Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale | Brouwerij Corsendonk

Style: Dubbel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-02-2001

Ratings: 1,138 |  Reviews: 584
3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Pours an attractive nearly opaque brown with a slight off-white head.

S - A pleasant combination of smells including raisins, sugar, and fermented fruit.

T - Definitely on the sweeter side of the spectrum. That said, still a very tasty dubbel.

M - Ok mouthfeel but it feels a tad over carbonated which slightly reduces the overall experience.

D - A very drinkable dubbel. The alcohol stays relatively in the background for a 7.5% beer.

Overall - One of my old stand-by Belgians that can be counted on to provide a very good if not spectacular experience everytime.

4.63/5  rDev +16%

Three bubbly fingers of off-white head cap this red grape-brown body--exquisite. The smell is loaded with fruit, most prominently grape, apricot, and apple. The taste combines these fruit beautifully with light caramel in a highly carbonated brew. A slight metallic aftertaste thankfully fades early, but detracts from what would otherwise be a five-star mouthfeel, with the carbonation unwavering.

This is really exceptional, very delicious and durable. Outstanding, one I'm wishing I had consumed earlier, and I won't wait nearly as long again to grab this.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

25.4 fl oz corked brown bottle' served in a goblet.
Best enjoyed before: 01.06.09; No. 4191.

Light maple with auburn; almost mahogany, hues. Creamy, porous tanned head with stable retention. A few trails of patchy laing.

Moderately sweet caramelized sugars; spicy nutmeg amidst a rich caramel and toffee. Notes of licorice and saffron along a wall of musty yeast.

Belgian candied sugar; semi-sweet, rich flavors. Powdered milk chocolate and toffee. Corriander, saffron, and licorice spices with a cutting, over-the-top carbonation. Fig and raisin with plenty of phenolic notes.

Medium bodied; over carbonated and too active on the palate. The texture certainly takes away from this Dubbel's soft flavors.

The flavors are promising, but reserved and almost diminished due to the over-carbonation. Pleasant, but disappointing from such a big-time brewer.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

I got this in Nashville over the weekend. I really like this beer. Lots of carbonation which was unline the others we were tasting at the time. Great "Brown ale" taste that feels the mouth and nose while you sip. Definitely in my "to get next time" list.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

A: Poured a dark caramel-cola color with a huge fluffy beige head that was fully lasting.

S: a nice roasted nuttiness.

F: The initial flavor was malty with a deep roasted caramel and nuttiness along with a fresh fruitiness (cherries, plums). The beer finished with a nice fruitiness (cherries) and some sweet molasses, cinnamon, and a dark roasted nuttiness. The finish was quick and very clean.

M: The palate and carbonation was soft providing for a smooth and creamy mouthful.

d: Overall a great brown with a nice underlying fruitiness from the yeast with a great roasted palate making for a incredible drinkability factor.

2.36/5  rDev -40.9%

A: Dark brown with a thick white head that disappears. There was a lot of carbonation and the bottle foamed over when opened.

S: Slightly tannic and earthy. There is also a nutty, almost "iron" smell to it like dried blood has.

T: Again, "iron" and a nutty taste. No apparent alcohol and a slight taste of malt.

M: Felt very carbonated and fizzed on the tongue like Pepsi does.

D: Frankly, if I knew what this one would be like, I'd have just ordered the Pepsi that it felt like. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the bottle I had.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

750 mL bottle.

Looks like apple cider, cloudy and brown with a big head.

Fruity and floral notes in the smell. Banana, spices, apple.

Taste reminds me of apple cider in a way too. Tastes are a little mellow, banana, subtle malt, spices. I guess I was expecting some thing more complex.

Mouthfeel is kind of weird for me on this. Overly dense, again, very reminiscent of cider. Kind of flat.

This was not a bad beer, but not worth it given how expensive it was.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

11.2 oz best by 2009.

Pours out a deep tawny with plenty of fine carbonation and a thick brownish white head. Notes of molasses and brown sugar ease in. Pepper and toasted grain and some banana also show up.

Rich brown sugar aided by cinnamon and orange rind followed by a quick hit of hops and some banana fruitiness. A little bit of chocolate and some mild pie crust in the finish. Medium body and incredibly smooth. Everything about this is agreeable and it's a shame we don't get it in Texas anymore.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Poured from a very medieval looking 750 ml corked and caged bottle into a big snifter, a massive four finger solid tan head rises above a beer that looks black, but shows some crimson highlights when held to the light. The head gets nice and rocky as it slowly slides to about a finger over the course of a few minutes. Beautiful.

S - Deeply yeasty and obviously Belgian from the first sniff. I smell lots of doughy yeast along with black ripe banana, creamy milk chocolate, dried dates, brown sugar, and baby food. This has hints of banana baby food, but also other mashed up pureed fruit and a mashed sweet potato aroma too. Very complex, unique, and interesting. Toffee and caramel are apparent also. I like the mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows vibe!

