Blackened Voodoo Lager | Dixie Brewing Co.

Blackened Voodoo LagerBlackened Voodoo Lager

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by Bierman9 on 08-10-2001

View: Beers
4.8/5  rDev +42.4%

First had a VooDoo in the early to mid 90's, then could not find it anywhere, until happening upon it recently at my local distributor.

Brought home a 6 pack and BAM! Needless to say, I went back and bought a case. Great taste without much of an aftertaste. Nice dark color and pours great into a pint glass. The inviting aroma will make your mouth water before it hits your lips.

Try it, you'll like it!!!

3.7/5  rDev +9.8%

I wasn't extremely impressed with this beer. By all means it was an above average beer here in Lawrenceburg, IN! Our local selection is growing but it still isn't as large and accessible as I'd like it to be. I had this one about 2 nights ago while watching some old episodes of Dexter... it was good but I found myself wanting to reach in the fridge and get something like an Edmund Fitzgerald or Sierra Nevada Stout... both which aren't in this line but still all the same this beer just lacked in taste compared to what I have been drinking.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Kind of like the lager version of Abitas Turbodog but with a lighter body and even sweeter finish. Not a bad beer and very food friendly but not really up the standards of todays craft beers. Seems a little weak and simple but still a very drinkable beer

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Wifey picked these up from Best Yet Market..One of the few supermarkets that has a craft beer selection.

The pour resulted in a half inch head that fell to a partial cover within a minute or so..Nice clear ruby brown hue with several fine streams of bubbles rising. Pretty nice.

Smelled slightly yeasty and I could tell it was going to be a little sweet going by the aroma.

Taste was slighty sweet and had a slight metallic taste near the finish. Not a heck of alot going on here. Leaves a little coating in the throat.

Mouthfeel is just north of thin, carbonation is light.

A quite drinkable beer that doesn't excite in any way.

3.96/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a very dark brown. Not impenetrable, but very dark for a lager. Little head for my pour.

S - tea with a little bit of a chocolate aftertaste.

T - same as the smell

M - almost like water or a very light ale

D - very drinkable if you don't get tired of the flavor

3.06/5  rDev -9.2%

The beer pours a hazy chocolate-brown color with a tan colored head. The aroma is tea, earthy hops and toffee. The flavor is toffee, chocolate, earthy hops and dirt. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Not a bad beer, but nothing too terribly exciting.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Ive had this a few times, mostly because it is one of the best beers thats readily available in Huntington, WV. My girlfriend and I had to fall back on this stuff many times while she was living down there. I always assumed it would be categorized as a schwartzbier. Honestly, I dont know the difference.

A- A deep, roasty red beer. A small head that is nothing special

S- Roast is there but light, sweetness from malts is there but light, hops are there but light. Really it smells pretty light and ordinary.

T- Its really pretty balanced, like you would expect from any German lager. A good balance between roasted malts and hops. A fair amount of spice but fruitness is low.

D- This does drink pretty easily. I used to have 4-6 of these in one night.

I didnt even know we could get this in Columbus, really I dont care too much. I wont be having this much anymore that I dont have to go to Huntington so much nowadays.

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with no lot code or expiration date. The pour is a good looking amber-brown with almost no head. The aroma tends to be sweeter with an emphasis on the malts. The taste is also more malty than anything else with a notable sweetness as well as a few raisins in the mix. Not bad and it seems to be true to the style.

2.66/5  rDev -21.1%

I really wanted to like this one since the name sounds really cool, but I'm afraid that only true fans of the style would find this one exceptional.

A- nice color to be sure. Dark, reddish hue but little head after a medium aggressive pour into a pint glass. Little lacing, frothy remnants on the top of the beer

S - decent roasted barley scents mixed with some muted cooking spices, perhaps clove but not too much so.

T - I was immediately made aware of a very complex barley presence but it went a little awry later on as it developed a taste not too different from Tab. Remember Tab? Like the first diet soda I think? Pink can? Tasted like a flat Tab by the time I was done.

M- nothing too remarkable. Low carbonation and a touch dry.

D - not unless I become a fan of the genre, whatever that may be.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

A dark appearance, not quite black, but close enough to call black, didn't see anything in terms of head or lacing, carbonation seems under a desired level. Aroma was licorice.

Taste, thinner than it looks. Light on palate, yet fuller taste profile, resonates on the tongue without beating it up. Has a very thin porter taste to it. Would never guess it was a lager. A little bit of sweetness with it. Cool artwork, but the impression the beer leaves makes me think this is more of a gimmick or touristy thing.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this before at Lafitte's in the Quarter when I went to NOLA for Halloween last year...figured I'd have another one & review it. Bottle into a pint glass.

A - pretty dark cherry red. Nice head that sticks around in a rim while you're drinking the beer.

S - toasty malts...toffee, caramel, chocolate. Could have been more interesting...was a little too subtle for me.

T - rich malty. Ahh, love malts. Like it smells. Not too sweet, just a touch of bitterness. On for the style.

M - medium-bodied. Carbonation lightens it up a bit, but it's not distracting.

D - like whoa. Could have another right now. If you're in New Orleans, try it out!

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A - A nice dark cherry reddish brown color with a small head but some sticky lacing.

S - Rather tame smell with some malt coming through.

T - Good roasted malt taste with just a bit of chocolate in there. Really subtle again but nice.

M - Mild carbonation. Medium body.

D - High. I enjoyed this one. Have a few.

3.6/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into weiss bier glass.

A - Nice dark brown color, color of roasted almonds, red when held to the light. 3/4 inch perfect sized head, a bit tan with a hint of red. Bubbles slowly move to the top of the glass, while lacing resides on the sides of the glass. Head seems to dissipate a bit, but stays till the end of the beer.

