IPA 395 | Mammoth Brewing Company

mammothbrewingco.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Halcyondays on 02-04-2008

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.81/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.94/5  rDev +5.3%

Can a beer improve depending on the location where it's consumed? I've had this somewheres in the bay area, probably purchased at a bevmo, and it wasn't anything memorable. But recently I had a bottle of 395 IPA on the deck of the Whoa Nellie Deli in Lee Vining, just 100 yards or so away from highway 395 itself, overlooking Mono Lake at dusk with wild buffalo meatloaf for dinner. The gate to Tioga Pass just opened earlier in the week and Mt. Conness, tomorrow's destination, was still loaded with snow. The sage and juniper aroma of the beer mixed with the scent of sagebrush on the air with each sip. This beer isn't a hop bomb altogether, there's enough malt to sink your teeth into. The Eastern Sierra is some amazing land and on that evening this was the perfect beer. Is this what the French mean by terroir?

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bomber of this DIPA from a local liquor store in Capistrano Beach, CA. No bottled date. 8% APV. Dumb-ass label unless you think the California Highway 395 sign is attractive. Makes me think of speed traps and police cruisers and planes with radar detectors. I hated that crap whenever I went skiing at Mammoth!

IPA 395 DIPA pours a clear copper color with moderate carbonation. 2 fingers of ecru foam. Some lacing.

This DIPA smells of honey and hops. The taste starts with a big malt backbone, followed by hops, sage and a hint of juniper berries. I really like the juniper berry taste but wish it were much stronger here. And while the sage sounds good, I think it adds a weird medicinal taste which ruins what should be a refreshing DIPA. The big malt backbone doesn't help here much either.

The label suggests you can store a bottle to allow the sage and juniper berries to mellow. Hey, it's a DIPA! Remember "drink fresh"? I guess Mammoth Brewing thinks this DIPA can have it both ways. I disagree.

3.49/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.27/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed on 10/20/16.
Poured from 22oz bottle into pint glass.
A: Pours a clear red amber hue with 1/4 inch bubbly light tan head that fairly quickly recedes. (3.25)
S: Juniper berries, piney hops, caramel malt, and a hint of dark honey. (3.5)
T: Juniper berries and sage hit first followed by pine resin, caramel malt, and honey. (3.75)
M: Medium body. Bitter hops and juniper. Mildly sweet malt. (3.25)
D: An interesting brew and I'm glad I gave it a shot, but I don't think I'd give it another go. Very malty for style. (3.5)

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.84/5  rDev +2.7%

3.66/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Comes in darker than your average ipa, this has plenty of notes of brown to it, 1/4" off white head. Aroma hits tons of pine and sage notes. Smells like the area.

Taste is good, fresh, you get plenty of green leaf material from the hopping and sage. Even some citrus, and a hefty malt bill of crystal and brown. This is close to a brown ipa. Hides alcohol well, a nice double, but also no bottle dating so I've had some older less good ones.

Very herbal and plant like mouthfeel, a little sticky. I like it, probably my favorite hoppy Mammoth beer, but man they're so inconsistent and I've had it even worse at the tap lines at the brewery that were obviously compromised.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.26/5  rDev -12.8%

3.97/5  rDev +6.1%

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Undated 12oz bottle into a narrow tulip at fridge temp.

Look: unexpectedly dark, this is burnt orange with a small, short-lived offwhite head.

Smell: like home-made candy, or some sort of naturopathic cough remedy/cleanse/burn tincture. Hard to place, but very sweet. The closest I can come up with is those little strawberry candies wrapped in strawberry wrappers with strawberry goo inside.

Taste: in contrast to the smell, this reads as an IPA, but with additives. Not overly sweet, with a good bitterness. The sage/juniper combo might seem a bit gimmicky, but I quite enjoy this; then again, I really liked Saison du BUFF, so maybe I just have a thing for sage.

Feel: light, smooth, with just a hint of woody dryness. Crushable.

Overall: I probably wouldn't want this beer every time I wanted an IPA, but I'd take this over about 80% of what's out there every time. Scratches an itch I didn't even know I had. Far surpassed my expectations.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +15.2%