T - Mashed ripe bananas, chocolate pudding, whipped cream, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. This reminds me of something my mom used to make called "lush" and consisted of cream cheese, chocolate pudding, and whipped cream on top of a graham cracker crust.

M - Full bodied, lush, and softly carbonated. Rich and silky with some obvious sugar on the palate. Sugary initially, the midpalate is silky, and the finish is extremely dry and steely. This beer pulls a complete 180 after starting ridiculously sweet and creamy, then getting yeasty, dusty, and dry as hell at the end. Awesome!

D - A little too sweet despite the dry finish. I had no problem finishing the 750ml bottle, but there is no way that I would session this beer. It's a good wintertime celebration or dessert beer, and the alcohol is completely transparent.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Received this beer as a Christmas gift; a good Christmas gift I's say. Not a clue what it really was (blank bottle) at first but after reading the neck label, very happy to have.

Appearance is interesting, I'd say. Pours a beautiful chestnut brown which is impressive and a tall head (a bit thin though). The beer seemed a bit hazy though, and the head fell very quickly.

Smell is very sexy - pure Belgian goodness. Hints of fruity Belgian yeast and fresh; a glorious aroma. Roasted malt notes come through.

Taste is very good. I can't say that I have had many Belgian browns but a nice blend between an abbey ale and a nice english brown; fairly impressed with the style. The fruity esters of the yeast really come through in this beer. I'd say it is less roasty than I originally figured from the aroma.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin. It isn't bad but it is not very exciting. However, the carb level is high and it does pop. It does not coat my mouth though, I would think it would with a high alcohol level and a good amount of roasted malt.

This beer is very drinkable. The 750 is easy to put down. Each sip is very nice as you get a great whif of that aroma. Belgian yeast is very impressive - the unique flavor qualities never get old; they are very subtle.

I'd have to recommend this one.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

I had a bottle of this exceptional beer at a comedy show and so drank it straight from the bottle. I have to say that the beer was the most enjoyable part of the show. Although I can't comment on the appearance, the brew tasted and smelled wonderful, with a strong malty flavor and some fruity hints. It was very drinkable, not too intense and very enjoyable to sip on. Overall I would recommend this beer.

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

750ml Bottle
Caged/Corked

Best By: 04/11/06

Pours a nice cloudy brown color, lots of carbonation, nice little creamy tan head, which leaves some nice creamy sticky lacing. The nose is malty, good tones of figs, raisins, and plums, chocolate, and slight yeasty/smoky. The taste is very nice, malty, dark fruit, slight chocolate, yeasty. Full body, a well rounded/complex brew. Very drinkable, really liking this one, pretty tasty.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a snifter, the liquid is quite good looking. The brew is brown with lots of good carbonation. The head is 2 full fingers of tan foam with a rocky surface that fades leaving good lace.

The smell is good, yeasty, caramel malt with a touch of alcohol.

The taste is good but nothing out standing. A sweet caramel malt with some notes of dark fruit is dominated by a yeasty flavor.

The mouthfeel is good, medium body and good carbonation.

The drinkability is ok, a fine brew but nothing outstanding to get me to want more. Prosit, MK

3.34/5  rDev -16.3%

Dangit, I just can't make myself like Belgians. I've tried quite a few now but the only one that I really truly enjoyed was the Chimay Blue.

This actually pours quite nicely. Darker than most other Belgians, nice fluffy head.

Smells very fruity and sweet, definitely note the raisin in this.

Tastes better than most Belgians. There is a hint of darkness here that is not found in the others I've tried.

Overall, it's probably a good example of a Dubbel, but just not for me. I guess I'm too much of a hophead. Either that or my tastes aren't sophisticated enough to enjoy the Belgians. Either way, I just can't dig them.

4.06/5  rDev +1.8%

A very pricey brew in my area, with a four-pack going for nearly $13... was shrewd enough to pick up a single 12oz bottle which still ran me a hefty $3.50... Pours a beautiful, dark, mahogany-brown tan color that resulted in a fluffy white head that had some staying power... smell is malty, with a prunish aroma... taste is very complex with an almost root-beer, licorice flavor that tingled on my tongue for awhile after the first-sip... I really enjoyed this brew, put for the price, not sure I'd pay again unless I could find a single... definitely interested in the pale version from this brewery... the taste is sweet, but an alcohol presence is certainly noticeable.. a good brew, Definitely recommended....

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

pours a very dark brown color with a small head, smells like alot of belgians, yeasty with lots of roasted malt. tastes awesome, rich and full with lots of robusts flavors, yeasty and sweet, little distinct hop flavor but you know its there mouthfeel is full and rich very good beer

4.23/5  rDev +6%

33cl bottle poured into a nicely shaped Corsendonk tulip. Best before date of 24/05/07, so it must be pretty ripe.

Dark, nearly solid brown with some red hue. Thick, fluffy two-inch head, a bit tan and very long lasting. Frothy lacing that compliments nicely.

Scent is alcoholic and sweet. Pungent grape juice and dark prunes with a hint of spice.

