Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown AleCorsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale
Notes:
Reviews: 609 | Ratings: 1,223
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Corsendonk Pater Dubbel has a medium, cream colored head and a dark brown (ruby under light) appearance, with some light lacing left behind. The aroma is of spicy, sweet, bread, and the flavor is of peppery, spicy, sweet bread, coriander, a hint of banana, raisin, dark fruit, a touch of chocolate, and a mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Corsendonk finishes semi-dry, sweet, and carbonated. Overall, this is another great Belgian ale, and I score it most excellent.

RJT

4.46/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle pours a very dark brown with 2 finger rocky tan head. Fairly lively and bubbly. Pretty to look at. Smell of sour tart apples. Taste is highly carbonated tart fruit. This is almost champagne like, but being much less pronounced with the fruit. Slight sourness on the end. Short finish that does not linger. Really enjoyable, maybe just a bit too bubbly. About only complaint I have.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I saw this beer for sale at a local liquor store, and picked up a couple of bottles. (one to enjoy, and one to review) This is called Abbey Brown Ale, but they also call it a Pater beer. Beer has the same alcohol content as their tripel, which was surprising to me.

Smell is a faint smell of apples mostly. Taste consists of malt, apple, brown sugar, and bread. Feel is very smooth, medium carbonation, and a somewhat light feel. There is little aftertaste, maybe a malty aftertaste, but very pleasant-- and beer is not dry at all, without any alcohol detected. Beer is tasty and refreshing.

I actually enjoyed this beer, and found it to be better than their Tripel offering, much to my surprise. I enjoy Tripel beers in general, but this is considered a Dubbel-- and the first I have had of the Dubbel-- looks like I will seek out more beers of this kind. Now I just wish they sold this in more places around where I live, but at least I do know where to find it!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Always a good choice on tap. Medium chocolate brown color, slightly transparent when held to the light. A tall tan cap of foam sits neatly w/ in the curves of its chalice.

Aromas are scorched fruit - ripe melon and apple with a hint of bannana and spice. Chocolate notes waft around the perimeter.

Flavors of ripe fruit follow the aroma - watermelon and pears with more coco in coffee and a hint of anise. Braised fruit wrapped in a thin coating of milk chocolate. Supple and subtle, rich but not heavy, complex but not be-fuddled.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied while remaing quite " liquid" and somewhat light on the tongue. Hop bitterness quietly works its way in at the finish to dry things up a bit and mingle with the toffee/ chocolate aftertaste.

Simply a great beer with rich foods, desserts or by itself, and always a treat to find on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The first thought that came to mind when I poured this was, “It’s Alive!” Upon initial pouring a huge, thick off-white froth arose from my glass. It took what seemed like an eternity for it to die down, leaving a nice 1/2-inch head. Moderate lace was left on the sides. Aromas of raisins, cherries, plums, and malts with hints of chocolate emerged from underneath the foam. The taste matched the aromas quite well, leaving a clean, dry finish. All of the flavors were exceptionally balance with minimal bitterness. I, definitely, can’t wait to try this one again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Late Feb. ice pellets cover the just greening ground and brown deck. Wiping the melting ice from my lab Daisy's back. I settle down by a warm fire and open my last bottle of Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale. The 7.5% ABV offsetting the weather outside.

Just pouring a few oz of the 12 oz bottle into a fine crystal tulip glass I watch a light brown head raise 2-3 fingers with the bottle still filled below the neck taper.
Excellent lace. This Belgium emits strong aromas of last years apples and a winery tour with subtile caramel and dough in the background.

Its taste is of red grape skins spiced lightly with clove.

Pleasing mouth feel as the CO2 showers my mouth with its efferescence.

Fasinating complexity of malts and fruits that finishes semi-dry with soft yeasts lingering.

Fine Belgiums aways stir my appetite. Where is that new box of California Raisons

All Good :>) . . . all gone :>( nothing left to do but review.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%

A - Poured from a bottle into a goblet. Pours dark garnet with a thin ecru head.

S - Smells of dark fruits; succulent ripe figs and plump raisins. There's a little bit of maltiness swirling around my nostrils as well. Exceptional aroma.

T - The taste is just as magically delicious as the aroma. Dark, sweet candied fruits, roasted malts, a very mild hop punch, wheat, some mild spices.

M - Creamy, silky, mild carbonation.

Notes - I just got Corsendonk'd... and I liked it.

4.44/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had it on tap at Isaac Newton's in Newtown, PA.

Appearance: nice coper brown color, very clear, small very light brown head.

Smell: very fruity and spicy, picking up the raisins.

Taste: very complex mix of fruits and spices, picking up the alcohol though.

Mouthfeel: a little creamy even! moderate carbonation.

Overall: an excellent Belgian brown ale. One of the best, but a bit heavy for lunch. May have to have a couple tonight!

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

A - This beer poured a nut brown color that produced a beautiful, nicely sized light tan head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer had some toasted malts, spiciness, and Belgian sour yeasts

T - The taste of this beer was quite good, one of my favorites, a toasted maltiness, a mixture of cinnamon and clove spiciness, some light fruits, and a finish of sourness that made this beer special

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body, but an abundance of natural carbonation which contributed to the easy pour

D - This beer was quite remarkable, I am steadly falling for every Belgain that I have tried, and this one ranks up with some of the best

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance - Color was a reddish brown poured into a Corsendonk chalice. Ample head formation from a moderate pour, small frothy bubbles forming that remain long after the beer has settled Not much lacing as the head receeds.

Smell - Candy sweet nose with a malty presence. Grassy with a distinctive belgian yeasty aroma. This smell I remember from my sampling of other high-quality Belgians.

Taste - Spicy initial offering, a malty presence as well. A bit of a thinning as you go to the middle of the sample but the finish is fine and mellow. 7.5%? I can't tell at all.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation leaves little to detract from the taste. As mentioned above, there is a thinning during the middle, however I'm wondering if this is just my limted experience with the style, and trying to equate it with the bolder trippels or strong dark belgian styles.

Drinkability - Yummy. I have been focusing much of my tastings on the more robust belgians and this brings me back to the allure of the dubbels. Of the dubbels I've had, this ranks in the top two. Something that could be exceedingly habit-forming. To me, a nice light, yet deep in character beer that will make you want more.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%

It's a deep cloudy ruby red, mmmm. Head exploded into a nougat colored mountain of froth that nearly overwhelmed the goblet, even with a gentle pour. Proceed with caution. Rocky and persistant.

Smell is vegetal, fruity, HEY that's pineapple! Then prunes, musty. Nice. After it warms up a bit a note of cabbage presides, with burnt caramel edging in. Cabbage and caramel? It's actually a pleasant combo.

The first sip is so very comforting, warming and welcoming. Wonderful mouthfeel and a nice balance of a multitude of flavors. It's dry, but there's a lot of fruit up front. Port-like character.
Very active carbonation. Makes a nice fizzy buzz in the mouth. And the head stills lingers.
Very nice.

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Corsendonk Pater Dubbel Ale

Bottled on 1/9/2019

This one is leftover from the Dubbel tasting yesterday, and while I know I’ve had this beer, I’ve never rated it on this website. So, for all intents and purposes it is new to me. On the heels of Westmalle Dubbel and Ommegang Abbey Ale, I want to review this today while the other two are fresh on my mind.

At 6.5% ABV this is slightly lower than the Westmalle and much lower than the Ommegang.

Look: The first thing I notice about this beer as compared to the other two the dark color. Much darker than the Ommegang, and slightly more than the Westmalle. Opaque dark brown at the bottom of the goblet, which some translucent brown at the top when held to the light. No visible carbonation. Beige head that dissipates to a thin layer across the top of the beer and a ring around the edge. Some lacing as I drink the beer.

