1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

IPA 395 | Mammoth Brewing Company

Style: American Imperial IPA

None provided.

Reviews by Douglas14:
2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

I don't know what to say about this beer other than that I am really confused.

The beer pours a golden color with a very nice, thick head that leaves good lace. The smell is of fresh hops and herbs, with a very strong perfume essence...almost to the point of overbearing, but I think it is welcoming because it is stronger than any other IPA i have had.

Now for the taste; wtf? Whoa, I was completely thrown off and, unfortunately, turned off by this beer. I think the sage and juniper flavors are way too overpowering and takes away form the underlying IPA style. It's as if sage perfume was dumped into the beer. The sage and juniper really doesn't hit you until you swallow, then the essence arrives very strongly. In my opinion, this much herb flavor isn't a good match for a bitter, hoppy, beer.

If you love sage, then this is your beer. It's definitely worth trying just so you can see what it is like, but I will definitely stay away from this one.

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Can a beer improve depending on the location where it's consumed? I've had this somewheres in the bay area, probably purchased at a bevmo, and it wasn't anything memorable. But recently I had a bottle of 395 IPA on the deck of the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining, just 100 yards or so away from highway 395 itself, overlooking Mono Lake at dusk with wild buffalo meatloaf for dinner. The gate to Tioga Pass just opened earlier in the week and Mt. Conness, tomorrow's destination, was still loaded with snow. The sage and juniper aroma of the beer mixed with the scent of sagebrush on the air with each sip. This beer isn't a hop bomb altogether, there's enough malt to sink your teeth into. The Eastern Sierra is some amazing land and on that evening this was the perfect beer. Is this what the French mean by terroir?

A big thanks to DarthKostrizer for this extra. Cheers!

Appearance – Pours a rather dark cloudy orange color into my tulip. About a finger of tan head is achieved that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Pine, hops, spices, herbs, mint, floral aromas, and malty backbone.

Taste – I tasted this without reading any reviews. The first thing that came to my mind was mint (which I am a huge mint fan so this intrigued me). I will admit, this beer states it is brewed in winter so I’m not sure how fresh this is. That said, this does not really remind me of a DIPA. It does still have some hop characteristics, however, it is more sweet now, like a barelywine. However, I don’t know, it works? I am really enjoying the spices/mint that is intermixed within this beer, and the more sweet backbone. It’s working for me…

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Honestly, I’m not sure what to think. For a DIPA, it is bad. But for whatever I’m drinking, it’s not that bad. If you gave this to me and said it was supposed to be a DIPA I would laugh – there really is not much here that would make me think that. However, if you said it was a fresher barlywine mixed with herbs and mint, I’d agree completely. I’m oddly enjoying this beer and would no joke like to have another one or two in order to age them to see if it becomes even more barleywine like as it progresses.

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark amber orange with a light short head that dissapates quickly.

Nose of pineapple, orange and sage.

Light carbonation with bit of a thin mouthfeel. Pleasant flavors grapefruit hops highlighted (if not overshadowed) by huge sage flavors with undertones of juniper. (Surprise..sage and juniper are used in the brew; it shows). Some flavors of orange and grapefruit.

Medium finish of sage. Nothing special. Likely no need to try again.

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

no freshness date. at fridge temp poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a dark red with a bit of orange. one finger of soapy off white head with pretty decent retention. quite a bit of sticky lace. slightly murky.

spices and a bit of honey sweetness at the forefront. a bit of cinnamon, herbal, floral, and some other christmasy spices. the aroma is almost identical to great lakes christmas ale.

the begining of the taste follows the aroma, a bit sweet with lots of spice. cinnamon, honey, christmasy spices. citrus, herbal hops with some decent bitterness. kind of a spicy almost chile like finish.

medium bodied, carb feels good for the style. some lingering hop bitterness, but not as much as you might expect in a double ipa.

very drinkable, was surprised that this was 8%. a very interesting take on such a popular style. reminds me of a hopped up version of great lakes christmas ale. i recommend you try this.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Review from 7/2011 notes. Poured into a tall cylinder glass. Pours a dark brown-orange amber, half finger of light tan head, moderate lacing. Aroma of hops, sage. Very aromatic and appealing. Taste is light malt, dry hops, sage and juniper. Not very complex, but tasty and enjoyable. I liked this IPA.

