Imperial Hefeweizen Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

good
Imperial Hefeweizen AleImperial Hefeweizen Ale

Pyramid Breweries, Inc.
Washington, United States
pyramidbrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Limited edition, brewed with 60% malted wheat with Nugget and Tettnang hops.

Added by Todd on 08-29-2007

Reviews: 90 | Ratings: 95
3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer pours with a fat-two-finger thick, pale tan colored head that is slightly creamy and sticks a bit to the sides of my glass. The beer is quite hazy and is an orange-tinted, amber color. The aroma is quite clean in it grain-like character; it smells of lightly toasted pale malt and wheat and crushed soda crackers. Underneath this is a yeastiness and a touch of fruitiness that is something like apples with a bit of pear and even a touch of apricot. I can't really smell much in the way of a hop contribution to the aroma.

Somewhat tart tasting up front and it definitely tastes a bit like doughy yeast. There is a hit of hot alcohol towards the finish that seems to fade pretty quickly. A herbal hop character and lightly astringent bitterness tends to linger on in the mouth after that beer has passed on. Bread-like malt and a yeast bit also linger on in the finish. This definitely has a bit more heft to it than a regular American Wheat ale, but is still somewhat quaffable. Tart wheat & yeast notes contribute to fruit flavors of green apples and pears. This is definitely very grain focused in flavor with a touch of yeast and hop character to round things out (which is characteristic of the regular version of this beer).

At times the hot alcohol can really linger and it really detracts from the experience of this brew. I think that it gets to be a bit too much for the simplistic grain & slight hop character that is typically found in an American Wheat Ale. This even despite that fact that this is a "more" beer. Not bad, but it would be much better & more what I expected if the alcohol could somehow be tamed.

3.46/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 ounce bomber purchased from Beverages and More in San Diego for five dollars

Poured into my Aventinus glass with a murky golden orange color and a white foamy head that was around an inch, left lacing for the first ten minutes or so

Smell was tons of wheat and some strong malt, bready aromas, some bananas, also faint lemon aromas

Taste was typical for a wheat beer but was definitely more syrupy than others, sweet malt came to the surface as it warmed and made it less chewy towards the end, straw finish with a hint of sourness, goes down fairly easy but not as smooth as you would think, very interesting to try a more heavily hopped hef, nice idea but I feel that this one could have potentially been better

Good amount of carbonation, the body almost seemed too thick for the style of beer, not bad though and the taste lasted long

Could not drink much more than a bomber of this, it is pretty heavy on the stomach, ABV is also high for a Hefeweizen, this serving was probably just right

I was expecting more from this beer but I still recommending trying it since it is a one time release and is not too expensive, hopefully the next Brewmaster's Reserve from Pyramid will impress more

2.98/5  rDev -15.1%

OK. for a hefe, this beer actually looks really nice. pours smooth cloudy, a rich peach color you'd expect with a silky head about a quarter inch off the top of the brew. This brew smells good but definitely par for the course as far as hefe's. Honestly, I expected alot more from this brew especially since it's a "brewer's reserve" edition and i had a hard time keeping on the shelves at the store. This beer is far too grainy in taste. little to no floral taste and as it warms becomes increasingly harsh as the alcohol comes through. this brew sits on the palate alright and i imagine if kept cold you could knock back a few of these, however i prefer my hefe's a bit warmer. perhaps my expectations were a bit high for this brew. in no way is it awful, but in no way is it spectacular either. at 7.5% it's a decent one time ride if you're getting the 1pint 6oz bottle.

3.56/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into the tulip

A -Murky wheat color, fat almost white head. Thin foamy lacing.

S - Sweet flowers, fruit, some yeast.

T - Wheat like malt, some sourness. I keep thinking I will like sour beer, but I really don't.

M - Medium body, nice finish, considering.

D - For the style, pretty good.

3.21/5  rDev -8.5%

Thick, syrupy orange body with off-white fluffy marshmallow head. A pretty pour.

