Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Big Horn Hefeweizen | Ram Restaurant & Brewery

3.76/5
Very Good

Ram Restaurant & Brewery
Idaho, United States
theram.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

An unfiltered, authentic, German-style wheat beer utilizes a special German yeast strain to give this beer its characteristic cloudiness and banana-clove flavors.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-11-2006

4.29/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a growler from meridian id which is a connecting sub of Boise. I have had this beer a couple times before joining this site but this last growler was the best I have had. It has been about 1 year so I can not judge consistency - It maybe a brewer progression, brewing many wheat's myself I can say that it is an evolving brew type...

Appearance: Slightly more golden than a wit beer but it has the white haze in the middle of the glass. I am impressed with the head retention in this wheat beer. The head is a large white pillow...

Smell:crisp clove and orange

Taste: Clove than orange a lingering banana aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing. Extremely drinkable!!!

From The Ram in Salem, Oregon.
Pours cloudy pale amber with a one finger white head. A few lacings.
Aroma is of the typical Heffe spices and a touch of floral hops.
Taste is very true to style compared to the European Heffes I've enjoyed. This beer actually tastes more lively and fresher than the imported Heffes probably because it hasn't been shipped a long distance in bottles.
Mouthfeel is good and it is an easy drinker. I would guess the abv at about 4.6%. Good session beer if you enjoy this style.

Big Horn Hefeweizen from Ram Restaurant & Brewery