Pyramid Apricot Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

Added by Brent on 08-13-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,107 |  Reviews: 480
3.89/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured as I expected with orange cloudy look (almost apricot in color)...The smell hits you early and often with a sweat fruity apricot smell. I couldn't get enough of the smell. It was extreamly smooth on a 100+ degree day here.

I wouldn't drink this beer out of the summer, it is simply a summer beer. Pyramid has done some interesting beers in the past and this one ranks up there with in my top 2 or 3 pyramid beers.

As far as my drinkablity rating I placed it kinda of low. I always think of this rating as how many of these beer could I enjoy. I think one or two only just because they are so sweat.

My is not a beer drinker and she downed a couple and then commented "I might like beer if it was more like this..." well take that with a grain of salt but I would have to say give this beer a try.

I do have to say one thing though about pyramid....I can't say I like the marketing plan of just renameing several summer beers and seeing what happens...Although I will give props for being on all of my Alaska flights.

3.43/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Light orangish-yellow. Cloudy. Short white head that doesn't persist.

Smell - Distinct apricot over a mild malt aroma. Apricot is pretty prominent, but not out of character considering the base beer.

Taste - Again the apricot is very noticable. It is not, however, in the vein of a alcopop. Compliments the light and mildly sweet wheat ale underlying the fruit. Nothing overly complicated, probably just some apricots in the blonde ale, but it melds nicely and isn't garish.

Mouthfeel - Light and crisp.

Drinkability - Pretty decent if unremarkable fruit beer. Thankfully avoids being cloying. Not worth too many return visits though.

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%

The color is a clear amber. The head pours nicely but dissipates pretty quickly, leaving no lacing.
The aroma was pure apricot, and fresh rather than artificial. There's a nice grains backing and I even detect light hint of hops and malt; unusual for the typical fruit beer.
The taste follows suit. There's a very nice balance that surprised me and there was a nice bitterness that wasn't overpowering and lingered all the way through.
Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth, though carbonation is a little heavy. Pleasant, all in all.
This one's very sessionable and is a very solid example of the style.

Another fruit beer. This is two in the same random sixer for me. What is wrong with me?

A huge off-white head with many small bubbles fades a bit but laces over the cloudy orange color.

The aroma is apricot juice. A bit of orange as well. No discernible hop/malt scents.

I gotta say, this is very good. Apricot instantly and over and over. The flavor turns into a decently bitter hop filled kind of comes out of nowhere. It finishes with a good vanilla-malt flavor.

Creamy yet fizzy feel. Strange.

Not my style of beer, but very easy going down and a champion of this style.

3.94/5  rDev +14.9%

Very surprised by this beer.

On tap at the local Pyramid restaurant. Came to the table displaying a murky yellow coloring with a small amount of foam and nice lacing.

Obviously a fruity apricot aroma which was very pleasing and different.

A very refreshing taste. Apricots and noticeable wheat tastes on the palate. A lingering aftertaste is present.

A pretty good beer all in all. If you don't like a fruity beer then stay away, but for my tastes, this wasn't bad. It would be another thing to continue drinking these in a night, but a nice effort from Pyramid.

2.7/5  rDev -21.3%

[I'm assuming this entry is the same as Pyramid Breweries' Audacious Apricot Ale because I cannot find that beer listed here]

Appearance: orangey gold, slight haze, little-to-no head

Aroma: dried apricots, peach Jolly Ranchers; perfumey

Flavor: dryish wheat backbone overrun with perfumey/flowery apricot essence; finishes semi-dry with a lingering floral note

Mouthfeel: light body, spritzy carbonation, crisp, refreshing

Other comments: Way too fruity and floral for my taste. This is as "Audacious" as getting slammed face-first into a fruit cart.

4.15/5  rDev +21%

This was a really good beer. I enjoyed the apricot.

Appearance- cloudy honey color

Smell- apricot

Taste- just the same apricot

Mouthfeel- light body

Drinkability- very drinkable, really enjoyed the apricot, would definitely drink it again. My girlfriend and mom also really liked it.

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Apricots, Apricots, Apricots! I could end my review there. The newly branded "Audacious" Apricot Ale is all about the popular fruit. It tastes just like an apricot; smells like an apricot; feels like an apricot. If it had leaves, it would look just like an apricot. Ooh, and it has apricots in it too.

The shy and bland Weizen properties of the beer contribute a moderate haze and then backs away from the fruit. Maybe an American Weizen base beer doesn't exhibit any of the great esters or phenols that make the German varieties so appealing, so the base beer contributes very little compliment the apricot richness- carbonation perhaps, but that's about it.