Nose is sweet, not spicy, with an alcoholic component.

Some ester sweetness, but none of the clove spiciness that I would expect to find here. Flavor is OK, but very one-dimensional for a Hefeweizen. Warming alcohol is present also. Some fruitiness, but really, it's not all that interesting.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. This is one that I was happy to find, but will probably not seek out again.

3.46/5  rDev -1.4%

Appearance-- This is a good looking beer. Poured a mighty thick head, but with minimal retention. A good looking beer: light golden with a darker center.

Smell-- smells as the style should. Light smell of orange, maybe some apple. A scent of yeast is also present but not overwhelming. Every here and there I get a whiff of something not right, but it comes and goes and I can't quite pick it out.

Taste-- Nicely balanced, a sense of the orange and apples. Also the yeast makes itself known. The aftertaste reveals a solid tart, and it sticks around long after the beer. A little bit bitter as well.

Mouth feel-- nice and clean, the tart detracts for me, but I think that is partially just personal preference.

Drinkability-- This score may be partially a reflection of the fact that this isn't my favorite style of beer. However, I think any beer drinker can appreciate that this is a good beer, it is tasty. For me, however, it gets a bit old, the tart and bitter combines in an unpleasant way; but only occasionally, which is weird.

3.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

1 Pint Bottle 2007 Brewer's Reserve

A- Pours Very Cloudy golden yellow with a large white bubble head. Some sediment from the bottle gout in to the Glass No lacing on the glass.

S- Very sweet smell with a floral bouquet with a hint of fruit

T/M- Starts off very wheaty turning to a nice warm feeling which is more than likely due to the alcohol content of the beer. Defiantly has the taste of American wheat which I like, but if you do not and are looking for the strong banana and clove taste stay away from this one, they are there but barely

D- Not a bad hefeweizen but at the price not one that I would drink all the time. But would defiantly get more of to have on hand

3.44/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a hefe glass, the color is classic hazy gold hefe, with a light, fluffy, off-white head that settles pretty quickly and leaves moderately heavy lace.

Smell is very sweet and floral, with a quinine like dryness to it. In a blind tasting, I'd swear this is a saison, which happens to be my favorite style. Very nice, although the honey maybe to much for some, but not me!

After the very appetizing aroma, the taste is a bit of a let down,as I've noticed on the couple other occasions I've had this as well, on draught and from the bottle. Not very floral, not a lot of hefe esters, mainly a sharp graininess and boozy finish, particularly out of the fridge. The tastes from the nose linger in the background, although less so as it warms. Not bad by any means, but not great either.

Mouthfeel is pretty thick, the sugars and oils leaving a phlegmy film in the back of the throat.

The drinkability is below average. I'm not really scoring this to 'style', but it's just not something your gonna wanna drink a lot of. Tis a shame, I love hefe's and love big beers, and though this would be a match made in heaven...unfortunately it's just an interesting experiment, although I applaud the concept and would like to see Pyramid continue their efforts pushing the boundaries of hefe's.

3.7/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased online thru Bottle Trek for $5.35 (plus shipping).

a: Pours a very murky yellow to orange amber with a thin white head, no lacing.

s: Not your typical hefe aroma, more subdued. Some fruity notes, lemon and orange in particular. Sweet honey is perhaps the most dominant smell.
I made a batch of mead once with lemon and orange in it and this smells almost exactly like it.

t: Good, different, but good. Sweet wheaty malt with honey, yeast and some lemon. The finish is alcohol and some hop bitterness.

m: a full bodied wheat, pretty dry.

d: I would have this again, its a unique and enjoyable beer.
Not a session beer, alcohol is too noticeable. Its not the refreshing beer you would expect from a traditional hefe so it has to take a knock for drinkability. But its not really a hefe, its a style defying brew, it lacks many of the prominent characteristics of a hefeweizen, but what else would you call it?

