Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Corsendonk Agnus / Abbey Pale Ale | Brouwerij Corsendonk

corsendonk.com

Style: Tripel

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-26-2001

4.1

I have tasted many Belgian beers and this is by far my favourite.
Tastes much better in the right glass too.
I like the taste, the feel and the strength.
I have not managed to buy Corsendonk Agnus as yet in the UK but make sure that I always stock up when I am anywhere near Belgium. I would welcome an English supplier.

4.92/5  rDev +23.6%

Disclaimer: I have been trying to get into Belgians for quite some time and have yet to have one that really impresses me; until now.

Freshness date on bottle reads 20/02/10= Feb. 20, 2010.

Review on 3/10/10 poured from bottle to my trusty tulip.

Amazing "pillowy" head, bright straw color, lots of "floaties".

thin body, crisp and clean with a rabid carbonation with a great frothy mouthfeel.

Mild candied sugar and spice up front with a beautiful citrus (orange) hop presence with mild undertones of a grassy hop as well.
Finishes the same with a mild bitterness and lingering flavors previously listed. Hides alcohol amazingly well.

So easy to drink and so tasty, wish I had another. This beer was given as a gift and I look forward to finding one that isn't past it's freshness date!

I wonder how much better it can get...

4.88/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is one of my all time favorite brews! I loved it the first time I had it 20 years ago, and I still love it now. Not as heavy as many Belgium dark beers, but still very complex.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

pours a hazy straw yellow with a four finger fluffy white head with a very easy pour that settles to a rocky one inch with patchs of sticky lace. aromas of apples, pears, and hint of spice, wheat malt mixing with fruit flavors and slight spice and touch of hops make for a great taste. i think the lower abv 7.50 % works so much better for this style than the higher abv tripel styles. mouthfeel light, dry, carbonation ok. really liked this one and would buy it again.

4.82/5  rDev +21.1%

Awfully amazing ale from Corsendonk. I overlook this too often.

A gorgeous huge head, lays like a snowdrift - fresh and lovely. A Michael Jackson "head-shot" pour - look in any of his fattie guides to int'l beer and you'll see what I mean. Lacing wants to drape, but only spatters. Soft sunlight yellow color, gold-tinged. Hazy yet bright.

Farmhouse spice and fruit characteristics to the smell, yet not as pungent as a saison can be. It's definitely a tripel profile, but it's wonderfully fresh-baked yeasty bready - and lightly fruity, sugar-crystalline sweet - combining to create a brioche-like aroma. Soft, herby noble hops waft above and to the back and fresh apple/pear notes surge up through the middle to the fore as well. All wonderfully blended and proportioned.

In the taste, naturally, the bready/brioche angle, apple/pear flavors, and the mellow farmhouse spice flourish magnificently and long linger lightly. A filling foundation of malt in the initial feel, settling light and dry with vague champagne characteristics. The alcohol is in my ideal range. I do not smell or taste it, yet a super-soothing warming feeling arises slowly along the way. The hops, floating through quietly, round out this beauty with the perfect touch of seasoning.

As close to perfect drinkability as I've encountered with the style. This should pair fabulously with a wide variety of autumn-seasonal cuisine - both dinner and dessert.

4.79/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer always makes me happy. Its balance of flavors and full body is spot-on. Probably the world's best commercially available Abbey Pale Ale.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%