The good news is that the rebranding ensures that the beers hit the shelves fresh. Under the Apricot Weizen name, the beer seemed stale, uninspiring, and oxidized. Fresh, this beer does fare much better but you have really got to like fresh flavors of apricots to enjoy this beer.

3.89/5  rDev +13.4%

I poured into a pint glass to very little head. You cannot deny the apricot smell. The taste is just like the smell. Its actually quite refreshing on a warm day. It is quite drinkable although the fruitiness gets to me after 4 or 5. Overall, it is a nice summer brew.

4.11/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Cloudy peach color with a similar colored head.

Aroma dominated by apricot, with slight hints of the wheat coming through as well.

Taste is initially of a quality American wheat beer, and then the apricot jumps out in the finish. Even after the beer is swallowed, a refreshing apricot flavor lingers.

Mouth feel is light with semi-sharp carbonation bite that balances the slightly sweet flavor.

Overall, a well-made fruit beer that is rather easy drinking. I can appreciate it even more now that I have tried to brew a fruit beer myself (this beer being far superior).

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Even better since it got it's new name, "Audacious Apricot Ale."

...But in all seriousness, one of the most underrated of the category, and most surprisingly enjoyable. Time after time, when it's on tap at festivals/events along with the other 3 styles Pyramid contributes to the tent, this one always has the longest line and is so worth the wait. And, I hear they use the same delicious and all natural essence of apricot as those cooky, crafty Magic Hat brewers....right on.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

12oz bottle poured with sediment into a weizen glass. Best by 04/08/09.

A - Hazy darker tinted wheat color with a fluffy and loose white head.

S - Awesome apricot aroma mixed with light wheats and light malts. The smell is reminiscent of something from my youth (besides apricots) that I can't put my finger on and is very intriguing.

T - The apricot flavor is less potent than the smell but also very good. Besides the apricot sweet yet tart flavor there is a good underlying backbone of light malts and a dry wheat flavor. Solid flavor for a fruit beer.

M - Crisp and light on the palate with a good smoothness.

D - For a fruit beer it's not overpowering. It has plenty of flavor but is decently balanced making it a pretty decently drinkable beer.

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Quite hazy, peach-colored. Apricot Ale looks much like a rose tinted hefeweizen. Yellow-ish/beige head rises about 2 fingers with fairly short retention. No lacing.

S - Obviously, the aroma is heavy with apricots. There's a touch of earthy, "dirty" wheat in the background but otherwise nothing.

T - More apricots with a mild to moderate sweetness. Sweetness peaks late palate with touches of typical, earthy American wheat flavors. There's a mild bitterness as well with an almost salty/briney quality. The apricot is strong and well manifested, though the beer behind the fruit is bland and grainy.

M - Creamy, but very much in the realm of light bodied. Carbonation is moderate to high providing a fairly crisp and refreshing brew.

D - A decent simple fruit beer that serves the purpose of being refreshing and tasting more like fruit than beer. The fruit isn't overbearing or artificial, and while the beer behind it may not be very interesting, it's at least unoffensive and doesn't interfere with the overriding apricot flavor. Though I haven't had Magic Hat's #9 in quite a while, Apricot Ale reminds me a lot of that brew with a creamier and improved mouthfeel. Even if you hate beer but are into apricots, Pyramid's offering is more than worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev +2.6%

A very hazy orange color when poured into a mug; very fruit like already. The smell is 100% apricot. I would state that it's citrus (and it is), but honestly, it's simply fully apricot. A sweet aroma from the top.

Taste's just like it smells. Apricot! But not overpoweringly so. I enjoy the creamy aftertaste and the light alcohol presense.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and medium. A bit of cream and a bit of water thrown in there. Drinkability is a bit lower, but I am usually a bit biased against fruity beers when it comes to drinkability since I don't want to drink large amounts of them.

Overall, a good release from Pyramid, as expected. Great beer for women, too.

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

A- Hazy, Orange with a thin lacing of head

S- Apricots, wheat and citrus.

T- Apricots, however they do not dominate the taste, not over powering. Mild bitterness at the end. A good balance between the fruit and the grain.

M- Medium body with a nice carbonation.

D- Very Drinkable.

3.04/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle a cloudy golden/orangish color w/ little to no head. At first smell, i got a nose full of apricots(imagine that)and a tiny bit of orange peel.Nothing too exciting here.

Taste was pretty much the same, lot of apricots upfront(too much if you ask me)a little breadiness and a wierd aftertaste of more apricots and a little orange, not offensive though, just wierd.

Very high in carbonation makes this quite refreshing as any good unfiltered wheat should be, and when drank ice cold, i could probably tackle like 2.5 - 3 of these. If there was a little less apricots, this beer could be an ok session. but as it stands, the fruitiness really takes its toll after a couple.