I still can't get over its similarity to some mead I made (though mine was not very good, just had a similar aroma and some taste similarities).

3.38/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Orange to amber in color. Darker then I was expecting for sure. Consistant head that seems to stay throughout the glass. Nice frothy lacing. Ok aroma-none of the hefe notes I was looking or especially being "imperial". Sharp and crisp smell to it. Malty and crisp flavor. Decent hop bite but again theres none of the "hefe" notes in there. Slight lingering citrus flavor. Finish is somewhat dry. Full bodied mouthfeel. Drinkable and enjoyable yes but hefe? Not really.

3.33/5  rDev -5.1%

Hazy, dull peachy-tawny beige in hue; off-white head, massive in size, a softish pour still produced more than four fingers of foam. Head retention was excellent, as it should be, the massive amount of bubbles didn’t move. In time, as I removed the liquid, spotty lacing started. Overall, the lacing was thick and clumpy; a small cap lasted the entire consumption. Overall, the appearance isn’t much above average for a Wheat beer.

The nose isn’t overly clovey or wheaty… hell, there is no bubblegum aromas or banana for that matter. In other words, the “hefe” characteristics are minimal. I need to smell cloves, bananas, and wheat in a normal Hefeweizen. An Imperial? Shit, I better smell a lot of it. I don’t. Lame. This is just a big-ass American Wheat beer. I can scarcely detect the high ABV, which is good. Moderately-low potency… the aromas are inviting, in an offhanded way. Still, I am quite disappointed with the nose.

Very wheaty palate, I detect some wheat zippiness (but no sourness)… not much cloves or banana or bubblegum or pepper. The high alcohol content is noticeable. Upfront the beer is wheaty before turning very hot and unlikable, the end is redeeming as a nice sweetness arrives. The palate is to hot for me; is this wheat malt liquor? I don’t have anything positive to say.

Full bodied, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel is quite agreeable actually. If this was a true Hefewiezen I’d like more carbonation but at this point this “Imperial” has fallen flat, so to speak.

It is drinkable… I guess. I don’t dislike it. Fans of American Wheat beers should really like it. This is not a Hefeweizen; it is an American Strong Pale Wheat Ale. What a mouthful.

3.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a cloudy amber/orange color with a 2 finger white head.

Smells of sweeter wheat - some lighter fruits here. Maybe just a touch of alcohol.

The taste surprises me. Lots of wheat immediately backed by tropical fruit/banana sweetness. A bit of alcohol as well. Possibly not the most complex, but still nice and tasty.

Mouthfeel is relatively creamy with a good richness. Not light like your standard hefeweizen, but it works here. Could use a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability is very good.

Overall, recommended. Not the most amazing beer I have had, but rather tasty.

Edit: After drinking some more, I have to lower the scores a bit. The drinkability definitely goes down as you drink more, as well as realizing the taste is a bit muddy. It started out well, but is not something I'll come back to all that often.

3.93/5  rDev +12%

This is like the platypus of beers. It's a lighter style of beer, but it has 7.5% ABV. And in this lighty-hopped style, add a whole bunch of hop flavor. I spotted several bombers of this limited edition ale at Hi-Time in Costa Mesa a few days ago. To add to the platypus theme, this brands main rival to Widmer Hefeweizen gets to sit in a Widmer branded weizen glass. Oh the contrasts! On to the beer:

Darker blonde color, almost orange, cloudy, topped by a three-finger sized head at first. Traditional hefeweizen aroma of phenols and bubblegum are less intense in the nose compared to many of the German counterparts. Lemon zest and light citrus crawl out too. Now for the taste...can't decide what digits it gets at this point. Hops are very noticeable, creating a citrusy flavor. Wheat malt is light, but detectable. The yeast flavors get swallowed by the citrus, creating a unique flavor from the two. The hops lose some of its authority as the beer warms, evening out the balance. Extremely smooth, whipped-like, and fluffy in the mouth. Moderate alcohol is felt in the throat. A bit metallic in the back of the palate. It goes down easy like any other hefe, which was a bit of a surprise from what I was expecting (insert platypus joke here).

