Morning Glory Espresso Stout

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Morning Glory Espresso StoutMorning Glory Espresso Stout
Notes: Morning Glory is a full-bodied espresso stout that utilizes locally roasted coffee beans. Waking up at 8% ABV with the aroma of espresso and the taste of chocolate, she gives drinkers a jolt.
View: Beers
Reviews: 101 | Ratings: 469 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MrWonka:
4.14/5  rDev +7%

Great coffee/espresso stout. It's funny bcuz with the 9%abv its obviously a sipping brew. That being said you can very well easily drink it otherwise. Has a great chocolatey/coffee/espresso aftertaste that is expected. Where this particular brew really shines is in it's light creaminess. Drink one, you'll know what I'm talking about. And at $9.99/6pk (again with 9% alc) it's hard to beat a good coffee/espresso stout. Cheers my friends.

3.73/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Jet black with relatively small tan head.

Nose: Not much going on here. You can smell the coffee somewhat. A little bit of burnt bread.

Taste: Sweeter than I would have thought. The coffee is marginally stronger here.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light body. Carbonation harsher on the tongue than expected.

Overall: I felt that this one lacked enough complexity to be considered a great beer. Nothing too offensive though. If coffee is your thing however, this may not give you the necessary fix.

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am working on yet another horizontal, beginning with this Stout on the heels of a 2014 vintage Terrapin Wake-n-Bake. This is all making me jones for some hops, though.

I gotta give it to Salt-n-Beer for this summation: "Artwork: The label in this pinup series beer depicts a lady that appears to be wearing a military shirt and nothing else. She is stretching and yawning in front of a window. Not the most suggestive of labels in this series, but the same cannot be said about this beer's name."

From the bottle: "Loose lips sink ships, and coquettish Glory will never tell. A midnight Stout brewed with coffee beans, Morning Glory wakes up at 9% Alc. by Vol. with the aroma of espresso."

Morning Glory seems to be of WWII-era Army Air Force vintage, but as a retired U.S. Navy salt, I can tell you that coffee is what kept us going. I knew a Glory Dawn in school & she also had a pleasant build. I am going to Pop! Morning Glory's cap here in a second, but I figured that I would give her a moment to gird herself for what is coming. Imagine my profound disappointment at discovering that she was sporting a screw-top! I could have accessed her much more quickly, had I known ... I took her over my knee & really stirred things up to get her going. I had two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, light-tan head before she exhaled & it all fell away to wisps. What a tease! Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. I suddenly realized that she had slipped a blindfold over my eyes. Oooh. Nose smelled like she knew I was visiting and had coffee going in anticipation of my arrival. Dark, roasty, some chocolate & even a light smokiness greeted me. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, but since it was Glory's kiss, I found it in me to overlook this. The taste was of very bitter, black coffee which is how I prefer both my coffee and my Coffee Stouts, but it may be too much for some. Finish was dry, bitter, slightly smoky & lingering. I liked its intensity, especially coming on the heels of Wake-n-Bake, which was good, but not as good as this.

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

3.77/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Poured from the bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body is black with a small tan head that leaves behind some lacing.

S: Coffee. A touch of roasted barley malt and dark fruits. But mostly coffee.

T: First impression is the coffee. But after the palate adjusts to that, I'm also getting a nice roasty foundation underneath, with some fruitiness - dark fruits and dried fruits - and some vanilla, followed up with a bit of char and roast bitterness at the finish. I've had far better coffee stouts, but this isn't bad at all.

M: A bit thin/underweighted in feel. Carbonation is modest.

O: OK. Nothing earth-shattering, but better than I expected for some reason.

4.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Woo hoo. I had a few beers working in the yard all day, and I had one or two since as well, but this is the winner of the day. And although this may be a great breakfast stout, it is working well as an end of day brew.

The thing pours oil black with little head or lace. The aroma is of what it is - a coffee flavored stout. Very nice.

The taste is a nice sweet, slightly hoppy, coffee stout. Very nice. The aftertaste is a nice lingering bittersweet.

I like this beer a lot and will seek it out in the future.

3.29/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -3.1%

4.28/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

bottled 5-31-13.

Served in a Schlafly snifter.

A: Looked like your average, run-of-the-mill, imperial coffee stout: Black as night with a sticky, icky head that clung to the glass and then some.

S: This one had a mocha flair (as opposed to a black, roasted coffee one) in spades. Smelled good... fresh!

T: It had a good bit of that buttercream frosting-esque sensibility that Terrapin "W N' B" has. Extremely smooth and quite delectable. Mocho milkshake.

M: Thick and creamy, and one with have to have an ABV microscope to detect anything above 4% here. 9%? Really? You've gotta be F-ing kidding me!

O: I truly think the reason this brew hasn't caught on is because of the bad blood between Old Dominion and the local consumers. I feel as cheated as anyone about them leaving the local craft scene by leaving Ashburn years ago and selling out to the giant in St. Louis. However, I'll give credit where credit is due: This beer is excellent.

3.83/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%

A: This poured a nearly opaque black with almost no head.
S: It smelled like bold French roasted coffee, with some sugar and cream.
T: It tasted like earthy and smoky French roast coffee, with some sugar and cream. It had a clean and mellow bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was thin with a bit of carbonation. Weak body.
D: This was an ok coffee stout at best. The scent and taste were basic, but enjoyable. The body was terrible, but the finish was crazy smooth with well hidden alcohol. So it was very easy to drink, especially for the style. Not for aging. An unimpressive brew, but could serve as a good gateway for those just getting into coffee stouts.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -16%