Curve Ball Blonde Ale | Pyramid Breweries, Inc.

Read the review

Added by RedDiamond on 07-17-2008

1.2/5  rDev -63.1%

04/22/12
BOTTLE TO PINT GLASS.
Fishy,skunky, pissy, yellow Fishy,skunky, pissy.
Not good at all. Basically, Budweiser in a cooler bottle.

One of my least favorite beers of all time.

1.5/5  rDev -53.8%

1.7/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Two finger white head, kind of lazy looking carbonation. Decent retention, sticky lacing. Essentially clear, very light yellow. Exceptionally high clarity.

S- Grass, and light, kind of gross malts.

T- Super grassy, some lemon and malt flavors. Refreshing in the fact that it is basically water.

M- Tonic water. Fizzy but extremely light.

O- Too bad. Not a good beer.

1.7/5  rDev -47.7%

Pyramid 6-packs were on sale, and there was no more IPA. Given my distaste for American wheat beers, I went for the curve ball. What a mistake.

A - fizzy yellow beer. Looked a little like I had poured Bud into a glass - only less bright and filtered in appearance.

S - this is when I knew this beer would suck. It smelled like PBR - obviously underhopped and made with a boring yeast.

T - dear God, it's worse than I had thought. Has the same, "am I going to puke" aftertaste as PBR. A truly miserable beer. It took months to finish off this six-pack because I was always willing to just go to the store and buy more beer rather than drink this crap. Eventually we took the last of it camping and let our friends drink it. Ick.

M - basically like an American lager, bud or PBR-like.

D - this would get high marks if the taste and aftertaste weren't SO bad that I had trouble sucking it down. A truly nasty beer.

1.76/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours nice pale color with lots of carbonation and a ok head. Smells grassy and citric and a touch off in the malt. The off-ness contiues as I sip through this, I think it might be slightly oxidized or have some metal in the water I don't like. I don't know I don't care for this one. I couldn't finish this before dinner so I dumped it and got something better.

1.99/5  rDev -38.8%

A- Only slightly darker than your average macro. Other than that, identical to them. Lots of visible carbonation. Decent head, though. Zero lacing.

S- Not great. That Kölsch aroma doesn't do it for me; musty, slightly skunky and an off bittered aroma. At least it's a rich aroma.

T- Light tasting, hops forward. Not much to it. Some very modest fruitiness.

M- Less carbonation than I expected. Not bad, light but pretty solid.

D- No thanks, one half of these is more than enough. I don't think I'm a big Kölsch fan.

2.13/5  rDev -34.5%

A- Piss yellow (sorry that's what it looks like). Light but fast moving carbonation. No Head, Slight Lacing and good sticking.

S- Strong spice and Herbal Notes.

T- Clean, Crisp, Spicey-almost tangy, Earthy and Grainy.

M- Tough to take a lot of this beer into your mouth because of the carbonation. Very light though.

D- Not really wanting another on this hot summer night.

2.13/5  rDev -34.5%

Poured a golden color with a small head, that dissapated quickly. Smelled like a wet dish rag. Very grassy. Tasted rancid. Like rotten lemons, and grass.
Mouthfeel was ok, average.
I was not impressed by this beer at all. Do people really like this? Not for my taste at all!

2.16/5  rDev -33.5%

2.23/5  rDev -31.4%

Cloudy golden color with a small white frothy head that doesn't last long. Bready and flowery aroma, has a light bready flavor with some lemon, it is light bodied with somewhat of a thin, yet crisp mouthfeel, finishes dry and clean, not all that great.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

I've seen Pyramid brews on the shelf for a long time but just never got around to trying any. This Curve Ball Ale appealed to me because: 1. It's summer and they describe it a "kolsch style" beer. 2. The bottle label and six pack graphics are pretty cool. 3. Some pretty good products come from the Western US so I thought this might be one of them.

I was wrong. This poured a very pale yellow with virtually no head. And what little it did have disappeared immediately. The smell was OK, sort of sweet and bread-like with malt and there is also some strong fruit aroma going on. But the taste is nothing like the smell. Very weak. Mine was almost flat with little carbonation. When it's hot outside I like a little bubble. It went down easy enough but left nothing behind. Nothing.