No lemon garnish needed for this one, nor does the bottle promote the idea. But the bottle did express "a taste that's uniquely refreshing". I can agree on that. Indeed, this is a hop lover's hefeweizen. It's too bad it's a limited release. I hope this catches on with other brewers, let alone Pyramid making another batch of this.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a very cloudy (opaque) orange-gold. Excellent initial head (very light orange, very thick, three fingers), but not much in terms of retention -- it was practically gone halfway through my pint (I'll have to try it in the weizen glass next time). Some sticky lacing, but it slides down the glass pretty quickly. Light, fine carbonation.

Faint aromas -- I'm getting herbal hops, honey, malted wheat, and a light citrus. Appetizing, but I was expecting it to be stronger.

Tastes really good, but again, it's milder than I thought. Much better than their regular hefe -- that wheat bitterness is way in the back, with malts and citrus taking the forefront. Fairly dry finish nicely complements the medium-large body. I'd have no idea this was 7% until the second or third pint -- I completely disagree with the reviewers who said it was "hot". Maybe compared to your average Hefe, but this is clearly being marketed as something else -- a Strong American Wheat Ale or something of the nature.

A lot of hype around this beer, and I have to say, I'm not disappointed at all. Probably my favorite brew from Pyramid -- higher ABV than their IPA, but much more drinkable. As Varsity (formerly Magoo's) has pitchers of this for $14, I'll probably be following this up with a review of it on tap later this week.

2.31/5  rDev -34.2%

Picked this one up in Asheville over the weekend. Saw the half full box on the floor at Green life and had to grab one. Poured a very very hazy and cloudy bright yellow amber. This had to be one of the cloudiest I have ever seen, I mean no light was really getting through the haze. Large white head billowed over the top and gradually settled down into a fine layer of lace across the top. Very hot smell, lots of wheat mixed in with alcohol, you could tell this was going to be a monster. Not a lot of depth here as this was pure and simple a very hot Hefe. A ton of grain and sediment filled the first flavors and then a hot rush of alcohol brought up the back. Kind of strong, almost too strong as it seemed to drown out some of the more complex flavors that could have been there. Decent light to medium body with lots of carbonation and a nice dry finish. This was a unique creation in that it seemed it was a good Hefe to start and then just got the alcohol layered on top until it reached an obnoxious level. Really could have been toned down a bit to allow more subtleness, but never the less a really decent experimental brew and something I would probably try again, but maybe after letting it sit down for a year or so.

3.45/5  rDev -1.7%

From a 22oz bottle in a Weizen glass.

Pours a cloudy dark orange with a medium sized off white head, which was actually much smaller than I was expecting. Nice head retention and intermittent lacing as the level dropped. Aroma is somewhat reserved at first, mostly conististing of bready, yeasty aromas but once it warmed up, very strong fruits notes (most noticeably bananas) and spices came forth.

The taste can't quite keep up with that wonderful aroma. Basically tasting like a beefed up version of a regular Hefe. Mostly bready with some intermingling lemon and spice notes. Finishes hoppy and a little hot but that subdues somewhat as it warms. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly beefy. The booze is there but seems to be covered fairly well.

This was my first time with this style and I'm not quite sure what to think. I appreciated the attempt at a bigger and bolder Hefe and in some aspects it succeeded but I just wish that the taste had come through a little more. I would still call the drinkability decent on this one and it's worth a try if you've never experienced one before.

4.13/5  rDev +17.7%

I poured a capped 22 ounce bottle into a Franziskaner Weissbier glass.

A: It poured a cloudy orange hue with a pillowy off-white head with massive bubbles and a sticky consistency that left a intermediate lacing until the head dissipated early in the experience. The head receded quickly to a slender cover over the brew.

