Corsendonk Pater / Abbey Brown Ale

Notes:
firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
Reviews: 609 | Ratings: 1,223
2.73/5  rDev -32.3%

I seem to have a different opinion of this beer than everyone else, but I'm sure I had a good bottle. Poured a cloudy, odd brown color with a small head that disappeared quickly. It has a sweet wine aroma, with some burnt caramel scents. The taste is very sweet, I mostly tasted caramel. It is really carbonated, which took alot away from the flavor. For a $4 bottle, I was expecting more.

2.7/5  rDev -33%

I did not enjoy this beer much. It smelled of oranges and wheats. Tasted some of the bready orange/sugar flavor, but it seemed unbalanced. Too much going on and not enough good flavor to help it out. I enjoyed the feel of the beer and the appearance. This beer was below average in my opinion.

2.62/5  rDev -35%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a hazy brown with ruby tinges at the bottom of the goblet. Rim-defying creamy biege head that ever so slowly recedes, but never disappears. Smell has a mustiness, almost metallic, and a hint of cider. Weird. Taste is cidery, with the same almost metallic cidery flavor. Hint of sourness to it. Not sure what is up with this beer. It fades as the beer warms, but it still tickles the sides of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very thin and one-sided - very carbonated. It's just off enough to make me think I got a bad bottle. I'll need to get another one to be sure on this. Certainly disappointing.

Addendum: Adding the yeast from the bottom of the bottle yielded a noticeable change in the aroma and taste. The aroma changed to a yeasty bready smell, and the cidery aspect was augmented. The metallic mustiness was obscured. The taste changed to allow notes of chocolate, maybe a hint of port and even less so of smoke. I'm going to leave my numbers unchanged, but this is certainly an improvement. When/if I get another bottle, I will re-review this beer. Something's gotta be off with this bottle.

2.61/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

From the experimental batch. Best by Nov 19, 2004, sampled well after that, lol. But at 7.5%, we'll see how it held up.

Appearance - pours a muddy cola color into a Duvel glass with a very frothy light brown head. It builds a cap of about 2 fingers and starts to bubble down fast before it kind of dries up and holds at a half-finger or so.Stays off the glass somehow and yields no lacing. 4.5

Aroma - some sweet, fruity kind of yeast with a light caramel undertone. It fades to more of a bready, crackery but still slightly sweet aroma. After drinking half of this, a scent hit me in the olfactory that takes me back about 30 years...plastic planes, tanks, and cars all held together with the heady-scented Testor's Model cement. Not every time, but the alcohol and the sourness and whatever, just now and then it was unmistakeable. 3.5

Taste - starts out with a sour, tart fruitiness, like a lambic. Rats, one of *those* beers, lol. Oh well, it's been a while and I need to keep my palate honest. I think I'll do well to try and pick up the flavors stated on the bottle text. Port and raisins, I can find those in the tartness after my mouth gets used to the initial flavor. The black chocolate I'm not so sure about. I detect a hint of *something* back there, could be chocolate, or maybe just the malty side fighting through the sour veil at times. Halfway through the first glass I can even accept that there is some sweetness here, also undetectable at first. Maybe I should have this with some sharply flavored cheese or something. By itself, I can see it is a well-made creation but it is not for me. 2.5

Mouthfeel - over the top carbonation, just about blew the cork out when I turned it. Average weight to the body, I would almost prefer a lower carbonation to try and pick out some of the more subtle flavors, but that's not often to style with these kinds of beer. 2.0

Drinkability - no, not one I would have again but I am grateful to the Van Steerberge staff for the opportunity to try their beer. 1.5

2.36/5  rDev -41.4%

A: Dark brown with a thick white head that disappears. There was a lot of carbonation and the bottle foamed over when opened.

S: Slightly tannic and earthy. There is also a nutty, almost "iron" smell to it like dried blood has.

T: Again, "iron" and a nutty taste. No apparent alcohol and a slight taste of malt.

M: Felt very carbonated and fizzed on the tongue like Pepsi does.

D: Frankly, if I knew what this one would be like, I'd have just ordered the Pepsi that it felt like. I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the bottle I had.

2.3/5  rDev -42.9%

Disappointed in this one: Based on the bottle desc this was destined as a slam-dunk for me, but I just found that this particular bottle--at least--delivered none of the advertised expectations. I thought this might be along the lines of a German Doppelbock, since it had some sweetness upfront, but that seemed to be drowned out by excessive carbonation, a metallic note and a lingering bitter finish. Just seemed to have balance issues. Some reporting bottle-to-bottle differences, so maybe I'll retry at some point. The wife liked it. Note: About 1/3 of the pour overflowed a 13oz mug with foam.

2.17/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Corsendonk pater dubbel
Dark red/brown color with very little head.
Smells slight fruity bread. Sweet, caramel.
Tastes almost like slightly dark chocolate that hangs on the back of thr throat. Caramel ane slightly dark fruit. It tastes really good.
Low carbonation
6.5 % not detectable.

Update: this beer is inconsistent. Every bottle seems to taste different. First bottle is reviewed above. The other bottles smelled like wet dog and each bottlr tasted different.

2.12/5  rDev -47.4%

Maybe I got a bad (old) 4 pack? I was extremely disappointed in this stuff. Bought it for a fight night on HBO with high expectations after reading about it here..All the aformentioned appearance and mouthfeel opinions by other reviewers apply here, but the taste? YUCK! The best I can describe it would be fruit that went bad. It's not really TOO bad until the finish, which made me cringe after each swallow. Never again.

1.09/5  rDev -73%

I'm a huge fan of Belgian ales but this one taste like dirty water. I'm not sure if I got a bad batch or not but this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted. Do yourself a favor and get a different Belgian ale. There are plenty of other options out there.

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last