Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pyramid Apricot Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

Originally named Apricot Weizen

Added by Brent on 08-13-2001

Ratings: 1,105 |  Reviews: 480
3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.91/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I've had this one on tap before but it's been so long that I deleted my initial 100 character review and am typing up a new one.

A : The appearance here is a thing of beauty. I'm serving this to myself in a tall Weizen glass, and the body is the color of dried apricots. It's glowing, and is roughly 80% opaque. The head is humongous at four fingers, off-white, and tremendously bubbly. It recedes slowly and stays around. This is one beautiful looking brew.

S : Some clean water, sticky apricot candy, and a waft of wheat underneath. A faint bite of hop also accompanies the nose.

T : The taste is slightly off with a bit of seltzer and adjunct, but the apricot is there and the wheat is also there (though somewhat moldy). It ends with a little pinch of hop mixed with apricot. There is some sort of off-zing with this beer, I can't put my finger on it, but it's moldy, zingy, and off-balance.

F : This is a great mouth for a beer. Creamy, dense, full. I like it a lot.

O : Surprisingly my new scores weren't far off from my first review. I'm just glad I could try it again to revisit this memory.

3.5/5  rDev +2%

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My girlfriend's sister told me she had an apricot ale on her boat, so I asked for one. I was given this. Having not had a Pyramid beer before, I didn't know what to expect... though I've tended to read that Pyramid is relatively mediocre. Let's get going.

I had this straight from the bottle, so I'm sorry beer nerds if my "incorrect" way of drinking offends you.

Basically, it's a nice beer. A nice wheat beer with apricot added without tasting like fruit juice or like fifteen sugar packets were added. I drank the bottle within maybe ten minutes because it was tasting so good in the sun. Looking at it objectively though, this beer is what it is. It won't blow you away, especially if you're sitting in your home watching TV or inside at a bar. Like most fruit beers, enjoy it in the sun for the best experience.

Try it if you find it, it's a good one.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.29/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pyramid Apricot Ale - Pyramid Breweries, Inc. Poured from the bottle into a weizen glass, this brew's head is three fingers thick with spotty lacing, and a hazy golden body.

Smells like a nice blend of bright, earthy-er grains and a fair touch of the added apricot included with this product.

I taste a crisp mixture of the grains described above that have an extremely clean finish. Nearly TOO clean. The fruit tastes comes into play mid-palate and stays for the remainder of the swig.

This mouthfeel here is refreshingly clean and crisp. This is one of the most quenching beers I've experienced in recent memory. Fantastic job here!

Overall, I'll give Pyramid Apricot Ale - Pyramid Breweries, Inc. a 4.25. I wish I'd only discovered this a while ago.

3.12/5  rDev -9%

3.24/5  rDev -5.5%

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pyramid Apricot Ale brewed by Pyramid Breweries, Inc.. with an ABV of 5.10% This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a nice white head. This is an unfiltered brew, you can not see though it. The smell of Pyramid Apricot Ale is sweet with grains , and malts. This is a real inviting brew, I like the smell of this brew. Now for the taste it , rich with sweetness. There is a lot going on in this brew. You pick up grains, and malts. Pyramid Apricot Ale has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouthfeel is nice, smooth , and rich. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. Overall I'm giving Pyramid Apricot Ale a 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again. Pyramid Breweries, Inc. did a nice job with this one.

3.14/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.88/5  rDev -16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I'm not the biggest fan of fruity beers but I can enjoy an apricot ale once in a while. I think that the look and smell of the beer are better than the taste, which is good until it leaves a bitter after taste

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 11/26/2014. Pours hazy bright orange color with a 2 finger dense and rocky off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big apricot, peach, lemon, orange, pear, apple, light banana, wheat, honey, bread, and yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of apricot, fruity yeast, and bready malt notes; with good strength. Taste of apricot, peach, lemon, orange, pear, apple, light banana, wheat, honey, bread, light herbal, and yeast earthiness. Minimal herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of apricot, peach, lemon, orange, pear, apple, light banana, wheat, honey, bread, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice robustness and balance of apricot, fruity yeast, and bready malt flavors; with a great malt/fruit flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Very authentic tasting fruit flavors as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish as expected of 5.1%. Overall this is a damn nice fruited wheat ale. All around great robustness and balance of apricot, fruity yeast, and bready malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.43 out of 5 with 1,105 ratings