S: It had the aroma of fresh baked white bread loaded with yeast as well as ripe light fruits (e.g., banannas and aprocots) and ligth spices (e.g., white pepper.

T: It begins with a creamy, yeasty, bready malt flavor topped by a diluted citrus taste (lemons) and ends with a nip of earthy zesty hops. The brew ends with a layer of yeast that coats the mouth and slowly dissipated under the influence of the relatively robust ABV and spicy hops.

M: It was full bodied with a creamy full flavor accented with spices and fruit. The lingering yeasty aftertaste sours deep into the experience reducing the overall joy of the drink. .

D: This was a comfortable easy to drink beer. For a Hefe Weizen it was not too sweet or yeasty. I could easily put down two or three and still fill ready for a thing called life.

Comment: Nice smooth beer that I will stock in my collection. Not the best Heffe but a solid member of the team. Its a bit more heavily hopped compared to other Heffes but that extra kick adds to its character and complexity.

3.41/5  rDev -2.8%

From a lovely silk-screened 22 oz. bottle, marked "Brewer's Reserve 2007", into a standard [Widmer!] pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy orange-peachy color with a bit less than 1-finger of dense white head. What's left after the head dies down is a splotchy film that never quite fades away. A few streams of small, quickly-moving carbonation seen under intense light, otherwise it's just another hazy American "Hefeweizen".

S: An ever-so-slight bready aroma, with lightly lemony hops. That's about it. Hardly 'Imperial'...alcohol comes through, with an ozone-like dryness.

T: Much more intense sourdough bread flavor. Quite lemony, with a fair pithy citrus that compliments the maltiness nicely. Malts are wheaty, full of dry crackers and injected with healthy amounts of wet, herbal hoppiness. It tries to impart a little spice and fruitiness, but ultimately this is an amped up version of an American Hefeweizen (a weak substitute for the much more delicious German version) with, simply, more malt and more booze. Still, it rates a 'good' in my book...

M: Fuller in the mouth than a typical hefeweizen, grows thicker and more overwhelming with each sip. Carbonation is relatively busy, for a while, then softens to a . Finish is moderately clean. Still comes across as a little sticky and more than a little muddy. ABV exposes itself.

D: Hmmm...I don't detest this Imperial Hefeweizen, nor do I love it. It seems stuck somewhere in Purgatory, a decent brew that was never meant to be for this world. I guess I'd drink it again, as it's still pretty interesting and has a flavor and balance that has it's appealing side. Give it a try...

3.16/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, tanned-orange body with a thin, wispy white head.

Smell: Aroma full of malted wheat but little else. Any notes of bubblegum or banana remain very light. Same goes for the spicy-smelling hops.

Taste: Malted wheat flavor with a subdued sweetness. Spicy hops remain mild at best. Again, any bananas and bubblegum lurking within are nearly imperceptible. A hint of sour lemon rind rolls in midway. Finishes with a soft yeastiness and more of that oh-so subdued sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Mild carbonation. Chewy mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Decent, however entirely unnoteworthy it may be.

3.18/5  rDev -9.4%

22 oz. bomber,

A: Pours a cloudy, light orange, almost amber into a pint glass, my hefe glass broke, with a thick, white head.

S: Smells predominately of wheat, pasta, and alcohol.

T: Tastes basically like their regular Hefeweizen, but with a slug of alcohol put in. Not a bad taste, but not that complex, very wheat, with a fair bit of hops, pretty average actually.

M: Fairly high in carbonation, medium-bodied, spritzy, and a bit boozy.

D: I was expecting more out of this brew, drinkable, yes, but far from something I would buy again, but I would say worth a try for hefe fans.

3.17/5  rDev -9.7%

This is my second Imperial Hefeweizen. I liked the Southern Tier version so let's give this a try.

Pours a cloudy orange color. Not much in the way of head or head retention throughout. For this I think it misses the mark.

