Pyramid Hefeweizen | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Liked:
3.12/5
Alströms:

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Note: Served WITHOUT a lemon slice thank you very little...

Hazy amber body, thinnish white head. Falls off too quick, where's the love?

Nose is sweet and musty, not bad.

Flavor is sweet and yeasty, but one-dimensional. Where is all the complexity that I love in Hefeweizens? Clove? Banana? It's just not there.

Mouthfeel is thin and slick.

Drinkability is pretty good. Quenching and quaffable.

An entry-level Hefe. I know it's a huge seller on the West Coast, but give me a Weihenstephaner anytime.

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%

Done in A horizontal tasting with Widmer Hefeweizen, Breckenridge Agave Wheat, New Holland Zoomer, and Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat.

Eye: Golden in color and quite clear for a hefeweizen, not to mention a brewery that boasts unfiltered beers. Head is stable but small. As with all wheat beers I expect there to be a nice long lasting head with great retention.

Nose: This one also has a decent aroma, definitely more wheat character here, more bread and yeasty aromas as well. Very small hints of clove and perhaps banana as well, but in extremely small amounts, just enough to hint at banana bread. A bit of spiciness from hops.

Tongue: Sweet malt backbone, some slight banana flavor, again just a hint of it. Great malt flavor, nice wheat flavors meld with some yeast and malted barley to create something that is nice and refreshing. Crisp. Clean. Would really like some more hops though, some nice spice would really do this beer some good, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Crisp, clean and zesty on the palate. Light in body with a semi-dry finish. Carbonation is just right, it compliments the rest of the brew, dancing on the tongue giving a feeling of cleanliness as the beer leaves the mouth. I can see how this would be nice on a hot day, however, it is middle of the line, nothing outstanding. But I wouldn't turn it down if offered. Perhaps if they didn't have something I like better, such as Oberon, then I'd grab this from the store.

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a nice straw yellow without much head. The distribution of cloudiness through the glass makes it a good looker. This beer has only a light aroma of wheat. Taste was that of a mild wheat beer, with a tiny bit sweetness and lemon citrus. I'm missing some of the more interesting flavors of better wheat ales: pepper, bread, grapefruit. I could wish for more flavors, but it does go down quite easy. Good body and decent mouthfeel.

This is not the worst wheat beer out there, but there are enough better offerings that I won't seek this out again.

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%

I saw this at a local whole foods store, and decided I would give it a shot since I like wheat beers.

It poured a nice cloudy yellow/orangish color that looked good in my glass. The head stuck around, and left some lacing. It smelled of wheat, and smelled kind of sour too. The taste was of weak wheat with a little bit of banana thrown in. Mouthfeel was thing, but since it tasted great, I'll live with it. Drinkability would be better if it wasnt so expensive!

It's hard to enjoy micro's when you have a macro budget, but every once in a while I splurge.

If you happen to find some of this, I say give it a try. You might like it.

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured a light reddish orange into the snifter...

I was looking for bananas and ended up with not much at all...

Taste was easygoing...could tell this was a wheat beer...bit of tart tending towards navel...

Crisp...light...actually quite refreshing...

Easygoing and light...very drinkable in the heat of the night.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a clear pilsner flute

A: 2-3 inches of white head with plenty of stickiness. Hazy golden-peach hue with plenty of extra yeasties

S: A bit faint but with plenty of tangy wheat and summery fruit aromas including apricot and banana.

T: Nothing overwhelming but solid with light tangy wheat flavors mixed with soft apricot, banana, and pear flavors.

M: Smooth but a little short on heft. But compared to other American Pale Wheat Ales (like Sierra Nevada for example), this beer has plenty of flavor and body.

D: A bitbland but enough to suggest it as a decent change of pace light wheat ale.

2.7/5  rDev -13.5%

A- Dark cloudy gold. Looks very similar to unfiltered apple juice. White head, quickly dissipates leaving no lacing

S- Faint wheat and citrus

T- Yeasty. A small hint of citrus and some sweet malt flavor

M- Medium body. Carbonation seems light and is hard to see through the haze.

D- Goes down easily and is definitely drinkable. I have a feeling as this warms up it would not taste near as good as it does cold.

1.98/5  rDev -36.5%

This beer pours a hazy golden-orange color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into thin lacing for a wheat beer. The aroma has a hint of tangy wheat, but is very neutral and faint. The taste is like the aroma, but without the wheat. The mouthfeel is light bodied, with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this is a very bad American Pale Wheat Ale, and it is certainly not a Hefe. I will not drink this again.

