Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale | Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Block House Brewing Pumpkin AleBlock House Brewing Pumpkin Ale

Added by RogerSterling on 07-26-2014

View: Beers
3.79/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured an orange body with great head and lace patches. The aroma is overtly sugary/fake although the pumpkin spice and cinnamon do stand out. Pretty much a dessert beer but I didn't find it cloying, and maybe it was just me but it seemed to have enough pumpkin/cinnamon to take away from vanilla/sugary sweetness to avoid being saccharine as well. Not even pumpkin pie as more like pumpkin sugar cookie but it was worth having (only one).

2.87/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

1.76/5  rDev -49.1%

1/4 Keg from my friend Dave's house

L---Hazy Orange.

S--- Holy Cinnamon, Extract, Chemical, Fake News.

T--- Wow. The Fake Cinnamon Sugar Extract hits you over the head like a Kevin McCallister brick from a New York rooftop.

F---It feels like a mouthful of sugar.

O--- A sugar water drink.

My fav pumpkin beer!

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Dark orange in color. Started with a light haze that slowly clarified leaving very good clarity. Poured with a short, off-white foam with medium retention. Light pumpkin aromas with medium cinnamon and nutmeg. Medium bodied with medium carbonation and a pleasant creamy smoothness.  Cinnamon and nutmeg flavors up front followed by a touch of spice. Super sweet pumpkin flavors throughout finished with a cloying sweetness. The sweetness threw this one out of balance and made this nearly undrinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +24.3%

3.51/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

L---Slightly hazy burnt orange color. Thick, off-white head that didn't have much retention, but left good lacing.

S---Very sweet. A ton of cinnamon, I mean a ton. It smells more like cinnamon than pumpkin pie. Maybe a touch of nutmeg.

T---Very sweet. A ton of cinnamon, I mean a ton. No actual pumpkin is noticeable. Little bit of nutmeg & clove rounds off the pumpkin pie spice aspect. ABV is completely masked.

F---It actually feels sweet, too. Like washing down a mouthful of Swedish Fish with a glass of Coke. Carbonation seems to be minimal.

O---Tastes more like pumpkin pie spice soda than a pumpkin beer. I suspect this one would draw in the Uggs wearing white girls for whom "fall" is a holiday season.

4.59/5  rDev +32.7%

I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of pumpkin beers, but I will say that out of all the ones I've tried this one is actually quite tasty. It does it's job as a pumpkin beer, and its 7.0. Oh ah we getting drunk fellas.

3.67/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.85/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.64/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for in a pumpkin beer all these years. It tastes just like pumpkin pie. I see people have been complaining about the sweetness, but I loved it. Yes it is sweet, but I thought it was delicious

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

This is pumpkin pie soda pop. Very sweet. That said, I really liked the fact that it was not overly clove-spiced, and that it had a nice pumpkin/caramel/vanilla note to it. Pleasant, but this is "flavored malt beverage" . Drinkable & enjoyable, but hard to categorize it as beer

1.83/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I had this beer on tap at an outdoor festival. I am not a fan of pumpkin beers but this beer was way too sweet. It had a taste of really, really, sweet pumpkin. My thought was that this isn't beer at all but more of a sugary Kool-Aid drink. I say run away from this beer don't waste your money buying it. If someone offers you a free sample you can try it but I wouldn't even recommend that either. As I say in my reviews would I buy it and my answer is no. If this was the only beer available to drink I would no longer drink beer.

2.16/5  rDev -37.6%

Overall I would not
buy it again it sucks

3.86/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle poured into a beer glass.
Look: Amber with a medium white head.
Smell: cinnamon and more cinnamon, with a hint of pumpkin.
Taste: pumpkin pie, gingerbread, little too strong on the cinnamon.
Feel: the fact the 7% abv isn't noticeable, and the beer is from Pittsburgh, homer factor! Great pumpkin beer.

3.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pittsburgh Brewing Co. "Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, production coded but without freshness dating.
$2 @ Weis Market, Conshohocken, PA

Look: Hazy copper colored body beneath a finger-thick head of white foam that slowly settles to a thin cap, and then an average collar. Spots and splashes of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla similar to a Cinnamon Bun. Bright, fresh, and enticing.