All in all, nothing terrible, but nothing to seek out either. just blah

3.74/5  rDev +9%

A - The beer was orange copper. With a small head that didn't last very long.

S - The smell was great. I loved the apricot scent.

T - Definitely has an apricot taste (hence the name) and was more malty than most beers.

M - The carbonation was pretty high in this beer and there wasn't much of a mouth coat left after a swig, but I thought the beer was very refreshing.

D - I really enjoyed this beer. I would definitely buy it again, especially to enjoy on a hot day working in the yard.

3.22/5  rDev -6.1%

The aroma is sweet and fruity with apricot and wheat. The appearance is cloudy orange with a small head. The flavor is like the aroma and just a bit harsh. The palate is smooth. It's interesting but I am just not crazy about it. This is still worth a try.

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

went ahead and put this in my mix n match 6 pack for a change of pace
short chbby bottle, lager color with a slight haze
yep thats apricot beer
wow, what a fresh clean delicious beer, kinda. i have to admit my masculine side does not like the sound of a fruity beer but dammit it tastes good. the apricot is perfect, not too strong but clearly present. it is a beer technically but if you had told me it was a welches sparkling wine thing i wouldn't have doubted it. nevertheless i really enjoyed it and will get more.
naturally my wife really liked it too

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance - Poured light golden.

Smell - Pure apricot piercing my nostrils. Upon second sniff, I could smell the hidden hops.

Taste - Like apricot with apricot hops aftertaste. It was surprising good.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth. Like an apricot wine cooler with a beer aftertaste.

Drinkability - Easily could have downed many of these.

3.59/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance, dare I say has an hazy apricotiness to it with a thin head and no lace. Smell, Apricot is first and foremost. Taste has a definate apricot flavor with some background malt and hops. Mouthfeel is medium with good carbonation. Not much on fruit beers, but this is not bad, maybe one every now and then.

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

This seems to me like a unique flavor blend for a beer...let's give it a try and see if it works.

A - Poured a cloudy orangish copper color with a one finger head that dissipated rather quickly. The head left little to no lacing down the inside of the pint glass.

S - The smell is of fresh apricots...very refreshing scent.

T - Kind of a spritzy brew...tastes of apricots with an undertone that is malty and kinda bready.

M - Thin mouthfeel, seems rather high on the carbonation. Like I said before, this brew is a bit on the spritzy side. I think I would have enjoyed this more if it had a more creamy mouthfeel. Finishes dry with no lingering aftertaste.

D - Not a bad offering from Pyramid. This could be very sessionable in the Summer, especially with the low ABV.

3.69/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

An exceptionally turbid wheat beer of apricot color with a modest smattering of suds and profuse apricot nose. The aroma is far more than I expected and causes me to wonder whether it can be sourced exclusively to real fruit. A bowl of fresh apricots in front of your face would hardly smell more like fresh apricot than this beer does. Is the fragrance artificially enhanced? Don't know, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

The taste is almost of an apricot spritzer. The "beer" of it is fairly weak and the weizen element is all but obscured. Despite this I'm compelled to acknowledge the somewhat embarrassing truth that I enjoy this fruity beer. It's too thin in the body, but the flavor is deserving and the fragrance is charmed. I wouldn't want to drink it every day, and I don't know how it found me in winter. (It's anything but a winter beer.) But Pyramid's effort is worthy of the concept of an apricot weizen, should that concept mean anything to you.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

Pours cloudy amber with a two finger head from a fast pour. Modest amount of lacings. Aroma is mostly apricot and some spices. Taste is tangy apricot with the usual Heffe flavors. I think I detected a touch of lemon as well. There is a touch of bitterness in the finish which must be the hops. This bottle tasted much better than the last one I tried. According to the enjoy by date (5-08-09) it is about a month old. Pretty tasty all in all, and quite sessionable if you like Heffes and apricots.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer pours a very hazy golden amber color with a decent one finger head formation. The head is bright white and fluffy however, lacks any sort of retention and lacing. Carbonation was definitely present as groupings of small bubbles constantly floated to the top of the glass.

This may shock you but the smell is dominated by apricots. This causes the aroma to definitely lean to the sweet side. On a second whiff, I caught some yeast and bread-like notes that helped balance out the sweetness. Overall, this is not the best aroma when it's 10 degrees outside, but could see the appeal on a warm summer day.

This is one sweet beer. The apricot flavor dominates and almost tastes like an apricot candy rather than the fruit. However, I will say that there are some other facets to the taste. I was able to get an ever so slight glimpse of hops up front and the yeast makes its presence known throughout.

Overall, this isn't half bad. It has a more robust mouth feel than I expected for a fruit offering.

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Beer rating: 3.43 out of 5 with 1,107 ratings