Smell: The other immediate difference between this beer and the other two is the level of dark stone fruit and berry notes on the aroma. I think there is more in this beer. But the malt is also prominent, more like in the Westmalle and much more than the Ommegang. In addition to the plum and blackberry fruity aromas I get coffee, some more roast, tobacco, woody and nutty notes. Some spice as well like cinnamon.

Taste: The flavor profile is amazing here. Waves of different things going on. A ton of dark fruit comes through as figs. I find this flavor to be the prominent one. Wow. Some coffee and chocolate, woody and hazelnut and walnut notes. Overall, semi-dry beer. I thought the Westmalle had some bitterness and I’m not really getting any of that here to speak of. Some spicyness of the finish too.

Feel: Great feel like the others. Prickly carbonation on the tip of the tongue, but overall, a pillowy soft mouthfeel. The beer finishes dry and lingers so on the palate.

Overall: Of the three beers I had for the Dubbel tasting this one is by far my favorite. It happens to the lightest, but with the most flavor. Westmalle second, followed by the Ommegang. I’m happy to have done this tasting and revisited these beers so I can add something “new” to the rotation. I only wish I could find small format bottles, but I’ll drink the 750’s if I’m forced.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

pours a very dark brown color with a small head, smells like alot of belgians, yeasty with lots of roasted malt. tastes awesome, rich and full with lots of robusts flavors, yeasty and sweet, little distinct hop flavor but you know its there mouthfeel is full and rich very good beer

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

A classic and delicious abbey brown. Raisins, dark plum, nuts and lovely malty sweetness blend together for an awesome brew. Very smooth and drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a deep, murky brown into my nice tulip glass, forming a thick white head that lingers and laces the entire glass. Aroma is of caramel and lightly toasted malts with dates, raisins, plums and spice.

Taste is sweet, caramelized sugar dominates the fruity, spicy flavor of this ale. There are dates and raisins, red apples, spices like nutmeg and allspice in the background, with the toasty malts drowning out the hops. More complexity is evident in the flavor as the ale warms - some citrus flavor comes out, perhaps a deep, sweet, flavorful orange.

Mouthfeel is chewy and smooth, with some oilyness, but balanced by ample carbonation. Good spicyness on the tongue.

Drinkability is medium - a good winter ale. I couldn't stomach too many of these on a warm night.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured out of an 11.2 oz. bottle into a Duvel.

A - Deep brown ale. Huge head on pour with about 3 inches which dropped down to a nice light head. Good lacing.

S - Nice malty smell immediately. You get the raisins as well. A hint of chocolate. Smells slightly sweet.

T - Very nice fruits taste. Maybe apples? Very clean. I would say you get some plums in the end as well.

M - Nice active carbonation on this one. Medium to light bodied.

D - Extremely.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: From a european style 12 oz. bottle, with a clear "use by" date on the collar label. Pours with a MASSIVE head. At least 4-inches by my measure. Be careful as it may overflow. But very quickly it begins to settle in.

Appearance: A beautiful mahogany color with light and dark reds involved. A wonderful lace fills the sides. This looks exciting!

Smell: Lots of things going on in the nose, and thats not bad. Hints of apple, and slightly burnt hops.

Taste: A bit of a "hard" taste, which can be taken as hoppiness. But it's good! There's chocolate in there. It feels warm. A nice smooth feel in the mouth. A nice mix. Goes great with cheese! I think I may like this beer, although expensive.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

mmmm... this poured with a huge, just off-white head that actually sloped away from the side of the glass I poured it on. Almost overflowed a 20-oz coca-cola shaped glass. Smells sweet, juicy, like an apple pie with currants.

Appearance is a wonderfully filthy brown color, as I poured it swirled around with muddy streamers and finally settled to a very murky tea color.

Taste is incredibly complex... very sweet and fruit-tasting. I got tones of apples, prunes, and brown sugar. The antithesis to an IPA; almost no hops flavor to be detected, but very, very, tasty. It's better at room temperature or just slightly chilled...so many flavors working together, this is a beer to rival granny's best baked goods.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A very beautiful pour into a Corsendonk chalice. The beer is crystal clear when held to the light with a very dark amber, almost brown color. The head is tannish and very thick. The large carbonation bubbles die off quickly but are replaced by rising bubbles fast enough that the head never completely disappears.

