Pyramid Apricot Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Pyramid Apricot AlePyramid Apricot Ale

Originally named Apricot Weizen

Added by Brent on 08-13-2001

Reviews: 475 | Ratings: 1,087
2.7/5  rDev -21.5%

[I'm assuming this entry is the same as Pyramid Breweries' Audacious Apricot Ale because I cannot find that beer listed here]

Appearance: orangey gold, slight haze, little-to-no head

Aroma: dried apricots, peach Jolly Ranchers; perfumey

Flavor: dryish wheat backbone overrun with perfumey/flowery apricot essence; finishes semi-dry with a lingering floral note

Mouthfeel: light body, spritzy carbonation, crisp, refreshing

Other comments: Way too fruity and floral for my taste. This is as "Audacious" as getting slammed face-first into a fruit cart.

2.69/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured this fruit beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This ale poured a hazy orangish color, produced a decent off white head, below average retention and left little lacing on the glass. The aroma of this ale was full of fruity apricot and peach- Light in body, this beer had a base of malted grain, sweet apricot and peach nectar. There is a somewhat of a sour , medicinal taste that is not well balanced. The aroma of this brew is quite appealing, packs a very nice punch but the apricot flavor does not follow the lead. Thin, watery- This beer could be much improved with a bit more body and apricot flavor that matches the aroma.

2.68/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pyramid Apricot Wheat

Pours a clear orangish color with a small head that dies down quickly. Aroma of sweet apricots and some sugary malt. In the taste, very sweet, sugary apricots, alittle wheat malt flavor, and finishes cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy. Overall, if you like sweet beer and apricots, I could recommend this one.

2.65/5  rDev -23%

Served on-draught into a generic pilsner glass at a bar in Palo Alto, California. Expectations were high as I usually like apricot hefeweizens (and I've brewed a couple). Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a half finger head of fair cream and thickness, and good retention. Colour is a hazy cloudy copper-gold. Appealing.

Sm: Light citrus ester hops, with apricot and wheat. This is less pronounced and good than I remember the bottled version's aroma being.

T: Mild citrus notes. Orange and apricot. Simple wheat foundation. Decently balanced and built alright.

Mf: Sharp. Wet and smooth, but a touch too thick. Doesn't really complement the flavours.

Dr: Decent drinkability. Fair price ($4.00). Limited quality. I remember liking the bottled version a lot better; perhaps the keg lines are dirty.

2.65/5  rDev -23%

Brought to a party, so I figured what the hell. It's not often I'm gonna buy this myself.

Actually had a good pour, with nice, fat bubbles in the head. Cloudy, yellow beer with a white tint to it.

Very strong but pleasant aroma of apricots. Honestly it smell delicious, if not complex. A little sourness present in the nose.

Unfortunately this did not represent the taste at all. I know the beer probably shouldn't be sweet, but it seemed quite dry and astringent. None of the spice characteristics, and very little apricot flavor. Just a dull pucker.

Light body but very well carbonated.

Drinkability and taste often go hand in hand, and this is the case here. Barely able to finish it.

2.63/5  rDev -23.5%

This poured out to a pale gold with hits of copper and orange. It had a big head that faded fairly quickly. The lacing is mild and plain.

This smells decent but tastes far to fruity and acidic. It gets fairly bad as it warms. It was much better while colder, but it was still poorly balanced.

I probably couldn't drink too many of these in one sitting.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a thin whispy head that quickly fades away to nothing.

S- There certainly are some apricots in here but not much else. A light sweetness and a bit of alcohol round out the nose.

T- Very medicinal, throat lozenge flavor. Not picking up much wheat (it says "wheat ale").

M- Light bodied with low carbonation.

D- This honestly reminds me of cough syrup. Not appealing and not worth the money.

look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

[Appearance]: Light golden-orange color, very cloudy, quite a few bubbles, small to no head, no lacing.
[Smell]: Sweet canned apricot aroma.
[Taste]: Canned apricot up front, I could taste some bready, very mild bitterness at the end.
[Mouthfeel]: Thick and chewy on the palate, carbonation is pretty weak, sweet aftertaste.
[Drinkability]: Drinkablility is fair, but I wouldn't buy this beer again.

2.62/5  rDev -23.8%

Pyramid’s Apricot Weizen pours a deep golden hue. Holding it up to a light, I noticed it is slightly cloudy in appearance. The head dissipated quickly, but tracings clung in minute amounts to the sides of the glass. The aroma was a very subdued apricot scent (compared to my expectations) with a touch of grass. The flavor of the beer naturally brought to mind apricots, but was slightly bitter. There was a significant aftertaste considering how little taste appeared while drinking the beer. The mouthfeel was unimpressive; this beer looks and felt like a slightly thicker macro. Not bad for a different kind of beer, but certainly nothing I would seek out again.

