Blackened Voodoo Lager | Dixie Brewing Co.

Blackened Voodoo LagerBlackened Voodoo Lager

Louisiana, United States

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 08-10-2001

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Basic lager nothing new here at all

1.5/5  rDev -55.5%

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%

1.75/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

smelled and tasted bad. Drain pour.

1.77/5  rDev -47.5%

Picked up a single for 1.70 awhile back. Must admit I've been nervous to try this. Something about its appearance is off-putting.

Appearance - A very watery, mucky muck, bog appearance. Transparent brown with a thin mossy film over the top. A very bland and light consistency.

Smell - Smells a bit fruity. Heavy malt. Well, alright.

Taste - A very light and boring tasting beer. There is absolutely no body to this beer at all. It isn't terrible, but is surely isn't good. It is tasteless save for the bit of malty swill.

Mouthfeel - What mouthfeel? It tastes like water whether I swish it around in my mouth or leave it sitting behind and on my tongue.

Overall - This beer wasn't bad tasting like I expected. The problem is that it tasted like nothing at all. I feel like I am drinking uncarbonated flavored water.

1.85/5  rDev -45.1%

Not loving the taste, very different.. Kinda like a coffee.

1.92/5  rDev -43%

I was really hoping for the best for this beer. However, it just isn't for me. I am more of a hops person and this is 100% malt.

A - One thing going for this beer. Very nice looking. Beautiful Tootsie Roll brown with a huge head that lasts almost as long as the beer did....and that was a LONG time.

S - Burnt Carmel. Backwoods. Not that pleasant.

T - Yeah...purchased a 6 pack really hoping for something special. Saw it at a local shop and decided to try it out. Just not for me. Very malty....Period. Strong to the point of not liking it. I really wanted to. Burned carmel, hot tootsie roll taste. I think that either you will like this one or not like it...all depends on what you go for. Me....Not this beer.

M - Thin. Thick head. Bitter malt....but I like bitter hops. This doesn't have this.

D - No. Not for me. Will I drink the rest of my 6 pack.... of course but I will never purchase this again.

1.94/5  rDev -42.4%

Very dark amber, bordering on black. I must say that this has got to be some of the shittiest bottle art that I've ever seen, but a good pour makes up for that.

Smells overpoweringly of sweet fruit. Kind of like a dubble, only not complex: plums and raisins and nothing else.

Tastes very much like it smells. A natural sweetness, plummy. A strange solvent taste in the middle, leaving nothing at the back. Unbalanced.

Well, this little number turned out to be a waste of money. Tastes like a fruitcake, only less complicated.

1.95/5  rDev -42.1%

Deep blackish color, nice, almost-hoppy aroma. Tastes awful, it has a chemical taste like when you've been at the cleaners too long. Oily, clinging flavor that is not a pleasant hops-oil, but more of a sticky bad taste that just will not go away. As it warms up, it does not get any better. Pass it by.

2.03/5  rDev -39.8%

C. Pretty clear
H. Straight up brown, not black as the name claims.
N. Malty, hints of sweetness and toffee.

::I wake up in the morning, quite hungover, stumble to the coffee machine. Damnit there is coffee from yesterday...oh well, pour the coffee toss some ice on top and take a sip....I place the glass down and forget about it for about an hour. Come back it is not sort-a brownish since it is watered down, take a sip....and ahhh it taste just like Dixie Blackend Voodoo Lager.:: I Expected bigger and blacker (Warren Sapp like qualities)....but didn't get it (Steve Urkel like qualities). Ohh well. Safe to say that this will also be the last Dixie we try. If someone was to rebottle this with an Abita (another New Orleans brewery) bottle I don't think I would ever second guess where it came from. Weak try....nothing special here.

2.04/5  rDev -39.5%

This schwarzbier comes off like a malt liquor, minus the alcohol. None of the roast grain, coffee type bitterness, just malt, malt, malt. Appearance is also a muddy brown, not black. Terrible representation of the style.

Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.