S - Very little in the aroma initially but as it warms there is a hint of grain, yeast and dehydrated apple.

T/M - A nice malty and dark fruit sweetness to start followed by spicy cinnamon and coriander in the middle. The finish is crisp from the carbonation and leaves a slightly roasty aftertaste. The transitions between flavors is subtle but distinct and absolutely delicious.

D - I could dink this all the time. I would consider this one of the great beers of the world. Not on my top ten list but perhaps my top 25.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottles pours a dark brown with an enormous tan, pancake head. plenty of lacing. the nose is similar to the Agnus with it's yeasty qualities however, the Pater tends to have more citrus and raisiny sweetness in the nose. taste wise this beer has good complexity. a little more sweetness in this beer. still some champagne yeast flavours and a drying quality. counterbalanced nicely with sweetness of raisin and grape. earthiness. taste lingers well and leaves a dry/sweet finish on the tongue. very lively mouthfeel. crisp & pleasant. again, a beer that doesn't have a HUGE flavour profile but one that is solid in its complexity & balance. simply a rock solid beer that is a perfect example of an Abbey Brown/Dark. thumbs up.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

I let this warm up for about 15 minutes after taking it out of the refrigerator.

A: Pours a dark mahogany brown, opaque, with a thick fluffy head that rose and stayed above the rim of my Maredsous tulip glass.

S: Very malty. Raisins, dark sugars, dark dried fruits, sweet caramel, slightly biscuity, with yeast fruitiness. This is a great beer to sniff on.

T: A lot like it smells: dark dried fruits, very malty, but surprisingly light and dry with some tartness and acidic aftertaste. Burnt sugar and roasted grains, but not stout or porter-like. Very complex, and highly enjoyable. Sweet from the maltiness, similar to a dopplebock, but with much thinner body and a definite Belgian-esque quality.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these in a sitting, but it is very enjoyable and surprisingly drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

A: VERY carbonated. dark Brown with a large white head, Cloudy.

S:Very rich-smelling.

T: strong hop flavor.the Hop flavor is pleasant..

M: Dry A little overcarbonated , a little hoppy/bitter after a couple minutes, I did leave it to warm up 57 degree or so (original cellar temp 53.3 degrees) and the harshness of the hop mellowed out, and was quiet good, still a little dry for me but good.

D: Drinkable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Smoky amber with russet highlights and a thin head that never dissipates, coating the glass nicely. Smells like overripe aples fermenting in the afternoon sun; raisins and sweet malts. By this time my mouth is definately watering. Tastes as good as the nose, but much more pronounced: grapes and raisins, bread and apples, sour wine. Crisp and clean, easy to drink.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is my first dubbel so I don't have anything to compare this too so I will rate it solely on the beer itself. Poured slowly into my glass this beer is an intensely rich brown color that produces a pillowey head. Crazy amounts of lacing stick to the glass and the foamy head never goes away. After this beer warmed up a thick aroma became present. Very earthy tones are present, the aroma is malty and slightly sweet and nutty. The longer I let this one sit the more intense the aroma becomes it is similar to the previous Belgium styles I have had and really wonderful. Robust flavor that is exceptionally crafted. Very malty indeed with some subtle roasted qualities. The flavor doesn't sway much from the nice aroma although it does seem to be a tad more mellow. The tinge of sweetness in the aroma is also present. Overall I was surprised how much I liked this dubbel, It only got better until it was gone.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Brown color beer. Dark brown with some reddish notes. Carbonation is present.
Smell: Roasted malts and some caramel notes too. Medium intensity aroma.
Taste: Complex taste. Caramel notes mainly but something else. Spices? Probably. Hazelnuts. Nice.
Mouthfeel: Carbonation is present in the mouth. Well balanced beer.
Drinkability: So easy to drink it is crazy!

An excellent beer from this brewery. One of the best Dubble that I've tasted so far.

Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk