Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Block House Brewing Pumpkin AleBlock House Brewing Pumpkin Ale
Notes:
View: Beers
Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 103 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Brownish orange and hazy with a thin off-white dissipating head. Doesn’t look too appealing really. Cinnamon and sweet pumpkin nose is really nice on this beer. Wow that’s a sweet pumpkin flavor, Really pumpkin pie like. Ok carbonation but could use more. A bit too sweet to have a lot but hey pretty good.

Oct 06, 2019
BB1313 from Ohio

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Pours a glowing burnt golden with some haze to it; creamy off-white head that falls leaving nice retention and lacing. The aromas have your typical pumpkin spices along with some caramel. Some apple notes. Sweet malts are there. The flavors basically follow the nose. Cinnamon and allspice come through. Some ginger and nutmeg. Some apple cider. More caramel. Some sweet potatoes. Subtle hints of graham crackers in the mix. Nice malt backbone. It's on the sweeter side and is borderline cloyingly sweet. Some sticky and syrupy qualities. Alcohol goes unnoticed for the most part, but there's a mild warmth in the finish. Mouthfeel is on the fuller side of medium-bodied with moderate to active carbonation. It's sharp.

This is a solid pumpkin ale. It's bold and has a bit more going on compared to your average pumpkin ale, but the sweetness hurts this one just a little bit. This one is fitting for the fall weather.

Sep 19, 2019
Saylor from Pennsylvania

4.78/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow this pumpkin beer has blown me away. Cant believe the price of this 6pk for what I am tasting. Has a very forward cinnamon and cream taste with the typical pumpkin pie spices on the way down. It is sweet for a beer but if pumpkin pie were a liquid then this is it!!

Aug 21, 2019
clayrock81 from Florida

3.79/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured an orange body with great head and lace patches. The aroma is overtly sugary/fake although the pumpkin spice and cinnamon do stand out. Pretty much a dessert beer but I didn't find it cloying, and maybe it was just me but it seemed to have enough pumpkin/cinnamon to take away from vanilla/sugary sweetness to avoid being saccharine as well. Not even pumpkin pie as more like pumpkin sugar cookie but it was worth having (only one).

Dec 05, 2018
bomb from Pennsylvania

1.76/5  rDev -50%

1/4 Keg from my friend Dave's house

L---Hazy Orange.

S--- Holy Cinnamon, Extract, Chemical, Fake News.

T--- Wow. The Fake Cinnamon Sugar Extract hits you over the head like a Kevin McCallister brick from a New York rooftop.

F---It feels like a mouthful of sugar.

O--- A sugar water drink.

Oct 23, 2018
IronLover from Pennsylvania

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Dark orange in color. Started with a light haze that slowly clarified leaving very good clarity. Poured with a short, off-white foam with medium retention. Light pumpkin aromas with medium cinnamon and nutmeg. Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a pleasant creamy smoothness.  Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors up front followed by a touch of spice. Super sweet pumpkin flavors throughout finished with a cloying sweetness. The sweetness threw this one out of balance and made this nearly undrinkable.

Oct 16, 2018
rudiecantfail from Pennsylvania

3.51/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L---Slightly hazy burnt orange color. Thick, off-white head that didn't have much retention, but left good lacing.

S---Very sweet. A ton of cinnamon, I mean a ton. It smells more like cinnamon than pumpkin pie. Maybe a touch of nutmeg.

T---Very sweet. A ton of cinnamon, I mean a ton. No actual pumpkin is noticeable. Little bit of nutmeg & clove rounds off the pumpkin pie spice aspect. ABV is completely masked.

F---It actually feels sweet, too. Like washing down a mouthful of Swedish Fish with a glass of Coke. Carbonation seems to be minimal.

O---Tastes more like pumpkin pie spice soda than a pumpkin beer. I suspect this one would draw in the Uggs wearing white girls for whom "fall" is a holiday season.

Sep 19, 2018
Jacked_Rippelson from Pennsylvania

4.59/5  rDev +30.4%

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers, but I will say that out of all the ones I've tried this one is actually quite tasty. It does it's job as a pumpkin beer, and its 7.0. Oh ah we getting drunk fellas.

Sep 16, 2018
MissBritt1279 from Pennsylvania

4.64/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for in a pumpkin beer all these years. It tastes just like pumpkin pie. I see people have been complaining about the sweetness, but I loved it. Yes it is sweet, but I thought it was delicious

Aug 31, 2018
GeorgianBayPackr from Pennsylvania

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

This is pumpkin pie soda pop. Very sweet. That said, I really liked the fact that it was not overly clove-spiced, and that it had a nice pumpkin/caramel/vanilla note to it. Pleasant, but this is "flavored malt beverage" . Drinkable & enjoyable, but hard to categorize it as beer

Nov 15, 2017
Mankowski from Pennsylvania

1.83/5  rDev -48%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I had this beer on tap at an outdoor festival. I am not a fan of pumpkin beers but this beer was way too sweet. It had a taste of really, really, sweet pumpkin. My thought was that this isn't beer at all but more of a sugary Kool-Aid drink. I say run away from this beer don't waste your money buying it. If someone offers you a free sample you can try it but I wouldn't even recommend that either. As I say in my reviews would I buy it and my answer is no. If this was the only beer available to drink I would no longer drink beer.

