Hobo Life | Lord Hobo Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by ThatsThatDude on 02-15-2016

3.9

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

4.21/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%

3.74/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a 6er in Portland. Enjoyed the first couple. Review of a can from 6/28.
A-Poured into an imperial pint glass, a heady beast-4 fingers of big bubbled brilliant white head atop a very hazy, juicy looking yellowish golden beer.
S-Unmistakable citra. Quite aromatic and strong. Nice!
T-Passionfruit, and some resiny pine overtakes the tropical notes and turns bitter. More bitter than I like my citra beers. Assume this means it spent more time at a higher temp in the brew kettle to release more alpha acids vs. dry hopping.
M-High carbonation, lingering bitter finish.
O-Clearly the bitterness diminishes the taste, finish and drinkability for how I like my citra beers. Aroma is nice.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.85/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

Canned. Yellow hazy liquid with a white head.

Nose is citrus, pine, grapefruit.

Taste some caramel malt with a fruity hops side.

A very good session for sure!

3.94/5  rDev +1%

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.72/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

I am on a CANQuest (tm) for a little while to give myself a break from eradicating The Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody. I've been away for so long that it's good to be back.

From the CAN: "Citra"; "Session IPA".

I Crack!ed the CAN & began a gentle Glug into the awaiting glass. Other reviewers had mentioned "hazy" & "cloudy" & I wanted to see if I could do any better. Nope. An in-glass swirl raised just over a finger of foamy, soapy, off-whitehead with modest retention. Color was a cloudy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 -5 ). Nose was heavy with grapefruit, underlain by an unexpected mintiness. Mouthfeel was on the thin side, not watery, but not what I would call medium, either. It was a very pleasant drinking beer in that the grapefruit was not overwhelming and the mintiness imparted a coolness that was really refreshing. Finish was semi-dry, light for the AIPA style, which is why I think that Session IPAs should be counted separately. Still, the minty grapefruitiness hit the spot on a hot, humid summer's day.

4.29/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.99/5  rDev +2.3%

Hop bomb to the max! This is one of the best session ales I've ever had. Enjoyed this one from the moment it poured out. The color is a gorgeous yellow haze. The smell is a great Citra smell. The taste instantly ignites a Citra hop bomb in your mouth that is intense but pleasant at the same time. This is a great summer beer where you need that crazy hoppiness but not the high alcohol content. Very surprised with this one, one of my new favorites for sure!

4.79/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I'm rating this because I feel @87 its one of the more underrated sessions although as a group they seem to rate low. This is a real hop bomb(or boom haha) with little to no balance about it which I love. I want to say they're using something in addition to citra as its a different animal vs others but it could be they just keep throwing more buds in the kettle. Whatever it is its unique and kinda edgy for the class- not for everyone and probably not one I'd choose to have a lot of but this baby punches way above its weight class! Well done guys.

4.84/5  rDev +24.1%

I don't understand the low ratings on this? This is an increadible Session. My can is somewhat fresh being canned 4/14/17. Only 2 months old. I'm sure this helps a lot. Perfect head, citrus piney explosion on the nose, big resiny semi better taste that has that "light" Session feel. One of the best I've had of this style yet. I'm going to go stock up on this stuff while it's still available down here in Tampa.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%

I want to like it, I really do. But it kind of tastes like meat. Really, it's a little meaty. The hop profile is decent, citra heavy but nice. Just has an odd aftertaste.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.3/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hobo Life from Lord Hobo Brewing Company