Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager | Dixie Brewing Co.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo LagerDixie Blackened Voodoo Lager

Dixie Brewing Co.
Louisiana, United States

Style: Schwarzbier

Added by Bierman9 on 08-10-2001

3.4

Reviews: 396 | Ratings: 804
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium coppery amber. Thin fine off-white head dissipates to a thin film, decent lacing. Mild aroma of caramel and toasted malt, faint chocolate. Flavor is also mild; sweet and toasted malt, charred coffee, hint of chocolate. Finishes a bit abruptly with some astringency. Very subdued flavors, but what's there is sweet, well integrated and pleasant. Light bodied. I'm pleasantly surprised by this as I wasn't expecting much. I wish the flavor was more robust and had a better finish, but I'd try this again if it is available and I want a decent low ABV beer that is a bit on the sweet side.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

The pour was a coca-cola brown with some reddish highlights and an average sized (1-2 finger) light beige creamy head that diminished quickly down to just a thin film and a small foamy collar, which did create some excellent sheeting of lace.

The aroma was bold and roasty of a roasted caramel malt and a mild leathery yeast with notes of caramel, chocolate, a mild dark fruit and a bit of ash.

The taste was roasty, malty and mildly sweet with a hint of caramel from the start with the finish being about the same, but with a mild fruity presence and a touch of smoke at the end. The flavor lasted quite a long time after the swallow with a nice smoky/fruity taste left to linger on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was almost medium in body and a bit oily yet still rather creamy in texture with an almost prickly carbonation.

Overall very tasty and satisfying brew, one which had a nice bold roasty taste to it. Although I am not a big fan of this style, this one was quite enjoyable.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Reviewed from notes.

Poured out a coppery amber in color with partial haziness and a short collar of sand colored head. Smells like partially burnt stale coffee mixed with a roasted porter-like malt profile, no real hopping detected in the nose. I really wish the coffee aroma (and flavor) was fresher. Flavor has the aforementioned stale burnt coffee with a squeeze of prune puree and a strange sort of off-putting acidity that rises up with the strangely-sweet for the style finish. Body is relatively watery and thin. I'm not really a big fan of this one. Seems as though it could use more hopping or at least a lower acridity level.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter

A: opaque, amber with a tan half finger head that heads for the bayou. Good lacing.

S: Malt heaven. Leather, floral.

T: Clean; malty, with spices, caramel, toffee and apples. A smooth yet hard finish that doesn't offend. Slightly astringent.

M: Medium with great carbonation, cher.

O: This used to be my go-to beer whenever I was in New Orleans. Blackened Voodoo turned me on to craft beer. It's even better now than I remembered. Could it be brewing in Wisconsin while the brewery is being rebuilt? Whatever, I love that malty taste and long for more strolls down those French Quarter streets. This one definately goes into my rotation!

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from brown 12oz bottle without any bottling/serve by dates to a pilsner glass. I am unable to determine how old this bottle was as the guy at the store didn't have a clue when it arrived (real helpful, sorry).

A - The beer pours a deep dark brown mahogany color with a 1 finger white head. Decent retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is a blend of toasted malts, coffee, and toffee aromas. Not much in terms of hop character or noticeable alcohol character.

T - The beer starts sweet with a nice blend of the toasted malts and coffee, toffee flavors. Mildly bitter. The middle brings out a somewhat fruity flavor with a hint of alcohol warmth but is rather refined. A hint of chocolate. Finishes smooth with a slight bitterness and toasted malt flavor. I don't think it'd be far off to call this a thin version of a coffee stout, good.

M - Smooth light bodied beer with decent carbonation.

D - Good. I could drink this all day.

Reviewed on: 03-14-2011 12:48:41

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Given to me by a coworker who raves about it.

A - Pours a ruby mahogany brown with just about a half finger of light tan head. Hazy looking beer with not much carbonation evident.

S - Sweet and malty with a little bit of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruit. A little bit of brown sugar. Not much in the way of hops, at least in the nose.

