Morning Glory Espresso Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by larryi86 on 11-24-2012

Reviews by BuxMontBeerLover:

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am working on yet another horizontal, beginning with this Stout on the heels of a 2014 vintage Terrapin Wake-n-Bake. This is all making me jones for some hops, though.

I gotta give it to Salt-n-Beer for this summation: "Artwork: The label in this pinup series beer depicts a lady that appears to be wearing a military shirt and nothing else. She is stretching and yawning in front of a window. Not the most suggestive of labels in this series, but the same cannot be said about this beer's name."

From the bottle: "Loose lips sink ships, and coquettish Glory will never tell. A midnight Stout brewed with coffee beans, Morning Glory wakes up at 9% Alc. by Vol. with the aroma of espresso."

Morning Glory seems to be of WWII-era Army Air Force vintage, but as a retired U.S. Navy salt, I can tell you that coffee is what kept us going. I knew a Glory Dawn in school & she also had a pleasant build. I am going to Pop! Morning Glory's cap here in a second, but I figured that I would give her a moment to gird herself for what is coming. Imagine my profound disappointment at discovering that she was sporting a screw-top! I could have accessed her much more quickly, had I known ... I took her over my knee & really stirred things up to get her going. I had two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, light-tan head before she exhaled & it all fell away to wisps. What a tease! Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. I suddenly realized that she had slipped a blindfold over my eyes. Oooh. Nose smelled like she knew I was visiting and had coffee going in anticipation of my arrival. Dark, roasty, some chocolate & even a light smokiness greeted me. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, but since it was Glory's kiss, I found it in me to overlook this. The taste was of very bitter, black coffee which is how I prefer both my coffee and my Coffee Stouts, but it may be too much for some. Finish was dry, bitter, slightly smoky & lingering. I liked its intensity, especially coming on the heels of Wake-n-Bake, which was good, but not as good as this.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Jet black with relatively small tan head.

Nose: Not much going on here. You can smell the coffee somewhat. A little bit of burnt bread.

Taste: Sweeter than I would have thought. The coffee is marginally stronger here.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light body. Carbonation harsher on the tongue than expected.

Overall: I felt that this one lacked enough complexity to be considered a great beer. Nothing too offensive though. If coffee is your thing however, this may not give you the necessary fix.

2.97/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Looks like it should for a double stout

S: Best part of this beer is the smell, almost has a barrel aged character to it

T: My bottle was dated May 2013 so that must be why this beer isn't very good. I taste very little coffee and a lot of fake chocolate when drinking this beer

M: Decent, a little flat

O: I may just be tasting an almost year old batch but this beer was not good at all. I would have thought a 9% stout would hold up somewhat well over a year but that doesn't seem to be the case with this beer. I was very excited by the smell because it smelled a bit of bourbon but the fake chocolate taste was a huge let down.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a deep dark black absorbs all light no ruby highlights to note, big mocha tan head forms thick and lasts awhile, fine speckled lacing left behind. Aroma has big notes of milk chocolate, creamed coffee, a bit of acrid acidity from the coffee roasts to boot. Flavor really stays balanced not overtly sweet or killer with lactose sugars but there's a not of creamed coffee, dark roasted malt base with the bitter dark espresso adds to a nice robust finish and each sip is a bit smoother going down the last. Alcohol flavors add to the complexity and I believe at 9% I would say it's well hidden in this sample...a brewery I used to recognize as a Virginian Old Dominion staple is now brewed and bottled in Dover, DE. This is part of a series they released with WWII era pinup girls and of all the labels this is the most likely that would actually be hanging on your wall. Mouthfeel is smooth a bit of creamy textured dark chocolate with a balanced bitterness from the dark roasted malts/coffee additions, carbonation is natural and the alcohol warmth doesn't overwhelm but it's sure to warm you during the polar vortex we are currently experience. Overall, I'm very impressed with this offering comparing it to the Double D DIPA that I tried, which I found to be sugary and not fermented out all the way.

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle in D.C.
A very good, mainstream coffee stout. Good balance in both bitter/sweet and in roasted grains/coffee flavors. Looked like it might be over-carbonated at the pour but the feel was quite good.

O: recommended.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a solid-looking stout with pretty good thickness in its dark brown body. It develops a tan head in the snifter, which sits at a full finger's height, barely fading through the entire session and dropping patching as it goes.
Espresso is straightforward in the nose, and refreshingly so. True, it may be one-dimensional, but it really isn't entirely, as some notes of roast and cocoa come out. It's nice to see a beer with as a complementary a note as coffee is to stout that translates well and isn't hushed.
It's straightforward in the taste, too, though this is a very well-brewed beer that shows off strong flavor without needing to blow the drinker's face off, and it puts in the forefront what's supposed to be there without dominating the supporting cast. Speaking of: roast, gently bittersweet cocoa, and vanilla all take their turn. more points go to this beer for avoiding the pitfalls of the style: acidity, astringency and/or an acrid harshness. Finally, that 9% ABV? It blows my mind to even read that it's that high while smelling or tasting this beer.
It starts off like a coffee soda (surprisingly good, though), a bit heavy on the carbonation and spritz. It backs down a bit as it goes and the body is really quite smooth. It's got just a touch less body than it ought to. Overall, though, this is really quite good. Kudos to these guys for a beer that, being my second, piques my interest in the brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with a quarter of a finger of caramel-colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Not much in the aroma department. There are some aromas of roasted malt, a touch of smoke, a little bit of coffee, but not much, some vanilla, brown sugar and chocolate. But all of these aromas are faint, not strong and enticing.

Taste: However, what the beer lacks in strength of aroma, it makes up for in a damn good taste! Tons of roasted malt and brown sugar up front, followed by a touch of smoke, some vanilla, but not a lot of coffee flavor, which is surprising for a beer called espresso stout. I’m not disappointed, but coffee lovers probably will be. Still, it’s a delicious beer!

Mouthfeel: Chewy and smooth as silk, as there’s no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 9.0%, there is a pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate.

Overall: Wow, this is a very good, almost great stout! I love the massive malt flavors and sweetness and I find the lack of coffee to be really good (I’m not a coffee fan). Like I said earlier, coffee lovers will probably be disappointed in the lack of coffee flavors found in a beer called an espresso stout, but I really, really liked this beer.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

DATE TASTED: November 29, 2015 ... GLASSWARE: Samuel Smith tulip pint... OCCASION: Christmas lights--up and operational... APPEARANCE: pitch black body supports a creamy, thick brown head that smears cirrus clouds above its half-finger base... attractive crags form while the head settles... AROMA: deep, alluring peat and coffee bean... what else? some briny notes with roasted malts... slight alcohol wafts in... PALATE: warm, soft, and smooth--much gentler than the 9% ABV would suggest; late action warms and leaves a comfortably lingering aftertaste that cooks... TASTE: as advertised, a powerful shot of coffee bean and roasted malts... the flavor is not overwhelming, but it is demonstrative... reasonable sweetness... OVERALL: as espresso stouts go, solid and rewarding...the ABV instantly numbs and the caffeine stimulates...one of Dominion's better, right up there with the Oak Barrel stout...

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%