2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Past the BB date, but who cares, it's not an IPA.

A: Pours an apri-- I'm not going to say it. I'm just going to say it pours a golden orange color. There are a few specks of yeast sediment floating around in there, too. The head is a frothy-looking eggshell shade one fingers high. Retention is low and there's minimal - if any - lacing left on the glass.

S: Apricots aplenty. That's good and all, but the fact they seem a bit sweet and extract-y is a turnoff. Another turnoff: the dregs seem to have a cheesy aroma to it. 'Course, I still poured them in the glass anyways, because I'm a boss like that.

T: Sweet apricots start and finish this one off. Did I mention sweet? The only thing to break up the monotony is a touch of back end tartness. On the plus side, I don't pick up much cheesiness in the flavor, so that good. I guess.

M: High carbonation and an off-dry finish do an okay job of scrubbing away some of the palate sweetness. Still too sweet, but not as stupidly cloying as it could have been. Not particularly easy to drink.

O: Meh. How many different ways can you say 'chick beer'?

2.59/5  rDev -24.7%

pours a cloudy tangerine with a large off-white head, and a little lacing.

smells like or orange kool-aide or Tang, apricot, some spice, and a little wheat.

tastes like soda water, sweet apricot, and some yeast, end is a little dry.

overall not impressive.

2.58/5  rDev -25%

I gotta say I dont mind a good fruit beer but I had a real hard time with this one. Luckily it was just part of a sampler pack so I didnt have too many. Pours a murky yellowish orange with thick creamy head. Smell was of fruit, presumably apricot but I dont know because it smelled really fake and syrupy. Taste was about the same. Honestly it reminded me of eating a kids cereal. It had that fake fruit flavor to it. Didnt really notice too much else, couldnt get past the sweetness and syrup. Mouthfeel was fine, no complaints there. Overall a beer I wouldnt revisit again.

2.57/5  rDev -25.3%

Let's see. I like beer. I dislike apricots. Apparently I dislike apricots more than I like beer. Hazy apricot color with minimal head. Points for color that matches the flavor though. I am generally not a fan of fruit beers.

2.54/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: pours a thick off white head that drops slowly with mild lacing. Cloudy light yellow gold color.
Aroma: strong apricot aroma along with wheat, white bread and a bit of lemon.
Mouthfeel: light and fizzy
Flavor: apricot also dominates the taste with wheat and malt notes in the background and just enough hops to slightly offset the sweetness.
Overall: ok for the style, but nothing spectacular and too sweet to drink more than one.

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%

Appearance - Pours a cloudy brown with strong orange tints. Reminds me of unfiltered apricot juice. The head is 3 fingers, but quickly fades to just a cap. No lacing whatsoever.

Aroma - Apricot. Nothing else.

Taste - Apricot again. Maybe enough wheat and hops in there to let you know it's beer, but you really have to look for them. The apricot really does overpower everything else.

Mouthfeel - Mouthfeel is actually pretty good. A light, refreshing body with a slickness about it. Carbonation level is perfect.

Drinkabilty - I don't like apricots, so I didn't care for it. If you like wheats and apricots, give it a whirl.

2.53/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this brew from a 12oz bottle in a pilz glass and observed only a bit of lead that left then scene quickly and left no ring. Color is a slightly hazy copper. Aroma is all apricot. There could be a bit of hops or maltiness there but you really have to sniff hard. Taste, well is just like the nose. This really isn't for me and It's tough to judge objectively when that occurs. It would be better if the fruit flavor was about a third of what it is and let the other "beer" flavors come out. This particular bottle poured almost flat, so I'll have to try the other 5 to be sure.

2.51/5  rDev -27%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appeearance: Pours a very cloudy apricot (wow, what a surprise!) color. Has a thick white head that is rather foamy and sticky.

Smell: Rather strong aroma of apricots, like a Kern's nectar or something. Not bad, just not my type of thing when it's in a beer.

Taste: Apricot-ish. Yeah... basically a mild yet dominating apricor flavor. With a funky apricot aftertaste. There may be a bit of wheat, or I may be dreaming (wishing)... if there is it's very minimal. Again, if this were a juice it would be fine, but it's just way too dominating (and out of place) in a beer.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and slightly grainy. Carbonation is a bit too soda-like when swallowing.

Drinkability: Really hard to physically swallow; I'm not sure if it's just because of the carbonation, or if the taste comes into play here as well. And the funky aftertaste too...

Not entirely sure why I bought this... actually it was on sale and I bought it just to try and write a review! Anyhow, it might be fine for someone who likes fruitier beers, though even if that were me I'd still have some major objections. Not enjoyable... best avoided.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Aroma: Apricots right off the bat. Some yeast. Mostly apricot.

