Blackberry Porter | Cannery Brewing Company

Cannery Brewing Company
British Columbia, Canada
cannerybrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Thornless Blackberry Porter is the new name for the beer previously known simply as Blackberry Porter. The 6% abv beer inside the bottle remains the same, though, and has the following description:
Five specialty malts and three superior hop varieties have been carefully chosen from the Pacific Northwest, the U.K. and Europe. The malted barleys and hops create a rich, traditional porter. The addition of all natural pure blackberry provides an exciting complexity to this easy sipping wonder.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-21-2003

1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

650ml bottle poured into a pint glass. ABV 6%.

A - Poured a dark brown with hints of purple. 1cm head. Some lacing.

S - Blueberry muffins and a side of coffee. Smells delicious but it doesn't smell like beer.

T - Blackberries and toasted grains. This is way too fruity.

M - Medium-light body, medium-light carbonation, fruit juice finish.

O - There's no way I could drink this. Drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

2.82/5  rDev -25.4%

While visiting Vancouver, I decided to sample some of the local beers. This beer had a nice look and smell of blackberry and porter, but I was very disappointed by the burnt taste. Some of the other reviews mentioned this, but I felt that the burnt flavor overpowered the rest of the beer and as such the beer lost all balance. Perhaps it was simply this batch? Still, I'm a fairly regular porter drinker and I was disappointed.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

Clear, very dark brown with ruby (nearly purple) highlights. A short cap of fine, tan foam emerged from the pour and left behind generous lacing as it fell. Strong berry aroma, very sweet smelling, with notes of malt and dark grains in the background. Definitely on the thin side, both malt and body. Berry dominates the flavour, but there's a dry harshness that appears part way through that's not very pleasant. I wasn't very impressed, but my wife didn't mind it. Thanks wintermute!

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

My friend Jill picked this up for me at some point. Gotta love a friend who sees an interesting beer and just grabs it for you. Thanks Jill!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A very transparent brown pour yields a 1+ finger, medium-thinner looking, light tan head with good retention. Black body with next to zero carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a full wisp and clings to the top of the glass. A good wisp and ring remain the whole way leaving some decent lacing.

SMELL: Piles of blackberries. Heaps actually. Lighter notes of dark chocolate and roasted, smoky malt, but this is more about the blackberries. One dimensional, but still bold and interesting enough.

TASTE: Dark malts and blackberries. That’s basically it. Some light caramel and sweet malt at the finish, but very little bitterness as balance here. Pretty one dimensional. A touch of roasted and smoky malt with lots of bold blackberries linger on the palate. Flavorful, but very one dimensional.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Light on the palate but creamy enough as well, goes down smooth and finishes dry on the palate. Light, but decently creamy.

OVERALL: An enjoyable beer, especially on a hot summer’s evening, but definitely one dimensional. I wished they’d been able to mesh some other qualities from the base beer into the flavor profile as well. Some will love this the way it is, but I enjoy a little more complexity of flavor. That said, I quite enjoyed this one and would gladly have another. Thanks again for thinking of me Jill!

3.07/5  rDev -18.8%

Black beer with ruby highlights pours with a tannish, brown head the disappates quickly. The beer has a very heavy black berry aroma in the nose, kinda like a fresh fruit milk shake, overwhelming any presence of the multiple hops tauted on the label. A good solid malty base, but not much is added to the straight up syrupy fruit taste. The ingredients say fruit flavor, and that's what it tastes like--snocone porter. Not bad really, but the fruity isn't well integrated nor fresh, a personal pet peeve of mine for fruit beers. A light to medium body, a little of the lean and watery side. Still not a bad beer, just not great. Of the Cannery's I've had in tonight's sampling, it was the best. On tap, it might smooth a bit and be more interesting.

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

650mL bottle poured into a mug.
Appearance: Dark brown. White soapy head. Sparse webbed lacing
Smell: Blackberry pancake syrup. All I could smell was black berry and hops.
Taste: Benylin. That’s the first thing I thought when I took a sip. The blueberry was a bit too much and seemed to overpower everything else.
Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Hard to tell about the about much else. For me, the blueberry was just way over done.
Drinkability: Some really good ales come out of this brewery like their Anarchist Ale but this one just falls flat. Maybe if they cut back on the blueberries it would be better.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Not totally black, it had some definate brown notes, and the froth on top was salt and pepper.

Smell: Blackberry flavored bubblegum with a side of chocolate milk. Sounds worse than it was, but the fruit aroma seemed a little fake, but it was probably the lactic acid that gave it this characteristic.

