1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Pyramid Apricot Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,111 |  Reviews: 482
Reviews by Bang34:
3.06/5  rDev -10.8%

Living in Berkeley for the past 4.5 years, you cannot avoid trying a Pyramid brand beer. This is what I call a Chick Beer because those are the folks you usually see drinking it, them and the folks who drink Smirnoff Ice.. The color is a nice amber and looks good in a glass. The aroma is overpowered by the apricots, not much else there. The same can be said for the taste. A little too sweet for me, almost wine-like in taste. Pretty much what you taste is the apricot. Good thing to try but only if it is free at a party. It is good but I won't ever spend money on it. If you have a lot of non beer drinking girls coming to your party you should serve it up, they should like it, but keep the "real beer" for yourself.

Pyramid Apricot Ale brewed by Pyramid Breweries, Inc.. with an ABV of 5.10% This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a nice white head. This is an unfiltered brew, you can not see though it. The smell of Pyramid Apricot Ale is sweet with grains , and malts. This is a real inviting brew, I like the smell of this brew. Now for the taste it , rich with sweetness. There is a lot going on in this brew. You pick up grains, and malts. Pyramid Apricot Ale has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth , and rich. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. Overall I'm giving Pyramid Apricot Ale a 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Pyramid Breweries, Inc. did a nice job with this one.

4.39/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Has a great nose of apricot and tangerine. Tastes follows nose. Orange-gold & nice lacing. It's malty but not a heavy ale. My only complaint is the lack of hops. But this has a bold taste and is a very good summer offering. If you like shandies, but also like beer, this is a terrific blend of malt and fruit. Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My girlfriend's sister told me she had an apricot ale on her boat, so I asked for one. I was given this. Having not had a Pyramid beer before, I didn't know what to expect... though I've tended to read that Pyramid is relatively mediocre. Let's get going.

I had this straight from the bottle, so I'm sorry beer nerds if my "incorrect" way of drinking offends you.

Basically, it's a nice beer. A nice wheat beer with apricot added without tasting like fruit juice or like fifteen sugar packets were added. I drank the bottle within maybe ten minutes because it was tasting so good in the sun. Looking at it objectively though, this beer is what it is. It won't blow you away, especially if you're sitting in your home watching TV or inside at a bar. Like most fruit beers, enjoy it in the sun for the best experience.

Try it if you find it, it's a good one.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I like apricot nectar for making an especially scrumptious fuzzy navel drink...

Poured from the stubby into a shaker. A pretty hard pour produces about an inch of froth. The beer is a slightly hazy amber-golden with moderate carbonation.

Strong apricot on the nose, continuing into the flavor proper, with a hint also of orange and lemon. An earthy hop bitterness suggests an apricot stone.

I don't like drinking more than one of these at a time, but it's a decent enough beer. The apricot flavor doesn't taste contrived and the residual sweetness is more apparent than real. I could see this as a refreshing hot weather beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clouded yellow gold, left a minimal head that dissipated quickly.

Smells very much like apricot.

Tastes like apricot, some tartness to the flavor, which is reminiscent of cactus pear fruit.
No complexity, but doesn't take away from it at all, a refreshing offering.

Light bodied, crisp, moderate carbonation, easy to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%

Nearly no head and what's there fades very quickly. No lace whatsoever. Cloudy liquid with a dirty gold color.

Sweet, almost candylike, smell of dried apricots.

The taste is like the smell...too much so. The high sugar levels make the liquid thicker. The carbonation cannot overcome the cloyingly sweet flavors. The aftertaste is like peach cobbler. Not my style.