Appearance: Cloudy, light gold or dark straw. Head dissipates quickly for a wheat, but lingers a bit before fading away. No lace.

Taste: Sour (fake?) apricots then stale yeast. Not that great.

Palate: Overcarbed for my tastes, but probably spot on for a heffeweisen. Light body and a short, dry finish.

Overall: I thought this was decent when I had it at the brewpub across the street from Qwest Field in Seattle. Unfortunately, I do not feel the same sitting in my bedroom in Illinois. This beer is a dud. I get the artificial apricot thing first then a bad wheat beer.

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

I bought this for my girlfriend, who's a big fan of fruit beers. Even she was disappointed in this one.

It looks fine, about what you'd expect. The head was nice and creamy, and stuck with it for a while.

The smell was...very apricot-y, but not in a good way. It was overpowering.

The taste of this was not enjoyable. I don't know if they used real apricots or an extract, but I'm guessing an extract. And I'm guessing a low-quality one. It tasted artificial, like a cheap candy.

Mouthfeel was nearly non-existent. Much like a macro.

It was drinkable, I guess, if you really have a thing for apricots in particular. I won't be buying it again. I bought a six-pack, and the final three sat in my fridge for a month until I was out of everything else.

2.47/5  rDev -28.2%

I've been curious to grab a sizer of this for about a year now. Am I glad I picked this single out at a wine shop instead. Not good at all. At first this one poured nice, looked appealing, smelled great. That was all. The taste is bland with the slightest hint of apricot. Sour and thin, this one was one of the biggest disappointments I've had in a long while. For the first time in months, I left a quarter of it in the glass. So much for my beer quote on my profile.

2.43/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer pours a murky orange, not a bad pour or head retention.

Take one whiff though, and it's all sour fruits. It's such a heavy aroma, I'm almost scared to take a sip.

The taste is all apricot, not much else going on. Hints of wheat at the finish, but this is a no-questions-asked fruit beer. As I drank more, my mouth got accustomed to the harsh sweetness, but trust me when I say this beer isn't for folks looking to get into fruit beers.

2.42/5  rDev -29.7%

Presentation: States on the bottle that I should enjoy by 12/31/04. Whoops...more than a week off. We will see how this aged (note tongue firmly planted in cheek). Reviewing this b/c it was part of a 10 craft beer gift pack. Would not ever go out and buy this on my own.

Appearance: Cloudy golden with a river water appearance about it. No head retention to speak of.

Smell: All apricots. Nothing else to report here. Smells like opening a can of apricots in heavy syrup and taking a big whiff. No hops, malts, nothing. Just apricots.

Taste: follows smell. A minor hop and biscuity aftertaste was noted at the end. This reminds me of when I was a little kid and mom let me drink some of the juice after she opened the can of fruit for fruit salad. It tasted exactly like that fruit juice.

Mouthfeel: light and refreshing. Like drinking some fruit flavored 7-up. This borders on malternative.

Drinkability: Easy drinking but I wanted a beer...I don't want another one of these.

Ratings say "worth a try". I say "avoid".

2.41/5  rDev -29.9%

Served in a flared flute glass at Bliss.

Another Bliss-ful tasting, this time focusing on "Summer beers". This one pours a mostly clear golden straw topped by a finger or so of ever-so-slightly off-white foam. The nose comprises wheat, flowers, and fake peach. I suppose the peach could actually have been apricot, but it certainly seemed more like peach to me. The taste brings nothing new to the table, and the "apricot" flavor not only comes off as more fake, but also more armpit-influenced. Boo. The body is a hefty light, with a very light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, I was not a fan of this beer. In fact, no one at Bliss was. I can't imagine why...

2.4/5  rDev -30.2%

Sounded interesting, so I gave it a try

Appearance: a hazy, copper pour, good foam with nice, tight bubbles.

Aroma: During the pour, apricots shot into my nose. Overpowering. Too much. Over the bar. So apricotish that it smells artifical.

Taste: The heavy aromas almost kill the taste, which was average.

Mouthfeel: a bit heavy, but average for type.

Drinkability: I finished 1/2 bottle and had to pour it. 5 bottles will find a new home soon.

Comment: This is my first review and I hope to find better beers to rate in the near future. This beer just tasted "fake" for some reason.

2.38/5  rDev -30.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. A half inch white head that quickly recedes to nothing. A few spots of lace on the glass. Hazy orange color.

Smell is dry fruity aroma and I can barely detect the wheat. Taste is mildly syrupy. Taste a lot like a Jones peach soda. I can't even really taste anything distinctively beer.

Mouthfeel is light and has a crisp carbonation, but the artificial fruit flavor has an unpleasant after taste. Alcopop

Pyramid Apricot Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.