3.91/5  rDev +4.5%

A - Amberish brown and murky - very odd for the style and dark for the style but it's brewed with Sage and Juniper so I'm guessing that has a lot to do with it. Decent head retention

S - Pine, Sage, citrus hops and smells pungent like this beer will be sticky and resinous. It's also earthy and it smells somewhat spicy as well.

T - Follows nose exactly but add a cinnamon component here is what I'm picking up as what I described as spicy in the nose. The malt bill backs this beer up pretty good to note, as it still holds it's hops well over a couple months without getting too sweet. The Sage is a bit overpowering however and could be toned down some while toning the citrus qualities up some. But that's just me. I think the brewer achieved what he was going for as this beer is supposed to showcase the sage and juniper along with the hops highlighting HWY 395. They are all there.

M - All flavors molded well into a resinous and sticky mouthfeel which I like in my DIPAs. Sagish Dank.

D - Solid - not too hard to polish off a bomber.

I recommend this beer as a must try even if just once as this is probably the most unique twist on the style I've had from a Cali DIPA. Enjoyable. If you don't like Sage, you won't like this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

You could say this really does smell like the Sierras with all the pine, sage, and juniper. Very attractive coppery orange color in the tall Belgian glass. Plenty of foam that lasts well. Quite fragrant with the woodsy and resiny smells.

This is quite malty but not overly sweet. Pungent is the word you are looking for here. Still it's sippable, if a little intense. Scratchy bitter notes with hops and that distinct juniper bitterness. Piney and resiny. It reminds me of the spruce-flavored beers, but way beyond. There is some hot orange marmalade and a very bitter aftertaste.

This is an interesting variation on the usual DIPA styles. Intense and hard to drink very much, but it's a unique flavor mix in my experience. From the 22 oz bottle purchased at Bine & Vine in San Diego.

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Damn Mammoth makes some good hoppy beers! This one is a good shade of brown on the pour. Aroma is amazingly piney. Its like the Tahoe forest or Yosemite up in a 22oz bottle!

Taste = exquisite. More pine, still a good amount of the citrus hops. Hops dominate, despite the dark appearance and toasting of the malt here.

Mouthfeel, good, but could have been higher if not for the tendency of the beer to seem a little flat down the line. Very drinkable, but you have to watch out, this can be drank a little quick for an 8%

Really important to get this one fresh, even just a few hundred miles from the source, I've come across some compromised bottles I wouldn't rate nearly this high.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

1.29/5  rDev -65.5%

First off let me say I bought a two dollar pint of this beer. It may have been a little old coming out of the keg but I doubt that is the reason for how poorly this beer tastes.

Appearance: Amber in color, much more of a red ale or amber ale look. Head dissipated quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: Ummm...menthol cigarettes or some sort of skunky mint/dirt taste. Very unpleasant.

Taste: Even more unpleasant than the smell. It is like liking an ashtray.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation was fine and it finished as smooth as a horrible beer can finish.

Overall: This beer gave me a headache about 5 sips in. Avoid at all costs.

4.59/5  rDev +22.7%

Source/Serving: 12 oz. bottle

S: Juniper is the most forward with a soft, green herbal (thyme, oregano) character provided by the sage and hops, which blend nicely together and make you feel like you are in a forest. Solid malt backbone with notes of caramel and semi-ripe red fruit. A touch of alcohol even is its only slightly warm, but its very clean and works well with the juniper.

T: The juniper imparts an earthy/twiggy, somewhat medicinal/herbal note, that is prevalent up front. The slightly drying effect of juniper along with moderate, but firm, bitterness gives this brew a certain stark appeal and on the bitter side from the get-go. However, as you acclimate, the front side reaches a nice balanced sweet-bitter contrast. I'm a sucker for juniper, so I like it a lot and think its very drinkable, but it could be too much for some. The middle flavors up the bitterness a bit more so that its solid, especially for a DIPA, but never too much. The bitterness has an earthy, treebark, almost black pepper character from the juniper, which I like. Moderately high carbonation and light acidity keeps things bright, which plays off the heavy juniper notes well. Hop flavors come through and I really enjoy the unexpected flavor that the sage adds, melding with herbal, peppery, piney, resiny hops to create something unique and enjoyable. Hints of flowers, sap, resin, and cucumber. The body of this is a little heavy for my tastes given the dry, stark, intensity of flavors, which impacts drinkability to some extent even with the slightly high carbonation as its quite 'full'. Finish lingers long with a touch of bitterness on the tongue, lip-sticking thick sweetness, a more herbal/medicinal juniper edge, pepper, and light hoppiness.