3.05/5  rDev -2.2%

this is a pretty decent Hefe. not as good as those from europe but tasty enough. i poured this 2007 brewers reserve into my glass and got very thin head that dissappeared quickly. nice steady carbonation that tingles your mouth. very light lace. citrus smell an slight citrus taste. dry finish.

decent beer. suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is cloudy light amber/orange with a very thin head. Smell is a slight citrus sweet. Taste is sweet, citrusy, light spiciness, but has no true wiezen flavors that stand out. Mouthfeel is light - medium that feels viscous with minimal carbonation. Again it's just an American wheat made for Americans.

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from the bottle into Weizen glass. The beer is a cloudy golden caramel with a quickly dissapating head. The nose is uninteresting wheaty and slight citrus. The taste is is sweet, smooth, balanced but lacking in any real strong character. The mouthfeel contains the right amount of carbonation and makes the beer refreshing and it is a great beer to waste away a summer day after mowing the lawn.

2.87/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a bottle into a Schneider-Weisse branded weizen glass.

A - Hazy orange fades to yellow around edges. Foamy white head is a little small for the style, but still respectable with plenty of lacing.

S - Very weak citrus odor. Barely anything

T - Thin wheat flavor on intake becomes an orange and coriander flavor in mouth. Slight taste on swallow of adjunct wheats-- possibly corn. Not a bad flavor, overall, but just sort of bland.

M - Slightly thick and vaguely oily, but overall rather smooth. Something of a bite on the swallow.

This isn't a bad beer, but there are much better hefeweizens available.

3.62/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours an extremely cloudy yellow-orange color, with about a finger of light creamy head that doesn't leave a spot of lacing.

S- A strong smell of yeastiness combined with some fruitiness and just a touch of white bready malt. I really enjoy the power of the nose.

T- Most prominent is the yeast, which then gives way to some spice and malt. Through the sides and front of my tongue I later taste fruitiness- peach and sweet lemon. Good.

M- Light, not much to say about it.

D- I enjoyed the flavors of this beer, which had a large supply of yeastiness to give somewhat of a unique character. My one piece of advice is to drink it cold, b/c as my specimen warmed up the taste deteriorated, with hints of overripe fruit.

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a cloudy, golden-amber color with a foamy two finger head. Head disappeared rapidly and left a light lacing.

Smell: A little weak in this department. Smells grainy or earthy. Very faint citrus notes emerge (lemon and orange). Virtually no malt presence. Hops are noticeable but light.

Taste: Very grainy. Light citrusy sweet flavors spruce it up a bit. Perhaps a hint of caramel malt in there. Hops are very present, but do not add a bitter quality. Pretty straight forward.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied, somewhat crisp and refreshing. Carbonation is okay. It goes down easy and is relatively drinkable. It would definitely be moreso if it tasted better. But, I could take a few on a hot day. Overall, it's not bad, but far from exciting.

3.4/5  rDev +9%

This is a decently made Hefe'

A-Golden cloudy appearance, with a small head that dissapated quick to good lacing.

S-Not much smell in this Hefe' a weak citrus pokes through.

T,M- Sweet Hefe' taste in the front but weakens throughout to a weak finish. Medium body with good carb.

D- Its a good beer, refreshing and crisp.

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Short Version:
Drinkable but surprisingly low on flavor, body, and complexity.

Details:
Peering through 12 oz brown bottle held up to the light I see a fine layer of yeasty sediment at the bottom. There is just something I enjoy about an unfiltered beer.

Pours a cloudy fulvous color with a big sudsy 2 finger white-ish head. Bubble sizes are all over the map. The sediment that splashed through the cloud-layer at the last moment creates a ballerina swirl from top to bottom that reminds me of a Sangaria swirled margarita.

On the nose I'm not picking up much. I was expecting more. Possibly a little citrus oil. Some subdued earthy hop tones.

More disappointment on the taste as well. It's not so much disliking what's there... as it is disliking what's NOT there. What's there tastes OK. Goes down easy and is somewhat refreshing. It's just not very interesting, is surprisingly light, and doesn't have any of the qualities of a prototypical Hefeweizen that I look forward to.

There's a 'flat' quality to it. The body is on the light side of medium and there's a little bit of a citrusy tang. Not bitter though. Finish is smooth but dead and a bit dishwatery.

Not a big fan of this one. I remember having it on tap about 10 years ago with a taboo big lemon wedge in it. I'm sure in this case both changes would have been a much needed improvement.

