Pyramid Hefeweizen | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid HefeweizenPyramid Hefeweizen

Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Washington, United States

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-16-2001

Reviews: 439 | Ratings: 885
3.13/5  rDev +1.3%

I noticed this Hefeweizen gets a bad review by most drinkers of this style. I do not like this style to begin with. But now that I have tried it, here goes.

This is a cloudy uninviting colored ale. It pours okay with a moderate to weak head.

This is where I differ. The flavor for me is not bad. It is not too sweet or too fruity. The main reason I have not enjoyed hefeweizens before. I won't be buying this beer on a regular basis(or at all unless the lady of the manor requests) but as for hefeweizens are concerned. Not bad as far as a hop head is concerned.

If you dig hefeweizens don't go for it. It may not be fruity enough. If you are on the edge give it a try. Not too fruity. Not too placid. Just my opinion.

1.87/5  rDev -39.5%

Brewed with 2-row Barley, Malted wheat, and Caramel malt. Hopped with Liberty.

OG=1.051, 5.2% ABV.

Quite cloudy, apricot in color, forming a very light beige head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is very faint with no bananas or cloves to speak of..just "Macro Tang"..AKA adjuncts. Taste is dull, starting with weak, lemony flavor hops, a boatload of adjuncts, a potent burn of alcohol. This is not a good beer, and a horrible Hefe-Weizen. Carbonation is mild, with a smooth mouthfeel and medium-thin body. The finish is watery, like drinking the pressings from a can of corn.

I agree with Stopper, this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country. I saw Pyramid being sold all over the place on my trip throughout the West Coast. I thought that I may visit the brewery when I was out in Seattle...that was until I tasted this utter garbage. This beer sucks.

2.14/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle. I'm a big fan of Hefe-Weizen. But was sorely disappointed. Other than the appearance it is nothing like it is suppose to. Pours a cloudy golden color, with a fairly good head, that quickly receded. No real lacing on the glass. No real disernable aromas, just a blending of smells. taste was weak and bland. I could barly finish it.

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

This wasn’t the greatest hefeweizen that I’ve had, but is wasn’t’ the worst. It pours a cloudy golden/straw yellow color. A fluffy white head presents itself pouring with good retention, leaving a sticky lace on the glass. Aromas of bananas, lemon zests, and clove were very noticeable. I detected a slight crisp tartness of citrus upon the first taste, followed by a subtle spiciness of cloves, finishing off with some yeasty bread undertones. This is a very average brew, I could take it or leave it.

1.72/5  rDev -44.3%

I recently managed to get complementary pint of this at a low-traffic airport lounge. I was disappointed that the glass I got was actually much smaller than a pint, but then realized I wasn't as disappointed about the size of the serving as I thought I would be...

I definitely love a good hefeweizen, especially after a couple trips to Germany, and this is the worst representation of the style I have ever tasted in any country.

It looked very authentic, a very cloudy white/yellow, and I was hoping for good things. As I approached it, I was surprised to find little identifiable aroma. Hoping to find what was missing in the nose waiting in the body, I dove in, and the best description I could decide on for the flavor I was tasting was "weak Heineken"! It had none of the distinctive spicey, clovey, banana-ey flavors normally expected from a good Hefeweizen, and it wasn't even very like an american wheat beer. This was the first brew I have tried from Pyramid, and I'm not excited to try another anytime soon. My only hope is that they didn't truly do such a poor job of brewing this beer, but that it was just poorly treated at the bar.

4.42/5  rDev +43%

Unfiltered dark golden with a nice off-white head. Grainy aroma dominates with light fruity notes. Grainy, fruity and yeasty flavor. Light-medium bodied and refreshing fruitiness for a wheat beer.

Very nicely balanced American Wheat ! Always seem to prefer the bottled version of this over the draft versions I have had ... not sure why.

Per Pyramid Website:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Alcohol By Volume: 5.20%
Malts: 2-Row Barley, Malted Wheat, Caramel
Hops: Liberty

Enjoy by: 06/19/03
Tasted: 05/31/03

($7.47 / 6-pack) ($1.25 / 12 oz.)

3.36/5  rDev +8.7%

Deep orange opaque color. Medium white head, wait, where did the head go?. Surprisingly high hops for a wheat, but all things considered not all that hoppy.

Lightly citrus but of a deep dark orange. This must have a relatively low amount of wheat, versus barley. This is a pleasant brew, but lacks excitement. The flavor do not stand out otherwise.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%

Pyramid Hefe, the second name in American Hefeweizen. Beer pours a turgid orange. Beers is hazy and after the head falls flat there's a feeling that this is a dirty swampy beer.