T - Sweet initially with a nice roasted coffee flavor. A little bit of caramel and what I can only describe as a buttery flavor, like buttered sweet bread. There is some raisin/dark fruit in the finish, which is slightly dry and boozy. A little bit of earthy hops towards the end but not much to expand upon.

M - Carbonation is surprisingly spot on. This one is light bodied and easy to drink. Needs a little more umph in the body in my opinion.

O - A pretty tasty, sweet bread flavored ale. Not really dark enough to be a Schwarzbier in my book, but definitely unique and well balanced. This would make a great session beer for malt fans.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A - Issues forth a clear ruby brown. Aggressive pour yields almost zero head, however leaves a very tight white lacing of tiniest bubbles I have ever seen.

S - Caramel, roasted malts, and booze. Booze in the nose? From a 5% abv? Didnt think it was possible, but it's there.

T - Burnt grains, pumpernickel, ash, and sweetness in the form of molasses, toffee, black cherry, and plum. Decent flavor here and well blended. None of the flavors dominate. The overall result is a truly unique "sweet/burnt" flavor. Aftertaste carries for days. Really good.

M - Light bodied, almost to the point of being watery. Prickly carbonation. While it certainly might benefit from more fullness, the thinness makes for easy drinking. The feel definitely does not match the taste. A minor flaw, but a flaw nonetheless.

O - I really like this beer. Complex enough to keep you from getting bored, and drinkable enough to down a sixer. One of my "hey I'll just grab a sixer" beers. I'll be probably be drinking this every so often until the day they stop making it.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a clear reddish dark brown with quickly forming and fading head.

Smell is spicy, steely, with some light herbal notes. Sweetness enters with irony molasses and mild nuttiness.

Taste is built around malts but lacks complexity. Solid nuttiness works with light sweetness and light wash of bitterness. Finishes hidden lingering bitterness.

Light in body with medium carbonation. Good alternative from winter warmers as the style description indicates.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

976th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
12 oz

No bottle date
Was sitting in father in laws fridge. Fair game to me.

App- A muddled light brown with a dark amber bottom. Only a small 1/2 finger head that was a bit whitish brown in color but fast receding and did not leave cling or lace.

Smell- Not a whole lot here. You can tell its a bit of a smoky beer and has sweet malts behind it with a touch of peanuts.

Taste- A little bit roast, a little bit of smokiness to. Some of the sweetness with a little bit of plums comes on the final part of the sip. A little bit watery at points

Mouth- Light medium bodied with a subdued plum and smoke flavors. A little bit of the same of a light medium carbonation

Drink- I didnt remember having this one but I know I did. Came home and checked the speadsheet. Its gotta be the style. Just not a fan of smoke beers.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich, nutty brown hue with a clear body and a light effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam which dissipates somewhat quickly.

Smell: tart and grainy aroma with only a small hint of sweet malt and a hint of roastiness. Not as good as it could be, I think.

Taste: much better than the aroma lets on. Light but sweet malt with a nice, solid chocolatey roastiness. There's a little bit of unwelcome tartness toward the end and bitterness is relatively low, but this is a decently tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: light body but a relatively well-integrated carbonation leaves this beer rather creamy. Not too bad.

Overall: a decent, if not outstanding, schwarzbier. I don't see myself seeking this one out again anytime soon, but it isn't bad at all.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a solid dark brown with ruby highlights when held to light, tightly bubbled white head displays moderate retention and lacing. Smells of caramel and toffee with a hint of chocolate and smoke. Little to no hop presence. Taste is mostly sweet dark sugars with maybe a hint of chocolate. Little to no hop flavor. Medium body and level of carbonation with a bubbly sweet mouthfeel. I remember trying this 15 years ago in Texas and hating it, basically my palette wasn't ready for this. Now that it is ready I'm basically bored by this mediocre brew, not much has changed.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

A bottle of the brew even Katrina couldn't kill.

A: A crimson brown with a tan head.