3.1/5  rDev -0.6%

Cloudy orange pour with a very light smell of fruity wheatiness. Taste was nice and smooth, with maybe less than average carbonation. Very easy to drink, and friendly for beginners. Not bad, but not my favorite American Wheat as it lacked some of the hearty flavor of other wheats.

3.61/5  rDev +15.7%

Hardly any smell to it for me. Taste is muted, with citrus lemon, and background wheat flavors. Mouthfeel adequate, but not exceptional. Despite the fact that this is not extremely flavorful or wheaty, I found it to be incredibly refreshing. Maybe it was just because I was thirsty, but it was nice and drinkable. Maybe not comparable to finely crafted hefes, but it gets the job done.

This is one of those beers you always see and never get. I usually go with a more time-tested hefe. But because of ubiquitous nature I knew I had to try it eventually.
A - Orange and cloudy, one inch white head. Everything looks good.

S - OH NO! Wrong turn - dirty water with a zest of citrus.

T - decent Hefe flavors - wheat, citrus, coriander, but overall just weak.

MF - great mouthfeel, extremely quaffable

D - despite weak aroma and flavors, still fairly drinkable, but I just don't see myself ever ordering one

2.96/5  rDev -5.1%

A - Pours up a cloudy golden with a thick white head that dissipates slowly.

S - Smells of citrus hops.

T - No malt sweetness to speak of. Not bad, but not a hefeweiss. Hops finish waay in the back. No banana or clove notes.

M - Not too thin.

D - Not a bad beer. More of an ale than a hefeweiss. But if I want a Hefe, I won't be buying this.

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- The color is a perfect straw yellow. This the exact color that I want in my hefe weizen. While the color is perfect, the beer is not as carbonated as a hefe should be. The head was the same as most any other beer. I want a big carbonated head on my hefe.

S- Not my strong point, but a citrus (lemony?) smell to the beer. Very strong.

T- I can taste the citrus. However, since this a wheat beer, I want more wheat in my taste.

M- A buttery mouthfeel. It is good, but just doesn't make it.

D- A very drinkable beer. It leaves a very pleasant aftertaste.

My standard measuring stick for a hefe is Paulaner. I like the color on the Pyramid a little bit more. It is a great looking beer. There is a good citrusy smell and very drinkable. However, when I put against the standard, it comes up a little bit short. I like this beer and will drink it again. Although in some ways beer heresy, I do think having a slice of lemon (not in the beer, but on the glass) would bring out the taste and smell even more.

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

pours a really dark orange hazy color with a huge white head, smell is citrusy and yeasty. taste like it has an orange in it, very citrusy, of course i would never taint my beer by putting fruit in it, aftertaste has a tiny alcohol bite to it, but it is pleasant enough. gonna have to buy some of this stuff in the summer.

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a somewhat cloudy, pale orange-to-straw color. Almost has a pinkish hue in there as well. A thin, super white head seems to last and leaves some thick ribbons of lacing. Lots of bubbles from below.
Wheaty, some lemony citrus, with a slight banana nose.
Earthy wheat with a slight bit of citrus fruit. A slight touch of spicy hop bitterness in the back. A little tart/citrus after the finish.
Light boddied and well carbonated. Slightly creamy. Slightly dry finish.
Nothing spectacular here, but some alright lawn mower beer. It's actually quite drinkable. I'd still preffer a good Bavarian Heffe, but this one's probably an easy to find fix that would also work for entertaining the non Craft Beer lover.

3.29/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz picked up at the Coop for about $1.35.. poured into my smaller weizen glass.

Suprising 2" head that left only spotty lacing... hazy lite golden orange brew.

Smells of wheat and pale malts and only a touch of expected spiciness.

Flavor is pretty much the same with more sweetness and slightly pronounced spicy hops.. sorta grainy husky.. lite body and more than adequate carbonation.

In a nutshell.. I pretty much don't appreciate wheat beers... especially American wheats.. that being said, this is quite a bit better than Widmer.

I pretty much always have access to this brew, and pretty much never pick it up. I know alot of people can session this one for days, but not me.... even on a hot lawnmowing day, 1-2 at most. I am not going to pan it based on my tastes.. overall, off of memory only, Pyramid Hefe is my favorite American style wheat. Edit, this is definately my favorite American hefe.

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz. glass bottle- color of pale yellow, with a thick frothy white head - nose of yeast, crisp, light spice, sour light colored fruit, and flat – taste of yeast, light spice, light sour fruit, citrus and semi sweet - body is medium, acidic, and with high carbonation – aftertaste of yeast, some sweetness, light spice, acidic

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Beer rating: 11.1% out of 100 with 903 ratings