The aroma is lightly hoppy and dominated by sweet wheat aroma. The flavor starts with a citrus sweetness that quickly grows into sharp lemony bite.

Overall a disappointing beer that can't quite get beyond the swampy appearance and generally lifeless flavor.

2.7/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours a dark copper color, thin head, tiny strings of carbonation. Some citrus and wheat can be detected on the nose. Up front, very tangy and somewhat sour, some light wheat and hops are detected, rather creamy throughout, even some grassy notes, seems out of whack, lacks good hefe-qualities. Barely average.

2.41/5  rDev -22%

Ok so I'm at this local pub by my house which is a pretty nice place to a get a brew and some food. I had been drinking a pretty decent amount and had been eyeing this glass of beer next to me some guy had been drinking that looked like a hefe. So the bar tender says "i'll comp you a beer what do you want". I ask what hefe's they have, and low and behold it is Pyramid on tap. Never had it so i got one, what the heck, this place serves Chimay, Samuel Smith's and Stone so this cant be too bad, and of course i turned down the slice of lemon offer. First off I noticed it wasn't all that cloudy and had more of an amber color than
I had expected, it was also mouth numbingly cold. No head whatsoever, no smell really either. First taste...I dont know, but basically it tasted like a budweisser. Really weak with not one bit of the beloved wheat/clove/fruitiness I have grown to love. The mouthfeel was suprisingly good, lots of carbonation, light and crisp and when swallowed left my mouth a little dry. The drinkability is pretty good due to the fact it is a light and refreshing beer and on a hot summer day or after a hard day at work I wouldn't mind. But when I go to a pub I go for beer I can thoroughly anjoy and marvel at it's taste. So I apologize for not having all that much to say, I guess I was just very un-impressed. It's a mediocre beer brimming with macro taste. (not a great thing) no buneo amigo.

3.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Color is a hazy/cloudy yellow gold with a small white foam head about a finger high, faded quickly, leaving some lacing. Smell is lightly lemony and grainy, sweet with some wheat and yeast notes. Taste is grainy wheat and twisted with lemon citrus, a bit tame yeast and malt with a touch of lime or orange peel, all very soft, calm, and easy. Feel is lighter medium bodied with some tart action thats not to bad, a bit uneven and rough. It's a drinkable hefe, not bad, not great, just above average. I'd have one if offered.

2.88/5  rDev -6.8%

A very average beer that is less flavorable than many others of this style; for me that is necessarily a bad thing, i.e., if it is less wheat-like. Cloudy yellow body with a small white head and minimal lacing. A bit thin and watery mouthfeel. The nose is of malt and grain. There is some thin sweetness and a small sense of spiciness in the taste. This is OK if up against macro brews.

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%

Attractive hazy golden yellow color. Topped with a finger's worth of white head that dissipates almost immediately with minimal lacing. Light grain smell with some syrupy sweetness present as well. Disappointing taste for a wheat beer--closer to skunkiness than to clean grain flavors. Malty sweetness toward the beginning gives way to a crispness that is as much a function of the mouthfeel as the taste. Yeast was MIA. This isn't a bad beer overall, but there are a lot better choices in this style.

2.9/5  rDev -6.1%

On-tap at Brew's Cafe in Granville, Ohio.

Appearance: Cloudy golden-yellow color. Adequate frothy white head with impressive lacing of the glass.

Smell: Dominated by the lemon wedge. A very non-hefewizen-like aroma (grainy) that surprised me. None of the fruity smells I expected.

Taste: Very grainy ("macro") flavor. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Hmm.....thin? It was crisp and fairly dry as well.

Drinkability: Blah. It didn't really keep me interested and was a poor choice, given the other impressive beers on tap that were available. Won't be seeking this one out again.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer pours a murky yellow/tan with a massive fluffy white head. The aroma of a lemon twang, light wheat, and faint yeast notes. The taste mirrors the aroma along with some spicy notes and a tart finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and drinks down fair. Decent at best. I tad bland for a hefe. Cheers!

3.73/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance: Muddy yellow brown in color - I should note that I swirled the bottle before pouring out the remainder. The head is off-white, reasonably thick and retains well; there is quite a bit of broken lace and substantial carbonation.

