Pyramid Apricot Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Washington, United States
pyramidbrew.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Originally named Apricot Weizen

Added by Brent on 08-13-2001

Reviews: 474 | Ratings: 1,086

Apricot colored with a nice white head and good carbonation. Huge fruity apricot aroma. NIce fruity taste with strong, pleasant fruit character compared to many other fruit beers. No unpleasant essence-like aroma or flavors. Light bodied, smooth and refreshing.

If it looks like an apricot, smells like.... Probably the best non-lambic fruit beer I've tried.

Label states "Apricot Flavored Ale" & "Golden Wheat Beer"

Enjoy By: 03/06/03 Tasted: 01/25/03

$1.49/12 oz single

4.97/5  rDev +44.5%

Even better since it got it's new name, "Audacious Apricot Ale."

...But in all seriousness, one of the most underrated of the category, and most surprisingly enjoyable. Time after time, when it's on tap at festivals/events along with the other 3 styles Pyramid contributes to the tent, this one always has the longest line and is so worth the wait. And, I hear they use the same delicious and all natural essence of apricot as those cooky, crafty Magic Hat brewers....right on.

4.92/5  rDev +43%

Great unfiltered light amber beer. Pours with a very little foam and light wisps of lacing. Has a wonderful apricot taste. It is a little fruity not overwelming but excellent reserves of taste. Very little hop taste its the malt that makes this beer a excellent tasting sitting around enjoyable beer.

4.84/5  rDev +40.7%

Very nice apricot aroma - like fresh juice had been added to the ale. The fruit element is well balanced, lending a softly sweet, fruity note without taking on the candy/soda pop sweetness I seem to find in most fruit flavored ales. A good choice as a pre-meal drink.

4.8/5  rDev +39.5%

Awesome drink. Buddy and I were at a bar in DC and I saw this as one of the selections , and told him we had to try it. Were both glad we did , it was everything I wasnt expecting , and so much more. And to think I just wanted to try it for the sake of just wanting something out of ordinary and new.

4.64/5  rDev +34.9%

If you like apricots you will love this brew as it has the most intense taste in that department I have ever encountered. Smell is strong of appricot as is the taste although it does kind of end a bit lighter then I would have hoped, in fact almost watery but the first contact with the tongue is sweet appricot, it goes down with no struggle.

4.62/5  rDev +34.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I first had this beer when one of my nephews and I did a tasting of about 14 beers. It was the only one we both liked. I loved it and he said "this would be great on a hot day" (which, in NC, is common).

This beer looks beautiful. It's sudsy and peachy colored. In a sense, it doesn't look real. It looks like a high dollar TV ad that has been heavily doctored up.

The taste is great. It's as peachy as it is apricot...y(?). And, as my nephew suggested, it is exactly the type of beer you'd want to drink 12-15 of on a beautiful summer day after frolicking in the outdoors.

For some, it might get too peachy after a while. It also might be a little too carbonated for some (it feels a little like Mountain Dew, at times). It's really purely subjective if either is too much, or just right for you.

4.6/5  rDev +33.7%

Poured a nice orange color and somewhat cloudy. Not much head but the high carbonation kept the bubbles coming. The smell is impressive, nothing like I've ever smelled in a beer before, somewhat sweet aroma. The taste is exceptional. You can taste the sweet apricot flavor allthough not as strong as you'd expect in an ale. The mouthfeel is just as good as the taste, if not better. You're left with the nice sweet apricot flavor after each sip. This is a great beer, now one of my favorites. I will definately have this again soon.

4.54/5  rDev +32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It's rare to find a beer this good. Wow, damn,....gnarly... this beer is both refreshing and nourishing feeling. It's got a lively moderate freshness feel. Chatoe Rogue Single Malt Ale is the toppermost of the poppermost, but Pyramid Apricot Ale is its slightly mellower Apricot cousin,... and it's superbly balanced, not too sweet, not too bitter, but lively and fresh. Btw, the bottle and six pack just labels it as 'Pyramid Apricot Ale' unfiltered wheat ale. No mention of 'Audacious' is listed.

4.53/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably the best wheat beer in the USA in my opinion. Should be rated higher on BA than it is. It is fantastically balanced and smooth. Like Sculpin Grapefruit by Ballast Point, it has achieved the perfect blend of fruit and beer. Not too sweet and a perfect essence of the fruit it is portraying without making you forget it is a beer and complimenting the beers overall flavor.....The malt and mouthfeel are second to none for a wheat beer. It is a style that is a love it or hate it one, but you cannot deny it's refreshing nature and pure unfiltered wheat beer goodness. I find it utterly shocking the bros have Blue Moon rated higher than this. It may not be a 99 or 100 beer....but it should be low 90s or high 80s for sure. It is not quite what some of the german wheats/belgian spiced whites on the top end are, but it is damn close and in some ways more drinkable.
Look-Cloudy and unfiltered with an orange tint.
Smell-Dried Apricots for days and malt. Wheat.
Taste-Perfect balance of malt and hefe with sour and bitter apricot notes and citrus.
Feel-About as good as mouthfeel gets. Smooth and refreshing.