Taste: Just as the aroma suggests it will be. There's a slight touch of toastiness and light caramel to the malt that gives it greater depth but it really does taste like a cinnamon bun. The label states that there are natural flavors added and I assume that's vanilla, although the cinnamon might be included in that as well. It's sweet, and it would make a great dessert beer as-is, but it also manages to somehow finish fairly dry, or at least not sticky or cloying in any way. Perhaps the 7.0% alcohol by volume is helping, but at the same time the alcohol doesn't stand out at all. If you look hard enough you can also find some apple-like fruitiness.

Feel: Medium bodied and gently crisp.

Overall: It's really interesting in that it's hardly anything like a beer at all. Whether that's good or not depends on your own sugar tooth. Skip the root beer and add a fews small scoops of vanilla ice cream to this for a pumpkin float!

3.55/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- light orange with amber tones and half finger head with adequate lacing.

S- cinnamon, clove and graham cracker like. Pumpkin notes as well.

F- flavor mimics nose. strong on the pumpkin though

M- Creamy and chewy and smooth

O- a good pumpkin but it gets too dominate with the pumpkin notes at times.

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

4.63/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

On the spot review. I heard a few people that have tried this already saying it's too sweet. I say NO SUCH THING! I like sweet stuff, I like sweet beer. I am not a fan of hops or the bitter beer Budweiser taste. Call me weird, I don't care. I like supporting the local breweries and being I am from Pittsburgh, they are selling this right now by the truckload. I found a case of this at Market District for $10. The kid behind the counter said it's very popular and people are snatching it up. Well, Pumking (my current favorite pumpkin ale) isn't on shelves yet, and I heard great things about this and I heard negative things about this as well. This is an honest review by a pumpkin ale fan, not caring what critics say about it.

Look: Beautiful white foamy 2 finger head which slowly disappears.. There was barely any carbonation. I am worried. Nice color, though. Kind of a brownish, orangish yet clear hue. I am digging this color, nice lacing on the glass, too.

Smell: Yikes! Cinnamon graham cracker smells blast into your nose from the start. Some cloves, faint pumpkin, yet heavy spice aroma. This one doesn't appear to be weak, not like Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale. From the smell, I doubt this will be watery pumpkin water. The smell is decent, but it is a little overpowering. Makes me even more curious about the taste. I am a tad worried there is an odd smell lingering in the background, too. I can't put my finger on it, it's like stale water with a dash of oil of cloves and some nutmeg, perhaps. Not entirely sure.

Taste: The moment of truth.... oh Hell. Spice erupts immediately onto my palette. Not what I was expecting to taste. Cinnamon bursts on to the scene, followed by a little graham cracker presence, a bit of vanilla and creaminess and a little pumpkin hanging out in the background. And with that odd smell I got from this, is the taste that equals it. I can't pick up on it, a strange clove-type mixed with clove and nutmeg taste which doesn't linger long, but it hits me with every sip. I imagine a reasonable amount of pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon dissolved into a good ale. But really, I am enjoying this. I can't stop sipping it, I have not had anything like this.

Feel: no massive carbonation, perfect mouthfeel. I wish all ales felt like this, doesn't have a bitter or dry mouthfeel after drinking this. Perfection.

Overall: I was not expecting anything great from this, the critics tore it apart on here. But the people selling it said its great and it is flying off the shelves. I was only going to buy a single bottle, but I decided on a case, fearing I would end up with another case of garbage that I won't drink. I have at least 15 bottles of Buffalo Bill's Pumpkin Ale in my cold cellar inside a soggy, water damaged box that I won't touch. My only regret with this is I didn't get another case. I see myself going back up every week and getting a case of this, and a bargain at only $10. That is pretty much what the same store charges for ONE bottle of Pumking. I still like Pumking better, still love it the best out of all my pumpkin ales and it is STILL the king. But this one is maybe tied for second with Whole Hog. I would have to probably have a few more bottles or a side by side comparison. But honestly, I really like this ale and the flavor lingers on your palate long after you swallowed it down. A sweet ale? Yeah. Too sweet? No. Drinkable? Absolutely. Get a case of this, pumpkin ale fans. The only way I see you not liking it is if you like your bitter beers. Personally, I really like it.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Block House Brewing Pumpkin Ale from Pittsburgh Brewing Co.