Cannons | LIC Beer Project

LIC Beer Project
New York, United States
licbeerproject.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

Imperial IPA double dry-hopped with Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, and Amarillo.

Added by Britt on 01-05-2017

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

love this one...love the new label too. deep hazy orange yellow brown w a frothy head. deep hops. thick and chewy but still has a juiciness. make no.mistake...definitely a double. rock n roll in the end.

4.14/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.79/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

Great tasting fruty and crisp. GREAT summer beer!

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Traded for this beer, as it sold out quite early on the day of it's release. Most of LIC's beers have been solid, and quite enjoyable and this was no exception as it went down smoothly, happily, and quite easily. Just a bit too sweet for my tastes, this was not the smoothest of sippers but there was plenty to savor here as this was in line with everything else that I had from them in recent months!

The pour to this was solid as the beer had a hazy apricot hue to it with plenty of head and wonderful, soapy rings that were left behind once I started to work my way through it. Incredibly sweet in the nose, with plenty of candied sugar, sherbet, and crystalline fructose in the nose. This sweetness resumed in the taste as this felt like a dessert beer laced with orange zest, juicy hops, and sticky resin that held everything together. I almost had the feeling that I was eating cotton candy when I enjoyed this beer as my gut reaction told me that this needed more hops and citrus notes and not a shot of water as a chaser.

Like a good birthday cake, this put a smile on my face but couldn't be enjoyed by itself. The alcohol was well-hidden and a slight onion-and-chive spiciness came in once the liquid went down but overall, this had so much going for it including an expansive hop profile and murky aftertaste that had me wanting for more. Not a typical IPA, I enjoyed this as a beer not quite like any other and one that helped to elevate LIC's profile. Worth a go once as a odd dessert offering, more than anything else...even thought it lacked a date on the bottom of the can.

4.69/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes on with a creamy and pillowy body with flavors of pithy grapefruit, pineapple, citrus creamsicle, with a pithy bitterness and mint and pine towards the finish.

3.79/5  rDev -8%

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

1.4/5  rDev -66%

I have heard that LIC has had some QC control issues...I am assuming I am the victim of said such QC issues, especially considering the previous two glowing reviews. I do not in any way mean to detract from the previous to reviews of this beer. I am only reviewing the one can of this beer that I had. I have no doubt that there are many, many happy customers who have purchased this beer. However, I think it is important to catalog such a poor experience with the hope that the brewery will correct the issues in the future.
Look: brown dirty dish water, however Cannons does have a nice looking head, tight carbonation, and good retention. But really, this beer is brown and murky...
Smell: damp? malty. faint aromas of something that is fighting to be dank, or is that just dampness?
Taste: oh my. malt. no bitterness, no fruit, no hops, no, no, no...
Feel: well this is ok, I suppose...full bodied, decently carbonated...I don't know.
Overall: I swear I am not trying to be a troll. I have had very, very good beers from LIC including SAMO (which was great) and several good cans of Party Crasher. In addition I had a 4 pack of pile of crowns last fall and it simply floored me, FANTASTIC. However this can (and some cans of party crasher I have had) suffered from serious quality control flaws. Bottom line, LIC get it together and you could be the best brewery in NYC.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast