Paranoid Pale Ale | Mammoth Brewing Company

3.64 w/ 73 ratings
Paranoid Pale AleParanoid Pale Ale

Mammoth Brewing Company
mammothbrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-03-2004

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

2.17/5  rDev -40.4%

On tap at the Tioga Gas Mart in Lee Vining after an exhausting hike up Mt. Dana.

Amber with a beige head,nice retention and lacing. Nose has a lot of crystal malt, some citrus hops moderate sweetness. Palate opens with a blend of caramel and chalky hops low bitterness and flavor, this is rather mediocre. Medium light in body moderate carbonation, the finish is poor with mild sweetness and lacing in hop character. I didn't finish this.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%

2.68/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

06/18/09- Received from a friend.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness info. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Orange-amber colored pour. Decent 3/4 inch large bubbled full head. Leaves some lace spotting behind.

Smell- Mostly some off lightly stale malt nose. A few fruity and pine hops mixed within.

Taste- Think this one has past it's prime. Significantly stale toasted caramel malt flavor..a bit cardboardy. Hops are overmatched and have probably faded away. What is there is mildy fruity and very lightly bitter.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation level is fine, but the aftertaste is not one to write home about.

Drinkability- Drained this one after half a glass. May try again in the future if I know I am getting a fresh one...maybe on tap if I ever see it.

2.89/5  rDev -20.6%

I can't believe I'm doing this...reviewing a beer from my cell phone. Can't help it. I'm here at mammoth mountain...decided to drive up with my brother last night at 2am. Got here at 6. Crashed the car into a pole when the car skidded out.
I wish I could say that's the only struggle I had but it hasn't been. We came here to ski with two friends of my brothers-both of whom are on the us ski team. I'm on 0 sleep, hungover, and haven't skiid in two years. Can't keep up...
Time for a beer.

A: pours a golden amber with a thick frothy head.

S:very typical west coast pale here.piney citrus nose and certainally the cascade comes through.

T:there isn't really too much to this beer. A slightly bitter finish but otherwise its boring. Watery even.
Too sweet.

M: the mouthfeel is very light, but not at all crisp. I'm tired.

D: ehh. I'm tired.

Just to start off, I am really pulling for this brewing company, they are just coming off of thirteen years of brewing and they are located really close to where I live. I have tried some of their other brews and they were okay but then there was this one.

When I poured it I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. It was really light and golden and I could immediately smell something sweet. I gulped even harder when the head came to about three fingers and was pitch white and frothy like a dog with rabies. It was transparent and had a medium gold color.

The smell was good, for a fruity beer. I could smell the citrus and even some really fine hint of honey. I really don't care for fruit and honey, except for desert.

The taste was like driving on a cobblestone road on a bicycle. At first it was okay and I thought that I was going to make it until...BAM! Sweetness disaster. I got through the whole beer but I had to have some crackers with it.

I am not going to just bag on this beer forever so I will say some positive things about it. It smelled really good, like this one candle I used to have. The head was frothy and sticky, I usually like beers like that.

Overall I will never buy this beer again and will not recommend. Hopefully Mammoth Brewing Company will do better next time.

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%

3.13/5  rDev -14%

Dark orange to amber in color with a fair sized cream colored head. Decent retention and a few spots of lace. Smells of much earthy grain, almost peanut buttery, some earthy hops present. Tastes of earthy malts with a fair hop balance. The flavor is quite dominated by earthy malts and not really what I would think of us a proper pale ale. Full bodied for a pale ale with a medium carbonation.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.35/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I don't think I've had a beer be so inconsistent. There's times I've loved this and times its been garbage.

Pours the standard copper appearance, 1/2" white head. Aroma can pop with dry hops, or reek of wet cardboard like paper and wood notes.

Sometimes its an good pale ale, other times its below average. Weird thing is the tap lines at the brewery have been so contaminated, its been worse to drink it at the source. Bottle dating nonexistant. You really take your chance on these. Ideally, you'll get a nice toasted pale and crystal malt beer paired with some C hops for a light bodied refreshing experience with solid bitterness and hop flavors pushing the pine.

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%

Wow, maybe this is a less than ideal bottle v. having it on tap, but I've had it in bottle before, and don't recall it being this pedestrian.

Well, I've still got 5 more, let's hope this was just a bummer beer in the 6er. The hop quality is gone, its just bitter, but not cloying. Boy, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come every other time I try this stuff. Its almost beer fest time, Mammoth is usually at a few of them, I guess I'll have to wait and find out.

Edit: Oh yeah, that's right, I bought this at Bevmo (likely expired). Well, damn. What is disappointing is that I've had this beer at times when it has been very good. But that's once in a (well I don't wanna say blue moon) . . . you know where I'm going with this. This score is cumulative.

3.41/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Morgan for this one!

A: Pours an orange color with a a large 2.5 finger head that dissipates slowly leaving some splotches of foam on top. Thin lacing forms around the glass.

S: Very basic pale ale aroma, some faint citrus and pine mixed with some grainy malt and a bit of caramel.

T: Grainy malt up front with some faint pine, but very weak. Some lightly toasted malt dominates the flavor profile.

M: Light to medium bodied.

O: Not sure on the age, but a bit weak overall. Would have liked a but stronger hop presence.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

Mammoth Paranoid Pale ale is a tasty treat hooked up from my buddy Martin out west. Thank you, sir! It's brewed at an elevation of 8,000 feet, so I wonder if this tastes different at sea level.

Either way, it's nice. A pretty appearance, lace and deep rich caramel hues through the filtered beer. The smell is indistinct with a bit of pine hops poking through. The taste is overall roasty. It's a bit weird character for a pale, but not unwelcome. It starts with crisp hops, citrus/pine, follows with the malt that's like burnt sugar, and finishes with water.

Overall I'm happy to have a pale ale that I can drink with dinner, not worry about a bomber at 5.5% alcohol by volume, and not have to pay too much attention to "pick up notes of elderflower".

After all, this is a beer.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%