beat down by a hot malt liquor abv heat. The hops come mostly astringent and pithy, the alcohol tends to overpower any florals. I do get hints of citrus and piney bitterness but the pine is momentary. After that, it's harsh, hot, and not all that flavorful. Ends with astringency and alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel - for a beer that I don't care much for the taste of, I really dig the mouthfeel. Velvety smooth, the way I like the DIPAs, with plenty of crispness and body to fit the style.

Overall - needs a bigger grain bill for balance. Not one I'd revisit.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%

Rating from memory. Poured to glass.

Amber in appearance. Sweet malt/caramel in nose, little in the way of hops. Taste was malt first, then more malt, with maybe the slightest hint of hops but nowhere near enough to be considered a double IPA. Cloyingly sweet. Must admit the ABV was well hidden, but that may be the biggest positive this beer had going for it IMO.

Maybe I had an old 6 pack. As it was I wished I had some sucker to trade these off to. I've never drain poured a beer but these came close. Would not buy again, would turn down if offered.

2.56/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a half finger off-white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Spotty lacing left behind.

Floral hop aroma with a soily, grassy character that's countered by a sweet malt backbone. Slightly resinous with subtle spicy needle followed by caramel malt, toffee and biscuit.

Medium bodied with perfume like earthy hops that provide dry bitterness that lingers over the sweet malt backbone into a bone dry finish. Very dirty/soily with sticky pine needle flavor that dominates the hop profile. Needs some citrus/sweetness for balance. The sweetness comes from a strong caramel malt backbone that slightly overpowers the hops. Hints of rye, caramel, toffee and biscuit. Some alcohol burn toward the finish but overall the ABV decently masked. Kind of all over the place with too much alcohol and sweet malt. In theory it sounds like it's well balanced, but there's just three different extreme flavors battling each other.

2.62/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

not bad but i was expecting more. Too piney for my taste

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Disclaimer: I grabbed this for a "build your own 6 pack" batch and it may have been sitting in the bottle shop for quite some time.

Look: Gorgeous, an absolutely beautiful clear dark amber - copper color. Poured a fair head at 1.5-2 fingers (I have big fingers) with a slightly off-white color. Visible carb.

Smell: A little muted (which is why I think I may have gotten unlucky with my selection) with some grapefruit notes that promised something nice and refreshing.

Taste: Now, I hope this was a bad one because the taste was really bad. Loads of phenol alcohol that made it taste like hand sanitizer. I was eating it with some chinese pork sausage, belgian endive, and crab cakes if that effects anything.

Feel: Didn't quite burn going down as much as it did scorch my insides.

Overall: DIPAs are my favorite style but this made me sad. I really wanted to like this beer and I am going to give it another try in the future but as of right now I'm not happy with it.

2.72/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Made me sick. Not interested