S - Smells good, what I would expect from a dark lager. Hops and malts are present in the aroma, mostly hops.

T - Taste is subtle, but good. Notes of coffee up front, then comes the sweet caramel. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be, has more of a roasted taste to it. Nothing jumps out in the tatse, but it settles nice on the palate. No bite whatsoever.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty original for a lager. Very light for a dark beer, and as I expected, very smooth. Very bubbly and carbonated, but the bland taste takes away the bite and leaves a crisp dry finish.

D - Drinkability is surprisingly very good. It's unbelievably smooth for a dark lager, and the lack of power in the taste keeps you craving more. I'm drinking one now before a chicken and potato dinner, and I'm sure I'll be through the 6-pack by the end of the night.

I was suggested this beer by a friend's brother, and by a Manager at my local grocery. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was so I'm glad I picked up a 6-pack.

2.9/5  rDev -13.9%

what tasted like a lager with added sweet syrup. looked exactly like coca cola. even down to the dissipating head. taste of sugar and roasted sugar cane. had a added after brewing quality to it. actually even tasted like coca cola. some fruit but mostly apple earth being drown out by syrup.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Pours to a dark, murky reddish-brown with a miniscule tan head. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Smells of sweet malts, with faint hints of hops.

Taste: Fairly bland up front, that continues to an intense, long-lasting toffee, nutty finish. Roasted malts and butter make an appearance in the finish, however hops seem to be absent.

Mouthfeel: Fairly crisp and light for a darker beer which is nice.

Drinkability: The butter and nut flavors seem to dominate the beer for me, and make it fairly unpleasant to drink very much of.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear, burnt sienna color with a tight white head that leaves nice rings of lacing.

Smells of some toasted malts.

Tastes of the toasted malts. Notes of brown sugar and caramel come through. A bit light in the flavor, could be a bit bolder even though the style is meant to be an easy drinker. Flavors fade quickly.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of carbonation.

2.8/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've had black lagers but this is a black hole, perhaps technically a lager in how it was made but more like a light porter in taste. Smells of chocolate, toffee, tastes exactly the same. Meh, maybe it's unique but I don't get what this beer is trying to be.

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

I poured this in a pint glass.

Translucent dark cherry with a good layer of foam. The smell was not very strong but had a good aroma of malts and toffee. The taste was surprisingly good. It had a solid malty foundation with hints of caramel. It was on the lighter side of the "dunkel" spectrum. It was very easy to drink and I would encourage people to try it. This is a beer I would buy again.

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

A: Opening the bottle and pours...very black in colour but not quite stoutish...nice layer of foamy creamy head lacing around edges.

S: Nice aroma of licorish and malts smell very muich like a stout almost Guiness like.

T: Very rich and malty tasting ... flavors abound, coffee , roasty a bit worty with carbonation of coarse , hints of nutty.

M: Nice carbonation, medium body, slighly warming after taste.

D: Very, Very drinkable a nice brew which even though ABV is 5% still a bit high for a session for me but could enjoy it many times over. Would be really great on cold winter night, sitting around the fire in the fall.

4.22/5  rDev +25.2%

This thing smells a lot stouter'n it looks. It's got that Guinnes-esque stout scent to it, but it looks lighter than the "blackened voodoo" title implies. It's not near as thick as the scent or the name leads one to believe, which adds points for drinkability. I could definitely have a few of these. It's surprisingly smooth, an excellent darker beer that won't give you that 5-pounds-of-cake bloated feeling. Excellent beer.

Another fine product of Dixieland.

3.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured bottle to pint glass.

The beer looks pretty good. It has a nice reddish, burnt auburn color to it. I expected it to be blacker from the name so this was a surprise. The head stuck around for a bit but has since gone away.

It smells like rich roasted malts, but has a faint hop aroma to it. There is almost a buttery smell about the beer.

The beer has a very rich malt backbone that is not very well balanced out in my opinion. I can't really taste much of any bitterness to this beer at all. There is a somewhat harsh mouthfeel to this beer. It is very crisp and snappy at the end, which I don't particularly like.

I like this beer. I think it is very drinkable. I wish it were a bit softer than it is in the mouthfeel and taste, but I do like it.

3.68/5  rDev +9.2%

Not nearly as good as I had expected (and had been led to believe), but still a good find by domestic standards, and I'm glad to help the people and businesses of New Orleans .. at least there is little aftertaste with this beer, and it's not bitter.

Given a choice, I'd pick Negra Modelo (from Mexico) over it, but at least now I've tried this one and urge you to do the same.

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours into a pint glass a deep red-orange with a creamy white head that quickly thins to a cap.

The scent is a pronounced roasted grain, sweet caramel scents, and some sweet fruitiness.

The roastiness is there in force in the taste as well, as well as an underlying sweet and malty backbone. Very pleasant.

Medium-bodied with a syrupy thick sensation after the swallow. An overall very good Dunkeles.

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Pint glass pour and I am met with a flat cola brown ale with a white foamy head which starts strong but dissipates rather quickly. The aroma is a malt bomb explosion. Very malty with some hints of roastiness and some faint citrus. Very surprised by the clean, crisp, malty taste. I was expecting something rather drab but this has some pretty nice flavor. The malt is there and there is some leather and black coffee characteristics. Mild carbonation. At 5% this could be rather enjoyable session beer with some spicy foods or a nice big pretzel and schnitzel. Overall I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. Not the greatest beer out there, but worthy of an individual try.

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%

A: dull, murky brown, not much head. just a wisp of foam.

S: smells like melted chocolate and toffee and bacon for some reason. A bit unpleasant.

T: Not quite up there with the German dunkels. Mild milk chocolate and raisins. Nothing complex at all.

M/D: Bubbly & thin, but quaffable.

Blackened Voodoo Lager from Dixie Brewing Co.