Galaxy Bowl | Hop Butcher For The World

View: Beers
Reviews by 5toutman75:
4.63/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like orange juice. I can’t taste the alcohol at all. I think I could sip this 8% IPA all day long on a hot summer day until I caught up with me unknowingly.

2.79/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not sure what everybody else was drinking that posted reviews but it sure was not the batch 2 cans I had. Was decently hazy on the pour and had good carbonation and lacing. Did notice blops of yeast at the bottom of the glass after everything settled After that the wheels fell off. Aroma had bit of funk to it and the taste was way to Belgian Ipa for me. Was really surprised as I was looking for some of that peach (barely) and tropical fruit (maybe rotten) flavors mentioned by others. Ended up drain pouring the last half. Have to mention that this was the second can (not at all different from the first) I tried so I was trying to be open minded but this we definitely not what I was expecting. Tasted more like a Bedlam from Asylum.

2.01/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I have been a long time BA user, but out of sheer laziness not much of a poster. After tasting this beer, I felt compelled to write my very first review.

SPOILER ALERT: If you like Treehouse, Trillium, Hill Farmstead, Lawsons, Alchemist, Fiddlehead, Maine BC, Foley Bros, etc....AVOID THIS BEER!!!!

I don't know what the other guys have been drinking before, but holy sheet this stuff AWFUL!!!!

L: Opaque - Appears to be more yeast rather than sort flaked adjuncts or dryhop oil suspension

S: All if the previously mentioned aromas are accurate, but not in a good way. I am fortunate to have had innumerable beers from the aforementioned NE IPA gurus (Green & Haze are my number 1's). Each of the beers from those breweries incite excitement at the mere smell of their beer - this smell induces nauseau...

T: HOLY FOOK Batman! I am so pissed that I bought two 4-pack is this stuff. Do not believe the hype machine. This is drain pour only

F: At least they got something right. Not quite NEIPA, but damn close

No date on can, but this from the 12/2016 run. Drank on 12/5/2016

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

10/7/16 -
I'm going to get this out of the way first--This is the best smelling IPA/DIPA I've ever had. It smells like pure tropical juices (mango, passion fruit, maybe peach) in a way that even some of my other favorites don't.

If you know the NE style, you know the look. Thick, opaque, yellow, like a light orange juice. Some people don't like this look, but I love it. Not a judgement on way an IPA "should" look, but my personal preference. Just enough head when poured into a tulip.

The taste follows the nose, although not quite as intense. Tropical fruits with a hint of bitterness, which helps the beer from being too cloyingly juicy. The feel is nice and full, again, pretty standard for the style, I think.

This is my favorite NE-style beer to date (haven't had the big Ts in MA, though). I'm not sure I want every IPA to be in this style, but I think that for what it is, it's delicious. I'm surprised that Galaxy hops have now taken the lead over Mosaic as my favorite for NE beers (my favorite hop overall is Citra, for reference).

Awesome first attempt from Hop Butcher, and one of the best in Chicago so far. Will definitely keep this one on the radar from now on!

Final note--I gave the smell a 5, but since I think it smells better than anything else I've had, I gave the Overall a 5 as well, to represent that. I'd give the beer itself a 4.5 or 4.75.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

16oz tallboy can, sample from the brewery.

Impressive look, love the clarity on this pale amber brew and the head is quite spectacular as it sticks all over the glass. Aroma is very vibrant and zesty, lots of citrus and some pine ... clean and hoppy. Crisp with a medium body, a push of warming alcohol within. Bitterness is there, some hop flavor, and even the malt base is noticeable. The warmth of the alcohol seems to linger and slightly distract but all is good in the finish with more pungent rind flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: Hazy as fuck with a real NE haze going on. If you approve of 'east coast' IPA aesthetic this will work just fine (I do).

S: Juicy peaches and other tropical fruits I cannot discern. Again, really does the NE style 'juice' well here.

T: I've never gotten Peach from a beer before (maybe Juilus) but its here in spades. Also some pineapple. Initially I was a little underwhelmed here given all the hype but its difficult to find too much to complain about with such a balanced juice bomb.

F: Pillowy, chewy goodness.

O: Really, really nice. If you it were not for Treehouse, this would likely be rated higher (but everything is relatively right?). But I find it just as enjoyable as the multiple Trillium beers I've had.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

Opaque light orange, the yeast settles at the bottom in a striated pattern. Long lasting sticky halo of lacing all around the glass, plus nice surface coverage.

Fruit cocktail aroma, just like those little plastic cups of pears and peaches in syrup. As it sits longer, there's more of a yeasty juicyfruit bubblegum aroma with some mango notes.

Taste is yeast forward, juicyfruit gum, tropical mango, canned peaches, phenolic esters, white pepper, light bitterness in the dry finish. Lighter side of medium bodied, feels like the consistency of pulpy orange juice with low carbonation. Kind of watery and pretty light for a DIPA.

Overall it's good and certainly worth a try, though i'm not convinced all the choo choo hype train stuff is warranted.
Subsequent batches have been pretty variable in regards to quality.

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

4.09/5  rDev -1%

16 ounce can into a snifter. Had 5/31/17.

Pours a hazy apricot, with a one inch foamy head and a good amount of foamy lacing. Aromas of lots of bright citrus- grapefruit, orange, mango, guava, light lime, yeast, some pine, a little dank. The taste is less citrus and a little more tropical and resiny- grapefruit, guava, mango, stronger pine, more dank than the nose, light malt and yeast, a little lemon. Smooth, refreshing, somewhat creamy, a solid light to medium body, well carbonated.

A great and expressive aroma, very good flavor, an enjoyable and drinkable beer. Worth a purchase.

4.64/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The Galaxy Hops are explosive. I must say this is the best chicago galaxy hopped ipa I've ever had. The best Double Ipa by far.

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Has the appearance of a NE DIPA, but I thought the hop profile was a bit off... lots of rotten fruit with a heavy grapiness, and very astringent. Not bad, but not quite as crisp and clean as other NE beers I've had. Still an excellent beer.

4.42/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a one pint can on June 6, 2017. Canned on 05/16/17. Tasted in a Spiegelau IPA glass from a one pint can on March 13, 2018. Canned on 03/07/18.

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 3/7/18. I've had 2 previous batches of this beer in the past and this one blows those away. Hop Butcher seems to be dialed in as of late. This one pours like peach juice. Aromas explode out of the glass. If you've ever smelled Galaxy hop pellets, then you have a good idea on what this beer smells like. Huge pineapple and passion fruit. Smells amazing from the first sip to the last. The flavor is right on par with the nose. I get a "sharpness" from Galaxy that I really like, and this beer has it. It seems to me that they might've adjusted water profile on this. There's a lingering minerality here that works for this beer. Bitterness is there. It's juicy but it finishes dry. Mouthfeel is creamy and round, but not quite full. This batch is absolutely delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.49/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

L- Opaque amber color. Thin, white head with tiny bubbles. Lots of lacing.

S- Fruity, sugary smell. Strawberry, peach, a bit of guava. Tiny bit of booze.

T- Similar fruitiness to the smell. Not as prominent as the smell. A hint of bitterness. Finish is a little odd when a slight alcohol taste comes in. Belgian IPA-like.

F- Fairly thick for an IPA. Smooth.

O- Can't quite decide how to rank this. It's different and enjoyable, but doesn't quite reach the "great" level for me. I'd like it to be a hair less sweet, and the finish was a little weird for me. Then again, I drained both of my cans pretty fast, so they're doing something right. This was batch 2 by the way, sounds like batch 1 was better.

Galaxy Bowl from Hop Butcher For The World