4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellowish color. Thin layer of foam for a head, no real lacing to be seen on my glass.

Smell: Wonderful. There's an aroma of apricots which is not overpowering and not too sweet, there's also a yeasty/bready smell to this which isn't being drowned out by the fruit. This, IMHO, is how a fruit beer should smell.

Taste: The apricot is so well balanced it not only tastes good, but it seems to enhance the underlying wheat beer flavor. Not a lot of hops to be found in the taste, this beer has almost zero bitterness. The sweetness of the fruit is very subdued.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation and flavors mingle very well on the palate. Alcohol is not really noticeable.

Drinkability: Unbelievably good beer. This is a beer that could dethrone my beloved SA cherry wheat as my fave fruit beer. This beer seems to have it all, good fruit taste that isn't just a sugar coated syrup taste, a nice "beer" flavor that is complemented by the fruitiness. Wow.

4.47/5  rDev +29.9%

A- Pours a orangy color with a thick fluffy pure white head. Nice and cloudy like an unfiltered should be. Nice and chunky.

S - Holy Apricot! Strong apricot smell up front. Biscuity with fruit, smells kind of like a lemon Oreo cookie.

T - Apricot up front, followed by apricot, with a strong apricot finish. Actually, it has a nice balance of fruit to wheat, with a faint alcohol wisp after swallowing.

M - If you swirl the bottle to get all the good bits, this is superbly chewy.

D - I could drink these all day ling sitting in my Adirondack chair on my back porch looking out into the foothills. A great Summer beer.

4.45/5  rDev +29.4%

One of my new favorite beers.

I had never even tasted apricot before, but its amazing.
I love this beer, its so refreshing. But I can imagine it would be perfect any season.

I really like the fruit flavor, it doesn't taste fake/artificial/tart like many other fruit beers. There is a little bit of a sprakling taste that I could do without, but its still a great beer.

Try it!

4.45/5  rDev +29.4%

As far as fruit beers go, this is tremendous. The smell is strongly of sugar and apercot, not much more there. The taste is simply the same thing, just sugar and apercots... the mouthfeel is almost like you are biting into the fruit itself. They must have a special way of harnessing the taste. Great for summer!

4.45/5  rDev +29.4%

Color is nice and orangey amber with very little head. Hmmm, smells like apricot. Has a good strong hop aroma as well as tangy.
The taste of this beer is so interesting with a great blend of sweetness and hops. Its hard to figure how long it must of took to get the recipe so balanced. I love the apricot feel on the tongue, like eating an apricot or pear. Gets tiny little bumps of almost fuzz like things covering your tongue. Very interesting. Very crisp, smooth, and a hoppy aftertaste that fights with the apricot, but in a good way. This a very good, interesting beer, I recommend it if you like any other kind of fruit beers. But if you don't like apricots or pears its best you don't try it. But who doesn't like those?

4.44/5  rDev +29.1%

I'm reviewing this beer a second time. The earlier review is posted below. The numerical scores above reflect today's review.

Today's review (Sept. 12, 2012):

Seeing this beer in its new bottle (The brewery has gone back to the old name "Pyramid Apricot Ale", and a more classy bottle label design) made me want to try this old favorite again.

It may be my imagination, but I think this beer has improved a little since my previous review in 2007.

It pours an attractive orange/gold color with a very slight head.

The aroma is incredible. Tons and tons of apricots. Very sweet with a little bit of citrus.

Flavor --- again apricots are dominant. If you like apricots, then you will like this beer. If you don't, I would avoid it. The best way I know to describe this beer is that it is very close in flavor to an apricot nectar but with carbonation and a little bit of malt in the background. Very sweet at first but it finishes slightly dryer (but still pretty sweet). Maybe a tiny bit of hops in the finish but they are faint.

Medium mouthfeel with a slight oily feel on the tongue.

Overall, this is one of the summer fruit beers around. It is its own thing (it is hard to compare with a non-fruit beer), but if you like fruit beers, this one is worth buying.

Original review dated: (April 22, 2007):

AP: 3.5 AR 4.0 F 4.5 MF 4.0 D 4.0
I have many good memories of drinking this on hot summer days while sitting on the roof of the house I lived in the summer of 2000.

But does the beer measure up to the memories?

Kinda.

Pleasant aroma. Tons of apricot flavor with just a bit of nicely matched wheat malts. Nice mouthfeel with a strong surge of carbonation. Pretty sweet but not overpowering.

Not much complexity. Not a bad fruit beer but it is definitely not in the same caqtegory as a belgian lambic.

Great summer session beer.