S: An interesting sweet, nutty smell. Not quite like anything I'm used to.

T: All malt means it is bready and almost sickly sweet. A really unique drink that is monotone. It's flavor is the same through out and never changes. Unique, but a bit much and times.

M: A medium body that tingles the tongue.

O: Really interesting and unique, but not for those afraid of the strange, or afraid to do a little voodoo.

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Deep brown hue, not quite opaque but you can tell it is definitely not black, and not completely see through. A thin layer of off white bubbles form the head and dissipate quickly.

S - Roasty/nutty aroma dominates. Mostly a nutty brown ale type aroma mixed with roasted malts and yeasty breadiness.

T - Damn, the nutty flavor dominates like nothing else. Roasted malts are almost non-existant. I would guess this was a brown ale rather than a schwarzbier if I was tasting blind.

M - Medium bodied, lots of carbonation. Finish is slightly drying and sweet. The nutty flavor stays around forever.

O - Not sure if this is fitting of the style or not, but it was a good beer, I would get it again. just not sure if I would appreciate it if I were expecting something to style.

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviewed from notes. Bottle poured into pint glass, not much smell save for the malt. Pours a nice dark caramel color with little head that dissipates fairly quickly. Nice malty mouth feel with a kiss of hops and a decent smack of alcohol for a 5% alcohol by volume beer. Of the Schwarzbier style that I've had this is another good one though nothing to make me search it out specifically. Good stuff, easy drinking with a meal or as a session.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

This beer from a bottle poured dark and somewhat dirty , nice lace and head. I could instantly smell a nice robust malty fruity odor and little hop. The taste hearty,almost like nut brown ale. Zesty flavor,and still clean even though my eyes are telling me different. I would highly recommnend this beer to anyone! The only thing I would change is the label.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

Dixie Blackened Voodoo surprisingly is a very dark ruby red, with great clarity. A small whitish head forms and dissipates quickly with marginal amounts of slippery lacing.

The aroma is fresh, lightly malty with a hint of an earthy fruitiness.

Quite flavorful actually, similar to a sweetish brown ale. The malts are sweet, lightly roasted and light ripe plum/raisin fruitiness as well. Hop character is low though a bit of bitterness comes through in the finish.

The mouthfeel is light though a tad harsh and there is a touch of chalkiness.

Overall this beer has met and exceeded any expectations I had of it. Quite a decent dark lager I wouldn't turn down if offered one and I would even buy a six pack occasionally. I suspect this beer would be great with some spicy Cajun dishes!

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours a brown colour with a large fizzy beige coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some fairly good lacing on the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, grains, faint chocolate and caramel

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts mixed with grains/bread and some very light notes of chocolate and caramel. there is also some dark fruit flavour and a bit of a metallic taste. The beer finishes with a malty dark fruit sweet aftertaste.

Overall – Definitely a decent beer that was quite drinkable, however it just wasn't very exciting or memorable. The taste is well balanced and I wouldn't turn one away if offered.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from the bottle into a plastic cup. Despite the name it’s not dark at all. It reminds me of a light lager: light straw colored, light body, light aromas, really light all around but with this sweet finish to it. Not cloyingly sweet but definitely noticeable, dominating even. I could picture sucking down three or four of these on a steamy, seamy night. But for now I’ll stick to just one.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Poured from the bottle into a pilsner glass. Body is dark amber, with copper tones at the edges. A 1-finger ivory head settles on top, leaves behind decent, semi-thick lace.

S: Some caramel malt and a hint of nuttiness.

T: Follows the nose, more or less: caramel malt, a touch of hazelnut and roasted malt. Some florally hops and an ever-so-slight lemony bitterness at the finish, but this is a malt-centered beer.

M: Light in heft - a wee bit thin and watery, though I should remind myself this is a lager, after all. Carbonation is a tad bit light too.

O: This is highly drinkable - light in heft, but flavorful and balanced.