Smooth and creamy on a medium-full body with appealing carbonation levels that don't overpower. Follows up with sooo much grape juice and blackberries, plenty of malt packed in and quite tasty with an earthy finish. Hops give a nice leafy edge. Wine-like...

Yeast and alcohol are well melded. This is incredibly rich and packed with flavour. However, it is a bit cloying and sticky. Agnus is terrific and this one is just as good. Very robust Belgian and well done, A+.

3.83/5  rDev -4%

A - 2.5 fingers of light brown head on top of a dark brown body. The head settles pretty quickly and leaves little lace. Decent clarity.

S - Buttery caramel and lots of yeasty spice. Some dark fruit and spicy hops as well.

T - Lots of caramel and malt with a bit of roasted grain as well. Dark, fruity flavors come out next; raisins, banana, and some pineapple with a chocolate background. Finishes a bit hot with lots of spicy yeast.

M - Smooth, fairly thick body with high carbonation. Finishes a bit sweet.

D - Reasonably drinkable. My only real complaint is that this beer could be just a bit dryer and the slight burn of higher alcohols in the finish. Not the most complex example of the style, but the malt character is quite nice, especially the chocolate notes.

Pours a mahogany brown sugar colour with a creamy head that dies to nothing. You get a mild sweetnes in the nose along with dark fruit and fig and sense of sourness from the Belgian yeast. Very balanced in that you get the sour yeast, you get the sweet malt and you get the fruit but its all subtle and blends nicely. Medium in the mouth and very drinkable.

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

A- This one pours a very dark brown that is transparent. It leaves 2 fingers of head after a semi conservative pour. No lacing in the glass really like most Belgians.

S- I smell molasses, sourwood, Belgian yeast, and a hint of vanilla.

T- The tastes I pick up are candy sugar, mild alcohol taste, and a touch of chocolate and caramel. It is somewhat woodsy or toasty too. The aftertaste of chocolate is very pleasant.

M- I think this one was a little bit overly carbonated. Other than that, it was nice.

D- Definitely a drinkable beer. I like this one, but it is maybe a notch down that my favorite Belgians. It is not as strong as the others which makes it maybe more drinkable.

This one was about what I expected. Very good taste and and very drinkable. A little more mild than the other Belgian brews which is definitely OK. More of a session beer than the others and lower alcohol which will make it easier to drink more!

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

The last Corsendonk I have to try, and I hope this can stand up to the pale and the Christmas ale. The beer pours a nice brown with a thick malty head that never leaves. Aroma is chocolate covered raisins, brown sugar and that familiar Belgian yeast. The smell is sweet, but the taste is a little more restrained, some dark fruits in there and tart apples and raisins. Some metallic taste at at the beginning, but that quickly disappears.

Another fine Belgian offering, but nothing that really sets this brew apart from the pack.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

It comes out of the bottle a rich transparent reddish-brown with a fairly thick tan head. Aroma is nice and malty, not too strong. Flavor is strong and mouth-filling, malty, smoky, a little peaty with just a touch of sweetness, like molasses. Very smooth but with a little bit of a bite.

Bevmo is where I bought this. They gave it one of thier highest ratings. I dissagree with that. This is a good belguim beer but not great.

Pours a medium brown color. Leaves a thick 3 finger foamy head. Great lacing that coats the glass in a thin layer before falling back to the beer.

Smells of Belgium yiests, bread pudding, nutmeg, and other spices. Smells very good.

Tastes of the Belguim yiests and flavors up front. Grainy tastes almost to corn in the middle pallet. A hint of toastiness.Some hop bitterness lingers. A very good Belgium ale!

Mouthfeel is very carbonated and dry to me.

Drinkibility is easy. I would want to session these if I want a night of belgium beers. Usually if I session, I would prefer a stout or west coast hop beer. I am glad I tried this.

Beer bottle (33cl), tasted in 2003.
Appearance: mahogany color, limpid (on yeast), beige foam abundantly creamy appearance, stability average.
Smell: Smell rich and powerful, deep fruity malt, yeast and alcohol. Taste and mouthfeel: typed flovours, soft and raised, caramelized notes. Pleasant taste bodied sweet spices, and slight bitterness acridity average.
Drinkability: a very good beer dubbel

Review added 11-11-2007, translated from french 2-27-2008.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

750ml deep brown bottle from Jungle Jim's poured into an oversized wine glass. Best by 9/11/08.

A: Deep ruby with a distinct brown tint. 1 1/2 fingers of frothy white head that settles to a constant 1/8inch.

S: Citrus and alcohol phenolic. Sweet juicy fruits and cranberries.

T/M: Sweet malts dominate. Just a hint of chocolate at the very back that I more than likely wouldn't have picked up on if I hadn't read the back of the bottle. Plenty of sweet desert spices. Body and carbonation match champagne. Finishes nice and dry.

D: Much higher than I had expected. I don't normally like the Belgian strongs too much but this is alright. Still not my favor style so I probably won't get any more of this.

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk