Corsendonk Christmas Ale | Brouwerij Corsendonk

corsendonk.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by stirgy on 11-22-2001

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 607

This is one of the best beer I ever tasted, at the beginning I was skeptical about the alcohol grade but at the end the flavor is so delicate, is like drinking a 30 year old whisky, love the dark color and excellent carbonation, 2 Thumbs way Up!

Had Corsendonk Christmas Ale on draught at Mahar's Pub in Castleton-on-Hudson just before Christmas. It was offered at $5 for 10 oz. or $10/20oz. I started with a 10 oz. but had to follow it with a second 10 oz. It was one of those "oh I have the perfect beer for me" evenings.

Unfortunately, this beer is seasonal. I went back after Christmas and it was gone. Mahar said he was trying to obtain another keg. It was being searched for among the diminishing stock of Corsendonk Christmas Ale in the Albany/Capital Region, NY.

I hope to check in with Mahar tomorrow to see if he was successful in getting more.

If you come across Corsendonk Christmas Ale
on draught, don't drink it, save it for me.

I have had Corsendonk Christmas Ale in bottles a few times before and it is great that way too, but to my mind, no beer is better in the bottle than it is when you can get it draught style. I did however, recently purchase 2 750ml bottles so I could enjoy the Ale sometime later this year.

I recommend the Mahar's Pub in Castleton on Hudson, NY. It is a small neighborhood off-shoot of the long term, well established Mahar's Pub neighborhood pub on Madison Ave. in Albany, NY. Both Mahar's are serious places to drink a huge international variety of great beers.

The one beer that I just absolutely love!!! A great brewery that produces the Monk Brown Abbey Ale has stepped it up a notch with this seasonal offering. This dark beer is not renowned for its hops(which are on the light side) but for its maltiness. It is a thick and rich beer with flavors and spices pouring out. You don't really have to think hard about this one but rather just sit back and sip that 750Ml of magic malt. this should be the favorite seasonal offering of any Guiness drinker. Once again. Wow

4.96/5  rDev +20.1%

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a deep, clear ruby color. There are a lot of bubbles rising up to a thick tan head. The head last for awhile before falling to an 1/8" cap that leaves rings of lacing, the lacing slowly slides back into the beer.

The aromas are sweet, fruity, and spicy. I smell hints of stewed plums, ripe red apples, grape candy, poppy roll, anise, and coriander.

The first thing I taste is spiced apples, there are hints of plum, grape candy, anise, pepper, and coriander. Its more like a punch than it is a beer.

A little to light, and a little to dry. I sure would like for the flavors to stick around a little longer.

This is a highly drinkable, and also a highly deceptive beer. The alcohol is almost undetectable. I cant believe how many times Ive passed by this one; I'm glad that I finally tried this gem.

4.93/5  rDev +19.4%

I had this just after new years. Poured a dark, opaque brown into a standard pint glass. The smell was spicy and pleasant, I didn't know what to expect from this one but it exceeded even the bar set by the other Corsendonk ales I've had. I immediately wanted another one and regretted only picking up the one in my build your own from six pack from total wine. Isn't "Give me another" the highest praise ?

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

Appearance: We poured this amber and brown colored beer hard into a Duvel snifter glass, with plenty of room for the tan chunky head to expand upwards. It was dark and rich looking, with fine carbonation bubbles.

Smell: Rich, with candied fruits; big raisin and a bit of apple, all with a kick of spice.

Taste: Sweet with fruit flavors, malts and yeast, with a drying spice finish; coriander and a bit of pepper in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied, with warming heat and nicely viscous; finely carbonated that is almost a festive component.

Drinkability/Palitability: Medium to high - very smooth and warming, but at 8.50% ABV, this is not a Summer session beer, but a few would go down easy on a cold Winter night.

Notes: This is an A+ beer, not only in the style of beer, but across all brews. The best part about winter is the big heavy beers that are released and enjoyed. This bottle was popped open not only on a bitter cold day, but also a long workday full of manual labor and cleaning. Perfect end to the day.

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

I've actually had this one several times on tap but reviewing a bottle recently purchased served in a brewery glass.

A: Thin white head over a dark brown body with rubyish highlights. Head leaves lacing as I consume it.

S: Fruits, dark fruits, spices are hard to distinguish, I like that. I get some allspice and cinnamon, maybe some anise.

T: Lots more dark fruits, a bit like raisins or plums, spices come forwards in the finish, definitely get a bit of anise in there and some cinnamon. Malt comes a bit afterwards and a slight warming sensation from the alcohol. Can't tell if the floral comes from phenols or hop selection.

M: Rather well rounded. Not too much malt roundness, like a true Belgian this one finishes dry, not syrupy for the amount of alcohol.

D: Definitely could have another on a cold winter night. Though past that would not be a good idea with the 8.5% Definitely makes it on the list of favorite seasonals though.

4.84/5  rDev +17.2%

A- A deep ruby brown color

S- Strong scents of figs & cherries. Also yeast

T- Just as it smells. Figs & Cherries. Faint trail of citrus

M-Full bodied but not too much

O- My friend has raved about this beer for years. I went to a Whole Foods that offers alcohol and I saw this on the shelf. I grabbed the 2nd to last one and I am shocked I haven't made it a point to try this sooner. This beer is amazing & upon first taste it catapulted all the way to the top of my favorites list. If you find it...TRY IT

Corsendonk Christmas Ale from Brouwerij Corsendonk