Notes: I love juniper and this is well done, and I love unique hop flavors which this brew does excellently by including sage. So, I love the unique flavors and the firm bitterness is on point for my tastes.

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

I picked this up at the Bevmo in Fairfield.

Appearance- dark amber color, nice looking head

Smell- lots of citrus hops

Taste- piney hops, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I was really impressed with this beer. It had that hop bite that I love so much and soothes me. Awesome beer

4.42/5  rDev +18.2%

I tried this at MBC, and have bought a growler to review. Again, I really enjoy this brewery, so take this review with that in mind.

The beer pours a strong, even, off-white head with a reddish color and incredible pine/sage/juniper smell. The smell reminds me of the high desert when it rains. The smell is clean, crisp, and intense. The taste is almost a little too sweet from the high level of malt that is required to balance the bitterness of the sage and juniper, I assume. The beer is still approachable and drinkable with a smooth, clean mouthfeel.

My overall impression is that this beer brings back a lot of nostalgia about the mountains and high desert that I really like.

4.56/5  rDev +21.9%

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

4.07/5  rDev +8.8%

Mammoth 395 ipa

22 from brewery. Can't believe I've never reviewed this. One of my favorites.

A- pour produces a 1/12 finger deep beige head restig on a hazy amber/copper body. Good retention. Very good lacing. 4

S-huge whiff of juniper and sage with a juicy citrus hop smell evening It out. Light malt smell. This smells like no beer I've ever had and I love it every time I open one.  Amazing smell4.5

T- just like the nose sage and  juniper berries are very present with the juicy hops. It is pretty malty as well. I must say that I really love this beer. There seems to be some batch variation some definitely better than others. Usually superb though 4

M- slightly thin for a beer this big. Good carbonation 3.5

O- one of a kind and I love it every time. Definitely a love it or hate it beer. You have to really like juniper and sage to like this one 4

A-

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

I try to drink as much of this stuff as I can, this review is from the most recent batch that baybassboy brought back for me. Thanks.
Pours much darker then you would expect for the style and I welcome this, its got good clarity and one of those signiture giagantic frothy heads from Mammoth Brewing, the head sticks to the glass and doesn't uncling until its washed off.
Right off the bat you know why this is IPA 395, if you have ever been to the Eastern Sierra's you know what I'm talking about, full of sage, pine and floral hops, juniper with a slight malt profile.
So much sage in this beer. Feels like I had my head out the window smacking sage brush with my mouth open going 70 up 395. There is a slight bitterness and floral hops as well as some malt background.
Medium bodied with a sticky resin clinging to the mouth and well carbed.
DIPA? I understand why this beer gets some bad reviews and may not be enjoyable for everyone, I however love this beer and its one of my all time favorites.

3.66/5  rDev -2.1%

The 395 IPA was more like a dark amber ale. I am not one for IPAs but i tried it and it was not bad... but not great. Over all a pretty good beer. The people I was with said it was great. But I am not so sure it really should have been an IPA; as i said it really seemed like a dark amber ale.

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Vacation in a bottle. Some IPA take us places, most of them nice places. This IPA starts with nice strong note and finishes near a mountain creek with herbal scented winds. Nice break from double IPA's that feel the need to constantly remind you what they are. Nice Amber, acceptable head and body, nice bitter sweet finish. Very drinkable, enjoy.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

4.84/5  rDev +29.4%

The east side in a bottle! This beer is way too hard to find but it is well worth the search. It's a traditional west coast IPA with the unique addition of sage and juniper flavors. This might make for a strange combination to some but if you've ever spent any time climbing, hiking, skiing or just exploring the beautiful country that makes up the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains, you'll find that these flavors capture the essence of the California high country we love. For my money you can't find a better tasting IPA.

IPA 395 from Mammoth Brewing Company