Morning Glory Espresso Stout | Old Dominion Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by larryi86 on 11-24-2012

View: Beers
3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

Old Dominion Brewing Company "Morning Glory Espresso Stout"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, simply markedd "12/29/17" and sampled on 04/11/18

Notes via stream of consciousness: After asking myself what makes an espressos stout other than using espresso beans I checked the label and there it is again, the term "Malt Beverage" rather than beer or ale. So what makes it a malt beverage? Are there not enough hops in it to call it beer? It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious. Anyway, it looks like an espresso. The creamy head is a dark tan with dark bubbles that look like espresso chips, and the body is an opaque black with just a glimmer of dark mahogany brown at the base of the glass when held to the light. How is the aroma? Unfortunately more chocolatey and nutty than coffee-like to me. There's some espresso but not much. At the very least it doesn't have that bright, fresh, oily, coffee bean aroma that some coffee stouts do. It's OK, but it's not that promising concerning the flavor, not that enticing in general, and to be honest, it doesn't even really tell me that it's a coffee beer, er... malt beverage, that I'm about to drink. Fingers crossed, let's taste it... well at least there's some redemption there. It's rich with dark chocolate, nuttiness, dark caramel, and espresso. I was originally going to write "coffee" but there is something more to it, it's richer and deeper I guess, so espresso works. I'll give them credit for that. Other good points: it's not to acidic or roasty or harsh in any way, nor is it to bitter, the alcohol doesn't show at all, and it's got a nice, creamy, medium body and soft carbonation. The roastiness lingers in the dry finish once the sweetish malt fades. So, overall, it's got a good appearance and it's head held well and left some nice lacing, the aroma could use some help, but the flavor is very good. I'd enjoy this beer again.
Review# 5,938

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L---Dark. Black. A fairly mild pour resulted is a big, thick light brown head that actually had a Guinness waterfall. Retention was medium and it left nice lacing. This is exactly what a stout should look like.

S---Coffee is predominant. Chocolate in the background.

T---Follows the nose. Coffee first, then chocolate. High ABV does not show up.

O---I don't know that I'd advertise it as an espresso stout. It's more of a regular stout with some coffee to it. Very good in any case. I'll have another, please.

F---A bit dry at the end. Carbonation is good.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.44/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Great aromas, great notes. Boozy onset, boozy linger—but neither overwhelming. Thick and complex. Sips like an imperial stout

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.17/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer pours smooth with a nice creamy head. It looks dark and rich and smells like roasted malt with a tinge of coffee. The taste is like roasted coffee, then creamy and ends with a a little bit too bitter of a bite. I will definitely be back for more.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%

4.72/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.94/5  rDev +2.1%

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Dark, almost opaque blackness, but with a hint of transparency on its edges. Light tan head, quick to fade off to a rim on the edge. Lots of tight lacing. Pretty.

S - Quiet. What comes through is bread and molasses, chocolate and a hint of the coffee promised.

T - Rich coffee and mocha, bread and a mild acidic, coffee's bitter acridity in the close. The taste is rich, and definitely delivers a breakfast style stout.

M - Open is slick and sticky, the close sharp and dry. The result is a beer that can play it both ways, sweet and open in the start but calling for a quick return as the dryness kicks in.

O - A nice, full bodied stout that offer richness and a clean striking close. Beauty.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am working on yet another horizontal, beginning with this Stout on the heels of a 2014 vintage Terrapin Wake-n-Bake. This is all making me jones for some hops, though.

I gotta give it to Salt-n-Beer for this summation: "Artwork: The label in this pinup series beer depicts a lady that appears to be wearing a military shirt and nothing else. She is stretching and yawning in front of a window. Not the most suggestive of labels in this series, but the same cannot be said about this beer's name."

From the bottle: "Loose lips sink ships, and coquettish Glory will never tell. A midnight Stout brewed with coffee beans, Morning Glory wakes up at 9% Alc. by Vol. with the aroma of espresso."

Morning Glory seems to be of WWII-era Army Air Force vintage, but as a retired U.S. Navy salt, I can tell you that coffee is what kept us going. I knew a Glory Dawn in school & she also had a pleasant build. I am going to Pop! Morning Glory's cap here in a second, but I figured that I would give her a moment to gird herself for what is coming. Imagine my profound disappointment at discovering that she was sporting a screw-top! I could have accessed her much more quickly, had I known ... I took her over my knee & really stirred things up to get her going. I had two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, light-tan head before she exhaled & it all fell away to wisps. What a tease! Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44), allowing ZERO light penetration. I suddenly realized that she had slipped a blindfold over my eyes. Oooh. Nose smelled like she knew I was visiting and had coffee going in anticipation of my arrival. Dark, roasty, some chocolate & even a light smokiness greeted me. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, but since it was Glory's kiss, I found it in me to overlook this. The taste was of very bitter, black coffee which is how I prefer both my coffee and my Coffee Stouts, but it may be too much for some. Finish was dry, bitter, slightly smoky & lingering. I liked its intensity, especially coming on the heels of Wake-n-Bake, which was good, but not as good as this.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

11/01/13
Aroma us coffee, Dark chocolate, salt. Dark black color, thick, small tan head. Flavor is bittersweet chocolate, toasted malt. A good bitterness. Feel is not very lively, but the drinking is smooth. A nice stout.
09/18/15
Parallel tasting: 1 GD Espresso Yeti, 2. Lagunitas Capuccino Stout 3. Old Dominion Morning Glory 4. Southern tier Mokah

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Coffee 'black' with a large creamy head that dies off fairly shortly, and a slight bit of webby lace.

Smell is nutty, slightly bitter roasted coffee with cream and sugar and a hint of cocoa.

Taste is surprisingly rich with roasted coffee and dark malt with a good tang, some deep chocolate, and burnt brown sugar that actually adds a little bitterness.

Fully frothy with a little light fizz within, medium bodied, semi-dry.

Morning Glory Espresso Stout from Old Dominion Brewing Company