4.42/5  rDev +28.5%

went ahead and put this in my mix n match 6 pack for a change of pace
short chbby bottle, lager color with a slight haze
yep thats apricot beer
wow, what a fresh clean delicious beer, kinda. i have to admit my masculine side does not like the sound of a fruity beer but dammit it tastes good. the apricot is perfect, not too strong but clearly present. it is a beer technically but if you had told me it was a welches sparkling wine thing i wouldn't have doubted it. nevertheless i really enjoyed it and will get more.
naturally my wife really liked it too

4.39/5  rDev +27.6%

Light golden amber color, thin head that dwindles down. Very cloudy, unfiltered [I'm all about unfiltered!] Some lace that thinly slips down the glass. Great apricot aroma [especially if you like apricots]. Very drinkable on a hot sweaty summer afternoon.
But maybe not for someone who doesn't like apricots.

4.39/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Has a great nose of apricot and tangerine. Tastes follows nose. Orange-gold & nice lacing. It's malty but not a heavy ale. My only complaint is the lack of hops. But this has a bold taste and is a very good summer offering. If you like shandies, but also like beer, this is a terrific blend of malt and fruit. Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev +26.2%

I'll give it the best review I can; my grandma is an strict christian who I, or my mom, have never seen drink or smoke, I brought one of these home, she asked to try it and asked me to go back and get the 6pack.
Really though, it balances the apricot taste with the alcohol content very nicely I would highly recommend if it's in your area.

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

Refreshing!

This beer poared very nice. Frothy 2 finger head with a cloudy orangish brown in color. Very hazzy but clears up as it settles. Agitating the beer will resolve its original haze.

Smells great, floral, peachy and citric smells, very sweet.

Tastes Great! Certainly Apricot tastes. Floral spices still the hops pull thru on the back of the taste.

Mouthfeel is nice, crisp refreshing and a slight bitter/sweet lingers after you swallow (No comments)

Drinkability I would say is high. Feels light on the way down, smooth, pretty light & Very refreshing. This is what I call a Hot day Beer!

4.29/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pyramid Apricot Ale - Pyramid Breweries, Inc. Poured from the bottle into a weizen glass, this brew's head is three fingers thick with spotty lacing, and a hazy golden body.

Smells like a nice blend of bright, earthy-er grains and a fair touch of the added apricot included with this product.

I taste a crisp mixture of the grains described above that have an extremely clean finish. Nearly TOO clean. The fruit tastes comes into play mid-palate and stays for the remainder of the swig.

This mouthfeel here is refreshingly clean and crisp. This is one of the most quenching beers I've experienced in recent memory. Fantastic job here!

Overall, I'll give Pyramid Apricot Ale - Pyramid Breweries, Inc. a 4.25. I wish I'd only discovered this a while ago.

4.29/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured with a fragile and transient head, as carbonated beers often do. The beer has a cloudy amber color not unlike apricots.

S: A strong apricot aroma, with a background smell of yeast.

T: The apricot really comes through (in a wonderfully refreshing way) the moment this touches your tongue, followed up by a more traditional wheat-beer aftertaste. I really enjoyed the flavor of this beer, which almost tasted like cider, except for the lovely yeast flavors and a bitterness buffering the sweet in the background.

M: This beer has a slightly creamy consistency that lingers after you swallow, surely due in part to its being unfiltered. Could, perhaps, have used a tad more carbonation in this one.

D: With it's rather low carbonation, I found this beer to be highly drinkable, and had drunk two and was considering another when I realized I may ruin my dinner appetite.

4.28/5  rDev +24.4%

Served up in a stubby pilsner and poured a golden wheat color with heavy carbination. Very light head reduced to a light ring. Heavy fresh apricot scent- WOW! Tastes of frest fruits and of apricot nectar, but not too sweet. The flavor stays with you. Yeah, it is kind of girly sounding and may scare of alot of the guys, but if you buck up and try it, you may find that you actually like it. If you are one for the fruit beers it could work as a nice session beer.

4.28/5  rDev +24.4%

12oz bottle, no freshness date, poured into pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a nice one inch off white head the fades into a thickish .25 inch creamy cap.

S: Big apricot amoma (duh) very floral, almost as if I am smelling the rind of a fresh apricot, this aspect is executed quite nicely. With some agitation a faint odor of yeast can be extracted. I wish I could extract more from this beer.

T/MF: I am very pleased with the taste of this beer. The smell was quite deceptive and was happily suprised by the beer's taste. One the pallate, the carbonation bubbles aggresivly from the front of the tongue to the back and on the roof of the mouth as well. As the beer warms in my mouth the carbonation fades and makes room for the juicy apricot flavors coupled with a nice and creamy wheat presence and leaves a nice buttery aftertaste.

D: While it is not as complex as other beers I've tried I am not affraid to admit that that does not matter so much for this beer. It's label says Apricot Weizen and delievers that promise. Very good beer that I would recomend to everyone. Also I could see this beer as a nice stepping stone for someone who is looking to get craft brews.

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.