Smell is good. Banana, clove and hops. There is a definite citrusy element as the hops come through. Slight boozy smell as well.

Taste is average at best. I think it has some of the typical hefeweizen characteristics. However, there more of a grapefruit taste with a slight bite in the end. Not expected and maybe a little out of balance.

Mouthfeel is okay. Not cloying. There is an added alcohol warmth and bitter finish.

Drinkability is okay. I probably won't be going back for more. This beer has an identity crisis. It's not a bad thing but hefeweizens are unique for their wheat and lack of hop content. I don't want to mess with that. For my money, Southern Tier got it right.

2.77/5  rDev -21.1%

Poured from a Pyramid bomber into Sam Adams glasses. I only bought this because it was featured on a BA article, but honestly this was a bad call.

It starts with a strong appearance (hazy dark golden color, wet thick head), and all measures decline from there. The aroma is not so much hefeweizen as it is a subdued pilsner. A little hoppy, no bubblegum or banana or cloves or whatnot. Did Pyramid use the write yeast and fermentation conditions? Or does the "Imperial" in the name render the normal attributes to be irrelevant? I'm sure the beer was a result of some conscious decision at Pyramid so I conclude that they meant it to not seem like a hefeweizen. The taste was likewise not as expected, mostly bitter and biting, and seeming a little oxidized (skunky). I'm not sure what happened here, but this is not a beer I care for.

3.03/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Pours a cloudy and hazy orange-amber hue with a nice amount off craggy white head that is sustaining and leaves a fair amount of lacing on the glass
S- Aroma is mostly citrus and floral hops along with yeasty wheat malts
T- Hmmmm, initial taste is of wheat and sweet malts, followed by bread malts and dark citrus in the middle, and finishing with an unassuming touch of dry hops and alcohol
M- Medium-bodied hefe with an almost oily texture, light carbonation
D- At 7.5%abv, this is definitely on the strong-side for a hefe, fairly drinkable overall, but lacks any unique characteristics for a repeat buy. I think the biggest knock on this beer is that it tries to be both an IPA and a Hefe but fails at both, sometimes "hybrids" are not the best picks for beers and this shines with this "Imperial Hefeweizen". . . if I want a good IPA, there are plenty of better choices, and the same holds for Hefes, I see no situation in which I would want the hoppiness of an IPA with the wheat/syrupy maltness of a Hefe. . . BUT props to Pyramid for trying something new

3.32/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 650mL bottle into a nice, tall hefe glass. Obviously born recently since this offering just released, but no date to be seen. Nicely clouded like all the Pyramid brews and a surprisingly dark amber for the style. Tons of buttermilk head, tons of lace.

Smells of wheat, wheat, and a little kiwi. Pine; more the wood than the needle. Nice salty-smelling hops anda sweetish yeast, similar to other Pyramid hefes.

Wheat again on the body, subdued in hopping and in yeast flavour. Meaty and salty, tastes like it's balanced with some fairly dark malt. Very simple with only the slightest floral notes and one spice I can't quite place, maybe fenugreek. Finishes with a nuttiness like peanuts or brazils.

Feels light, but is sticky and coating. Drinks fairly well, but lacks the refreshing nature of most hefes.

Was excited to find this, as Pyramid is known for the style and this is clearly intended to be a crown jewel of the line. Sadly, the execution comes of very heavy and seems to put the emphasis on the less-palatable parts of the wheat.

3.3/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy dark golden color with a solid 2 inch head. Aroma was spicy and citrusy with a hint of malt and cloves in the nose. Taste was spicy and malty with some grainy flavors, but not much else. I couldn't taste any of the bubblegum flavors that are so common in hefes. So far, nothing outstanding. Mouthfeel was medium and alcohol was not really evident. Drinkability was pretty good. This is an average beer that doesn't really taste like an authentic hefeweizen. It's more of an American wheat ale with a higher alcohol content.

Imperial Hefeweizen Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.