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Very cloudy yellow...poured a big white head...no lacing to speak of

S - Wonderful smell of...you got it...apricots

T - The apricot dominates your palate...has a slight wheat flavor towards the end

M - Light...crisp...carbonated

D - This would be the perfect brew to be sipping on in the summer...it's pretty one dimensional...but I like it

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

3.74/5  rDev +9%

On tap at 1899 Pub in Willoughby, Oh poured into pint glass

a: deep straw color, looks unfiltered. Frothy head with no head retention, very little lacing

s: apricot aroma dominates

t: Apricot flavor dominates

m&d: light mouthfeel with a clean finish. It seems to dry my mouth out after a few but one I could throw back all day

Cheers

2.53/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this brew from a 12oz bottle in a pilz glass and observed only a bit of lead that left then scene quickly and left no ring. Color is a slightly hazy copper. Aroma is all apricot. There could be a bit of hops or maltiness there but you really have to sniff hard. Taste, well is just like the nose. This really isn't for me and It's tough to judge objectively when that occurs. It would be better if the fruit flavor was about a third of what it is and let the other "beer" flavors come out. This particular bottle poured almost flat, so I'll have to try the other 5 to be sure.

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

3.24/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear, dark gold with a foamy white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves no lace. The best part of this beer is the smell... about as close as you can get to fresh, ripe apricots. The taste is also dominated by apricot flavor, but it's surprisingly not as sweet as expected. Wheat and malt flavors are also there, but the apricot is dominant. Minimally hopped. Slight sour aftertaste. I'd recommend that anybody try this beer at least once. It's a nice novelty. But, I don't think it will be one of my regulars!

3.83/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured a cloudy gold hue with about a half a finger of cream head that fizzled rather quickly. Strong odor of Apricot and a strong taste of Apricot.

Something I would consider a closer beer and I enjoyed this beer with a Rothschild cigar by Arturo Fuente. Also followed it up with some Hookah with molases tobacco.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Hazy peach body with a thin yellowish head. Nose is bursting with apricots. Wow this thing is an apricot bomb. Thin crisp and light body. Some grainy husk flavors lie below the apricot. Apricot presence huge throughout. Drinks more like an apricot cider than a beer though. Cool and refreshing and beats out magic hat #9 for sure. Some spicy orange rind flavors give some balance on the finish but its a sweet beer. Not cloying though.

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An exceptionally turbid wheat beer of apricot color with a modest smattering of suds and profuse apricot nose. The aroma is far more than I expected and causes me to wonder whether it can be sourced exclusively to real fruit. A bowl of fresh apricots in front of your face would hardly smell more like fresh apricot than this beer does. Is the fragrance artificially enhanced? Don't know, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

The taste is almost of an apricot spritzer. The "beer" of it is fairly weak and the weizen element is all but obscured. Despite this I'm compelled to acknowledge the somewhat embarrassing truth that I enjoy this fruity beer. It's too thin in the body, but the flavor is deserving and the fragrance is charmed. I wouldn't want to drink it every day, and I don't know how it found me in winter. (It's anything but a winter beer.) But Pyramid's effort is worthy of the concept of an apricot weizen, should that concept mean anything to you.

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%

My bottle has a different label and just says Pyramid Apricot Ale. According to beeradvocate, it's just an alias of this one.

Appearance - Pours a hazy, yellow-orange color with a centimeter thick frothy head. Dissipates very quickly. Leaves a nice lacing.

Smell - The apricot overpowers anything else that's there. I think I can smell some undertones of butter and malt.

Taste - I'm honestly not much of a fan of apricots. It's the most dominant flavor but it's not overbearing. They blended the ingredients well. I love the pale malts in it, it's not so bitter with the apricot. The buttery flavor comes through as well..

Mouthfeel - Light-medium body with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall - I'll give this a good rating because they made the beer well, although I would not drink on this. Way too sweet..

2.63/5  rDev -23.3%

This poured out to a pale gold with hits of copper and orange. It had a big head that faded fairly quickly. The lacing is mild and plain.

This smells decent but tastes far to fruity and acidic. It gets fairly bad as it warms. It was much better while colder, but it was still poorly balanced.

I probably couldn't drink too many of these in one sitting.

4.39/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This was my first fruit beer and it has remained delicious all these years

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.43 out of 5 with 1,111 ratings