Aroma: The aroma seems quite understated; there is little of the ripe-bananas-and-cloves nose typically associated with the Hefeweizen style. Citrus notes dominate the aroma along with yeast and bread aromas - more like wheat beer with a twist of lemon.

Taste: Tasting yields an abundance of champagne-like carbonation, tart wheat flavors, and tangy citrus flavors that seem most like lime. Finish is clean and dry with lingering lime notes.

Mouth feel: A bit thin with slightly stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An offbeat, but very refreshing wheat beer and one I would buy again.

Presentation: Packaged in a short twelve-ounce glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

2.97/5  rDev -3.9%

I think one of the most bland wheat beers I have ever had.It was kind of an orangy color,is it filtered?Small head for style,smelled a citruisy but not much.Taste was a little smokey was better when I added some lemon.Doesnt semm like much is put into making this,wont have again for sure.

2.01/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: This was a hazy, straw colored beer. The head was tiny and disappeared instantly, just like a soda. There was no trace of it left at all.

Smell: A very mild aroma. There were some grains and some malt, combined with a slight citrus bite.

Mouthfeel: Thin bodied and rough.

Taste: Very unimpressive. It tasted a lot like a macro to me, like there were adjuncts in it. There is a hint of tartness in the flavor, as well as a sweetness on the finish.

This tasted like a macro with a hint of lemon. Never again.

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%

Bought this beer in the 12 oz. brown bottle, with the usual Pyramid Brewery design label.
Appearance: Nice dark yellow, cloudy with a large foamy white head..carbonation looks attractive.
I smell some sourness, though not strong, fresh hay comes to mind, though there is no great amount of aroma at all!
Pretty clean cut taste , I taste a fresh bread, doughy flavour..some slight acidity leaves a small amount of hoppy bitterness near the end.
This beer feels too carbonated for my personal tastes, very "thin" in the mouth..OK but not good.
A pretty easy to drink beer for a nice hot July day, but theres a lot of beer that can do that same thing!

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer was served a bright golden and very cloudy. The head was okay but not outstanding. The fruity esters were present but not overpowering ( I like them strong) The taste was pleasant but again the fruitiness was not dominate. The beer's mouthfeel was light and not something to remember. Overall, I would recommend this beer as an introduction to the style. It was a good beer but not great.

3.91/5  rDev +26.5%

This beer was my introduction to Hefewiezens and I havn't turned back. Very cloudy golden orange in color with a white head that doesn't stick around very long. Sweet citrus aroma, almost lemony. All I can say about the taste is, smooth. Sweet, citrusy with a hint of hops but not much. Great mouth feel and I have gone many parties on this alone. I would say that is is Pyramid's Flagship Brew. Not sure of availability beyond the west coast but if you like hefe's you should try it.

Part of a gift pack,cloudy hazy yellow color, with a small white head.Stale bannana-clove aroma, wheaty, yeasty flavors, very light in body, somewhat watery, has kind of a sour after taste, not bad average for an American Wheat.

3.97/5  rDev +28.5%

Crisp, wheaty head. Hazy, deep orange color. Bold, fresh, floral and fruit notes: honey, citrus, lemon zest. Little hop intrusion, but some bitterness lies on the palate. Solid, chewy texture. Hops re-emerge, flood the mouth, dance around the teeth and gums. Beautifully refreshing! To the crap lager drinkers of the world, I wish a taste of this fine ale, to shatter their beer worldview, and , if Heaven permits, rebuild it!

2.07/5  rDev -33%

I didn’t think too highly of this and have definitely had better American wheat beers. It pours a nice orange color with a decent white head that quickly dissipates. Not much aroma at all. The taste was very bland—I ended up throwing a lemon wedge in just to give it some taste!

2.41/5  rDev -22%

Pyramid calls it a Hefeweizen and if I were to rate this as one, well, it would get murdered. The bad news for this beer, comparing it to an American Wheat won’t save it much...

A hard pour (with a swirl at the end) produced a massive white head gracing a slightly hazy honey-golden hue. Good retention, some lace. The nose is lousy… dull wheat malt and nothing else (maybe a trace hint of corn grit/grain). The palate has a slightly toasty wheat influence… no further development (maybe a trace hint of caramelized grain). Lacks Bavarian Wheat qualities, hell it lacks American Wheat qualities. Boring. Smooth mouthfeel, almost no carbonation, thin… slick and easy to drink (not all that enjoyable however). It is a sub-par Wheat beer… and very average overall; it’s a thirst quencher and little else.

Pyramid Hefeweizen from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.