Taste: A little thin on the malt side, but the fruit came out much better in the taste, and mixed with the cocoa it was like berries dipped in chocolate. A nice, light dessert Beer.

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

Tart, watery, not so enjoyable porter. Hey, just notvery drinkable. Too blackberry in aroma, and therefore I suspect artifical. Below average porter. May get through with a large multi-course meal.Bomber at Rudy's in Buffalo on trade with Tim Freely provided by Mustang3.

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours an opaque brown with thin off-white head. Spotting lacing around the glass. Smells strongly of the blackberry, without much else. Flavour has lots of blackberry sweetness, with perhaps some tart flavour. It has some of the porter characteristics I expect, but a little bit overwhelmed by the blackberry. I hope more of Cannery's beers find their way to the LCBO because I enjoyed the Maple Stout more when I had it last year.

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

a: thin head that lingers for a bit, looks like a typical porter. slight hint of purple. (3.75 I guess...)

s: blackberries are pretty straightforward, like a jelly or jam. some breadiness.

t: follows the nose, but more bready, a bit earthy

m: a little thin, medium carbonation. no alcohol at all.

o: im bored so i did a real review. picked this up today. guy at the store said this was a guilty pleasure and I love me some blackberry and some porters, but this just misses the mark for me. I was hoping for something a bit more complex. seems like more like a brown ale than a porter.

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured into DFH Signature Glass.

Saw this on here listed for the Fall release at the LCBO and immediately started to drool. Sometimes the anticipation is far greater than the reward. I haven't found a beer with fruit I haven't liked yet. This one unfortunately is the exception.

A- Murky opaque black pour, hints of barney purple; The color is actually like a blackberry. Half finger tan/purple tinged head. Lacing is very sticky good.

S- Blackberries galore! Almost like a jelly (not jam) Vanilla and roasted coffee added in for good measure. Quite overpowering fruit.

T- Blackberry, roasted coffee, vanilla, with a strange bitter aftertaste that I can only assume is the malts and hops mixed with the fruit. The blackberry subsides a bit as it warms further. All these things being said, I was finding my self choking down this about half way down the bottle. Not sure if it's the fruit or what it was but it was nearly impossible to finish.

M- Juicy from the fruits and chewy like a good porter.

D- IMO this should be sold in standard bottle size (12oz) there is so much fruit crammed into this that it really makes this more of a dessert offering than anything else really.

3.37/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Ruby black, only a little off-white head, little retention/lace.

S: Berries, bready malt.

T: I'm not usually impressed with fruit beer, but I like this. Slightly sweet, blackberry and molases, with a bittersweet, slightly chocolatey aftertaste.

M: Light to moderate body and carbonation.

D: Average. It's approachable, and not overbearing.

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

A very dark ruby colour with a thin off white head. Smells of sweet-sour blackberry with a hop presence kicking around. Tastes like blackberry and coffee right away that is rounded out with a bitter slightly sour hop presence. Light in terms of mouthfeel, was maybe a bit to fizzy for me. I would split a bomber with a buddy or two, I found the whole bomber to be a bit of a commitment on my own. This is not for me I don't think however, it really is a well made porter. This is the first offering I have tried from Cannery and I am interested in tasting some of there other stuff

3.44/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

Weird beer I must say the least. Pitch black beer with a white foamy head that quickly dissapear. She smells black berries with a great pitch of pepper, sweet malt flavours are present.

Taste is quite similar in experience as smelling it, the black berries takes over, followed by a pepper pinch, end with a shy notes of maltish flavours.

Big props to Cwrw for providing me a bottle.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours dark dark brown, not as black as some porters out there, as some light gets through. A thick, creamy tan head tops it off.

The smell isn't much to speak of. Roasted malt and sweet berry, with the berry dominating. Smells nice, but I was hoping for more.

The taste is an interesting mix of sweet, bitter and roasted flavours. Up front is the berry taste, sweet but mild. Next comes a touch of bitterness from the hops, and the lingering finish is like a non fruit porter with roasted coffee. While I'd say it is a better than average taste, it doesn't floor me.

Mouthfeel is medium to thin bodied with a light carbonation. Could perhaps use a bit more body to it, but otherwise it is what I'd expect for the style.

With the touch of fruit and mild flavours, this is a very drinkable beer. If the porter flavours were fuller, I think this could've been a great one. As it stands right now, it is a pleasing beer but not a world changer.

Blackberry Porter from Cannery Brewing Company