Notes: I was surprised to discover I'd never reviewed this beer before, as about 14, maybe 15 years ago, MRMOJORISIN used to show up at my apartment in Guilderland, NY, with loads of this beer. It was one of my earlier craft beers, and we used to drink plenty of it while listening to tunes, grilling and hanging out. Good times. Good beer.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a ??? glass at Bud’s Louisiana Café in San Diego (Kearny Mesa). Dark brown color. About an inch of head. Fairly light lacing, hardly any film on the sides.

Roasty malts led the sniff. Smelled like a dark amber, almost nutty. I had some cough syrup smell in there as well.

Tastes were caramel, amber and slight chocolate.

Medium body. Moderate carbonation. A fairly clean aftertaste.

A pretty good beer overall, but not as good as the other kind I had (Abita Turbodog).

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

In a pint glass a nice dark copper color with a thin off white head rises and slowly fades.

The aromas are excellent. There is a very light floral note, but the sweet malts and nutty caramel are much bolder. Next time I'll try in a snifter. The aromas are wonderful.

Black lagers are new to me (or I to them) so I wasn't sure what to expect here. There is a very pleasing malty body with some breadiness. The fade is warm with some very soft hops.

The feel is very well rounded with a light silkiness and nice carbonated prickle.

Surprised by this highly drinkable, light-yet-malty beer. Very similar to a brown ale in my opinion. I am an instant fan of this brew.

3.89/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: The beer is a dark amber body, almost mahogany. It looks really nice. Ruby highlights in the glass. There is barely any head on the pour, and no lace sticking around after the beer drops down.

Smell: The head is much like a brown ale. There is definite bread malt here, also a biscuit quality. There is also a strong caramel malt, and almost brown sugar aroma to the beer. It is not a big nose, but still very pleasant.

Taste: The malts are very much like the nose. The sweet and sour bread malt flavor is still here. There is also the caramel malts sweetening things up. However, the brown sugar scent is not here. It has been replaced with a roasted malt, not like coffee though, almost like a smoke. Very little trace of any bitterness.

Mouth feel: The offering is just a little watered down. This lager would have hit it on the head if the mouth feel had been bigger and chewier.

Overall: It is a good lager, and took me wholly by surprise. I still feel like Voodoo has missed an opportunity to make a a truly fantastic brew. The flavors should be just a bit big bigger, and so should the mouth feel. A little less wimp, and this would have been a, AHEM, magical beer.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

Reviewed from notes had at a local restaurant.

appearance: dark brown with orange hue and a 1 finger off white head

smell: caramel, malts, roast,

taste: roast, caramel, malts

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: not a bad beer enjoyed with my Louisiana creole food.

Cheers,
The CPJ

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

It has a roasted malt aroma. There is a nice off-white head over a brown body. The flavor is strong with roasted malt with a chocolaty bitterness and sweet toffee tones. The aftertaste is somewhat metallic. There is a bit of carbonation burn to the body but not much. For the most part the mouthfeel is thin. I think this is one of their better beers.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked this up at Buy Rite in Jersey City, not having had anything from Dixie in a long time. This beer was pretty light when it came to taste and mouthfeel, but wasn't a bad choice for the slightly cooler weather that we had this week.

The pour to this was alright, with a pretty clear reddish-brown hue and head that swelled mightily before settling down. No lacing to be seen and the aroma was that of dark fruit and roasted caramel. More of the latter was in the taste, combined with a charcoal that that gave way to just a hint of caramel and the dark fruit int he aftertaste. Carbonation was light here and the consistency reminded me of flat soda, with a butterscotch stickiness and mouthfeel to it. This went down easy and almost didn't feel like beer at all.

Even the alcohol barely seemed noticeable here. I'm sure it could be felt after a few of these were downed but as for one bottle, the flavors and attempt at spice are pretty mellow, as well as all that one will feel from this. While this isn't anything outstanding, it's crafted well enough that even the novice beer drinker will enjoy this, as this beer is a textbook example of the style.

Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.