Oct 29, 2017
Ob512316 from Pennsylvania

3.86/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a beer glass.
Look: Amber with a medium white head.
Smell: cinnamon and more cinnamon, with a hint of pumpkin.
Taste: pumpkin pie, gingerbread, little too strong on the cinnamon.
Feel: the fact the 7% abv isn't noticeable, and the beer is from Pittsburgh, homer factor! Great pumpkin beer.

Aug 16, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.8/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating.
$2 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Hazy copper colored body beneath a finger-thick head of white foam that slowly settles to a thin cap, and then an average collar. Spots and splashes of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla similar to a Cinnamon Bun. Bright, fresh, and enticing.

Taste: Just as the aroma suggests it will be. There's a slight touch of toastiness and light caramel to the malt that gives it greater depth but it really does taste like a cinnamon bun. The label states that there are natural flavors added and I assume that's vanilla, although the cinnamon might be included in that as well. It's sweet, and it would make a great dessert beer as-is, but it also manages to somehow finish fairly dry, or at least not sticky or cloying in any way. Perhaps the 7.0% alcohol by volume is helping, but at the same time the alcohol doesn't stand out at all. If you look hard enough you can also find some apple-like fruitiness.

Feel: Medium bodied and gently crisp.

Overall: It's really interesting in that it's hardly anything like a beer at all. Whether that's good or not depends on your own sugar tooth. Skip the root beer and add a fews small scoops of vanilla ice cream to this for a pumpkin float!

Jul 31, 2017
Dodo2step from Pennsylvania

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- light orange with amber tones and half finger head with adequate lacing.

S- cinnamon, clove and graham cracker like. Pumpkin notes as well.

F- flavor mimics nose. strong on the pumpkin though

M- Creamy and chewy and smooth

O- a good pumpkin but it gets too dominate with the pumpkin notes at times.

Nov 20, 2016
theamericanpsycho79 from Pennsylvania

4.63/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On the spot review. I heard a few people that have tried this already saying it's too sweet. I say NO SUCH THING! I like sweet stuff, I like sweet beer. I am not a fan of hops or the bitter beer Budweiser taste. Call me weird, I don't care. I like supporting the local breweries and being I am from Pittsburgh, they are selling this right now by the truckload. I found a case of this at Market District for $10. The kid behind the counter said it's very popular and people are snatching it up. Well, Pumking (my current favorite pumpkin ale) isn't on shelves yet, and I heard great things about this and I heard negative things about this as well. This is an honest review by a pumpkin ale fan, not caring what critics say about it.

Look: Beautiful white foamy 2 finger head which slowly disappears.. There was barely any carbonation. I am worried. Nice color, though. Kind of a brownish, orangish yet clear hue. I am digging this color, nice lacing on the glass, too.

Smell: Yikes! Cinnamon graham cracker smells blast into your nose from the start. Some cloves, faint pumpkin, yet heavy spice aroma. This one doesn't appear to be weak, not like Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. From the smell, I doubt this will be watery pumpkin water. The smell is decent, but it is a little overpowering. Makes me even more curious about the taste. I am a tad worried there is an odd smell lingering in the background, too. I can't put my finger on it, it's like stale water with a dash of oil of cloves and some nutmeg, perhaps. Not entirely sure.

Taste: The moment of truth.... oh Hell. Spice erupts immediately onto my palette. Not what I was expecting to taste. Cinnamon bursts on to the scene, followed by a little graham cracker presence, a bit of vanilla and creaminess and a little pumpkin hanging out in the background. And with that odd smell I got from this, is the taste that equals it. I can't pick up on it, a strange clove-type mixed with clove and nutmeg taste which doesn't linger long, but it hits me with every sip. I imagine a reasonable amount of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon dissolved into a good ale. But really, I am enjoying this. I can't stop sipping it, I have not had anything like this.

Feel: no massive carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. I wish all ales felt like this, doesn't have a bitter or dry mouthfeel after drinking this. Perfection.

Overall: I was not expecting anything great from this, the critics tore it apart on here. But the people selling it said its great and it is flying off the shelves. I was only going to buy a single bottle, but I decided on a case, fearing I would end up with another case of garbage that I won't drink. I have at least 15 bottles of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale in my cold cellar inside a soggy, water damaged box that I won't touch. My only regret with this is I didn't get another case. I see myself going back up every week and getting a case of this, and a bargain at only $10. That is pretty much what the same store charges for ONE bottle of Pumking. I still like Pumking better, still love it the best out of all my pumpkin ales and it is STILL the king. But this one is maybe tied for second with Whole Hog. I would have to probably have a few more bottles or a side by side comparison. But honestly, I really like this ale and the flavor lingers on your palate long after you swallowed it down. A sweet ale? Yeah. Too sweet? No. Drinkable? Absolutely. Get a case of this, pumpkin ale fans. The only way I see you not liking it is if you like your bitter beers. Personally, I really like it.

Jul 31, 2016
Kenenscoe from Pennsylvania

3.57/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Clear caramel in color, seasonal spice smell (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg). Medium mouth feel, extremely sweet. I took a chance and bought a case. I like pumpkin beer and based my buy on the suggestion of a friend that has similar tastes in beer. Once you get passed the sweetness of the first one, it really isn't that bad. It's not pumpking mind you, nut good.

Oct 16, 2015
PA-hunter from Pennsylvania

2.38/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured 12 oz bottle into snifter glass. 7% abv

Appearance- Pours a dark copper with 2 finger head fast to dissipate. Pretty clear.

Smell- Lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Some pumpkin poking through.

Taste- Sweet candy malt with a noticeable table sugar like taste. Very little pumpkin. Tons of spice notes, just as in the nose. A mouthful of cinnamon. Beer finishes extremely sweet with very little grainy malt or pumpkin.

Mouthfeel- Medium in body and carbonation.

Overall- I feel like I just did the cinnamon challenge after this beer. Obnoxiously sweet. Lacking on pumpkin and attentiveness to malt. Pass.

Oct 06, 2015
MSCUSN from Florida

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Pumpkin and spice flavor is more bold than most pumpkin beer. It's very flavorful, but it's definitely sweeter than most pumpkin ales. I liked it, but not for everyone.

Sep 12, 2015
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked this up at McNeilly's Beer 6 Packs & More in Pittsburgh, intending to drink it on Monday in King of Prussia, but it ended up coming home with me to Chez Woody.

I Pop!ped the cap and began a heavy-handed pour, creating two fingers of foamy, light tan head with modest retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very pumpkin spicy and I was reminded of a Tastykake Pumpkin Pie. This beer had a biscuit malt quality that I found notable. Mmmm. Mouthfeel was medium. This was a very sweet pumpkin beer! It was spicy, but it also had an inherent maltiness that is uncommon in the style. It really reminded me more and more of a Tastykake Pumpkin Pie with every sip. Finish was semi-sweet, kept in check by the spices, but really leaning towards outright sweetness. Some nice lacing formed in the glass as an added bonus. I might not want more than one, due to its sweetness, but this was a pleasant change of pace.

Sep 11, 2015
reitzbrewing from Pennsylvania

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

on draft with caramel and sugar coated pilsner glass and it still tasted watery. disappointed with intensity of flavor. just found that i got last beer from keg so that could impact my review

Sep 04, 2015
StonewallSipper from Pennsylvania

3.99/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a nice orangey color. Aroma is of pumpkin pie, nice. Taste is sweet cinnamon clove. It tastes like pumpkin pie. I think this is an excellent fall pumpkin beer. This and Lancaster are my 2 favorite pumpkin beers.

Sep 04, 2015
ElHefe2000

4.76/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's been toooooo long since I've first tried this brew at PNC Park last year! Just happened to be at Giant Eagle today and they had about 12 cases sitting in the floor and at least two in on the cooler shelf, I HAD to buy this because I knew how quickly it sold last year! Some may say that it's too early for Pumpkin beer, but this is honest to god, hands down, THE best one on the market!! If you were to make pumpkin pie and drink the liquid, this is what you'd taste, minus the alcohol. I love this beer so much!!! #pumpkintheeverything

Aug 01, 2015
Yancey82 from Pennsylvania

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

I was really hoping to like this but I can't say that I do. The mega dose of spices is way too far forward and it is super sweet. There may be some pumpkin in there but I can't seem to get to it. I would not order it again and would only recommend it as a change of pace from Woodchuck .

Oct 03, 2014
AGirlKnowsBest from Pennsylvania

This is now my top favorite Pumpkin beer. I have gone through 4 cases and would go through more if I could find it. It takes like pumpkin pie in a bottle. 7% is a good abv. As I like to drink 2 beers, 3 max due to the carbonation. An ABV of 7% or above gets it done. I have tasted at least 30 pumpkin beers in the last 6 years and this truly has a pumpkin taste. It is a little on the sweeter side, but not so sweet that I have to stop at one. To me there is no other beer that tastes so truly "pumpkin". I'll skip the pie this year and have a block house, if I can find anymore.

Oct 01, 2014
ItsBeer4Me from Pennsylvania

2.5/5  rDev -29%

Had a 16 oz glass on tap after dinner. I really did not like this beer at all. It was way too heavy on the spices for me. I saw someone drinking this with sugar and cinnamon on the glass rim. I can't imagine what that tasted like. It was really sweet without the added sugar. It also left a strange aftertaste....Don't know what that was? I would not drink this beer again.

Sep 01, 2014
Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 82 out of 100 with 103 ratings