So, I regret that my first experience with Pyramid was so negative. Judging from the rest of the reviews on this brew here on the sight - no one else is too impressed either.

Maybe some of their other stuff is better but I'll pass on this boy...

2.26/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours a medium gold with no head and small but present carbonation.

Smells of wet grain with some skunk.

Taste is light malt sweetness, a slightly earthy flavor but mostly grain.

The mouthfeel is light and clear.

Not refreshing enough to justify the lack of flavor.

2.28/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Chalky and dry, smells like a moldy old book. Hazy golden, most kolschs I’ve tried are crystal clear. taste is like stale saltine crackers. I wish American brewers would date their bottles on the labels like the Germans. At least then you know if it’s bad. Here I’m guessing they tried to make it taste like this....

2.3/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the local Pyramid.

A yellow straw color with almost no head at all. Nothing special to view.

A malty, grainy smell that sort of reminds me of skunky beer.

It does have a crisp taste with a rice type flavoring. Grainy as well with light carbonation. A very unpleasant aftertaste which lingers far too long.

I would be hard pressed to try this again.

One of my least favorites from Pyramid.

2.38/5  rDev -26.8%

On-tap at the BrewKettle, Strongsville, OH - 4/11/07

A: Served in a slender pilsener glass, the beer poured a light golden color with little head or lacing.

S: Weak smell with indescriptive malt and yeast aromas.

T: Creamed corn with a bit of hops to balance. Not good.

M: Light-bodied and moderately carbonated. Good for the style.

D: Not good. Pass.

2.39/5  rDev -26.5%

A - Bright yellow, no head what-so-ever. Ultra small amount of lacing.

S - Smell is slightly of roasted malt, mixed with slight florals, and a pickle aftertaste.

T -Taste is horrid, way too salty and bitter. No hops apparent, and balance is way off. Tastes acidic and unappealing.

M - Mouthfeel is close to the texture of sandpaper.

D - 4.80% and this tastes bad, real bad.

Overall, not exactly an enjoyable Kolsch, and one you should avoid.

2.41/5  rDev -25.8%

New packaging relabels this old Pyramid offering a face lift. Their summer seasonal Kolsch is labeled as a blonde ale this time around, pours a brilliant golden body with a slight haze cast over it, bright white nicely carbonated head forms a dimpled cloud rising well above the edge of my glass. Chunky scattered lacing forms with each sip and as the head slowly dwindles down. Aroma has some mild citrus components with some cooked veggies and pale biscuit malt sweetness. A touch of herbal spicy hops and mineral water are there as well, let's see how it's tasting. A bit of harshness is present with mild grainy off flavors, the metallic edge seems to overshadow the rest of the flavors. Some nice sweetness with a kiss of citrus fruit are apparent but they become muddled within cooked veggies and that mineral rusty finish. Mouthfeel is thin but carbonation seems a bit unnatural and forced, where the metallic edge really weighs the palate down after just a few sips. Drinkability overall is pretty pour, I will reevaluate next year but so far the Fall seasonal beats the pants of this one.

2.45/5  rDev -24.6%

I picked up a six-pack of Curve Ball to taste review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a gold color, and is clear. A bubbly white head dissipates quickly to a fizzy champagne-style head. The head produces almost no lacing on the glass.

The smell is fruity, with a scent of grain. Aroma of apples is present.

The taste is a little bland. There is a malt flavor, along with a mildly bitter hop flavor, and some sort of herbal notes (according to the label). I think it tastes a little like alfalfa. The flavors are reasonably well balanced, but understated.

Mouth feel is light, crisp and a little watery.

This is a drinkable beer, but frankly the flavor is underwhelming. I would prefer something a little more full-bodied. I wouldn’t mind having Curve Ball again, especially on a hot day, but I wouldn’t go out of my way for it.

2.48/5  rDev -23.7%

An orangish brown color and a middling tan head. The nose has pale grainy malts and some mild bittering hops. The taste is quite light with an herby hop presence over subtle barley. A light body has ample carbonation. Not a bad version of the style, just a bit on the light side.

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

Curve Ball Blonde Ale from Pyramid Breweries, Inc.