Morning Glory Espresso Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

olddominion.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by larryi86 on 11-24-2012

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A - Dark, almost opaque blackness, but with a hint of transparency on its edges. Light tan head, quick to fade off to a rim on the edge. Lots of tight lacing. Pretty.

S - Quiet. What comes through is bread and molasses, chocolate and a hint of the coffee promised.

T - Rich coffee and mocha, bread and a mild acidic, coffee's bitter acridity in the close. The taste is rich, and definitely delivers a breakfast style stout.

M - Open is slick and sticky, the close sharp and dry. The result is a beer that can play it both ways, sweet and open in the start but calling for a quick return as the dryness kicks in.

O - A nice, full bodied stout that offer richness and a clean striking close. Beauty.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am working on yet another horizontal, beginning with this Stout on the heels of a 2014 vintage Terrapin Wake-n-Bake. This is all making me jones for some hops, though.

I gotta give it to Salt-n-Beer for this summation: "Artwork: The label in this pinup series beer depicts a lady that appears to be wearing a military shirt and nothing else. She is stretching and yawning in front of a window. Not the most suggestive of labels in this series, but the same cannot be said about this beer's name."

From the bottle: "Loose lips sink ships, and coquettish Glory will never tell. A midnight Stout brewed with coffee beans, Morning Glory wakes up at 9% Alc. by Vol. with the aroma of espresso."

Morning Glory seems to be of WWII-era Army Air Force vintage, but as a retired U.S. Navy salt, I can tell you that coffee is what kept us going. I knew a Glory Dawn in school & she also had a pleasant build. I am going to Pop! Morning Glory's cap here in a second, but I figured that I would give her a moment to gird herself for what is coming. Imagine my profound disappointment at discovering that she was sporting a screw-top! I could have accessed her much more quickly, had I known ... I took her over my knee & really stirred things up to get her going. I had two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, light-tan head before she exhaled & it all fell away to wisps. What a tease! Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. I suddenly realized that she had slipped a blindfold over my eyes. Oooh. Nose smelled like she knew I was visiting and had coffee going in anticipation of my arrival. Dark, roasty, some chocolate & even a light smokiness greeted me. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, but since it was Glory's kiss, I found it in me to overlook this. The taste was of very bitter, black coffee which is how I prefer both my coffee and my Coffee Stouts, but it may be too much for some. Finish was dry, bitter, slightly smoky & lingering. I liked its intensity, especially coming on the heels of Wake-n-Bake, which was good, but not as good as this.

3.84/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

11/01/13
Aroma us coffee, Dark chocolate, salt. Dark black color, thick, small tan head. Flavor is bittersweet chocolate, toasted malt. A good bitterness. Feel is not very lively, but the drinking is smooth. A nice stout.
09/18/15
Parallel tasting: 1 GD Espresso Yeti, 2. Lagunitas Capuccino Stout 3. Old Dominion Morning Glory 4. Southern tier Mokah

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Coffee 'black' with a large creamy head that dies off fairly shortly, and a slight bit of webby lace.

Smell is nutty, slightly bitter roasted coffee with cream and sugar and a hint of cocoa.

Taste is surprisingly rich with roasted coffee and dark malt with a good tang, some deep chocolate, and burnt brown sugar that actually adds a little bitterness.

Fully frothy with a little light fizz within, medium bodied, semi-dry.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

4.36/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.85/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Very nice espresso stout. Super dark with a thin sudsy head, some lacing. A great roasty, bitter chocolate smell. Tastes bitter, dark, and malty, with chocolate and coffee upfront. Mouthfeel was not as heavy or smooth as I expected. Somewhat thick, but not necessarily creamy. A little sparkly. Enjoyed it.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%